ADVERTISEMENT

That last 50 seconds took forever!

mdlUK.1

All-American
Dec 23, 2002
Thank God for Reed, That Hubbard kid is gonna be a problem in the future. GREAT WIN! Go Cats!

Reactions: sosoblue
Hubbard didn't do anything like this at Rupp, and although he scored 32 against LSU and around that or more tonight, I don't think he was hitting those absurd Steph Curry-like circus shots.

But you know what? Screw Hubbard and his circus shots. We have REED!

Reactions: mdlUK.1 and pauled
That last 4 minutes almost game me a heart attack and I am healthy as a horse.

I was getting pissedf those last 50 seconds. Like how do you go up 8 and then let them do that.

A couple of broken defense sets, a bad pass, and then not fouling their big did (a 55% FT shooter). Ugh.

That would’ve been a very bad way to lose.
Luckily Reed gaveth and we won.

It was 11 seconds and yes you do.
It wasn't 11 seconds because you have to foul ahead of the shot. Even if was 11 seconds, that's still too long, and poor strategy. If they make both free throws, you are up by 1. They will foul immediately. If you miss one or both free throws, they have the ball with the final shot to win the game. That's why you generally foul with only 6 seconds or less on the clock. By the time you inbound the ball and shoot free throws it makes a last second shot for the win much less likely. You don't see coaches foul with much more than on the clock because you give the other team the last possession with perhaps a chance to win the game, depending on how the free throw shooting goes.

WH
It was the worst end of game coaching I've ever seen with the exception of not calling a timeout at the end.
Why in the world would you call a timeout in that situation? We were scoring just as much as they were and we had the upper hand. Calling a timeout in that situation is a horrible idea. How many times have you seen a coach call a timeout only to have a spectacular play cancelled by the timeout?

It wasn't 11 seconds because you have to foul ahead of the shot. Even if was 11 seconds, that's still too long, and poor strategy. If they make both free throws, you are up by 1. They will foul immediately. If you miss one or both free throws, they have the ball with the final shot to win the game. That's why you generally foul with only 6 seconds or less on the clock. By the time you inbound the ball and shoot free throws it makes a last second shot for the win much less likely. You don't see coaches foul with much more than on the clock because you give the other team the last possession with perhaps a chance to win the game, depending on how the free throw shooting goes.
Had Reed missed the buzzer beater I guarantee you (and everyone else) would be saying they should have fouled up three.

Had Reed missed the buzzer beater I guarantee you (and everyone else) would be saying they should have fouled up three.
No because you don’t extend the game when you’re up. We could have played the free throw game for 4 more possessions with that much time. Kid it an amazing low percentage shot.

No, it's just poor strategy to foul with that much time on the clock. Just because it's not 100% fail safe doesn't mean it's not the correct strategy.

Reactions: mdlUK.1
I normally would say you have to wait until less than 6 seconds left to foul up 3 because the goal of fouling up 3 is to force them to have to make the first FT then miss the 2nd on purpose and if you get the rebound it is basically game.

The reason I normally wouldn't foul up 3 with more than 6 seconds left is it allows them to make 2 FT's and then you are a turnover or a missed FT from now bringing losing into the equation.

Now all that said considering Hubbard just drilled two 3's and they made the mistake of throwing it to the 55% FT shooter at the top of the key I would have taken my chances of fouling that guy who has a strong chance to miss (though he went 2/2 when he got fouled on the Reed pass late).

Also we have Reed and Reeves who can hit the FT's at the other ends so as long as we get 1 of them the ball I will take my chances in a FT shooting contest at the end.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT