Gold Member
Feb 4, 2004
University of Louisville Logo

at
Louisville
Mar 8 (Sat)

L, 48-81
KFC Yum! Center (Louisville, Ky.)

This was a truly awful loss in conference play on the road.

Anyone have a guess as to which team stunk it up this badly, this late in the season?

2014 UConn, eventual National Champion (should have been runner-up, as we all know all too well).

But that team was talented and didn't really put it together until late in the season, then went on an amazing run. I see this team having that type of ability as well. We will have a few more losses we'd rather not have, but let's stick with these guys and see if they can go on a late season run as well.

Not what the OP is talking about, but the 2014 Kentucky Wildcats lost 84-65 on that same date - March 8 - at Florida.

That was when I knew for sure that Cats team wasn't going to amount to anything in the post-season.

(Think about that a minute. On March 8, Louisville beats the eventual national champions by 33. That same day, Kentucky loses by 19. And yet, when those two teams play a little more than two weeks later, Kentucky wins. It's a strange game. And all that matters is being hot at the right time.)

Last edited:
Reactions: G-PIP and jayhovah
Not what the OP is talking about, but the 2014 Kentucky Wildcats lost 84-65 on that same date - March 8 - at Florida.

That was when I knew for sure that team wasn't going to amount to anything in the post-season.
Yet came back only to lose in the SECT final game against UF because James Young slipped.

Reactions: MdWIldcat55
2014 UConn, eventual National Champion (should have been runner-up, as we all know all too well).

But that team was talented and didn't really put it together until late in the season, then went on an amazing run. I see this team having that type of ability as well. We will have a few more losses we'd rather not have, but let's stick with these guys and see if they can go on a late season run as well.
Yeah, I'm starting to think of this team more like the 2014 UK team. Very talented, but with a lot of bumps, bruises and losses during the season. UK frosh at USC looked like green freshmen. They'll improve.

Reactions: G-PIP

That was when I knew for sure that team wasn't going to amount to anything in the post-season.
I knew 2017 UK team wasn't amounting to anything when they lost 3 out of 4 in late Jan/early Feb...the last of which being an 88-66 loss to UF.

I remember at the end of the UF game when UK was down by 25, Monk was smiling on the bench, and our fanbase freaked out.

That's when I knew for sure we wouldn't be a last second shot/terribly reffed game away from the FF.

Reactions: MdWIldcat55
That's great but is not the norm.

If UK hits 12 to 15 threes a game maybe they can make a deep run. Issue is last game attempted 13.

Yeah, I'm starting to think of this team more like the 2014 UK team. Very talented, but with a lot of bumps, bruises and losses during the season. UK frosh at USC looked like green freshmen. They'll improve.
Then they will leave

One advantage that team had was they were physically strong. Once they got tougher they used that size to grind people down and defend.

UL zoned UConn in that game. We got beat because they ball-screened Dakari over and over with Napier. We zoned a few possessions in the first half but never went back to it.

Sport outcomes aren’t transitive.

Film at 10.

People seem to imagine— despite a blue million examples to the contrary— that athletic performance is a fixed capacity.

They use that belief to insinuate all manner of moral ramifications to wins and losses. IOW, lots of people are insane.

Mighty Cassey strikes out far more often than he hits the winning homer.

It’s a game. Win or lose everything else in your life is still the same.

I think people forget how fluky that title game was.

UConn made the tourney that year because they won their conference tourney on a last second shot. Heck we made the SEC Final and dog limped into that NCAA tourney. We even had our first game start with a technical.l before the game even started. And one of the twins barely catches rim in the first free throw! Lots of luck for both of our squads to make the final that year.

That’s not the norm. The only way we turn this around is tor curb stomp Arky and then get a pair of good Q1 wins at UT or AU.

Season’s not over. But Sat is now a must win or I fear the wheels come off.

I think people forget how fluky that title game was.

UConn made the tourney that year because they won their conference tourney on a last second shot. Heck we made the SEC Final and dog limped into that NCAA tourney. We even had our first game start with a technical.l before the game even started. And one of the twins barely catches rim in the first free throw! Lots of luck for both of our squads to make the final that year.

That’s not the norm. The only way we turn this around is tor curb stomp Arky and then get a pair of good Q1 wins at UT or AU.

Season’s not over. But Sat is now a must win or I fear the wheels come off.

Yes but the tournament is fluky every year. Rarely does the best team win it. This team has what it takes to be in a position to compete for a title, if they can get hot at the end of the year. My opinion of course.

Still, even if all goes perfectly with the team's development, a lot of luck is needed to win it all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT