ADVERTISEMENT

Stl Cardinals Thread

HymanKaplan

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 14, 2001
I like the moves they made.

Fedde is having a pretty good season, although it's WAY above his career numbers, so who knows if it's a fluke, or he's figured something out.

I've always liked Pham. When he's healthy, he murders the ball.

Either way, if Sonny Gray doesn't get back on track, we're not making the post season.

Last edited:
Re Fedde, for hitters there is a school called Drive line that some of them attend in the offseason. There is a similar school for pitchers. Supposedly Fedde attended it and then went overseas for a year working on a couple of things. He was great over there against lesser competition and has been good this year. Lucky or now better? To early to tell.

He says he modified his grip, which added a foot or so on off speed breaking pitches, abandoned his curveball, and started relying on his sweeper.

He says he modified his grip, which added a foot or so on off speed breaking pitches, abandoned his curveball, and started relying on his sweeper.
The sweeper is basically a slider with more break. The sweeper grip has the first finger almost in a knuckle ball type grip. Some guys threw it when I was a kid many years ago. It is not new, just more popular. The sabermetric stats say if there is to much break on it, it is easier for guys to recognize it will be out of the zone. some guys are throwing the regular slider and a sweeper.

The sweeper is basically a slider with more break. The sweeper grip has the first finger almost in a knuckle ball type grip. Some guys threw it when I was a kid many years ago. It is not new, just more popular. The sabermetric stats say if there is to much break on it, it is easier for guys to recognize it will be out of the zone. some guys are throwing the regular slider and a sweeper.
I know what a sweeper is, and I'm not saying it's new, I'm just saying that he essentially gave up throwing a 12 6 curveball, and is using the sweeper more. IOW - I'm just telling you what Fedde says that he changed/worked on, when he was overseas. I haven't done an in depth analysis of Fedde, by breaking down film over his career. LOL

I know what a sweeper is, and I'm not saying it's new, I'm just saying that he essentially gave up throwing a 12 6 curveball, and is using the sweeper more. IOW - I'm just telling you what Fedde says that he changed/worked on, when he was overseas. I haven't done an in depth analysis of Fedde, by breaking down film over his career. LOL
Wasn't intending to talk down to you. Didn't know how closely you followed baseball. I actually got to see Stan Musial play in the old Sportsmans Park. I took some college classes with Bob Hawk Taylor if you remember him.

I like the moves they made.

Fedde is having a pretty good season, although it's WAY above his career numbers, so who knows if it's a fluke, or he's figured something out.

I've always liked Pham. When he's healthy, he murders the ball.

Either way, if Sonny Gray doesn't get back on track, we're not making the post season.

We basically got Pham cause left handers have been killings us all year

Tommy Pham's .848 OPS vs. left-handers will be second-best on the team and far better than any of the Cardinals' outfielders vs. lefties. Against lefties, the Cardinals' outfield ranks second-to-last in baseball in weighted runs created, per Fangraphs, and 40% below average.18 hours ago

Reactions: HymanKaplan
Their run differential vs record is not a good sign for the rest of the season. They’ve got the RD of a team that should be like 10 games under .500 right now. That’ll come back to bite them. I’d fade their playoff hopes pretty hard.

I honestly can't understand why anyone would be interested in Carlson, but hey, I'll take it.

I think @trueblujr2 needs to be in this conversation..

mr-bean-bean.gif

Definitely having a better yr than last yr.

Those 2001 to 2011 rosters were just insane. Never been able to recreate that type of foundation since.

They haven't done enough for me to think they are anything but middle of the road currently.

Reactions: TheFrontRunner
Cardinals done what the rest of the division did and decided to do just enough to stay competitive but not go after a division title. I like what Baltimore did and things should be fun as we head into fall.

Been a Cardinal fan since the Musical days! We actually had a guy from here in Central City that played a little for the Cardinals, Corky Withrow.
A couple of Musial stories. Stan had a rep of always being happy. A reporter asked him why he smiled all the time. Stan said, you'd smile to if you knew you were going to hit .350.

One day the Cardinal team plane had problems. All the players were scared but Stan. Stan laughed and said, I can see the headlines now. Cards team plane crashes. Musial only survivor.

One more. Cardinals are playing the Dodgers. Musial is fresh up from the minors. Pitching for the Dodgers is Van Mungo, notorious for throwing at people at a time when there were no helmets. The first two pitches were head high and tight. The next one was a triple in the gap. The ump hollers, Hey Van, you sure scared the he'll out of that kid didn't you?

• Love
I hope Tommy Pham doesn't get so hyped over that SLAM that he pimp slaps someone in the face. But if he absolutely HAS to, I hope it's Lars Nootbaar. (I have no idea why I picked him over Dylan Carlson)

Cardinals are just a steaming pile of mediocrity. Haven't won a world series in 13 years, haven't made one in 11 and other than the nlcs where Washington humiliated them several years back they haven't done much in post season the past decade.

I love the cardinals but dang, I expect better. Very similar to UK basketballs slide the past decade or so.

Cardinals are just a steaming pile of mediocrity. Haven't won a world series in 13 years, haven't made one in 11 and other than the nlcs where Washington humiliated them several years back they haven't done much in post season the past decade.

I love the cardinals but dang, I expect better. Very similar to UK basketballs slide the past decade or so.

I can certainly see why you stopped by then. Can I introduce you to Tommy Pham? He has something for you.

Musial broke in as a pitcher and played outfield between starts. One day while making a diving catch, he hurt his shoulder, derailing his pitching hopes. He was married and had a new born son, so he was going home to work in the coal mines. His minor league manager asked him, the wife and child to move into his home. He said his wife would help with the child if Stan would give it a shot as an outfielder. Stan agreed.
That manager was Dickie Kerr, who was a hero of the infamous Black Sox scandal. Over the years, Kerr had fallen on hard times. Stan had become a big star. Stan bought Dickie and his wife a new home.

My Dad bought me this record at a rummage sale, when I was about 7 years old, and I still have it to this day, complete with the illustration/photo book it came with. (you'd listen to the record, and follow along with the book)

I'd like to say that it helped me in my Little League career, but well, I sucked as a hitter for the most part. But that LP still means the world to me.

(I should have let CatinIL use it, but frankly, he didn't really need it. he raked anyway)

musial.jpg

My Dad bought me this record at a rummage sale, when I was about 7 years old, and I still have it to this day, complete with the illustration/photo book it came with. (you'd listen to the record, and follow along with the book)

I'd like to say that it helped me in my Little League career, but well, I sucked as a hitter for the most part. But that LP still means the world to me.

(I should have let CatinIL use it, but frankly, he didn't really need it. he raked anyway)

musial.jpg
Reminds me of another story. Chuck Connors was a MLB player for awhile. He said once when they were playing the Cardinals, he asked Stan for some hitting tips. He said Stan worked with him for about an hour. He also said that he sucked as a hitter and thought he should give acting A shot.

Didn't the Rifleman have a cup of coffee in the NBA as well? I think he did.

I used to watch that show, but that stupid kid never did what he was told to, and was half the reason his old man had to get into so much crap. Or, at the very least, he greatly exacerbated the situation.

Reactions: berniecarbo
Musial broke in as a pitcher and played outfield between starts. One day while making a diving catch, he hurt his shoulder, derailing his pitching hopes. He was married and had a new born son, so he was going home to work in the coal mines. His minor league manager asked him, the wife and child to move into his home. He said his wife would help with the child if Stan would give it a shot as an outfielder. Stan agreed.
That manager was Dickie Kerr, who was a hero of the infamous Black Sox scandal. Over the years, Kerr had fallen on hard times. Stan had become a big star. Stan bought Dickie and his wife a new home.

Good Cardinals stories as always @berniecarbo

Wow... Listen to the stadium when he hit that, and then, calling for him to come out of the dugout and tip the cap.

That was an eruption. Just awesome. After the last couple of weeks, that fanbase needed a charge like that.

Wow, Shawn Armstrong, the "pitcher" we got for Carlson is ummm... well, he's just AWFUL.

I get that Carlson was done here, so I guess getting ANYTHING for him is better than nothing, but frankly, I'd have just preferred cash...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT