ADVERTISEMENT

Talked to 2 Other Fans Last Week

AGEE11

Junior
Jan 10, 2014
So I was in Orlando on vacation last week.

I have vertigo so roller coasters that go upside down are out for me.

Was sitting waiting for my kids to get off a ride and was wearing a UK hat. Older gentlemen sitting close looks at me and says "Go Big Blue". I responded and we got to talking hoops. He is a Michigan St alum and fan. Lady close by was a UNC fan. Both seemed to know college ball.

We talked about our upcoming teams and the Michigan St guy was pretty down on them recently. Saying he feels like it might be time for a change there. Told him I could feel that.

UNC lady says she thinks they are being greatly overrated for getting hot at the right time last year. But thinks they will be good and said Bacot will be POY next year not Oscar.

We cut up about Cal and the St Peters game. Also the beat down we gave UNC.

Then they asked what I thought about UK next year. I said we need depth with only 9 players but still should be good. Both of them asked me how I thought we'd only be good returning the NPOY and Wheeler (Mich St guy was really high on him) on top of two top recruits. Michigan St guy says he is picking UK to win it all, UNC lady says we are Final Four bound. Then we laughed about St Peters some more and they both shrugged it off saying upsets happen. UNC lady brought up Mercer and Lehigh for Duke.

Talked about how so many people are down on Cal and the team and all the other stuff we hear on here. They both acted like anyone down on UK was absolutely crazy.

Lot more was said, but the gist from a couple outsiders was UK is in a good place and they didn't understand the worry. I told them that my main worries were depth and that Cal hasn't changed in game since he got here. MSU guy felt the same about Izzo.

Was cool to get a different perspective.

Was sitting waiting for my kids to get off a ride and was wearing a UK hat. Older gentlemen sitting close looks at me and says "Go Big Blue". I responded and we got to talking hoops. He is a Michigan St alum and fan. Lady close by was a UNC fan. Both seemed to know college ball.

We talked about our upcoming teams and the Michigan St guy was pretty down on them recently. Saying he feels like it might be time for a change there. Told him I could feel that.

UNC lady says she thinks they are being greatly overrated for getting hot at the right time last year. But thinks they will be good and said Bacot will be POY next year not Oscar.

Then they asked what I thought about UK next year. I said we need depth with only 9 players but still should be good. Both of them asked me how I thought we'd only be good returning the NPOY and Wheeler (Mich St guy was really high on him) on top of two top recruits. Michigan St guy says he is picking UK to win it all, UNC lady says we are Final Four bound. Then we laughed about St Peters some more and they both shrugged it off saying upsets happen. UNC lady brought up Mercer and Lehigh for Duke.

Talked about how so many people are down on Cal and the team and all the other stuff we hear on here. They both acted like anyone down on UK was absolutely crazy.

Lot more was said, but the gist from a couple outsiders was UK is in a good place and they didn't understand the worry. I told them that my main worries were depth and that Cal hasn't changed in game since he got here. MSU guy felt the same about Izzo.

Unless Izzo pulls a rabbit out of the hat they are going to be worse than last year, and they were iffy at best last year.

So fans of some of our rivals are high on UK's chances, huh? I bet they wish we'd keep Cal for another 12 years too.

As a Bills fan, y'all some entitled folks. I'm optimistic about next year's team and looking forward to the season.

Celebrate your teams accomplishments but don't become so arrogant that your expectations are out of whack. UK can easily be the next IU. If that happens, most of you who are true fans will still watch and still cheer the team on. Heck if you're also a UK football fan you don't need to hear that. Times change and often so does the guard.

Not diehard CBB fans. Just casual observers.

Reactions: Sawnee Cat

The couple you met did not know about the teams kneeling and Cals support of BLM? That could be the reason they were optimistic about our chances.
A 9 win season doesnt help but the intense hatred that (some) on this board have for Cal can be traced back to the kneeling and BLM support. I am optimistic about this season as well. So, that makes me and two fans of other schools. Anybody else on here optimistic about next season. How about you Cowtown or Lowcountrycat?

The couple you met did not know about the teams kneeling and Cals support of BLM? That could be the reason they were optimistic about our chances.
A 9 win season doesnt help but the intense hatred that (some) on this board have for Cal can be traced back to the kneeling and BLM support. I am optimistic about this season as well. So, that makes me and two fans of other schools. Anybody else on here optimistic about next season. How about you Cowtown or Lowcountrycat?

The issue with the BLM/kneeling is that literally it was the cliche thing to do in 2020. People want to find a coach that did not support his players for the BLM and that would eliminate pretty much every major college coach we would consider & we would end up with some guy from podunk HS team in KY coaching the team if we eliminated that when considering a candidate.

I am for bashing Calipari for his on court performance, the Sharpe fiasco, and even how he talks to the fans...but this kneeling and BLM crap is a bit of a reach to me.

The issue with the BLM/kneeling is that literally it was the cliche thing to do in 2020. People want to find a coach that did not support his players for the BLM and that would eliminate pretty much every major college coach we would consider & we would end up with some guy from podunk HS team in KY coaching the team if we eliminated that when considering a candidate.

I am for bashing Calipari for his on court performance, the Sharpe fiasco, and even how he talks to the fans...but this kneeling and BLM crap is a bit of a reach to me.
Excellent point that most won't accept. And, I'm definitely no BLM fan, I think they are just a terrorist group that only divides rather than unites.

Last edited:
Excellent point that most won't accept. Abd, I'm definitely no BLM fan, I think they are just a terrorist group that only divides rather than unites.
When you hear BLM you should think of the sentiment of that phrase and not worry about the folks who co-opted it into some organization they used to apparently enrich themselves off donations.

When you hear BLM you should think of the sentiment of that phrase and not worry about the folks who co-opted it into some organization they used to apparently enrich themselves off donations.
Never said anything about the sentiments, just referring to the actions which can't be denied. The thoughts are very good but not what is practiced. I can't accept thoughts over actions. We need to be united in this country not fighting each other. Do you agree with that?

Rioting, stealing microwaves and sneakers, and burning down neighborhoods while condoning shooting police officers simply isn't a tactic that most would find effective for change in equality. It was up to BLM leaders to control that and the narrative. They chose to only line their pockets. You won't find many who would not support what BLM was supposed to be.

Rioting, stealing microwaves and sneakers, and burning down neighborhoods while condoning shooting police officers simply isn't a tactic that most would find effective for change in equality. It was up to BLM leaders to control that and the narrative. They chose to only line their pockets. You won't find many who would not support what BLM was supposed to be.
The issue is people write off the sentiment because of those things. It's still a valid sentiment. The sentiment is bigger than a bunch of folks enriching themselves.

What I think most people don’t understand is it was a call for attention against police brutality against black Americans in a peaceful way.
Black Lives Matter supported it. The Black Lives Matter organization is also a vile organization that uses money to divide and cause violence in this country. Eye for an eye type of stuff. You can support equity in this country and recognize the need for police reform/training while at the same time recognize BLM as an organization isn’t a creditable outsource.

I’m against animal abuse but I won’t give a dime to PETA bc they are too radical. Both things can be true.

I liked it better when other fans hated Cal and called us cheaters because we go to the Final Four every couple/few years. Always a good sign when other fans think your coach is doing a “great” job. Michigan State guy probably loved Tubby, too.

I will say this. I wear UK gear an obscene amount of time. And I can’t count the number of times someone has came up to me whether it be in Tennessee, South Carolina, Oklahoma, Virginia, ect and wanted to talk about UK.

The issue is people write off the sentiment because of those things. It's still a valid sentiment. The sentiment is bigger than a bunch of folks enriching themselves.
I agree, but BLM has become so tarnished, it'll take a whole new movement to create pressure to enact the change that BLM should've helped usher in. Basically, not only did it not help, it caused a great deal of damage and setbacks.

I will say this. I wear UK gear an obscene amount of time. And I can’t count the number of times someone has came up to me whether it be in Tennessee, South Carolina, Oklahoma, Virginia, ect and wanted to talk about UK.
Same here. My car got stuck in the sand down in Florida a few years ago. A bunch of guys came out of a UK tent, saw my UK license plate, and helped push me out. We talked about Kentucky afterwards, haha. They're absolutely everywhere.

I agree, but BLM has become so tarnished, it'll take a whole new movement to create pressure to enact the change that BLM should've helped usher in. Basically, not only did it not help, it caused a great deal of damage and setbacks.
Here is the problem. You can believe Black Lives Matter, but not be associated with the group. Some people can’t separate the two.

I couldn't give a beggar's f$@* about the kneeling thing. I do, however, care about historically bad losses, historically bad seasons, allowing the tail to wag the dog, and the arrogant indifference and sometimes downright hostility shown toward the fans of the program.

Here is the problem. You can believe Black Lives Matter, but not be associated with the group. Some people can’t separate the two.
I hear ya, but unfortunately, I think it's become impossible to not see BLM in only a negative light because they were so radical, violent, and corrupt. Actual leaders would be better deserved to create a new mainstream 'tent' for their cause. I don't think the BLM can distance themselves from what most people think of the organization itself. Again, most people will get behind the sentiment, but not the org.

Reactions: Ed323232
I live in the heart of Vol nation.
Vol fans love Cal. They all think UK is in a very good place right now.

What was it, 4th place in the SEC?
Yeah. They love where our basketball program is right now under Cal.
Tied for second. And the non final four going to vols need to worry about themsel

Football on the other hand….. LFG!
So your pumped about Football and rightfully so. But simple question. Who has the better chance to win a national championship?
Uk basketball or Football.
We all know the basketball has the better chance. Because odds are the Football won't win the East much less the SEC Championship to get to the playoffs.
And don't take this as a knock on the Football team. It certainly is not. It's just reality. Football team in the last 10 years or so the most improved team in the country IMO.
They are a blast to watch play.

So your pumped about Football and rightfully so. But simple question. Who has the better chance to win a national championship?
We all know the basketball has the better chance. Because odds are the Football won't win the East much less the SEC Championship to get to the playoffs.
Agree but momentum and everything going on with football is just much more positive and more fun to follow at the moment, imo.

And don't take this as a knock on the Football team. It certainly is not. It's just reality. Football team in the last 10 years or so the most improved team in the country IMO.
We no longer suck like Kansas. Granted, we were never “that” bad. Lol

Exactly this, it's on the people to see the social injustice where a teen walking home is gunned down but a guy who just killed a bunch of black people in Buffalo is taken in safely. If you see BLM and you can't separate the two then that's absolutely on you as a person.

What do they like to discuss ?

I agree with this ^. I hope they keep it going because they are a feel good story and UK fans have waited sooooo long. 10 win seasons are amazing, especially for UK in the SEC but winning the East or a NC is most likely not going to happen.

Reactions: Blouman
What do they like to discuss ?
Depends on the season. Usually basketball. People loved to ask about lorenzen back in the day. I’m talking about over the years. I know you want me to say about the current basketball team and Cal and if I go somewhere soon I’m sure that will be the conversation.

Depends on the season. Usually basketball. People loved to ask about lorenzen back in the day. I’m talking about over the years. I know you want me to say about the current basketball team and Cal and if I go somewhere soon I’m sure that will be the conversation.
Nope .. I’m looking for bright spots at this point. I also wear a lot of UK gear and I see UK fans everywhere. I also see opponents fans and more times than not we have really decent discussions. Very few people seem to be jerks. Bass triggered me and I won’t waiver with him but you know I dislike Cal big time and you feel differently. That’s fine … I just don’t like when someone goes over the top. I’ve yet to see an opponent on vacation where it didn’t go well. Now.. in their stadium or arena is another story.

Nope .. I’m looking for bright spots at this point. I also wear a lot of UK gear and I see UK fans everywhere. I also see opponents fans and more times than not we have really decent discussions. Very few people seem to be jerks. Bass triggered me and I won’t waiver with him but you know I dislike Cal big time and you feel differently. That’s fine … I just don’t like when someone goes over the top. I’ve yet to see an opponent on vacation where it didn’t go well. Now.. in their stadium or arena is another story.
Your avatar or whatever the **** it’s called is dope.

Reactions: CHAMPCAT11
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT