ADVERTISEMENT

Stl Cardinals Thread

HymanKaplan

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 14, 2001
I like the moves they made.

Fedde is having a pretty good season, although it's WAY above his career numbers, so who knows if it's a fluke, or he's figured something out.

I've always liked Pham. When he's healthy, he murders the ball.

Either way, if Sonny Gray doesn't get back on track, we're not making the post season.

Last edited:
Re Fedde, for hitters there is a school called Drive line that some of them attend in the offseason. There is a similar school for pitchers. Supposedly Fedde attended it and then went overseas for a year working on a couple of things. He was great over there against lesser competition and has been good this year. Lucky or now better? To early to tell.

He says he modified his grip, which added a foot or so on off speed breaking pitches, abandoned his curveball, and started relying on his sweeper.

He says he modified his grip, which added a foot or so on off speed breaking pitches, abandoned his curveball, and started relying on his sweeper.
The sweeper is basically a slider with more break. The sweeper grip has the first finger almost in a knuckle ball type grip. Some guys threw it when I was a kid many years ago. It is not new, just more popular. The sabermetric stats say if there is to much break on it, it is easier for guys to recognize it will be out of the zone. some guys are throwing the regular slider and a sweeper.

The sweeper is basically a slider with more break. The sweeper grip has the first finger almost in a knuckle ball type grip. Some guys threw it when I was a kid many years ago. It is not new, just more popular. The sabermetric stats say if there is to much break on it, it is easier for guys to recognize it will be out of the zone. some guys are throwing the regular slider and a sweeper.
I know what a sweeper is, and I'm not saying it's new, I'm just saying that he essentially gave up throwing a 12 6 curveball, and is using the sweeper more. IOW - I'm just telling you what Fedde says that he changed/worked on, when he was overseas. I haven't done an in depth analysis of Fedde, by breaking down film over his career. LOL

I know what a sweeper is, and I'm not saying it's new, I'm just saying that he essentially gave up throwing a 12 6 curveball, and is using the sweeper more. IOW - I'm just telling you what Fedde says that he changed/worked on, when he was overseas. I haven't done an in depth analysis of Fedde, by breaking down film over his career. LOL
Wasn't intending to talk down to you. Didn't know how closely you followed baseball. I actually got to see Stan Musial play in the old Sportsmans Park. I took some college classes with Bob Hawk Taylor if you remember him.

I like the moves they made.

Fedde is having a pretty good season, although it's WAY above his career numbers, so who knows if it's a fluke, or he's figured something out.

I've always liked Pham. When he's healthy, he murders the ball.

Either way, if Sonny Gray doesn't get back on track, we're not making the post season.

We basically got Pham cause left handers have been killings us all year

Tommy Pham's .848 OPS vs. left-handers will be second-best on the team and far better than any of the Cardinals' outfielders vs. lefties. Against lefties, the Cardinals' outfield ranks second-to-last in baseball in weighted runs created, per Fangraphs, and 40% below average.18 hours ago

Reactions: HymanKaplan
Their run differential vs record is not a good sign for the rest of the season. They’ve got the RD of a team that should be like 10 games under .500 right now. That’ll come back to bite them. I’d fade their playoff hopes pretty hard.

I honestly can't understand why anyone would be interested in Carlson, but hey, I'll take it.

I think @trueblujr2 needs to be in this conversation..

mr-bean-bean.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT