ADVERTISEMENT

Stock Advice Thread

I have 3 stocks right now in my Roth, all I've been holding since the 3rd Q of 2008.
GE (drip)
BRKB
GOOG

I also have 4 mutual funds covering international funds, energy sector, and two in high growth. I set this up to not have to manage regularly. I have a traditional ira that was a retirement rollover when I left my previous employer.

My efforts and extra capital since 2014 have gone into real estate (multi-family and overnight hospitality, with some small commercial). I also have a small contracting company.
Awesome post and diversity! NKY has apartments popping up everywhere. Makes me wonder when the market might get saturated. Everything I read says it not happening here but in other places.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
Awesome post and diversity! NKY has apartments popping up everywhere. Makes me wonder when the market might get saturated. Everything I read says it not happening here but in other places.
We're also witnessing an apartment building boom here in ATX. Crazy stuff. There's profit potential there on the REIT side as well as related investment platforms, like Fundrise.

I would beware medical REIT’s right now. There has been a lot of buildout in that field and insurance companies and Medicare are moving to more and more home, internet, & phone care. It costs a lot less to call someone two times a month from a call center in an industrial park and mail them drugs then it does to send them to see a physician in a big shiny new building in high traffic high rent retail areas near their home.

I would also bail out on FB right now. I think the election and the hyper political environment in our country right now is kind of burning people out on social media.

American manufacturing, technology, and retail are goes right now. I really like the retail segment. Amazon putting everyone out of business has been overplayed and the American consumer is as healthy as they have been in many years. Just trying to find a good spot to invest.

My holdings right now:
BABA
HLT (healthy consumers travel too)
F (the best American auto Manufacturer)
PYPL

Last edited:
I would beware medical REIT’s right now. There has been a lot of buildout in that field and insurance companies and Medicare are moving to more and more home, internet, & phone care. It costs a lot less to call someone two times a month from a call center in an industrial park and mail them drugs then it does to send them to see a physician in a big shiny new building in high traffic high rent retail areas near their home.

I would also bail out on FB right now. I think the election and the hyper political environment in our country right now is kind of burning people out on social media.

American manufacturing, technology, and retail are goes right now. I really like the retail segment. Amazon putting everyone out of business has been overplayed and the American consumer is as healthy as they have been in many years. Just trying to find a good spot to invest.

My holdings right now:
BABA
PYPL
[thumb2]

I also own F for the second time in 15 years. Love the dividend.

Reactions: dgtatu01
7a4fa4fb4e300da85b86c2b58512aca36a2e27e05e3525bf2a1a49270bc2cff9.jpg

My holdings right now:
BABA
PYPL
Paypal has been a horse until recently. Good buying opportunity. I wish I would have gotten into Honda about 8 points ago vs F and added to Kroger instead of GE. I'll just collect 3% and look for other items on sale..

I would avoid REITS also but I have faith in FB and Zuckerberg. The ad revenues are staggering and they're making it more about family and friends which is their bread and butter.

Paypal has been a horse until recently. Good buying opportunity. I wish I would have gotten into Honda about 8 points ago vs F and added to Kroger instead of GE. I'll just collect 3% and look for other items on sale..

I would avoid REITS also but I have faith in FB and Zuckerberg. The ad revenues are staggering and they're making it more about family and friends which is their bread and butter.
I have tried to talk myself into Kroger a few times over the years and didn't. It would have been a nice buy. 4 or 5 years ago when the X-Box One came out and Microsoft changed CEO's and started to focus on cloud computing I bought Microsoft around $25. It just petered around and didn't do much for a year so I sold it around $27. Well it has taken off like a rocket since I sold up to about $95 or so this week. I try to remember my losses as well as my wins so I can remember what went wrong. Did the same thing with Starbucks around 09' bought it for $12 sold it when it dipped to $9 instead of buying. It eventually went to like $5 or so where I could have loaded up. Since then it has bumped $60 several times. I feel like that would be my commitment level to Kroger, I would fell at first sign of trouble. I really try to be super-committed before buying. You can't win em all I guess, but it sure would be nice if you could LOL!!!

I just find the thread and Crickets after today’s comeback?

Does anybody here use TD Ameritrade? I’m being switched soon after their Scottrade buyout, are they user friendly?

I have it. But i can't buy volatile stocks. So i quit td ameritrade.

I use Charles mf'n Schwab. 4.99 per trade.

I have it. But i can't buy volatile stocks. So i quit td ameritrade.

I use Charles mf'n Schwab. 4.99 per trade.
LOL, wondered what his middle name was. So, you like verrrrrry conservative plays? Nothing wrong with that, I’ve always mixed value and growth stocks and etfs.

Reactions: Willy4UK
LOL, wondered what his middle name was. So, you like verrrrrry conservative plays? Nothing wrong with that, I’ve always mixed value and growth stocks and etfs.

Yep. I like those conservative stocks that sell at $.0001.
Got 14.5 mil of GEGP
Got 900K of OCFN

Shit, technically I'm rich if you think about it

Yes. Been with TD Ameritrade for 20 years back when they were simply Ameritrade. I've also visited the TD Ameritrade HQ in Omaha. Trading fees decreased as a result of the merger with ScottTrade.

18033994_10211937653577286_9016588296830721330_n.jpg
19 years ago I bought DRMD in the open market, the company I worked for. Made $350 when I sold a year later.

I have tried to talk myself into Kroger a few times over the years and didn't. It would have been a nice buy. 4 or 5 years ago when the X-Box One came out and Microsoft changed CEO's and started to focus on cloud computing I bought Microsoft around $25. It just petered around and didn't do much for a year so I sold it around $27. Well it has taken off like a rocket since I sold up to about $95 or so this week. I try to remember my losses as well as my wins so I can remember what went wrong. Did the same thing with Starbucks around 09' bought it for $12 sold it when it dipped to $9 instead of buying. It eventually went to like $5 or so where I could have loaded up. Since then it has bumped $60 several times. I feel like that would be my commitment level to Kroger, I would fell at first sign of trouble. I really try to be super-committed before buying. You can't win em all I guess, but it sure would be nice if you could LOL!!!
I’ve owned Kroger, never got the timing right nor excited about it since I shop there. I’ve concluded I’m just not a good long, long term buyer even though I’m retired and older. Interesting what you said about MSFT, I’ve been pretty lost trying gaming stocks, did good in animal care stocks (KIN one to watch if they ever can get their products approved) over the years but nothing appeals currently, have always thought I could find water related stocks that would work, little luck. SBUX a nobrainer stock for many years, not a value anymore, IMHO...enjoyed your comments.

I’m a bit tech heavy, raising Cash, currently like BOFI as my financial, STZ booze, ADBE, AMZN & NVDA tech, etfs for robots, S&P index, cloud, defense, and a few foreigns.
I don't have enough tech or banking financials and also very envious of STZ over the years. Another horse!

Reactions: lz
I don't have enough tech or banking financials and also very envious of STZ over the years. Another horse!
It’s difficult to know when to buy tech stocks, they always seem overpriced, but if you can handle the big price swings, the top semiconductor related companies do well such as MU, MKSI, AMAT, and then NVDA in graphics more recently. I have trouble comparing banking stocks, many are being currently recommended as interest rates started their climb. STZ was a natural since my wife and I love wine, now they are into the best, very popular Mexican beers, liquors, etc...start accumulating when it drops in price, BF-B another good one in that area.

Buy the large cap bank stocks as they stand to benefit from a rising interest rate environment.
So, they are able to take advantage better than smaller banks when int rates rise? Better spreads, perhaps?

Does anybody here use TD Ameritrade? I’m being switched soon after their Scottrade buyout, are they user friendly?

I have an account with TD Ameritrade and also Fidelity. Between the two I'll take Fidelity hands down. They have "all on one page" analysis feature on every stock that show in a simple fashion, fundamentals, technicals, chart, news, analyst opinions, social media activity etc. I really love this feature. I have found TD Ameritrade to be less user friendly, and not as feature rich. One thing they do offer that Fidelity doesn't is their "ThinkorSwim" sophisticated charting system. If you are trader it's a nice feature, but if your an investor it doesn't have much utility IMO>

D, does Fidelity have the S&P Global and Thomson research? I enjoy those, albeit the S&P isn’t updated often.

I don't think so, but the info they do provide is pretty overwhelming.
Thanks, I’ll take a look. My wife uses Zackstrade, cheap trader, not real user friendly at first, but gives me free access to their basic research and a daily early morning report and some stock picks. All research info is helpful, but I’m very picky about what I buy, prefer to make my own screwups after doing this heavily for nearly 30 years. I certainly do need the various internet articles at Yahoo, CNBC, Zacks, etc, to keep somewhat up to date on individual stocks and ETFs.

So, they are able to take advantage better than smaller banks when int rates rise? Better spreads, perhaps?
In essence, yes. Large banks typically have a larger portion of their loans as floating rate loans. So they stand to benefit more.

D, does Fidelity have the S&P Global and Thomson research? I enjoy those, albeit the S&P isn’t updated often.
See if you can get your hands on Credit Suisse research. Company buys it for me. Having started at Merrill Lynch and then changing jobs with a move to E.F. Hutton. Through Mergers and Acquisitions, have worked for Lehman Brothers, Solomon Brothers, Shearson. and Smith Barney, I've seen a lot of research. CS is the best.

See if you can get your hands on Credit Suisse research. Company buys it for me. Having started at Merrill Lynch and then changing jobs with a move to E.F. Hutton. Through Mergers and aquisitions and have worked for Lehman Brothers, Solomon Brothers, Shearson. and Smith Barney, I've seen a lot of research. CS is the best.
You have worked for really big, high quality companies, though I’m sure you wearied of the many mergers! Thanks, I’ll check into it.

Reactions: 1977 Cat
You would have a hard time believing some of the stories I could tell you.
Even my work for a small CPA firm with 2 old partners and 2 young ones became complex before falling apart, one partner would tell you to research something in our small library, only to have another partner tell you to quit wasting time, do it on your own time (no internet back then).

Even my work for a small CPA firm with 2 old partners and 2 young ones became complex before falling apart, one partner would tell you to research something in our small library, only to have another partner tell you to quit wasting time, do it on your own time (no internet back then).
Really hard to think of what we did without the internet!

Really hard to think of what we did without the internet!
And at the pay I got back in the 1970s, no way I was researching on my own time, we young hires drank away our overtime pay during tax season (hand prepared, no computer generated returns back then) trying to reduce the stress!

See if you can get your hands on Credit Suisse research. Company buys it for me. Having started at Merrill Lynch and then changing jobs with a move to E.F. Hutton. Through Mergers and Acquisitions, have worked for Lehman Brothers, Solomon Brothers, Shearson. and Smith Barney, I've seen a lot of research. CS is the best.
Appying to them for Equities Research, will be interesting if they let me have it free since I don’t have a brokerage account with them. Maybe if I bought 1 share of their precarious looking stock....[devil]

LZ, took you advice from HOB to check this thread out. Nice!

Question. I use to dibble in stocks back in the 90's. Now just let my 401k do it for me through work. Now I have mostly my weekly $ going into Small and Large cap funds. It was mostly going into International until about 5-6 years ago. I've been told I need to get back into the international stock. What say you? I'll be 50 this year and looking to retire from my work ( not retire completely) in about 10 or so years from there. Hell that will be almost 40 years in that place!

New to this thread but I see a lot of people posting about having accounts with companies that attach fees per trade, I have been using Robinhood for the last 2 years for a fun/side account and it offers free trades. I don't have a ton of money in it but send cash bi-weekly and leave it until I find something I want to invest in or add to. Not sure about other accounts but as soon as you sell, the funds typically take a couple days to settle. I don't trade heavy volume/heavy capital but it's worked well for me so I figured I'd mention to all who maybe want to dip their feet into trading without having fees. Also I believe they are getting into cryptos as well so it could work as a one stop shop instead of going into another app/company for those into coins.

Reactions: jameslee32 and lz
LZ, took you advice from HOB to check this thread out. Nice!

Question. I use to dibble in stocks back in the 90's. Now just let my 401k do it for me through work. Now I have mostly my weekly $ going into Small and Large cap funds. It was mostly going into International until about 5-6 years ago. I've been told I need to get back into the international stock. What say you? I'll be 50 this year and looking to retire from my work ( not retire completely) in about 10 or so years from there. Hell that will be almost 40 years in that place!
1977 Cat knows plenty more than I, though since he works for a large brokerage, he may not be able (or want) to dispense any free specific advice. I prefer ETFs over mutual funds, but before I retired, I always had some foreign exposure in my 401k. You ought to compare the 3 year performance of that fund with its peers. Watching CNBC daily I hear everything, some saying stay US during the correction, maybe 77 Cat can advise us. I have etf exposure to India and under developed countries currently, even bought a little BABA today while it’s down after avoiding China the last few years.

ADVERTISEMENT