ADVERTISEMENT

Talked to UL donor today...

UNC will also sue. The little guy apparently has to grin and bear it. The big boys get to spend millions going to court to dispute until they get the verdict they desire.

Reactions: howercat
I'd be shocked if the UL board didn't step in and avoid spending millions on a lawsuit only to have the UL name sullied even further (if that's possible). At some point there has to be an adult stand up and say "enough is enough".

They bought hookers for 16 and 17 year old recruits as well as their own players. Multiple times over four years. They need to really let that sink in and just accept the small punishment they got.

I think they have a better shot, probably much better shot, at the appeal than they would in court.

Reactions: Tannerdad
They need to let this go and let time do its job. People will forget about it over time.

UNC will also sue. The little guy apparently has to grin and bear it. The big boys get to spend millions going to court to dispute until they get the verdict they desire.
I'm not so sure UNC will sue even if they are hit with major penalties. They might threaten a lawsuit and have people like Bilas making those threats public in an attempt to intimidate the NCAA, hoping they will lessen the severity of the penalties. I seriously doubt they would want Roy and everyone else involved in the scandal to have to testify under oath.

Reactions: TM2013
Actually there is not much to appeal yet. The NCAA has asked THEM to identify all the games played by ineligible players. What will UofL appeal? Their own list of ineligible players that THEY admit to? If they do not identify all of the players themselves who the NCAA and everyone else already know to be ineligible (banner pulling event)...that this will be the point that the NCAA would seem be the point to admit to the three on the floor during the NCAA2013 run. Then there might be something to be worthy of an appeal. Certainly not 5 games for Pitino. Certainly not probation until 2021. The true hammer is dangling above their heads certainly....but the NCAA is requiring UofL to cut the string that allows the hammer to hang there rather than to fall. Until that happens I'm not sure what they argue in court. JMHO

Reactions: feelthebeirne
Just because he is a donor doesnt mean he knows anything of substance. My neighbor is a UL donor and he doesnt know squat and basically just shrugs his shoulders when this is brought up.

There is a difference between a donor and an insider.

I don't think the university will let this go to court. I am kinda surprised they have let it get this far. I mean they are lucky they didn't get the death penalty for providing felony level crimes to children (lets not forget that some one who is 16-17 is still considered a child)

I don't get it.

They bought hookers for recruits and players.
Fact

Get punished and move on

Reactions: USSLair
I honestly see no way UL would take this to court. I can't imagine UL wants McGee to be under oath and telling the whole truth on this mess.

Why would he have to tell the truth?? Someone is lying all the time in court & they aren't worried about perjury.

Reactions: MO_Blue
Why would he have to tell the truth?? Someone is lying all the time in court & they aren't worried about perjury.
I am sure so much lying would be going on that the judge would have to throw the case out. but I would pay good money to watch that on court TV

Take the NCAA to court. All you're gonna do is become a joke on late night talk shows and sell more books for Katina Powell.

Some of you are silly. McGee would never even testify. The NCAA would subpoena him. He would take the stand and plead his 5th amendment rights to every single question.

He simply would not tell the courts he 1) contracted with prostitutes and 2) gave them to minors. Won't happen.

Louisville would take to court the severity of the punishment only if they are forced to vacate the title.

The longer they drag this out, the greater the consequence in the court of public opinion.
Public opinion on this has been very interesting - because it's so polarized. No one, far as i can tell, is saying, "Yeah, that's about right." You have basketball people, Bilas, Vitale, those who know the value of a banner, saying "way too harsh". But there is a chorus of others - John Barr quoted someone in the room for the player interviews who said Louisville/Pitino "skated". You have the piece in the highered.com website crying about what Louisville got away with. You have papers in Syracuse and elsewhere wondering why Louisville got off "so easy."

Those groupings are bad for Louisville, my guess. The NCAA is much more concerned about what an education trade periodical might say about it than they are about the likes of Bilas and Vitale, who always defend coaches and always criticize the NCAA.

Reactions: uky8unc5
I'd be shocked if the UL board didn't step in and avoid spending millions on a lawsuit only to have the UL name sullied even further (if that's possible). At some point there has to be an adult stand up and say "enough is enough".

They bought hookers for 16 and 17 year old recruits as well as their own players. Multiple times over four years. They need to really let that sink in and just accept the small punishment they got.

They might have to start a couple of outside strippers joints to pay for that.

ADVERTISEMENT