ADVERTISEMENT

Stock Advice Thread

I figured with the unstable foreign market I would stay out. I still have some in the international fund. Thanks!

Reactions: AustinTXCat
New to this thread but I see a lot of people posting about having accounts with companies that attach fees per trade, I have been using Robinhood for the last 2 years for a fun/side account and it offers free trades. I don't have a ton of money in it but send cash bi-weekly and leave it until I find something I want to invest in or add to. Not sure about other accounts but as soon as you sell, the funds typically take a couple days to settle. I don't trade heavy volume/heavy capital but it's worked well for me so I figured I'd mention to all who maybe want to dip their feet into trading without having fees. Also I believe they are getting into cryptos as well so it could work as a one stop shop instead of going into another app/company for those into coins.
Great info for a friend of mine!

^This. I scaled back my limit orders even though they are still much lower than current prices. I will do this to have funds left to buy even lower than what's imaginable on the way down. A few of the very best tech and bank stocks are on my radar. Adding to my small FB/AAPL positions and starting a new position in JPM is what I'm thinking.

Reactions: AustinTXCat and lz
I appreciate the advice guys! This is all new territory for me and a good learning experience. I first bought my mutual funds in the 2nd half of 2016. Guess you could say I've been spoiled with a good run since then.

I appreciate the advice guys! This is all new territory for me and a good learning experience. I first bought my mutual funds in the 2nd half of 2016. Guess you could say I've been spoiled with a good run since then.
Unfortunately, getting punched in the mouth is a good reminder. Back in the late 1990’s I had 3 or 4 stocks up more than 10 times my money, watched them go down 60% before I woke up and sold...1 company went under, two more never gained back to where they were.

Nice time to buy 5 shares or so of stocks you’ve wanted for a long time if they dropped 10% in price, perhaps buy more if affordable and they continue to drop.
Buy the dips. And buy as much as you can. Many elites of the market are saying if you keep your cash on the sideline during this correction you’re going to feel like a fool later.

Btw- what really got me ahead is when I bought the dips during the credit crisis. When the market came roaring back I was sitting in a sweet spot.

Buy the dips. And buy as much as you can. Many elites of the market are saying if you keep your cash on the sideline during this correction you’re going to feel like a fool later.

Btw- what really got me ahead is when I bought the dips during the credit crisis. When the market came roaring back I was sitting in a sweet spot.
Amen, KB, good to have you over here, a comeback today could be brief, but many are kicking themselves about not buying yesterday. Luckily, I can buy several shares of stocks I like, but the beauty of low fees allow very small investors (been there) to accumulate 5-10 shares here or there of their favorite companies.

^This. I scaled back my limit orders even though they are still much lower than current prices. I will do this to have funds left to buy even lower than what's imaginable on the way down. A few of the very best tech and bank stocks are on my radar. Adding to my small FB/AAPL positions and starting a new position in JPM is what I'm thinking.
Some good ones there, bought some BAC today after looking hard at JPM, too. I’m selling some shares of my very high PE stocks today, hated to sell NVDA, ADBE, ALGN, but still own some.

Anybody know anything about augmented reality (probably describes a UK fan)? Well known investor Dan Niles has been pounding the table over LITE in that area for some time, then the company had a good surprise eps report.

girls-boobs-howdy-gif-1119289.gif

Reactions: AustinTXCat and lz
I'm about 95% Apple. Think it will be over $200 by this time next year. And that is with a fairly conservative P/E. 10 years from now we are looking at $1000+ IMO.

I'm about 95% Apple. Think it will be over $200 by this time next year. And that is with a fairly conservative P/E. 10 years from now we are looking at $1000+ IMO.
I own a little, some fear out there about the $1,000 pricing, but it’s been a very resilient company and stock. No AMZN?

I own a little, some fear out there about the $1,000 pricing, but it’s been a very resilient company and stock. No AMZN?
No. Did have some Goog in the past though. Not sure why I've never owned any. :( I think it is probably the crazy P/E. When analysts or Wall Street decide that it is no longer a growth stock then it is going to crash hard.

I've just spent so much time studying and breaking down Apple that I'm just a huge believer in it.

No. Did have some Goog in the past though. Not sure why I've never owned any. :( I think it is probably the crazy P/E. When analysts or Wall Street decide that it is no longer a growth stock then it is going to crash hard.

I've just spent so much time studying and breaking down Apple that I'm just a huge believer in it.
The gurus caution us about falling in love with a stock, just be careful.

The gurus caution us about falling in love with a stock, just be careful.
I know. That's why it's only 95%. ;)

I just don't see the smartphone going away anytime soon. And wen it does, Apple will be involved with whatever is next.

Wild past week on the Street, my fellow investors. Stay focused and ride the dips. I'm considering more GE.
Pretty good week or two ahead to put in some ridiculous limit buys, I think, very well may hit on some of them! If some of my stocks/etfs continue not to go up on good days, I will sell most of them.

This could go into the CryptoCUrrency thread..

But why is AMD struggling so much? Nvidia has skyrocketed to $230's and AMD is still at $10/share. Growing up, Nvidia was the better GPU, but AMD and them went back and forth a few times. How has AMD not capitalized on the Cryptomarket and the general need for GPU's in today's technology?

And most importantly, is AMD stock a good one to throw a few hundo/thousand in to see what happens? I can't imagine Nvidia just holds this growth on their own.. someone else HAS to step up right?

This could go into the CryptoCUrrency thread..

But why is AMD struggling so much? Nvidia has skyrocketed to $230's and AMD is still at $10/share. Growing up, Nvidia was the better GPU, but AMD and them went back and forth a few times. How has AMD not capitalized on the Cryptomarket and the general need for GPU's in today's technology?

And most importantly, is AMD stock a good one to throw a few hundo/thousand in to see what happens? I can't imagine Nvidia just holds this growth on their own.. someone else HAS to step up right?
As you may remember, AMD grew their GPU business by purchasing ATI in 2006. One would think, considering the current cryptocurrency boom, AMD stock should also reflect as much. Unfortunately, their core business (CPUs) blows. Ryzen chips are a good idea and a welcome alternative to Intel, but every quarter, AMD rarely fails to disappoint.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
I still wonder if they'll make a turnaround. Nvidia stock was at $30/share two years ago.. BitCoin got big, so did VR Gaming, and they blew up. I guess I'm just amazed AMD got none of the action, despite being a very close 2nd in the GPU market. They must have a bad marketing/sales department.

But SOMEONE will have to emerge right? There's no way the tech world is going to let Nvidia have a stranglehold, all the while running out of product. That's what I want to invest in, company #2.

I take it i can grab that through a Vanguard account? I think I saw an article that listed that as a top10 fund.

Berkshire announced today that they increased their stake in Apple by 23.3% recently. It makes Apple their largest holding.

I think Warren has been doing the math I've been doing. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::smiley:

I still wonder if they'll make a turnaround. Nvidia stock was at $30/share two years ago.. BitCoin got big, so did VR Gaming, and they blew up. I guess I'm just amazed AMD got none of the action, despite being a very close 2nd in the GPU market. They must have a bad marketing/sales department.

But SOMEONE will have to emerge right? There's no way the tech world is going to let Nvidia have a stranglehold, all the while running out of product. That's what I want to invest in, company #2.
It's pretty low margin and steep investment to become a company actually developing and manufacturing gpus. Not going to see anybody but amd & nvidia for a long time. Everybody wants to sell video cards but nobody wants to get into the gpu side. Maybe ARM will dabble in it a bit but they like the market their in.

It's pretty low margin and steep investment to become a company actually developing and manufacturing gpus. Not going to see anybody but amd & nvidia for a long time. Everybody wants to sell video cards but nobody wants to get into the gpu side. Maybe ARM will dabble in it a bit but they like the market their in.

Do you foresee AMD trying to become a player in this? Or maybe they're trying but just haven't gotten the right personnel in place.

AMD is already a player. They have the exact same problem as nvida atm, every version from super cheap to super expensive sells out instantly on amazon & newegg. Can't keep anything stocked and they are selling 10-25% over MSRP. They sat out a few years trying to develop new tech they thought would win the PC enthusiasts hearts but Intel & Nvidia gobbled up all the market share and don't plan on giving it back. AMD's current GPU's and CPUS are great, but so are the competitions and they got to market first.

https://www.nowinstock.net/computers/videocards/
This will give you an idea of how bad the Video Card market is atm. Nothing stays in stock longer than an hour except cards marked up 40% over MSRP. Nvidia and AMD can't just start mass producing their units, if bitcoin just dies off suddenly their is 0 demand for their cards again and they are screwed holding massive inventory.

ADVERTISEMENT