ADVERTISEMENT

State of 2025 Recruiting

Makes me wonder if the whole "staying close to home" stuff was so much BS....or Bama will move the family which I suspect.
I liken to taking a young child Disney World for the first time. They walk in and see all the glitter and excitement. Visiting Bama you know they throw all their successful history at him and how he could be a part of it. 'Part' being the key word here. A player needs to take a deep breath, get a hold of himself, and think what is best for his future. And not let the glitter of the program cause him to not do what is best for him. Granted, maybe in time he goes there and does well. But to me it is taking a chance on his future more than he would coming here.

I’m sure you don’t think our NIL is even close to Bama, Auburn, tenn etc. YOU know better than that Hack.

We are supposed to have completed a 22 million dollar fundraising effort for NIL exclusively for football, from “small”
donors, at $15K per year for three years, and apparently the Crafts have kicked in a 7 figure sum or sums since 2021.

I really don’t know the status of our NIL in comparison to those other programs. You and I can speculate and guestimate, but I don’t “know” something involving numbers until I actually see the numbers.

I liken to taking a young child Disney World for the first time. They walk in and see all the glitter and excitement. Visiting Bama you know they throw all their successful history at him and how he could be a part of it. 'Part' being the key word here. A player needs to take a deep breath, get a hold of himself, and think what is best for his future. And not let the glitter of the program cause him to not do what is best for him. Granted, maybe in time he goes there and does well. But to me it is taking a chance on his future more than he would coming here.
This is an exceptionally talented player, not real experienced, but at another level for what we see. If UK ever hopes to take another step up the SEC ladder this is the type of player needed. Hopefully things calm down and he remembers why he had initially rated UK high on his list. I suspect this to go all the way to Dec signing day. This guy has super talent.

[QUOTE="The-Hack, post: 13072948, member: 83119"

You and I can speculate and guestimate
[/QUOTE]
Going by what I am told by someone who recruits a lot. I have to believe them.

Tuscaloosa isn't that far a drive from their home, idk?

What motivates recruits is always a mystery. Playing soon? Good development to NFL draft? Immediate NIL? Winning conf and natl title? Close to home/family?

We are supposed to have completed a 22 million dollar fundraising effort for NIL exclusively for football, from “small”
donors, at $15K per year for three years, and apparently the Crafts have kicked in a 7 figure sum or sums since 2021.

I really don’t know the status of our NIL in comparison to those other programs. You and I can speculate and guestimate, but I don’t “know” something involving numbers until I actually see the numbers.
Our NIL is at the bottom of the SEC but it’s getting better. The fans can help by joining Kentucky 15 and making a small donation .

NIL has changed nothing, we are actually recruiting as good as ever during the NIL era. We have been losing instate recruits to Alabama for a while now, basically if they want them they get them. As long as the new guy down there can keep it rolling thats probably not going to change, if I had an opportunity to play for them I would do it too.

Reactions: UKat1
Whenever an SEC caliber instate prospect expresses interest in going to school out of state, there is usually an outcry, as if the kid has a moral obligation to make a decision that pleases instate fans. We should recognize that many Kentuckians have had successful football careers at AL. For example, Kentuckians Brandon Deaderick, Shaun Alexander, Damien Harris, and Jedrick Wills played for AL and built NFL careers. Harris in particular was villified by some UK fans and accused of everything from conspiracy and lying to outright betrayal.

Why do some people sink to these levels? These kids are making a personal decision. Their decisions are not intended to please instate football fans. It's about their future.

FWIW, there are currently at least 8 scholarship players on UK's football roster who turned down offers from AL, plus one other player who transferred to UK from AL (despite being in AL's playing rotation as a safety). This happens everywhere.

I would hope Javeon Campbell plays football at UK. But if he chooses AL, he won't be the first Kentuckian to do it. Or the second. Or the third. And UK coaches will continue to recruit AL targets too.

Last edited:
What guys have we gotten to visit this year that we normally wouldn’t?
4 stars from Texas weren't visiting, much less committing. Although is that from NIL or Shorts relationship building. Prob both.

Reality of CFB, if one of the top 5 programs comes in state and early on makes a Ky kid a priority he most likely will leave. But on the plus side we regularly hold off the other top 20 schools.

4 stars from Texas weren't visiting, much less committing. Although is that from NIL or Shorts relationship building. Prob both.

Reality of CFB, if one of the top 5 programs comes in state and early on makes a Ky kid a priority he most likely will leave. But on the plus side we regularly hold off the other top 20 schools.
Those were 100% shorts guys that we had long relationships with. We have gotten those same types of prospects on campus and even signed a few in the past. Barion Brown being the highlight of that. If it wasn’t for shorts they would not be recruiting TX

Reactions: C.W.S.pipesealer
He actually did commit to us first then changed his mind to Nebraska before coming back.
I may be wrong but didn’t he flip twice. Committed to Neb flipped to Uk which some said was to make sure he got Mr Football, I doubt that was true. Then flipped back right b4 signing

If Campbell has the confidence to play for Bama then he deserves the shot. Thats how it works here for basketball.
Would love to add him though to the haul on the D side from last class

Reactions: The-Hack and EdgeHD
All of that's very true but the coach/staff that built Alabama's success is no longer there. Washington, under the current Alabama coach, had a great year in '23 but if you dig deeper into their year you'll find that their D was very ordinary. Matter of fact, their D could've cost them a NC in their loss to Michigan. Point is, despite the Alabama name, Campbell would likely get as good or better positional coaching here.

I may be wrong but didn’t he flip twice. Committed to Neb flipped to Uk which some said was to make sure he got Mr Football, I doubt that was true. Then flipped back right b4 signing
No he originally committed to UK and then flipped after the Mr. Football award was announced. I never attributed it to him trying to get the award, just that Frost kept working on him and convinced him to flip.

All of that's very true but the coach/staff that built Alabama's success is no longer there. Washington, under the current Alabama coach, had a great year in '23 but if you dig deeper into their year you'll find that their D was very ordinary. Matter of fact, their D could've cost them a NC in their loss to Michigan. Point is, despite the Alabama name, Campbell would likely get as good or better positional coaching here.
Yeah, something I didn't really think of with DeBoer. Cannot see losing the best college football coach there was and being as stable as they have been for the last several years. Our D has been ranked one of the very best the last few years and obviously coaching is a huge part of that. And on top of that have done it with a ton less highly rated recruits than AL has had. Definitely shows the 'coaching up' ability Brad White and his staff have.

Reactions: mrschwump
What guys have we gotten to visit this year that we normally wouldn’t?

There is no question in my mind that we receive OVs from prospect who might not have visited under our prior coaches and would not even have visited Stoops 8-10 years ago. To what to attribute this? In my mind, it is not a simple question. Part of it is that Barnhart and Stoops have renovated all of Kentucky's football facilities. Part of it is that Stoops has built a coaching staff that is more effective at recruiting than our prior staffs. Part of it is that Stoops is putting his players in the NFL. Part of it is the 8 straight bowl games, which might not impress every young Kentucky fan but gets Kentucky football on TV and definitely shows prospects that our football program has positive momentum under Stoops.

What about NIL $$? There are many opinions, but none of them can be verified. Nonetheless, I have noticed that most everyone clings to their opinions and insists they are right. But our experience with NIL is only a couple of years. So, small sample in a historical perspective. There is no question in my mind that Coach Stoops is the most effective recruiter to occupy the HC position at Kentucky. As as isolated issue, are NIL $$ keeping some prospects from OVing Kentucky? Are NIL $$ preventing some prospects from committing to Kentucky? Clearly, there are posters who believe NIL $$ ultimately determines almost every one of these decisions. I definitely don't buy that. I know for a fact that some players decide based on how much they like the coaches, how comfortable they feel with their future teammates, and how impressed they are with the campus and the other opportunities. How many prefer these other considerations over a simple comarison of NIL $$? I do not know, and neither does anyone else. But I firmly believe many prospects pick a school for reasons other than a simple comparison of NIL $$.

But for those who are still convinced NIL $$ are dominating most of these school decisions, I would like to know how many have contributed to 15.

Last edited:
I think nil is paying more on the guys in the portal. No way Pops comes here without a good amount of cash. We was the top lb in portal.

I think nil is paying more on the guys in the portal. No way Pops comes here without a good amount of cash. We was the top lb in portal.

Thats just not the case with JDJ. What he is good at he is elite, but he got so big he really struggled in space, he was looking at losing quite a bit of his snap counts in Athens. He was looking for snap count not so much NIL. UK runs a similar defense to UGA and he could fit in with a smooth transition. Same with BV, AU offered a larger NIL package but not assurances he would be the QB. UK has had several transfer QBs recently and offered those assurances and a good NIL package, but considerably less than AU was offerening.

Reactions: UKat1
There is no question in my mind that we receive OVs from prospect who might not have visited under our prior coaches and would not even have visited Stoops 8-10 years ago. To what to attribute this? In my mind, it is not a simple question. Part of it is that Barnhart and Stoops have renovated all of Kentucky's football facilities. Part of it is that Stoops has built a coaching staff that is more effective at recruiting than our prior staffs. Part of it is that Stoops is putting his players in the NFL. Part of it is the 8 straight bowl games, which might not impress every young Kentucky fan but gets Kentucky football on TV and definitely shows prospects that our football program has positive momentum under Stoops.

What about NIL $$? There are many opinions, but none of them can be verified. Nonetheless, I have noticed that most everyone clings to their opinions and insists they are right. But our experience with NIL is only a couple of years. So, small sample in a historical perspective. There is no question in my mind that Coach Stoops is the most effective recruiter to occupy the HC position at Kentucky. As as isolated issue, are NIL $$ keeping some prospects from OVing Kentucky? Are NIL $$ preventing some prospects from committing to Kentucky? Clearly, there are posters who believe NIL $$ ultimately determines almost every one of these decisions. I definitely don't buy that. I know for a fact that some players decide based on how much they like the coaches, how comfortable they feel with their future teammates, and how impressed they are with the campus and the other opportunities. How many prefer these other considerations over a simple comarison of NIL $$? I do not know, and neither does anyone else. But I firmly believe many prospects pick a school for reasons other than a simple comparison of NIL $$.

But for those who are still convinced NIL $$ are dominating most of these school decisions, I would like to know how many have contributed to 15.
My reply was to the guy that we had been getting better recruits to visit since NIL started. Which I asked who. In ‘20-‘22 we had as good and a few higher ranked HS guys visit. I was not saying anything about NIL. Just who are we getting on campus this year that we hadn’t in the previous 5 years. We had 5 star recruits on campus in ‘20-‘22 all 3 years. We haven’t this year. Overall I don’t see that NIL has hampered recruiting. We had a good HS class last year and supplemented it well with the portal. Our class this year could be a little better than last year depending on how it plays out. Hard to tell how either will be for a few years. I only asked that because any of the guys that have visited this year we have had similar and some better visit the last 5 years

Reactions: SPECT imaging
My reply was to the guy that we had been getting better recruits to visit since NIL started. Which I asked who. In ‘20-‘22 we had as good and a few higher ranked HS guys visit. I was not saying anything about NIL. Just who are we getting on campus this year that we hadn’t in the previous 5 years. We had 5 star recruits on campus in ‘20-‘22 all 3 years. We haven’t this year. Overall I don’t see that NIL has hampered recruiting. We had a good HS class last year and supplemented it well with the portal. Our class this year could be a little better than last year depending on how it plays out. Hard to tell how either will be for a few years. I only asked that because any of the guys that have visited this year we have had similar and some better visit the last 5 years

I don't see anything hampering our recruiting.

Yeah, something I didn't really think of with DeBoer. Cannot see losing the best college football coach there was and being as stable as they have been for the last several years. Our D has been ranked one of the very best the last few years and obviously coaching is a huge part of that. And on top of that have done it with a ton less highly rated recruits than AL has had. Definitely shows the 'coaching up' ability Brad White and his staff have.
Yet when our highly rated defense played Bama, we got murdered.......we couldn't stop running water against them. UGA also blew our defense off the field as did UT. Our defense was a bit overrated.

Our defense was a bit overrated.

We were seriously undermanned in 2020 with Covid losses against Bama and Florida.

Yet, for all those points we surrendered that you point out, we finished 5th in the SEC for Total Defense and Scoring Defense.

Georgia has beaten us soundly, as they have nearly every team during Smart’s run, but we’ve been averaging a ranking of the Top 20 of TD and SD since 2018/19.

Last edited:
Reactions: Girthang
We were seriously undermanned in 2020 with Covid losses against Bama and Florida.

Yet, for all those points we surrendered that you point out, we finished 4th in the SEC for Total Defense and Scoring Defense.

Georgia has beaten us soundly, as they have nearly every team during Smart’s run, but we’ve been ranked in the Top 20 of TD and SD about every year.

UK has been a tough out every year under Kirby, even before CMS started signing better kids except the last one got a little out of hand.

Reactions: Girthang
I dont remember now. I dont think he publicly commited to the Huskers did he but was leaning that way because he fell in love with Frost and signed with UK under hometown pressure, so you point is still valid. Then right after holding his committment conference to us we started hearing that it may not be over and Frost was back in the picture. Who knows, I can remember where I parked my car coming out of Walmart half the time.

Reactions: Spica Orbit
We were told on Sunday that UK could get "4 or 5" more commits in the next "2-3 days." This is Day Three....where are they?
JR has went quiet. All he has said was yesterday we writing commitment articles for guys that hadn’t announced yet. Then today he said he was doing a mailbag tomorrow for questions and would do some digging into a couple things. The 1st sounded like he thinks it is still happening. Maybe they have committed to the coaches but just not announced it publicly.

JR has went quiet. All he has said was yesterday we writing commitment articles for guys that hadn’t announced yet. Then today he said he was doing a mailbag tomorrow for questions and would do some digging into a couple things. The 1st sounded like he thinks it is still happening. Maybe they have committed to the coaches but just not announced it publicly.
LOL, the infamous "silent verbal." 😉

As we have expected for a week, Cedric Works has committed to UK. Works is being recruited by Coach Marrow. He reportedly holds at least 4 SEC and 3 BIO offers. Works will need to add good weight and projects as a Jack LB in Coach White's 3-3-5.

UK's current 2025 class-

Preston Bowman, WR, Pickerington, OH
Martels Carter, DB, Paducah, KY
Marquise Davis, RB, Cleveland, OH
Ja'kayden Ferguson, WR, Missouri City, TX
Demarcus Gardner, DB, Cedartown, GA
Tucker Kattus, OL, Cincinnati, OH
Andrew Purcell, DB, Enrerprise, AL
Stone Saunders, QB, Harrisburg, PA
Quintin Simmons, slotR/WR, Cincinnati, OH
Nicholas Smith, DL, Monroe, GA
Darrin Strey, OL, Paw Paw, MI
Brennen Ward, QB, Columbus, OH
Cedric Works, LB, Clayton, OH

I now consider Isaac Sowells and Jermiel Atkins UK leans. Bryan Auguste may be a UK lean if we are still pushing for him. Jason Ekperuoh is UK's if they want to take him. Brody Lennon, Dawayne Galloway, Jaiden Braker, and Kalen Edwards are still uncommitted and UK is a finalist with a good chance in each case. IDK where we stand now with Andrew Marsh and Dejerrian Miller, but some online sources are predicting they will committ to MI and TN, respectively. Javeon Campbell has received a couple of crystal ball predictions for AL, so we will see.
Rembrandt...this you???

As we have expected for a week, Cedric Works has committed to UK. Works is being recruited by Coach Marrow. He reportedly holds at least 4 SEC and 3 BIO offers. Works will need to add good weight and projects as a Jack LB in Coach White's 3-3-5.

UK's current 2025 class-

Preston Bowman, WR, Pickerington, OH
Martels Carter, DB, Paducah, KY
Marquise Davis, RB, Cleveland, OH
Ja'kayden Ferguson, WR, Missouri City, TX
Demarcus Gardner, DB, Cedartown, GA
Tucker Kattus, OL, Cincinnati, OH
Andrew Purcell, DB, Enrerprise, AL
Stone Saunders, QB, Harrisburg, PA
Quintin Simmons, slotR/WR, Cincinnati, OH
Nicholas Smith, DL, Monroe, GA
Darrin Strey, OL, Paw Paw, MI
Brennen Ward, QB, Columbus, OH
Cedric Works, LB, Clayton, OH

I now consider Isaac Sowells and Jermiel Atkins UK leans. Bryan Auguste may be a UK lean if we are still pushing for him. Jason Ekperuoh is UK's if they want to take him. Brody Lennon, Dawayne Galloway, Jaiden Braker, and Kalen Edwards are still uncommitted and UK is a finalist with a good chance in each case. IDK where we stand now with Andrew Marsh and Dejerrian Miller, but some online sources are predicting they will committ to MI and TN, respectively. Javeon Campbell has received a couple of crystal ball predictions for AL, so we will see.
Rowland said as of this morning he was still confident in his pick for Campbell to UK. Galloway is gonna be a cat, but as expected Lennon chose OSU. A long time till Dec. a lot can change in almost 6 months

Reactions: mrschwump
Rowland said as of this morning he was still confident in his pick for Campbell to UK. Galloway is gonna be a cat, but as expected Lennon chose OSU. A long time till Dec. a lot can change in almost 6 months
To me Edwards is the biggest most significant. Then Campbell and Galloway. Anybody else on D would just be topping. Much easier to find good DT's and DE's than NG's. But those three are difference makers that we definitely need.

I do not want to give away anyone's personal business. Brian and I grew up together in Georgetown. He is my cousin on my mother's side. He had a procedure done today at St. Joes and is out of commission. His friend told him Works and Sowells will verbal to Kentucky this week. He showed me his last announcements that he posted and asked me to put it up if they did. He should not be concerned. But I cut and pasted what he told me. If that confused anyone, it was unintended I should have done it another way. I do not think you will hear from Brian for at least a couple of days.

Reactions: bluecoon1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT