ADVERTISEMENT

Stoops says "Pony Up more to NIL if you're going to complain" if we want a better chance to beat UGA..............

catben

All-American
Sep 13, 2003
"because that's how Georgia does it."

On his radio show tonight when a caller called to complain about the performance against the Dawgs, Stoops said this after JUST saying he wasn't going to make excuses. Hey coach, what do you think that is??!!!!!!

What do our current players think about this comment?
Is Coach Stoops saying our current roster is not capable AS IS to beat UGA?
He makes $9 million/year!!! Why can't he divert some of that BANKROLL toward NIL??!!!!

Thoughts?

Last edited:
We're not one of the big NIL schools....Miami, FSU, TA&M, Texas, etc.
Who have all under-performed considering how much money they are giving out. Heck, Miami lost to Ga Tech!!!

Coach Stoops is just pissed that his team was not prepared for the game last Saturday and the #1 team in the country was. UGA is the one SEC East team that we haven't been able to beat since he arrived and it's getting to him.

Prepare better and stop complaining!!!

On his radio show tonight when a caller called to complain about the performance against the Dawgs, Stoops said this after JUST saying he wasn't going to make excuses. Hey coach, what do you think that is??!!!!!!

He makes $9 million/year!!! Why can't he divert some of that BANKROLL toward NIL??!!!!

Thoughts?
Weak response by Stoops. If we had the same roster as UGA, they still kick our asses. He’s a solid coach, just not elite.

I hate Stoops goes here....and he's partially right but mostly he's wrong.

1. UK bought/NIL....Leary, Ray Davis, Cox and Ford for sure on offense in the portal. I am not sure if we paid out for Chrisman, Bowles, Silver (I'd venture to say we did for him) and kid backing up Lber.
2. UGA bought/NIL....Lovett (WR), RaRa Thomas (WR) and a RB. UGA lost quite a few dudes to portal as well....the only UK lost of a guy we didn't want to lose was Justin Rogers.

Now UGA is elite in HS recruiting and I'm sure is part of the NIL/$$$ picture as well.

Point being Stoops feels this and says this but to me I wish he'd save this commentary until after the season. To go here after a loss which we played as dumb a game as we've ever under Stoops (only the UL game in Lamar's last year when they hammered UK.....and we played a terrible game mentally and was undisciplined). Leary is an epic disaster and can't hit a throw 6 games into year, WR are a disaster of fundamental play, UK defense missed so many coverages in leaving guys open, etc....Just a disaster game. It would have been wiser to just stick with how great UGA is and we played pretty stupid and move on to Mizzou.

“The other side of that is, if you want to do that, complain, deny or make excuses. And we’re not going to do that, it is what it is. Fans have that right, I give it to them,” Stoops said. “I just encourage them to donate more, because that’s what those dudes are doing. I can promise you Georgia, they bought some pretty good players. You’re allowed to these days.

How much does Stoops make, again? Isn't he in the top 10 of coaching salaries? Yes?

Hate to break it to you coach, but us regular folks aren't capable of shelling out enough to try and match the wealthy donors of Texas, LSU, Georgia and the like. Bourbon isn't putting up any. Horse racing? Lol. If Stoops wants more money for NIL he needs a new job where they have guys like Mark Cuban funneling money to them.

This is a horrible take and clearly a petulant and petty response. For one, the level of players was not why we got embarrassed Saturday and even if it were, 11 years in that’s on stoops. We have thrived off the transfer portal so I don’t buy this as anything more than an excuse and petty reaction comment. It also sets a bad precedent with your team which is A- it’s ok guys they have more money than us and you’re just not good enough and B- those bone headed mistakes you made are ok cause it wouldn’t have mattered anyway. NIL didn’t have anything to do with poor execution, poor games plans and being too small for the moment. It’s not the fans responsibility to pay the recruiting bills, that’s on the university and staff and boosters. If a fan can contribute, great, but to say this and act like the casual fan plays a roll in what happened Saturday is a very unprofessional look. Looks like the team isn’t the only one not ready for the moment. I’m a stoops supporter but he is wrong to place anything that happened on Saturday on fans in anyway or to accuse Georgia of buying players. UKs recruiting style is the same today as it was his first day, long before the NIL days. Perhaps stoops needs to evolve and become more creative instead of saying this on a radio show and after a caller clearly upset him. Sorry to say I’m disappointed in this response by stoops

Last edited:
I hate Stoops goes here....and he's partially right but mostly he's wrong.

1. UK bought/NIL....Leary, Ray Davis, Cox and Ford for sure on offense in the portal. I am not sure if we paid out for Chrisman, Bowles, Silver (I'd venture to say we did for him) and kid backing up Lber.
2. UGA bought/NIL....Lovett (WR), RaRa Thomas (WR) and a RB. UGA lost quite a few dudes to portal as well....the only UK lost of a guy we didn't want to lose was Justin Rogers.

Now UGA is elite in HS recruiting and I'm sure is part of the NIL/$$$ picture as well.

Point being Stoops feels this and says this but to me I wish he'd save this commentary until after the season. To go here after a loss which we played as dumb a game as we've ever under Stoops (only the UL game in Lamar's last year when they hammered UK.....and we played a terrible game mentally and was undisciplined). Leary is an epic disaster and can't hit a throw 6 games into year, WR are a disaster of fundamental play, UK defense missed so many coverages in leaving guys open, etc....Just a disaster game. It would have been wiser to just stick with how great UGA is and we played pretty stupid and move on to Mizzou.

“The other side of that is, if you want to do that, complain, deny or make excuses. And we’re not going to do that, it is what it is. Fans have that right, I give it to them,” Stoops said. “I just encourage them to donate more, because that’s what those dudes are doing. I can promise you Georgia, they bought some pretty good players. You’re allowed to these days.

I am really surprised CMS went there and by how he threw Leary under the bus. As for the instate recruiting advantage, with NIL it doesn't exist. UGA has 1 of the instate top 10 committed and he transferred in state this summer. FSU, UT, AU, Miami, UT, tOSU and even Louisville are buying Georgia HS kids left and right. FSU is paying a DB 60k a month and he is still in HS. UGA and Kirby sell player development and the opportunity to win championships, UGA isn't tampering with other team's rosters like those programs listed. but kids looking for NIL aren't coming to UGA, the NFL draft is why kids are choosing UGA. best defensive staff in the country and the NFL draft shows that.

Thoughts?
It’s an excuse but he’s not wrong. They have 3x’s the NIL donations that we do. When you have 4 stars lining the bench and have a rotation of 25+ players on defense it’s hard to beat. Not to mention the offensive firepower they have starting and backing up on the lines.

Last edited:
Reactions: CatPatrick13
It’s an excuse but he’s not wrong. They have 3x’s the NIL donations that we do. When you have 4 stats lining the bench and have a rotation of 25+ players on defense it’s hard to beat. Not to mention the offensive firepower they have starting and backing up on the lines.

UGA has an NIL program but if NIL is the number 1 thing a player is after he isn't picking UGA. Kirby believes NIL should be rewards for current players. This past year we lost multiple players to NIL, brought 2 in. Team chemistry is important, who do you think spent more on the transfer portal, UGA or UK. UGA brought in 4, 2 WR, a kid who signed with ATM and got kicked, his dad went to HS with Kirby and asked him to give the kid another chance. He did and kid was gone in a month, and a walk-on from UT who is from Athens. Kirby believes paying newcomers big NIL deals disrupts team chemistry. Now no doubt Bowers is getting some good NIL, but he didn't come to UGA because of NIL.

I am all for players getting paid, but the bidding wars are nothing but auctions.

Thoughts?
That was the very first thing I said when I heard the comment. Donate some of that 3 million dollar raise that u didn’t deserve. There are many fans that struggle to pay for tickets yet still go to games. The money that Mitch gave you last year would be a good addition to our NIL coffers. What a pompous ass.

FSU, UT, AU, Miami, UT, tOSU and even Louisville are buying Georgia HS kids left and right. FSU is paying a DB 60k a month and he is still in HS.
Absolutely. But this in no way inhibits players who see the big picture from attending UGA. Stoops was comparing UGA nil with UK nil. It's not even close dude.

Reactions: CUJO_1970

Thoughts?
A coach cannot direct money to NIL via his own pocketbook. The way he could help with with appearances for NIL orgs etc. Which he does. And I don't think, and neither does the NFL, that UK's roster is ready to challenge UGA for the top spot in the east. No way, No how.

Reactions: YaketySax
A coach cannot direct money to NIL via his own pocketbook. The way he could help with with appearances for NIL orgs etc. Which he does. And I don't think, and neither does the NFL, that UK's roster is ready to challenge UGA for the top spot in the east. No way, No how.
IIRC, Stoops said earlier this year if he could give his own money he would have already done so.

I defend stoops a lot, but this is not the route he needs to be taking. Yeah, it’s a different world in NIL. No matter what happens with that, he needs to be a team builder, and the chemistry has been off the last two years. No amount of NIL helps that…you could even argue NIL hurts that.

Stop pretending UGA doesn’t have a much great NIL presence than Kentucky, good grief.

Also, as pointed out Stoops obviously can’t donate part of his salary…would rather him not said that but yes he has a point.

The bottom line is that Kentucky is getting crushed every year in recruiting. You get to see #25 recruiting classes against #1 recruiting classes every time Kentucky plays Georgia and Alabama. If that doesn’t change don’t expect the result to change.

Reactions: Cat_Man_Blue
It’s an excuse but he’s not wrong. They have 3x’s the NIL donations that we do. When you have 4 stats lining the bench and have a rotation of 25+ players on defense it’s hard to beat. Not to mention the offensive firepower they have starting and backing up on the lines.
Yes hes very wrong .. you never aim your cannon ( microphone ) at BBN .. never . And esp after YOU didnt have your mentally prepared on several occasions the past 2 years .. do your job and SHUT UP . as a several year season ticket holder and general supporter of Stoops this infuriates me .

If he's going to say that, he needs to get ready for some backlash. Georgia was better the last two years, and we played them closer than this year and we are supposed to have better players. Maybe he can defer some of the 8 million he makes a year to an NIL fund. There is a way it can be done.

Thin skinned still. Probably the rest of his life. For me, the correct response is " this is all my fault. Every bit of it. The team wasn't prepared, I haven't fixed problems that should have been corrected week one. My DC made the statement his guys 'did some good things'...but I have 51 questions on that. Coaches fault for not inspiring the kids and giving them discipline to play hard to their abilities"

That would have been the correct response. Not Devin Leary has to hit those, not the fan base needs to pay more.

Just "all on me". 11 years and 9 million a year worth.

WHich is sad because you would think the Bourbon and Horse Racing Industries alone would be able to make us competitive on some level.
I have no idea but I have to wonder if the owners of the bourbon companies have any ties to UK or if their company is just located in Kentucky? The same could be said for a lot of the horse industry as more and more horse farms are being purchased by Saudi's and other middle easterners.

Reactions: catben
WHich is sad because you would think the Bourbon and Horse Racing Industries alone would be able to make us competitive on some level.

The best of the best will not play for this clown, even with $$$$$ thrown at them.

Reactions: K86
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT