ADVERTISEMENT

Thank God for Rick and AD

I thought when Pitino left for Boston he pushed hard for Tubby to get the job. Donovan wasn’t then considered. I always thought that was strange, maybe ego.
Donovan had just started at Florida, without success yet. I think Yubby had taken Tulsa and Georgia to 2-3 consecutive S16’s.

Donovan had just started at Florida, without success yet. I think Yubby had taken Tulsa and Georgia to 2-3 consecutive S16’s.

Side note- people give Donovan all the credit for building Florida (which he obviously crushed it there), but it was actually Lon Kruger who got that thing rolling and took them to their first ever Final Four in 1994.

Once upon a time I wanted Kruger to come be the guy here.

Donovan would be so great here, but I doubt he ever does it.

But man he would kill it here.

Jesus Christ some u bozos need to lighten up. Look, I know tubby won the title lol. I love that man, even named my first son Saul.

Don't forget Doron Lamb on that 2012 team. He was our leading scorer in that tournament. Or Terrence Jones. He went from potential POY in the preseason into second fiddle to AD.

Some of this narrative is a bit off, and you already know that.

The healthy side of the '97 team lost Mercer, Prickett, and Epps. Prickett, Edwards, and of course Anderson were hobbled in the tournament, and DA couldn't play at all.

Not exactly an apples to apples comparison, despite your effort to undersell Pitino's coaching job in '97, which is laughable given the limitations based on health alone for that team.

Plus, the '98 team added Sheppard (back from redshirt), Evans, Bradley, and had an improved version of Mohammed, Magloire, Padgett, Edwards, Turner, and Mills. Magloire went on to become an NBA All-Star. Mohammed played 18 seasons in the NBA. Padgett and Bradley were first round picks. That team had six NBA players.

The '97 team, with one All-American out of the game and two other rotation players hurt, still almost beat an Arizona team that featured four NBA players, including THREE lottery picks. Tubby won that title. On that point you are correct. But there's a reason he was able to take them as far as he did, and a reason he never returned to that mountain top once the last of Pitino's veterans washed off shore.

If you want a better comparison, imagine the '98 team without Sheppard and with Padgett and Mills playing through injuries. Now ask yourself if Smith could have taken that team to the finals and lost in OT.
This!

Was alluding to tubby winning with Rick’s players lol. Should’ve just said thank god for AD or it’d be going on 25 years.
Why couldn't Rick win in 97 with his own players...they were better than 98.

Lol I don't care about calipari but Rick's only legitimate title came when he had NINE NBA players

Reactions: ArcadiaFan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT