ADVERTISEMENT

Thamel said UK was going after Donovan

RunninRichie

All-American
Sep 5, 2019
What happened?

Speaking on ESPN’s SportsCenter, Thamel called Donovan Kentucky’s “Hail Mary hire, the home run hire” and the candidate “Kentucky is going to make say no.” Thamel also placed Hurley and retired Villanova coach Jay Wright in the “aspirational” category for the Wildcats.

Thammel said on TV that the timing on Donavan was bad because we’d have to wait forever. Mitch can’t take that risk.

Timing isn't going to matter if you get the hire wrong and don't even attempt to make a splash. Donovan is the coach of a team fighting to play into the playoffs and will likely get destroyed in the first round if they even make it that far. They've been objectively bad on and off since he's been there, largely through roster mismanagement and wild trades that haven't panned out.

If Mitch called Donovan and his answer was, "Call me back in 2 weeks", fine you move on. But if Mitch didn't even attempt to hire him because of the potential issue of "timing" then he needs to head to Arkansas with Cal.

Timing isn't going to matter if you get the hire wrong and don't even attempt to make a splash. Donovan is the coach of a team fighting to play into the playoffs and will likely get destroyed in the first round if they even make it that far. They've been objectively bad on and off since he's been there, largely through roster mismanagement and wild trades that haven't panned out.

If Mitch called Donovan and his answer was, "Call me back in 2 weeks", fine you move on. But if Mitch didn't even attempt to hire him because of the potential issue of "timing" then he needs to head to Arkansas with Cal.
Donovan is my #1 choice. Just posting exactly what Thammel said as far as timing.

I'm not as high on Billy D as others.

He's been out of the college game for long enough that it's no given that he can make the transition back. I also think he's getting a LITTLE too much mileage out of two titles with the same team coming back. I'm MUCH more impressed when a coach can win with different teams, either partially or fully new squads. A LOT of title winners over the last decade, would win the next year if they returned their team like that.

Idk, not a big fan of the NBA route. I think those guys are there for a reason. They don't want to deal with the college game.

Last edited:
I’d be okay with waiting for the end of the Bulls season if you had secured Billy this week. Even if it’s not public for a while, I’ll get over it.

I'm not as high on Billy D as others.

He's been out of the college game for ongoing enough that it's no given that he can make the transition back. I also think he's getting a LITTLE too much mileage out of two titles with the same team coming back. I'm MUCH more impressed when a coach can win with different teams, either partially or fully new squads. A LOT of title winners over the last decade, would win the next year if they returned their team like that.

Idk, not a big fan of the NBA route. I think those guys are there for a reason. They don't want to deal with the college game.

You're having a rough night amigo. Winning back to back in the NCAA has been accomplished by 7 schools in NCAABB history. Since 1990 only two have done so. Prior to that is a wild card because the tournament was a sham show with half of the good teams at home.

The variability of having to win six straight games under the pressure cooker of the NCAA tournament is absurd. He had a great group of guys, surely, but he assembled that group and coached them to those championships with astounding acumen.

Billy Donovan isn't my first choice either, but I have zero doubt he would be the best possible hire outside of a home run like Hurley (isn't leaving UCONN, nor should he), Wright (happily retired) and Stevens (will never coach again).

It's not like he forgot how to coach basketball by being a coach in the pinnacle of the sport and he could hire a staff of current NCAA assistants that can help fill in the NIL/recruiting skills he may lack. Either way, recruits will know who Billy Donovan is and will come here for the both the coach and UK (IMO).

I think Billy would of already come if his heart was truly in it. I don't hold anything against him from the past 2 rejections. I just know 3rd time won't be a charm unfortunately

Reactions: susan2361
No, you specifically said Bible meetings. You know exactly what you said and why you said it. So, I'll ask again. Why would a Bible meeting offend you?

He mentioned bible meetings because it's pretty clear that if Drew is the hire it isn't because he's the best name available, it's because he's a friend of Mitch's who happens to share a ton of interests (like the bible).

Ya'll need something else to be offended about these days?

No, you specifically said Bible meetings. You know exactly what you said and why you said it. So, I'll ask again. Why would a Bible meeting offend you?
I can answer for him because I think the same thing.

It’s not about your religion, it’s the fact that Mitch chooses Drew for the wrong reasons - his bible / religion sharing buddy is not a reason to hire a basketball coach.

Get over your softness about your religion. Grow some skin while you’re at it.

I truly think he already touched bases with several of these guys when he was considering firing cal and has no reason to go back now

I'll answer that. Cuz y is Barnharts morality allowed to play a part n this university's coaching hire? Idgaf what dude does n his free time. Ain't nobody hating on church. But when he puts THAT criteria above his actual job, its an issue. And let's not forget that ole Drew ain't exactly squeaky clean...any other questions?

• Haha
Reactions: MbergCat
Would a coach who thinks the Bible is horse 'ish offend you? I 'identify' as Christian, but cuss like a sailor, but it would not bother me whether the coach was religious or not. He's there to WIN GAMES, not END GENERATIONAL POVERTY.

• Haha
Reactions: teli and MbergCat
I'll answer that. Cuz y is Barnharts morality allowed to play a part n this university's coaching hire? Idgaf what dude does n his free time. Ain't nobody hating on church. But when he puts THAT criteria above his actual job, its an issue. And let's not forget that ole Drew ain't exactly squeaky clean...any other questions?
Why does everyone assume something so silly? Everyone here has been screaming for a new coach for years. Anyone but Cal we say. Now, Cal is gone and we could potentially end up with a very good option.

I think it is a vanilla hire as far as personality goes, but the guy seems to be a good coach and a good man. Making the Bible comment was childish. Sorry that it gets old seeing people constantly bash anything to do with Christianity.

Is that a problem. Or would you rather see them kneel and disrespect the flag? You atheists and leftists need to move to California. This is the south. We love God and country.
Not everyone on in the south does, lol. You're greatly exaggerating. And I know people who live in the New England area who are super, super religious. They would make southern "Christians" look tame :D

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT