ADVERTISEMENT

Subbing Patterns

Random UK Fan

Sophomore
Dec 10, 2018
Was reading an article this morning where Cal was talking about Thiero’s game and how much he’s improved. He said “He was subbing himself out at the right moments to rest . . . “

How much of the erratic subbing patterns be due to the players? I had never really thought about it.

Mods, this might should be merged with the minutes thread (or just removed).

Didn’t see it before.

Was reading an article this morning where Cal was talking about Thiero’s game and how much he’s improved. He said “He was subbing himself out at the right moments to rest . . . “

How much of the erratic subbing patterns be due to the players? I had never really thought about it.
Lol, I've been trying to tell people this since halftime of the game. Sometimes guys just need a rest. It's not always "Cal benching a guy". You need to give guys a few breaks to rest even if they're not completely gassed so they have legs at the end of the game.

Reactions: mdlUK.1
Cal's subbing patterns costed the game and horrible execution down the stretch as well, which is a norm for Cal these day's.

Reactions: CatPhight

Its part of it but Cal has always been all over the map with this and I think it hurts him. Part of his problem is he lets them coach themselves and that automatically means less structure and more randomness. And I think that hurts our ability to get into rhythm in games and make runs. This team will handle it better than most because they are all ballers but we lost still lost an important stretch last night with Reed and Rob on the bench when we needed them out there badly.

He's also got to get off this 2 fouls and sit, then get 3rd and sit, then get 4th and sit crap. I've laid this out before and all that does end up killing any rhythm the kids can get into an they end up sitting more time than if they plaid straight out and fouled out!!!!

At least if they play out the the upside where they get their minutes and maybe never foul out. But with his and other coaches obession with the second foul foul trouble non sense the are GUARANTEED to miss minutes just like they fouled out every time.

Cal's substitution patterns hold no mystery for me at all. It's always been "promises made,promises kept" winning the recruiting battle for him is more important than winning the game battle. Sometimes it pays off, but other times it just runs off good players who were more deserving. I'm afraid that is going to happen again this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT