ADVERTISEMENT

Talked to UL donor today...

Some of you are silly. McGee would never even testify. The NCAA would subpoena him. He would take the stand and plead his 5th amendment rights to every single question.

He simply would not tell the courts he 1) contracted with prostitutes and 2) gave them to minors. Won't happen.

Louisville would take to court the severity of the punishment only if they are forced to vacate the title.

Once again you miss the point completely because you choose to.

Not to mention, the NCAA is a private organization. The courts would be hesitant to get involved. They dont care how the NCAA hands down punishment.

Louisville is not going to court over this. It's all posturing. Anyone with experience in life past 30 years old understands exactly whats going on.

If UL goes to court against the NCAA then they are more foolish than I thought they were and I think they are very foolish. No court is going to rule against an organization UL volunteered to join for enforcing their rules. Think about the consequences if UL did prevail. Private organizations would have no rights at all.

No if UL has a problem with the NCAA then they need to get out of it. They are not forced to be in it.

Reactions: Ugoff and morgousky
i call BS on this going to court
it is not going to happen
watch the ul press conference, near the end of it a reporter asked in a round about way what ul would do if the appeal failed
Smrt had a look of "what are you talking about"

not to mention i highly doubt any court would hear their case

watch the ul press conference, near the end of it a reporter asked in a round about way what ul would do if the appeal failed

Part of me wants them to try.

I thought they had fully burned down their school's reputation, but they may actually be able to slink even lower. :popcorn:

Once again you miss the point completely because you choose to.

Not to mention, the NCAA is a private organization. The courts would be hesitant to get involved. They dont care how the NCAA hands down punishment.

Louisville is not going to court over this. It's all posturing. Anyone with experience in life past 30 years old understands exactly whats going on.

"With experience in life past 30 years old " [roll]

That was funny.

Seriously tho, UL would be absolutely moronic to take this to court / try and sue the NCAA. I mean we all agree the NCAA committee kinda sucks - but I mean really ... it's not like UL is a media or NCAA darling (Duke , UNC , notre dame , UM, bama etc ...) UL needs to learn their role and slow it down. If they wanna piss the NCAA off even more (spouting off at the mouth now about it being "unjust" blah blah blah is bad enough ) then by all means go for it. Then they will absolutely BURY you. You're louisville. You aren't special.

Maybe the NCAA and UL have this worked out. UL threatens a lawsuit before the end of the appeal. The NCAA then cave and back off the penalties saying it wanted to enforce its rules strictly but can't afford a lawsuit since it is spending so much protecting student athletes. "Everybody" wins. UL gets their wins back. The NCAA pretended it wanted to be a tough and fair association. Everything is then set up to let UNC**** skate since they can't let UL go but hammer UNC***. That seems totally ridiculous but we live in ridiculous times.

I'd be shocked if the UL board didn't step in and avoid spending millions on a lawsuit only to have the UL name sullied even further (if that's possible). At some point there has to be an adult stand up and say "enough is enough".

They bought hookers for 16 and 17 year old recruits as well as their own players. Multiple times over four years. They need to really let that sink in and just accept the small punishment they got.

If they sue the NCAA, the NCAA can subpoena all kinds of records and witnesses. You talk about turning over a rock and seeing the ants scurry for cover. I just can't see UL submitting themselves to that. If they do, what a circus. The country will really get to see how corrupt UL actually is.

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
If they go to court won't they have to testify everything under oath? Not sure they will want that. As far as the appeal, they have nothing to lose so why not appeal it?

If UL goes to court against the NCAA then they are more foolish than I thought they were and I think they are very foolish. No court is going to rule against an organization UL volunteered to join for enforcing their rules. Think about the consequences if UL did prevail. Private organizations would have no rights at all.

No if UL has a problem with the NCAA then they need to get out of it. They are not forced to be in it.
Bingo. This in a nutshell. In addition, why would the NCAA give a chit about going to court? The NCAA would win even if a court decided to hear the case, which as stated above, no court would. The NCAA would win on a Summary Judgment motion anyway. And money isn't an issue for the NCAA- who do you think pays their attorney fees? The member universities do.

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
Sperm donor?

lil_squirter_zps8lbaoqnv.jpeg

The random donor has no idea what Louisville is going to do. There is now way in the world they try to pursue this in a court of law.

I donated to the Louisville loop this weekend but make no pretense that I know what the hell they are doing with that money.

He would take the stand and plead his 5th amendment rights to every single question.

I don't know how it would work in a civil case, but in criminal court you can grant immunity to a witness so there is no longer a basis for pleading the fifth. Refusing to testify then becomes contempt of court. It would be great television if they did this.

Cool, put Pitino, Jurich, McGee, Katina and everyone else under oath. They take this to court than they can force McGee to talk. We can find out who really knew what when they're under oath. UL don't want that. I for one am all for it.

Still couldn't force McGee to talk.

If UL (or UNC) sues the NCAA then wouldn't it be about procedures and not the details of the scandal? Would pimptino really be forced to testify if he knew about it under oath? God that would be great.

"taking it to trial".... sounds like fan reaction.... and if said person is a booster he better ante up another $10.
i wanna see who blinks first the NCAA or UofL/UNC...
it needs to happen sometime.

Donor? My neighbor gives UL $500 a year. He is a donor. Doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground. My father in law gives 15k a year. He is a donor and hasn't a clue of what's going on. Actually admitted on Sunday that Rick should go.

The combination of the Audit, the Yum Center, and upside down ham sandwiches in Minardi Hall have really pushed them to go to court?

"taking it to trial".... sounds like fan reaction.... and if said person is a booster he better ante up another $10.
i wanna see who blinks first the NCAA or UofL/UNC...
it needs to happen sometime.

This guy and his Dad who has passed away have been donors since mid 80s...put in major money...im not saying he knows anything just passing it along

Still couldn't force McGee to talk.
It wouldn't be a criminal trial, hes not defending himself against a criminal act, at least that's not what this case would be about. It would be a last ditch attempt to have the government step in and save them from the NCAA. I'm not sure the pleading the 5th even works in this case. Isn't that the right to not incriminate yourself???? Is that even a thing when this isn't a criminal case?? I'm not a lawyer, IDK

Filing suit would be a major black eye for the University. Public opinion will not favor an institution that procured prostitutes for minors. Also most will find it offensive that the hierarchy of Louisville does not see that this is inappropriate and will use tax payer money to defend its ability to purchase prostitutes for juveniles. I don't see public opinion being in the Card's corner.

This guy and his Dad who has passed away have been donors since mid 80s...put in major money...im not saying he knows anything just passing it along

Sometimes it's hard to take the blinders off but you could kinda see this coming... Well... See something bad coming but not quite this kind of stinky bad...
Law suit was discussed on KSR yesterday and it was interesting...i.e., Law suit provides a much larger stage to air out, in front of the USofA, all the dirty laundry we know now and probably more........ So if that's what they choose to do..... okay by me.

I'm still curious as to what UL would actually sue about. I could be mistaken, but I don't think the court system has any say over how the NCAA, a private institute, punishes one of its willing members for breaking a known rule of the NCAA.

Reactions: NC Weasel
I'm not so sure UNC will sue even if they are hit with major penalties. They might threaten a lawsuit and have people like Bilas making those threats public in an attempt to intimidate the NCAA, hoping they will lessen the severity of the penalties. I seriously doubt they would want Roy and everyone else involved in the scandal to have to testify under oath.

IMO, the consequences of a unc suit are much more damning to the university than would be something as dramatic as the death penalty for bball. UNC has prided itself on its academic standing. To stand in court and admit offering bogus courses for not only athletes but for the entire student body calls into question the validity (and worth) of a degree from the university. They might win the battle, but lose the war.

It wouldn't be a criminal trial, hes not defending himself against a criminal act, at least that's not what this case would be about. It would be a last ditch attempt to have the government step in and save them from the NCAA. I'm not sure the pleading the 5th even works in this case. Isn't that the right to not incriminate yourself???? Is that even a thing when this isn't a criminal case?? I'm not a lawyer, IDK

I am a lawyer and yes it is a thing. You can always plead the 5th amendment if the testimony would incriminate you regardless of the type of proceeding.

Reactions: deplion
we are also forgetting that the NCAA could bankrupt UofL with lawyer fees and not even blink. and I highly doubt the state would give them any extra funds to go to court beyond what they already have

The NCAA would welcome court. If their fans would read the GD report and not listen to every message board idiot Louisville fan they would realize that every penalty they applied it is backed up and allowed due to the bylaws Louisville breached that they agreed to follow.

Everything the COI did was straight from the bylaws. They simply said...ok... they broke this by law....here is what we are allowed to punish.

Everything they did was by the book.

I have no idea what Louisville is appealing or what their stance would be in court.

ADVERTISEMENT