ADVERTISEMENT

John Robic is the real HoF, not Cal

Farsight

Junior
Nov 27, 2011
This is clearly evident that when John Robic left it took a big hit to how Cal coaches and what he does and doesn't do. I think he left after the 2015 38-1 season? It's clear that Cal thinks the only in game adjustments are substitution patterns. It's a lot more than that. Cal is letting politics of players have priority than actually winning games. Candace Parker said the other day, that the team takes on mentality of their coach and best player. We played tight and tense against A&M and Oakland. We were clearly unprepared. We did not practice against a zone. Robic was the guy who scouted teams and made the gameplan. It seems like if we have this on the coaching staff, they're not doing a good job.

I like coach O, I think he's a great recruiter. I think Coach Welch was an excellent hire. The offense was amazing in out of conference games. I knew that Cal would mess up the chemistry when we got our bigs back. Look what happened, it did and our offense changed.

Anyways, we should be really thanking John Robic for the 2009-2015 run.

I know they had a falling out and I heard different things. I think his daughter had leukemia and had to take a vow of absence for a while. From what I understand he wanted to come back but wanted to change a few things. Like the OAD. Cal basically told him to eff off or something. I also heard that Cal was upset that he didn't want to come back either. So no idea what the truth is on that. People believe Matt Jones has the real answer. Does anyone why they had a falling out?

Reactions: Fox2monk
I know they had a falling out and I heard different things. I think his daughter had leukemia and had to take a vow of absence for a while. From what I understand he wanted to come back but wanted to change a few things. Like the OAD. Cal basically told him to eff off or something. I also heard that Cal was upset that he didn't want to come back either. So no idea what the truth is on that. People believe Matt Jones has the real answer. Does anyone why they had a falling out?

Death of his daughter and unchecked alcoholism. With that said, even since his departure the game has become much more perimeter oriented. Our losses to St Peter’s, KSU and Oakland all came from inadequate perimeter defense.

I couldn’t imagine wing a great basketball mind and subjecting myself to working for Cal. Maybe for a year as a resume builder, but not as a career.

Reactions: Jmeeks54thebest
Kind of makes you wonder doesn't it. I don't recall exactly when Robic stepped away from his role. I do remember his daughter having health issues and he needed to step away. There was something of a fallout with CCC, not sure what that was but his absence over the past few seasons really makes you wonder about just how important he was to the coaching, game prep, etc.

Robic stepped away after the 2016 season and we've only had two good seasons since then - 2017 and 2019. And those were still disappointing elite eight finishes

Robic stepped away after the 2016 season and we've only had two good seasons since then - 2017 and 2019. And those were still disappointing elite eight finishes
He was no longer a bench coach but still part of the program behind the scenes until 2021 when he took an administrative role within the athletic dept. I agree that it's probably not a coincidence that the decline has been since he completely stepped away.

Last edited:
Reactions: gbl97 and Farsight
This is clearly evident that when John Robic left it took a big hit to how Cal coaches and what he does and doesn't do. I think he left after the 2015 38-1 season? It's clear that Cal thinks the only in game adjustments are substitution patterns. It's a lot more than that. Cal is letting politics of players have priority than actually winning games. Candace Parker said the other day, that the team takes on mentality of their coach and best player. We played tight and tense against A&M and Oakland. We were clearly unprepared. We did not practice against a zone. Robic was the guy who scouted teams and made the gameplan. It seems like if we have this on the coaching staff, they're not doing a good job.

I like coach O, I think he's a great recruiter. I think Coach Welch was an excellent hire. The offense was amazing in out of conference games. I knew that Cal would mess up the chemistry when we got our bigs back. Look what happened, it did and our offense changed.

Anyways, we should be really thanking John Robic for the 2009-2015 run.
Every year that goes by without Robic proves he was the brains on the staff. He won those games.

Anyone on CCC bench would have a better record n don't better ..... even Bruiser ....... well maybe not Bruiser .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT