ADVERTISEMENT

Stock Advice Thread

As you probably already know the money going into 401k is pre-tax money so that's something.

I've heard you should have 3 to 6 months of liquid capital in reserve (for monthly bills in case of emergency) I'd lean to 6+. Maybe do that if you havent already. 2% online savings account.

Yep, working towards the 3-6 months in savings.. but, that will go towards the down payment as a house at some point, so I'll need to fill it back up. People can't possibly do both, right?

Pre-tax is great for my early career. It will suck later, but oh well. That's why I'm cramming the Roth IRA.

Yep, working towards the 3-6 months in savings.. but, that will go towards the down payment as a house at some point, so I'll need to fill it back up. People can't possibly do both, right?

Pre-tax is great for my early career. It will suck later, but oh well. That's why I'm cramming the Roth IRA.
Roth cramming is the right thing to do.

Raiding your emergency savings is risky.

Keep doing what you're doing. Don't fear the tax man in this environment with zero evidence the rich will do anything other than lobby for even lower rates in the future.

There's no evidence of that higher tax rate happening in my lifetime.

I’m talking about in terms of myself/lineski being earlier in our careers and at a lower tax rate compared to the future. If you are making the same now as you will be in the future I understand it may not apply to you.

I’m talking about in terms of myself/lineski being earlier in our careers and at a lower tax rate compared to the future. If you are making the same now as you will be in the future I understand it may not apply to you.
The more and more you make and are taxed, is a quality problem to have. The question becomes what will you get for these paid taxes in terms of what will Social Security and Medicare look like at the end of your careers?? I just don't see evidence of a higher rate any time soon.

The more and more you make and are taxed, is a quality problem to have. The question becomes what will you get for these paid taxes in terms of what will Social Security and Medicare look like at the end of your careers?? I just don't see evidence of a higher rate any time soon.

I agree. You should always plan for “what if’s” in retirement.....just as you would in your present life. I don’t foresee a tax hike either. To me SS and health insurance are the bigger questions. I’m planning to save well enough that a tax hike or health insurance issue will be lessened. And you should never plan for SS to be a major staple of your retirement.

Reactions: jameslee32
I agree. You should always plan for “what if’s” in retirement.....just as you would in your present life. I don’t foresee a tax hike either. To me SS and health insurance are the bigger questions. I’m planning to save well enough that a tax hike or health insurance issue will be lessened. And you should never plan for SS to be a major staple of your retirement.

I never said anything about a “tax hike” in terms of Congress enacting higher rates. I was commenting on being in a higher bracket at a later date than current based on income.

I never said anything about a “tax hike” in terms of Congress enacting higher rates. I was commenting on being in a higher bracket at a later date than current based on income.

Fair enough.

Honestly it doesn’t matter.
-get the match for your employer
-then funnel a Roth
-contribute 15+% yrly
-make sure your portfolio is diverse

You do that, you’ll have a comfortable retirement. The taxes are what they are.

<- - - - Currently paying into pension programs for the second time in my adult life. Had a nice match while working for a state contractor 2001-2005. Received a decent nest egg from 5 years in the semi-conductor industry after retirement from the Army. This amount is divided between Vanguard and Fidelity. Looking at dealing with Wells Fargo on this current stint after accounting for the state plan.

You can never have enough. Think greed, and take a greedy outlook. I also currently work side-hustles, which I'll detail a bit in an upcoming thread. Also think income streams and ask yourself, "how can I create additional income streams?".

Investing addresses some of those concerns. Become more active with your money management. In this present environment, it is highly possible to create more lucrative streams, especially while you are young.

If you receive an unexpected windfall, then, by hell, save it and invest it further. Use my words to your advantage.

Last edited:
Reactions: jameslee32
NBEV back on the up and up after buying out a company called Miranda...

Damn I wish CGC would bounce back a little faster, being in the red doesn’t scare me there but geez it’s taking forever.

NBEV back on the up and up after buying out a company called Miranda...

Damn I wish CGC would bounce back a little faster, being in the red doesn’t scare me there but geez it’s taking forever.

Gonna take forever. I’m guessing into Srping/Summer before we see some meaningful increase from CGC. But the real gains may take 5-10 yrs. Right now, collect.

The rumors of Diageo and Aurora have picked up again.....slightly. Likely a good time to collect on them as well.

IDK how anyone can predict their income 10, 20, and 30 years down the road. That's crazy to me. But maybe that's more about today's job market and the automation of lots of jobs. So much job disruption.

So it seems I should gather up a bit larger emergency fund. And I guess that goes back to my question: Where should I do this out of? Emergency fund shouldn't be tied up in stocks and able to fluctuate. Is an online savings bank the best bet here?

Once that's built up enough, do I then start looking at short term investing (3-8 years) for more fun purchases?

IDK how anyone can predict their income 10, 20, and 30 years down the road. That's crazy to me. But maybe that's more about today's job market and the automation of lots of jobs. So much job disruption.

So it seems I should gather up a bit larger emergency fund. And I guess that goes back to my question: Where should I do this out of? Emergency fund shouldn't be tied up in stocks and able to fluctuate. Is an online savings bank the best bet here?

Once that's built up enough, do I then start looking at short term investing (3-8 years) for more fun purchases?

Here lately gurus have said 6 months or more of cash savings. But to me it depends on your job, situation, etc. My wife and I have enough cash for 3 months.....but enough investments to last a yr. Ideally the investments will double every 5-10 yrs with combined contributions and interest.

Here lately gurus have said 6 months or more of cash savings. But to me it depends on your job, situation, etc. My wife and I have enough cash for 3 months.....but enough investments to last a yr. Ideally the investments will double every 5-10 yrs with combined contributions and interest.

I've wondered just how important the emergency fund is in 2018, with how readily available credit/cash can be. I guess it can't hurt to keep that money, but it killed me that (up until the last year) it would sit in a savings account with a 0.1% interest rate.

Thankfully the emergency fund is a bit more palpable with better savings rates every few weeks.

I've wondered just how important the emergency fund is in 2018, with how readily available credit/cash can be. I guess it can't hurt to keep that money, but it killed me that (up until the last year) it would sit in a savings account with a 0.1% interest rate.

Thankfully the emergency fund is a bit more palpable with better savings rates every few weeks.

Once you get your investments rolling, your emergency fund will only be a fraction of that. So it’s easier to stomach that it’s not gathering interest.

I also use my emergency fund for bigger expenses and “buys of opportunity”. Our septic had a rather urgent situation. Paid it off no sweat. Our 7 yr old Samsung fridge broke yet again....could’ve had it repaired for a couple hundred again but the fund allowed us to dump it and buy another. If a stock becomes a great opportunity buy, I’ve got the cash readily available.

Cash is good because you don’t “have to” sell any investments. Also, think of worse case scenarios. The market tanks and you lose your job as a consequence. Now your investments don’t have quite the power you thought.

Last edited:
Once you get your investments rolling, your emergency fund will only be a fraction of that. So it’s easier to stomach that it’s not gathering interest.

I also use my emergency fund for bigger expenses and “buys of opportunity”. Our septic had a rather urgent situation. Paid it off no sweat. Our 7 yr old Samsung fridge broke yet again....could’ve had it repaired for a couple hundred again but the fund allowed us to dump it and buy another. If a stock becomes a great opportunity buy, I’ve got the cash readily available.

Cash is good because you don’t “have to” sell any investments. Also, think of worse case scenarios. The market ranks and you lose your job as a consequence. Now your investments don’t have quite the power you thought.
Replacing a water heater about a month before our trip to Disney, 2 months before real estate taxes are due, 3 months before my wife's emergency room visit and 4 months before my planned dental surgery, screams emergency!

For the love of God, Just do it!

New 401k provider still processing the rollover (they did a check, but I made sure I wouldn't incur any "withdrawl" penalties). While I've missed a few days of gains, like yesterday.. I really lucked out today but not having it in there to get hammered.

However, it probably won't be there tomorrow either in time for the bounce back.

Cash is good because you don’t “have to” sell any investments. Also, think of worse case scenarios. The market tanks and you lose your job as a consequence. Now your investments don’t have quite the power you thought.

I swear, Samsung’s are the biggest POS refrigerators out there. We always had problems with ours. Had an extended warranty with service visits, then the warranty ran out and kept having problems. We had to defrost it every few months because it kept icing up. Finally replaced it after having it only five years. Meanwhile, my Whirlpool Gold fridge in the utility room I’ve had for 15 years keeps humming away with no issues at all.

Reactions: BlueRaider22
I swear, Samsung’s are the biggest POS refrigerators out there. We always had problems with ours. Had an extended warranty with service visits, then the warranty ran out and kept having problems. We had to defrost it every few months because it kept icing up. Finally replaced it after having it only five years. Meanwhile, my Whirlpool Gold fridge in the utility room I’ve had for 15 years keeps humming away with no issues at all.

Yup. Fridge is 7 yrs old.....now broke for 2nd time. Freezer side has always worked well.....it’s the fridge side. And you have to call in special people to work on them. Pieratts, Lowe’s, etc, all have guys immediately in the area that can work with all the other main brands. Every seller we talked to said hands down the brands with the least issues are the Whirlpool family (Maytag, Whirlpool, Amana, KitchenAid). The Frigidaire, GE, etc, are in the middle. Samsung is by far the worst.

You should plan on SS/Medicare not being there... at some point it will become means tested if it wants to survive at all, has to

Durable goods are less durable by design and planned obsolescence, the customer wants cheap and the immediacy of a good looking purchase, so that's what you get... a bunch of cost cutting in a fancy looking package that breaks a few years after warranty so you rinse/repeat buy a new one

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
You should plan on SS/Medicare not being there... at some point it will become means tested if it wants to survive at all, has to

Durable goods are less durable by design and planned obsolescence, the customer wants cheap and the immediacy of a good looking purchase, so that's what you get... a bunch of cost cutting in a fancy looking package that breaks a few years after warranty so you rinse/repeat buy a new one

Agreed. You should always plan on SS not being there. That way when the time comes it's basically a bonus.

On a side note, I've read a few experts stating that SS won't completely go *poof* and disappear. The most likely scenario in their eyes was that you just won't get 100% of the money you normally would......but rather more like 75%. At some point though the population will be so large (and will live for a long, long time) that it won't be sustainable.

1. I've been ingrained to never, ever, ever touch your retirement unless for extreme circumstances. I have heard, that there's a way to pull some out for a house purchase, provided you pay it back. So that house better be some great investment piece.

2.I can't imagine Samsung would make good appliances. Just not their game, hard to service, too much tech. Heard the same thing about LG's. I mean you wouldn't buy a Whirlpool Android tablet, would you?

I don't believe so, but I might double check on that.

I've maxed out my yearly Roth IRA contributions, which is why I'm socking so much into my 401k. Maybe it's time to look at a traditional IRA. My question is, what's the downside to contributing too much to a 401k? Traditional and Roth IRA's still have pretty small limits.

So maybe:
1. Hit my contribution for 401k (4%)
2. Max out Roth IRA at $6,000, then
3. Open a traditional IRA, look to max that out?

I'm starting to understand the "life" part of what you guys are saying. My short term savings (/emergency fund) could certainly be larger. You can't take it with you, as they say.
I’m retired, had your situation somewhat, opened a taxable brokerage account of growth stocks and ETFs, not many dividend plays to avoid paying taxes except capital gains on a few sales. I grew that money into a comfortable amount, used the Roth and taxable account several years before needing to tap our fully taxable regular IRAs set up from 401K rollovers.

Last edited:
https://www.fool.com/investing/2018/12/02/the-22-billion-market-thats-about-to-open-up-for-a.aspx

Uh oh?!. Mitch McConnell all about the buds.....

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell was a major supporter of fully legalizing hemp in the 2018 Farm Bill.

Marijuana Business Daily projects that the U.S. marijuana market will reach $22 billion by 2022. That's close to the $23.4 billion marijuana market projected by Arcview Market Research and BDS Analytics. But the separate hemp-based cannabidiol (CBD) market could be just as big.

The entire U.S. hemp market last year was around $820 million. Cannabis market research company Brightfield Group thinks that the hemp CBD market in the U.S. will increase dramatically, to $22 billion by 2022. Brightfield Group recently stated that the 2018 Farm Bill "will change the game entirely."

But will Aurora Cannabis and Canopy Growth be able to profit? It looks like a good bet.

.....the Farm Bill differentiates hemp from marijuana. The bill even will change the Controlled Substance Act to specifically state that the definition of marijuana doesn't include hemp.

That's a lot of work that must be completed very quickly. If the legislation isn't passed by the end of the year, the new Congress that will be sworn in in January will have to restart the process.

However, the hard part is over. The smart money would certainly be on a new Farm Bill becoming law in 2019, with hemp becoming legal at the federal level in the U.S.

Aurora had Coca Cola almost, but it feel apart.

NBEV is the drink company IMO to go with and CGC is the weed company.

I must admit though when they hit $29 last week I was scared to death. Riding out a loss like that is rough but they have bounced back nicely this week.

I’ve bought in at $42, $36 and $33 which has me way too invested for where I am financially.

Looking at getting preapproved to build a house next month and may be forced to pull some funds out so I hope CGC continues their rebound!

Aurora had Coca Cola almost, but it feel apart.

NBEV is the drink company IMO to go with and CGC is the weed company.

I must admit though when they hit $29 last week I was scared to death. Riding out a loss like that is rough but they have bounced back nicely this week.

I’ve bought in at $42, $36 and $33 which has me way too invested for where I am financially.

Looking at getting preapproved to build a house next month and may be forced to pull some funds out so I hope CGC continues their rebound!

I think they'll rebound.....in fact, I'm fairly confident. The question is when? No doubt the big money prize is getting into the US market......which needs legalization at the federal level. It seems like the recent Farm Bill will crack the door open.......and I don't think it'll take too long for legalization to occur. Little by little the states have spoken their stance already.

That’s right which is why I don’t want to pull out of it, but I’m way too invested in it.

With NBEV finally bringing me a profit I thought about selling it now just in case, but it’s not what I want to do.

CGC is up after hours what it lost today to be about even.

Last week it hit $29 a share and is up $4 a share from that point.

CGC didn’t take a beating today, nor did NBEV.

They went down a little but they have been lower in the past week, and I don’t see how the farm bill does anything but help.

Reactions: BlueRaider22
CGC didn’t take a beating today, nor did NBEV.

They went down a little but they have been lower in the past week, and I don’t see how the farm bill does anything but help.

Agreed. Possible multi-billion dollar business. And is a foot in the door for legalization of full pot.

ADVERTISEMENT