ADVERTISEMENT

Couple of conversation topics after last nights game.

Mike_Edwards

Junior
Gold Member
Nov 5, 2002
1. How did Vandy only have one foul in the second half with seven minutes left in the half? That is criminal and blatantly obvious and we were AT HOME!!!! Stackhouse teams play physical aggressive defense. 1 foul at home in 13 minutes of clock, come on man!!!!!

2. Which Arkansas team shows up to the SEC tournament? They’ve had an atrociously bad year based on the talent on the roster but have shown recent signs of playing to their potential.

1. How did Vandy only have one foul in the second half with seven minutes left in the half? That is criminal and blatantly obvious and we were AT HOME!!!! Stackhouse teams play physical aggressive defense. 1 foul at home in 13 minutes of clock, come on man!!!!!

2. Which Arkansas team shows up to the SEC tournament? They’ve had an atrociously bad year based on the talent on the roster but have shown recent signs of playing to their potential.

I mentioned the ridiculous officiating double standard we deal with in the Tennessee/SC thread on HOB.

Tennessee went to South Carolina and at one point, with 5 minutes left in the game, South Carolina had shot 6 free throws. At home with 5 minutes left against a team that plays as physical as tennessee.

There’s no way, we could ever play a road game and the opposing team shoots that few free throws.

College officials have favorites. We are not and never have been one of them in my lifetime.

The vaunted Rupp Arena whistle that opposing fans complain about is one of the biggest myths in college basketball

On the sec tourney…arkansas has won one and lost one in all 3 sec tourneys under musselman. So i’d wager they’ll do the same this season.

I don't think Vandy got whistled for their 2nd foul in the 2nd half until the 5 minute mark. I agree that it was so inconsistent that it was pathetic. There was once where Trey was called for an illegal screen when he was completely set and didn't throw a hip into the guy but the Vandy player ran into him and then flailed his arms up and head back so the ref called a foul. Then they go to the other end of the floor, the Vandy big guy sets a moving pick and threw a hip check into Reed at the top of the key and they call nothing. Literally 2 plays 30 seconds from each other are called differently.

Last night I watched the entire second half of the Tennessee and South Carolina game. For one stretch it looked like a rugby game and there was only 1 foul called. The foul they call was so soft I screamed at the T.V. for 2 minutes. SEC officiating is the worst in the country I'm convinced.

Last night I watched the entire second half of the Tennessee and South Carolina game. For one stretch it looked like a rugby game and there was only 1 foul called. The foul they call was so soft I screamed at the T.V. for 2 minutes. SEC officiating is the worst in the country I'm convinced.
No home cooking for USC. They had only 10 FTAs. Visiting UT had 22.🤔

There is no good explanation for the awfulness of sec officiating. Wait till we go to Knoxville and it will be the most atrocious officiating since the last time we were there.

I don't understand how UT started getting a golden whistle when Barnes showed up.

Is it just me or does it seem that there is an abnormally large amount of fouls called on 3 point shots this year. Normally if there is a foul on a 3 point shooter the announcers are talking about what a big no no that is but this year it happens multiple times per game and it's to the point they don't even address it anymore....other when Reed did it at the end of the game earlier in the season. 🤣

At the end of the UT/USC game, there were 3-4 possessions in a row where UT fouled on a USC drive and the refs just wouldn't call it on that end. We aren't talking incidental bumps, those were easy calls in a fairly officiated game. The refs singlehandedly stopped USC from getting over the top in that one.

Reactions: nptb
If you watched the Ark -vs- LSU game last night, you would see both teams are complete garbage. Neither team looked anywhere near as good as they did when we played them. Guess there really is a KY effect after all.

Arkansas really isn’t playing that much better lately. They’re 3-2 in their last 5 with wins against LSU, Texas A&M and Missouri who is 0-17 in sec play. The losses are to us and 3-14 Vandy. The combined conference record of the 4 teams that aren’t Kentucky in that stretch is 19-49. They’re schedule has just been incredibly soft over the last few weeks.

That call was really bad. There is no way the ref saw that from midcourt.
You guys talk about this like it’s impossible but maybe that ref has jedi powers. In that case he could see a foul even with the blast shield down. Or maybe he woke up sweating the night before knowing we were going to commit that foul just then and the reason he blew the whistle so late is he was just frozen in sheer terror having to watch it all unfold before him the next day in reality and not even anything he could do about it, being so far away from the action.

Seriously I don’t even think some of you guys know the power of the dark side of the force 🙄

• Haha
Reactions: westerncat
There is no good explanation for the awfulness of sec officiating. Wait till we go to Knoxville and it will be the most atrocious officiating since the last time we were there.

I don't understand how UT started getting a golden whistle when Barnes showed up.
Theres a way to communicate with ref's .. Barnes is good at it , Cal curses them like crazy . They like Barnes , they hate Cal sooooo ............

I mentioned the ridiculous officiating double standard we deal with in the Tennessee/SC thread on HOB.

Tennessee went to South Carolina and at one point, with 5 minutes left in the game, South Carolina had shot 6 free throws. At home with 5 minutes left against a team that plays as physical as tennessee.

There’s no way, we could ever play a road game and the opposing team shoots that few free throws.

College officials have favorites. We are not and never have been one of them in my lifetime.

The vaunted Rupp Arena whistle that opposing fans complain about is one of the biggest myths in college basketball

You know what, **** it.. I'm ready to stop calling games at Rupp as "home" games. It's an off-campus event center 1st, and a basketball arena 2nd.. that refuses to prioritize what it takes to win games (fixing the student sections, fixing shoot arounds, etc).

Playing at Rupp is no different than Uconn playing at the XL Center in Hartford or Gonzaga playing in Spokane. Kentucky simply plays it's home games at Lexingtons largest convention center and concert venue.

Theres a way to communicate with ref's .. Barnes is good at it , Cal curses them like crazy . They like Barnes , they hate Cal sooooo ............

The funniest thing about this, is that you know cursed at refs the most? Coach K. He berates officials all game long, and yet, they don't seem to care? He immediately goes after them instead of his own players, which Cal often does.

I don't fully buy into the refs hating Cal, as the ONLY reason for the calls. For starters, our own fanbase made a pretty damaging display when they went after Higgins. If refs hate Cal because he's mean to them, then the same has to apply to our fans. You know Higgins told HIS side of this story to his colleges.

I also think the NCAA made a concerted effort to hold back 1AD recruiting because it was 1. bad for the sport in their eyes and 2. it saw Cal put teams on the floor that could just embarrass the competition if they were allowed to play. If Cal got the officiating that K or self got in the last 15 years.. We could be looking at a real dynasty here, despite his coaching flaws. We're talking 3 or 4 titles, 8 or 9 final 4's. Much better seeding. But the NCAA made it a concerted effort to make sure "david" had a chance against Goliath.

Just one example, if the officials looked the other way on Hump's spike ball (like they would have for Duke/Kansas), Kentucky is then a 3-seed and avoids Indiana as a 5-seed in the second round, a team that won the Big10 outright by 2 games.

The foul on Reed was crazy bad.

However other than that, I didn't see a lot of contact that wasn't called (as opposed to the Auburn, MSSt. LSU games etc. that felt like rockfights in the paint with no calls).

OI6p2jE.jpeg

When the refs saw that they'd only called one foul on Vandy so late in the half they then called 3 non-shooting fouls on Vandy in about a minute to make things look less suspicious...
Yes they did and it was obvious what was going on.

LOL, the refs making bad calls or no calls against UK is somehow, also Cal's fault. He literally gets the blame for EVERYTHING bad for his teams. "Cal screams at them, they hate him", well every coach in basketball is hated then, ALL of them cuss / work officials.

We get one of the worst home whistles I've ever seen.
Yep, people talk about getting a home whistle. I think referees come to Rupp and think "ok, I've got to make sure I don't accused of being biased" and so they go overboard the other direction. I think we get a better whistle on neutral courts or even away games.

The funniest thing about this, is that you know cursed at refs the most? Coach K. He berates officials all game long, and yet, they don't seem to care? He immediately goes after them instead of his own players, which Cal often does.

I don't fully buy into the refs hating Cal, as the ONLY reason for the calls. For starters, our own fanbase made a pretty damaging display when they went after Higgins. If refs hate Cal because he's mean to them, then the same has to apply to our fans. You know Higgins told HIS side of this story to his colleges.

I also think the NCAA made a concerted effort to hold back 1AD recruiting because it was 1. bad for the sport in their eyes and 2. it saw Cal put teams on the floor that could just embarrass the competition if they were allowed to play. If Cal got the officiating that K or self got in the last 15 years.. We could be looking at a real dynasty here, despite his coaching flaws. We're talking 3 or 4 titles, 8 or 9 final 4's. Much better seeding. But the NCAA made it a concerted effort to make sure "david" had a chance against Goliath.

Just one example, if the officials looked the other way on Hump's spike ball (like they would have for Duke/Kansas), Kentucky is then a 3-seed and avoids Indiana as a 5-seed in the second round, a team that won the Big10 outright by 2 games.
Let’s not forget Emmert was the AD at Washington when Cal stole Terrance Jones and Enis Kanter from him at the last minute in back to back seasons. He immediately declared Kanter ineligible. When he was appointed NCAA president. A kid he recruited to HIS school. Emmert despised Cal That’s when our blue blood whistle ended. It came all the way from the top.

Let’s not forget Emmert was the AD at Washington when Cal stole Terrance Jones and Enis Kanter from him. He immediately declared Kanter ineligible. When he was appointed NCAA president. A kid he recruited to HIS school. Emmert despised him. That’s when our blue blood whistle ended. It came all the way from the top.

Yep, good points.

The NCAA just seems to have this overall "looking down at you" feel when it comes to UK. Maybe that is also a new thing. But you have a pretty blue-collar state, the whole Rupp, black athletes, and Texas Southern thing.. the NCAA is filled with academia lifers and people who probably apologize for their privilege. I really started following UK back in like 2006-ish.. and it's just the vibe I've always gotten. Like Duke is the golden child and UK is a the black sheep.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
The ref who called Reed for the late and-1 was on the far end of the floor from the action. There wasn't just favoritism last night -- it was blatant cheating.
That was a HORRIBLE call! Hell, it was even after the ball went through the net. Play was already over. Just crazy.

Reactions: Montana81
Let’s not forget Emmert was the AD at Washington when Cal stole Terrance Jones and Enis Kanter from him at the last minute in back to back seasons. He immediately declared Kanter ineligible. When he was appointed NCAA president. A kid he recruited to HIS school. Emmert despised Cal That’s when our blue blood whistle ended. It came all the way from the top.
Believe that was the same season.

LOL, the refs making bad calls or no calls against UK is somehow, also Cal's fault. He literally gets the blame for EVERYTHING bad for his teams. "Cal screams at them, they hate him", well every coach in basketball is hated then, ALL of them cuss / work officials.
I mean, it’s pretty well known that all officials hate and despise Calipari. Shit has been going on since the early 90s lmao That isn’t conspiracy m, it’s the truth.

No one has mentioned the out of bounds call on Sheps steal. The official was so close Sheppard ran into him. He waits till Shep is in the lane to blow the whistle. He was Inbounds by 6 inches minimum??? A steal wiped out for a guy chasing the all time record at a blue blood school and you miss it by a FOOT???

I mean, it’s pretty well known that all officials hate and despise Calipari. Shit has been going on since the early 90s lmao That isn’t conspiracy m, it’s the truth.
Think back to the 96 tournament. UMass was just about to beat UK (for the 2nd time that season) and there's a T on Cal for being out of the coaching box.

Think back to the 96 tournament. UMass was just about to beat UK (for the 2nd time that season) and there's a T on Cal for being out of the coaching box.
lol you mean the 1992 tournament? UMass wasn’t beating that 1996 team again. Game was never really in doubt. But, yeah, he did get a T in 1992.

Reactions: BlueWhite21
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT