ADVERTISEMENT

Stock Advice Thread

Berkshire announced today that they increased their stake in Apple by 23.3% recently. It makes Apple their largest holding.

I think Warren has been doing the math I've been doing. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::smiley:
Fine company, but more of a value play these days. I hold some shares, ran some numbers on 2 year returns of my holdings and was surprised my AAPL finished 13th out of my 14 holdings at 68% (6% for last 6 months) return; my best was NVDA at 745% (47% for last 6 months).

Reactions: jameslee32
Fine company, but more of a value play these days. I hold some shares, ran some numbers on 2 year returns of my holdings and was surprised my AAPL finished 13th out of my 14 holdings at 68% (6% for last 6 months) return; my best was NVDA at 745% (47% for last 6 months).
Yes but a very undervalued value play. And I'm ok with that as Apple will continue to buy back shares and retire them.

Share price should approach $200 by the fall and the Trillion dollar market cap. I'll take a 20% increase every year and be happy with it. Although some of those others are tempting. The floor is just too low for me.

Yes but a very undervalued value play. And I'm ok with that as Apple will continue to buy back shares and retire them.

Share price should approach $200 by the fall and the Trillion dollar market cap. I'll take a 20% increase every year and be happy with it. Although some of those others are tempting. The floor is just too low for me.
I’m glad to have AAPL as one of my holdings, but after taking my rare look at overall returns, I was surprised that 3 of my ETFs- PPA, ROBO & FEMS along with 7 other stocks I hold beat AAPL’s return over three year, one year and six month time frames. Hope your $200 fall prediction is correct, we both benefit.

Reactions: UK_Dallas
Boeing (BA)...racing with SpaceX to get to Mars. Up almost $100 since November and still climbing.
Wish I had bought it, got some RTN and BAC this week, love no brainer stocks (at least for now)!

Just bought a little Novavox today. It’s a biotech company that’s making some nanotechnology for flu vaccines, etc.

It’s already gone up substantially in the last yr and might be “acquired” by one of the big boys like Glaxo/Smith.

While I wouldn’t bet the farm on it, but it is cheap at just over $2/share right now with massive potential.

Last edited:
Reactions: lz
X stock;
US Steel Corporation; potential tariff on steel imports, although Trump has until mid April to decide, so there is downside risk if he decides against it

Reactions: lz and AustinTXCat
X stock;
US Steel Corporation; potential tariff on steel imports, although Trump has until mid April to decide, so there is downside risk if he decides against it
When I served in Iraq the second time, I remember Insteel Industries well. I upped my investment and it paid off handsomely.

Unfortunately, my effing daughter, blew the GD UGMA on stupid shit. She turned down Berea College for some local yokel boy. Purchased some effed up used car.

And people wonder why I post stupid stuff here? Please.

Reactions: jameslee32 and lz
Nothing stupid that I’ve seen posted by you, keep grinding on your investing!

Reactions: AustinTXCat
If you want to take a flyer on one, CVRS is a vascular robotic surgery company I've watched closely, got some more FDA approval today. I read about it because of a local hospital utilizing it last fall, these things spread very, very slowly nation wide and either make it big like ISRG or fizzle. I bought several shares for the H of it this morning, but check it out for yourself.

If you want to take a flyer on one, CVRS is a vascular robotic surgery company I've watched closely, got some more FDA approval today. I read about it because of a local hospital utilizing it last fall, these things spread very, very slowly nation wide and either make it big like ISRG or fizzle. I bought several shares for the H of it this morning, but check it out for yourself.
My nephew works in robotics. It's come of age as an investment but you have to wonder where that robot/worker ratio goes from here. Lots of headwinds for the labor pool in years to come.

Bitcoin and Litecoin trending up again....

love-that-money.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Reactions: lz
My nephew works in robotics. It's come of age as an investment but you have to wonder where that robot/worker ratio goes from here. Lots of headwinds for the labor pool in years to come.
Indeed. As Mark Cuban has said, most robotic companies are foreign and the US needs to get with it. IRBT with its vacuums and ISRG surgical robots are two that hit it big in the US, both seem fully priced now, though. CVRS is at least worth a close watch, FDA moves soooooo slowly in approving medical prescriptions and devices.

Musk has said that he wants a hyperloop to go from NYC to DC.......30' one way trip. This guy is going to remake the world. What are his investment companies and which are the better buys for right now?

Musk has said that he wants a hyperloop to go from NYC to DC.......30' one way trip. This guy is going to remake the world. What are his investment companies and which are the better buys for right now?
Figure that out and you make (or lose) real money!

No he’s not. In fact he’s close to being fired at Tesla.

• Things are looking better in the market. I started small positions in FB and JPM and both are paying off. I'm not a trader but almost ready to build back up my energy positions after raising cash for months. MPC has been a horse over the past year. Was fortunate to sell some near the recent highs. Need oil a little lower from here before I add more though.

Reactions: AustinTXCat and lz
Just jumped into General Mills (GIS) via a DRiP. Bought the first 11.5 shares. Price = great. Dividend is also good at over 4%. Big Food sector is down right now.
Investing in consumer staples takes a huge pair right now. It's tough when buying PG at a great price to watch it drop a few more dollars. I think the diversification is worth it in the end.

• Things are looking better in the market. I started small positions in FB and JPM and both are paying off. I'm not a trader but almost ready to build back up my energy positions after raising cash for months. MPC has been a horse over the past year. Was fortunate to sell some near the recent highs. Need oil a little lower from here before I add more though.
DK may still have some juice in the energy sector, Nashville based refiner.

Man.. it's been tough watching my retirement accounts the last few months. They';re only going up because of the money I put into them. And even then.. not so much. Gotta just hold tight and buy at a good price, I guess.

My new favorite site to peruse is Seeking Alpha. Lots of great stock articles. And good educational pieces as well for those of us who are novices.

Investing in consumer staples takes a huge pair right now. It's tough when buying PG at a great price to watch it drop a few more dollars. I think the diversification is worth it in the end.
Yeah, both have taken hits in the market recently. I'm looking long-term. GIS and PG are so attractive because of P/E ratio and dividend.

Reactions: jameslee32 and lz
Man.. it's been tough watching my retirement accounts the last few months. They';re only going up because of the money I put into them. And even then.. not so much. Gotta just hold tight and buy at a good price, I guess.

My new favorite site to peruse is Seeking Alpha. Lots of great stock articles. And good educational pieces as well for those of us who are novices.
+1 on Seeking Alpha. Many interesting and well-written articles. I also like Dividend Channel for ideas.

As long as you continue contributing to your retirement accounts on a regular basis (i.e. annual, monthly, weekly, etc.), fluctuation effects are somewhat mitigated. Higher contribution frequency = greater mitigation. That's the rationale I've used successfully with DRiP stocks over nearly 30 years. Works the same with mutual funds.

Last edited:
Yeah, both have taken hits in the market recently. I'm looking long-term. GIS and PG are so attractive because of P/E ratio and dividend.
You are wise, I did fine until crunched by dot com like many others, it’s very hard to be a patient investor, I’ve had a mix of conservative and risky, hasn’t paid off in retirement as well as I hoped, but up this year. I pick good stocks, my selling is the problem!

Exxon Mobile is paying a generous 4% divy right now which is nice security in a somewhat turbulent market. However I'm out of all oil stocks. There is a glut of crud as the shift to natural gas and renewables continues to replace oil. There may be some short term gains to be had but long term I don't see much of a future.

Exxon Mobile is paying a generous 4% divy right now which is nice security in a somewhat turbulent market. However I'm out of all oil stocks. There is a glut of crud as the shift to natural gas and renewables continues to replace oil. There may be some short term gains to be had but long term I don't see much of a future.
Amazon will kill retailers also. lol

All I can say is I've made bank in EOG over the years and believe geo-political tensions will likely keep oil elevated a while longer. Longer term I agree as I've had my smallest oil position overall in years.

Reactions: lz and AustinTXCat
You are wise, I did fine until crunched by dot com like many others, it’s very hard to be a patient investor, I’ve had a mix of conservative and risky, hasn’t paid off in retirement as well as I hoped, but up this year. I pick good stocks, my selling is the problem!
Taking a profit is never a bad thing. I just try to not get too crazy with accumulating cash. In my brokerage account I've been spending some of the money frankly. In my IRA, I look for levels to get right back in. I'm up to 10% cash in one of them and itching to buy. Some of the names I own aren't bargains minus MPC so I've been looking elsewhere.

Taking a profit is never a bad thing. I just try to not get too crazy with accumulating cash. In my brokerage account I've been spending some of the money frankly. In my IRA, I look for levels to get right back in. I'm up to 10% cash in one of them and itching to buy. Some of the names I own aren't bargains minus MPC so I've been looking elsewhere.
When I was working, I was able to slowly accumulate about $100,000 in a taxable account of stocks in addition to my 403B contributions (converted to Ameritrade IRA in retirement). Thus at early retirement (59) I was able to supplement my pension and not having to touch the IRA for several years, only paying capital gains as I sold off the taxable account and drew out of a smaller tax free Roth IRA. Then social security kicked in, so I’m fine and have fun investing our IRAs, except I now want more than 10% Cash! I can’t say for sure it was the greatest strategy, but it sure worked for me.

Last edited:
I don't own it. Not that I would be ashamed if I did.
We accumulated about 25 shares of AMZN in my wife’s IRA, I get nervous but she wisely won’t let me sell it. The stock has seemed too high every time we bought it, but her avg cost of $1,155 looks good now. I hold two good ones a little like that, ALGN and ADBE, seem too high priced, keep going up, and I probably should accumulate more on price drops.

ADVERTISEMENT