ADVERTISEMENT

Stats don't lie: Cow-led UK is not a TOP 10 program

CROCAT

Freshman
Nov 20, 2018
Top 5 programs (the so-called "Gold Standard").

Gonzaga 21 win 0 titles 2 Final Fours
Villanova 20 wins 2 titles 3 Final Fours
UNC 19 wins 1 title 3 Final Fours
Kansas 19 wins 1 title 2 Final Fours
Michigan 14 wins 0 titles 1 Final Four

Note: underlined programs in italics are still playing in the 2023 NCAA Tournament (and are likely to overtake Kentucky on the list or leave it further behind).

Other relevant programs:

Duke 13 wins 0 titles 1 Final Four
Houston 12 wins 0 titles 1 Final Four
Baylor 11 wins 1 title 1 Final Four
Virginia 11 wins 1 title 1 Final Four
Oregon 11 wins 0 titles 1 Final Four
Kentucky 11 wins 0 titles 0 Final Fours
UCLA 10 wins 0 titles 1 Final Four
Arkansas 10 wins 0 titles 0 Final Fours
Mich. St. 9 wins 0 titles 1 Final Four

Syracuse 8 wins 0 titles 1 Final Four
Auburn 7 wins 0 titles 1 Final Four
Oklahoma 6 wins 0 titles 1 Final Four

Conclusion: not only we are not even in the same ballpark as our traditional rivals such as UNC and Kansas, but under CCC we have been completely outclassed by Gonzaga and Villanova. Duke and UCLA have also had more success (so much for beating K or catching UCLA in titles). Other non-traditional basketball programs such as Michigan, Houston, Virginia and Baylor, which do not have one iota of Kentucky's basketball tradition, have also been better, while Syracuse, Auburn, Oklahoma, Michigan State (and small-time programs such as South Carolina which did not even make the cut) managed to go to a Final Four before Crapapari.

To sum it up, Kentucky is not even a TOP 10 school these days. What a disgrace.

Last edited:
Lots of people here have made fun of Gonzaga over the years. But this is now 5 out of the last 6 seasons they have advanced farther than us in the NCAA tournament. The only year they didn't we both lost in the Sweet 16 (2018).

Reactions: UKMKG
From the start of the 2015/2016 season AKA after Wisconsin which was the turning point for our program. I still think that's the worst loss in Kentucky basketball history.

I don’t know about worst, but I would say the Wisconsin loss is the most negatively impactful loss in modern program history. It almost feels like a curse.

Reactions: CROCAT and wobycat
Definitely time for a change. Calipari should have left in 2019 and both parties would be better off.

It is always amusing to me about cherrypicking stats though.

We will beat our chests about national titles won in the Truman and eisenhower administration's but for the sake of this argument we have to start it at an arbitrary fall 2015 stat. Not even 10 years or some logical starting data point.

Definitely time for a change. Calipari should have left in 2019 and both parties would be better off.

It is always amusing to me about cherrypicking stats though.

We will beat our chests about national titles won in the Truman and eisenhower administration's but for the sake of this argument we have to start it at an arbitrary fall 2015 stat. Not even 10 years or some logical starting data point.
I think both things can be true, though. We can be really proud of our historical place in college basketball (ie the titles won during Truman and Eisenhower) but also be really critical of the downtrend in Cali's tenure here. I don't think you're really even disagreeing, if you also think Cal was done here in 2019. It's not really cherrypicking at all. For instance, I think Cal was amazing here from 2009-2015. The trend downward since has been absolutely significant. That's not cherrypicking at all.

Reactions: CROCAT
Lots of people here have made fun of Gonzaga over the years. But this is now 5 out of the last 6 seasons they have advanced farther than us in the NCAA tournament. The only year they didn't we both lost in the Sweet 16 (2018).
Not to mention they kicked our ass when we played this year.

• Angry
Not to mention they kicked our ass when we played this year.
Yep. All the "Gonzaga is overrated" trash talk should immediately cease here IMO. Even if they are overrated, they've been better than us for a while now.

Top 5 programs (the so-called "Gold Standard").

Gonzaga 21 win 0 titles 2 Final Fours
Villanova 20 wins 2 titles 3 Final Fours
UNC 19 wins 1 title 3 Final Fours
Kansas 19 wins 1 title 2 Final Fours
Michigan 14 wins 0 titles 1 Final Four

Note: underlined programs in italics are still playing in the 2023 NCAA Tournament (and are likely to overtake Kentucky on the list or leave it further behind).

Other relevant programs:

Duke 13 wins 0 titles 1 Final Four
Houston 12 wins 0 titles 1 Final Four
Baylor 11 wins 1 title 1 Final Four
Virginia 11 wins 1 title 1 Final Four
Oregon 11 wins 0 titles 1 Final Four
Kentucky 11 wins 0 titles 0 Final Fours
UCLA 10 wins 0 titles 1 Final Four
Arkansas 10 wins 0 titles 0 Final Fours
Mich. St. 9 wins 0 titles 1 Final Four

Syracuse 8 wins 0 titles 1 Final Four
Auburn 7 wins 0 titles 1 Final Four
Oklahoma 6 wins 0 titles 1 Final Four

Conclusion: not only we are not even in the same ballpark as our traditional rivals such as UNC and Kansas, but under CCC we have been completely outclassed by Gonzaga and Villanova. Duke and UCLA have also had more success (so much for beating K or catching UCLA in titles). Other non-traditional basketball programs such as Michigan, Houston, Virginia and Baylor, which do not have one iota of Kentucky's basketball tradition, have also been better, while Syracuse, Auburn, Oklahoma, Michigan State (and small-time programs such as South Carolina which did not even make the cut) managed to go to a Final Four before Crapapari.

To sum it up, Kentucky is not even a TOP 10 school these days. What a disgrace.
I would appear UK is no longer a top 10 program based on performance.

Yep. All the "Gonzaga is overrated" trash talk should immediately cease here IMO. Even if they are overrated, they've been better than us for a while now.
Exactly. I mean I would take making the 16 every year then choking over what we have had the last 7/8 years.

And give them credit. Over the last 5 years Few has put together very tough non conference schedules before the weak west starts. He's trying to make them tougher and more prepared.

Reactions: STL_Cat
Wow if we could only turn back time and actually tell Cal to take the UCLA job instead of holding UK hostage for a lifetime contract.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT