ADVERTISEMENT

Texas Tech, Foul Rate, and how Gonzaga got Higginsed

I think that’s sometimes the case. Maybe often. I’ve always said that the point spread is a score card, even for an honest ref. Keeping it close to the spread means the game went how it was supposed to.

So whether consciously or subconsciously, I think refs adjust calls as the game score hovers around the spread. I don’t think they’re all cheating, but I think some of them are.
Agree 100%. If anyone read the Tim Donaghy article a while back, you can see how easy it was for him in the early stages to manipulate games without anyone noticing. I’m sure there is some specific cheating going on. Most definitely for money or power in some way or form. It’s another human element to the game.

I assume Gonzaga's 16 turnovers are also the officials fault? Some of you complain more about officials than soccer fans, and that is hard to do.

When the teams start playing perfect games, and the coaches start coaching perfect games, that's when we can expect officials to start officiating perfect games. Humans make mistakes, and that includes players, coaches and officials. Until that happens, in my opinion it's just an excuse.

Ain’t that the truth. Go Spartans. But I honestly believe that Higgins and Ayers were sent in to clear Gonzaga out of the way. It’s a shame that I even have reason to think like that.
It was simple, Texas Tech can not beat duke, and Gonzaga has already proven they can. It was already set up for duke to win the tournament before it even started, and how many of those 16 turnovers did Texas Tech foul that were not called ?

I assume Gonzaga's 16 turnovers are also the officials fault? Some of you complain more about officials than soccer fans, and that is hard to do.

When the teams start playing perfect games, and the coaches start coaching perfect games, that's when we can expect officials to start officiating perfect games. Humans make mistakes, and that includes players, coaches and officials. Until that happens, in my opinion it's just an excuse.

Some of their turnovers were poor play, or good defense, but some were strips that should have been fouls, as well as possibly incorrect charge calls. So yes, some were on the refs.

It was simple, Texas Tech can not beat duke, and Gonzaga has already proven they can. It was already set up for duke to win the tournament before it even started, and how many of those 16 turnovers did Texas Tech foul that were not called ?

I think TT can beat Duke, but it will be interesting to see what kind of whistle they get if that matchup happens.

Duke needs to go inside to score, and TT won’t let you. I’m guessing TT will get rung up with fouls early and often. But I’m hoping MSU makes this a moot point.

Edit: In the first matchup, TT committed 24 turnovers. Got to believe they take care of the ball better now, but if Duke can turn you over they will kill you.

Last edited:
Chalk tomorrow night just like Thursday. Don't know why but in the tournament it's usually one great night and the other one not so good.

Well. He’s done it now. Cal is too nice and subtle to call out officiating often.

Mark Few on the other hand will lay into the NCAA once the tourney is over. And I hope he does. SOMETHING HAS TO CHANGE.

Reactions: UKUGA and Aike
Texas Tech can beat anyone playing the way they played tonight. Much rather play Virginia but that's just me.

Higgins getting exposed a little more nationally now that media darling Gonzaga is the victim of his “incompetence”.

It doesn't matter. This is set up for us to get Higgins and Ayres.

And there is nothing UK can do about it. They need to prove that their ability to appoint whatever refs they want is stronger than any ability that UK has to stop them.

You don't think that the NCAA and the ref's association don't want to publicly slam Kentucky? This ought to prove they can do what they want, when they want. Higgins should not have even been allowed in the same state as an NCAA game.

But people forget that his best friend is the head of the Southwest/Big 12 conference.

Reactions: Montana81 and Aike
Not the way Tech was playing imho.

You don’t think that if TT had been called for a few more fouls, Gonzaga had shot a few more free throws, and was in the lead instead of trailing, that the outcome could have been different?

Or do you think the game was cleanly called and TT was just playing good D without fouling? It’s cool if that’s your opinion, just trying to understand where you’re coming from.

Reactions: UKCatnNC and UKUGA
It's all corrupt.

I am to the point where the only games I can stomach are UK games, because my love for the Cats is strong.

I did not watch a game tonight and I will not be watching the Duke-MSU game because it will be more of the same.

As soon as the Cats are out, I am out.

Reactions: UKUGA and Aike
You don’t think that if TT had been called for a few more fouls, Gonzaga had shot a few more free throws, and was in the lead instead of trailing, that the outcome could have been different?

Or do you think the game was cleanly called and TT was just playing good D without fouling? It’s cool if that’s your opinion, just trying to understand where you’re coming from.
I do not think the botched out of bounds call was the biggest play that may have decided the game. I also think Tech's defense is a very tough out but when Perkins reached over the baseline to foul, that was the deciding factor in the game.

I predict that Higgins disappears if he refs another UK game.

Take that any way you wish.

Edit:
I "probably" mean he metaphorically disappears for a while due to all the UK fans booing him.

Yeah, that's it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aike
I know this:

In 2015, Bo Ryan didn’t enjoy the officiating nearly as much in the game immediately following his Higgins-reffed game against KY.

No doubt. Almost a complete reversal of how Wisconsin was officiated versus us. Duke shot twice as many free throws against them than we did despite the fact we only took 4 threes until Aaron Harrison’s meaningless last second heave.

And the duke game was actually being officiated well until halftime. Coach K spent about five minutes ripping the officials before heading into the locker room. Wisconsin never sniffed the bonus in the second half.

Reactions: UKUGA
How does Higgins get to call this game when he primarily calls Big 12 games? They should have had an ACC, Big10 or SEC crew call that one.

I am AMAZED that he gets to call ANY tournament games considering how incompetent he has been PROVEN to be.:weary:

HE SUCKS!!!
I agree with what you are saying; however, do you actually believe rooferee is incompetent? I believe he gets the results he wants, even more so when teamed with ayers. Rooferee is a a big 12 suck, and in my opinion, a dishonest man and official. GO CATS!!

I think after the dUKe game against UCF, many fans, even more casual ones, have began to step up and take notice of officiating.

Granted, it’s probably a little too late this year, but I think a lot of fans have noticed. I think Williamson is a great talent, but it’s disgusting how much he’s protected.

Folks are seeing it this tournament...us with keen eyes have already known

Last edited:
I am not sure I can watch a Cat game called by higgins and ayers. I am not sure my old heart is strong enough. I would sure hate to miss a game after all these years; but I must think of my health. GO CATS!!

Some of their turnovers were poor play, or good defense, but some were strips that should have been fouls, as well as possibly incorrect charge calls. So yes, some were on the refs.
I didn't see any incorrect PC calls (charges). Higgins missed the out of bounds, as that was his line call not the lead official on the end line. I watched the whole game and I thought Gonzaga got slightly the worst of the whistle... one strip on their big man was clearly a foul. However, I've seen much worse than that. They shot 7/26 from three, and their left handed wing guy took several very questionable shots at key times in the game that hurt them.

Reactions: Aike
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT