ADVERTISEMENT

State of 2025 Recruiting

I ran track in high school, the late 70’s.

I saw a kid clear 7 feet at Danville HS, a tall lean kid who was 6 foot 7.

The damndest thing I ever saw, though, was a 5 foot 9 inch kid decide to give the high jump a whirl at a track meet where one of our high jumpers got sick. His Dad was a local pharmacist, so he was a pretty well-known kid, but no one considered him especially athletic. He rattled off jumps at 6 feet, having never practiced the sport before, finishing second in the meet.

Some kids just have a knack for a particular activity. This kid, to practice form, would set bar at 6 ft, turn away from bar and jump it flat footed, never took a step. He would do it in warm ups too, a little intimidating to fellow jumpers.

Thanks Rembrandt for all the work you do! Also BereaCat, I’ve lived in Berea all of my life you do a great job as well.
I graduated from MS and my boys did also. I have always lived in and around Berea. I currently have a Richmond address for the 1st time but I am half way between the two

Reactions: Rembrandt90
The month of June will produce several commitments to our 2025 class. July should produce a couple more. My current understanding of our OV schedule-

June 7

Javeon Campbell, DL, Frankfort, KY
Tucker Kattus, OL, Cincinnati, OH (UK commit)
Stone Saunders, QB, Harrisburg, PA (UK commit)
Isaac Sowells, OL, Louisville, KY
Darrin Strey, OL, Paw Paw, MI
Isaiah West, RB, Philadelphia, PA (UK decommit)

June 14

Bryan Auguste, OL, Pompano Beach, FL
Cam Clark, OL, Dexter, MI (WI commit)
Demarcus Gardner, DB, Cedartown, GA (UCF commit)
Marquise Davis, RB, Cleveland, OH (UK commit)
Brody Lennon, TE, Gates Mills, OH
Andrew Purcell, DB, Enterprise, AL
Cortez Thomas, DB, Lexington, MS
Brennen Ward, QB, Columbus, OH (UK commit)

June 17

Christian Gass, LB, Covington, GA

June 18

Andrew Marsh, WR, Fulshear, TX

June 21

Dejerrian Miller, WR, St Louis, MO
Dalen Penson, DB, Tyrone, GA
Nicholas Smith, DL, Walnut Grove, GA
Andrew Stargel, OL, Roswell, GA
Dillon Williams, DB, Demopolis, AL
Cedric Works, LB, Clayton, OH
Keon Young, DB, Lakeland, FL

Dalen Penson, Javeon Campbell, Bryan Auguste, and Dejerrian Miller may be among the most likely to commit to us in the next two months. JMO. But recruiting is among the least predictable of human behaviors. Nicholas Smith recently received his UK offer from Coach White and immediately scheduled his OV. Smith is an intriguing prospect because of his frame and athleticism.

Last edited:
Well, it appears you are correct. Interesting development. Came as a surprise. Wiltfong was just hired as On3's VP of Recruiting and Transfer Portal. He is now doing a syndicated online podcast.

It was surprising he went there, he was the one people looked to for forecast. But he probably waited until the last minute to make his prediction. Apparently they made him an offer he couldn't refuse. The actually have "flipped" several 247 writers, they got UGA's 247 main guy too.

The month of June will produce several commitments to our 2025 class. July should produce a couple more. My current understanding of our OV schedule-

June 7

June 14

Brennan Ward, QB, Columbus, OH (UK commit)

June 17

June 18

June 21

Dalen Penson, Javeon Campbell, Bryan Auguste, and Dejerrian Miller may be among the most likely to commit to us in the next two months. JMO. But recruiting is among the least predictable of human behaviors. Nicholas Smith recently received his UK offer from Coach White and immediately scheduled his OV. Smith is an intriguing prospect because of his frame and athleticism.
I get the feeling that with the arrival of Coach Wolford UK may have backed off Cincy OL prospect Raphael Greene. Haven't seen him mentioned in recent weeks. Greene is a massive young man, 6'6' 340, but he looks to my very untrained eye like a project who has a lot of bad weight. Looking at this visitor's list, and understanding it's not the totality of what we'll eventually see, just think UK is looking elsewhere.

Gardner plays for a program that was a power years ago but hit some tough times, but has really started to produce some good prospects in the last few years, Nick Chubb's old school. Roswell has produced some good players too, but lose some of their better kids to a couple of of other schools near by.

I get the feeling that with the arrival of Coach Wolford UK may have backed off Cincy OL prospect Raphael Greene. Haven't seen him mentioned in recent weeks. Greene is a massive young man, 6'6' 340, but he looks to my very untrained eye like a project who has a lot of bad weight. Looking at this visitor's list, and understanding it's not the totality of what we'll eventually see, just think UK is looking elsewhere.
Your impression is accurate. Rafael Greene and Tucker Kattus are friends. They attended junior day here together, and Coach Yenser was recruiting both of them.

Coach Wolford is not recruiting Greene. FWIW, UK's current coaches do not believe Greene is an SEC OT and they have other interior linemen like Kattus, Sowells, and Stargel ranked higher for Coach Hamdan's system.

As of now, I have to guess Martels Carter will be UK's next commitment. He is instate, he has a crystal pick for UK, and he has scheduled a public commitment later this month. Coach Marrow has prioritized his recruitment at a position (S) where he has a chance to play early at UK. So I expect Carter to pick UK on May 25. He would be the first defensive commitment in our 2025 class and a big recruiting win.

After that, it's going to depend on how the June campus visits go. But when I look at the list of players who have already scheduled UK OVs, these are the uncommitted guys who seem most connected to UK so far-

Bryan Auguste
Javeon Campbell
Martels Carter
Brody Lennon
Dejerrian Miller
Dalen Penson
Cedric Works
Would hope that we can get better lineman than Auguste.

June 7

June 14

Brennan Ward, QB, Columbus, OH (UK commit)

June 17

June 18

June 21

On3 has N’kye Wynn visiting. Him and Strey are so important for that OL.

Well, we only have five recruits. According to Rivals we are sixth in average star rating, we’ll never out recruit those ahead of us (UGA, Bama, AU, aTm, and Texas) so we’re looking pretty good on paper. Plenty of time to go and we’re in good shape for some big time players according to a couple of guys on this thread.

Well, we only have five recruits. According to Rivals we are sixth in average star rating, we’ll never out recruit those ahead of us (UGA, Bama, AU, aTm, and Texas) so we’re looking pretty good on paper. Plenty of time to go and we’re in good shape for some big time players according to a couple of guys on this thread.
They have a good chance on some quality players, not sure any are big time players. The list you had plus UF, SC, OK and for now OM are gonna have higher ranked classes. Somehow have to close that distance as much as they can stay ahead of the others. No reason they can’t be around 10.

They have a good chance on some quality players, not sure any are big time players. The list you had plus UF, SC, OK and for now OM are gonna have higher ranked classes. Somehow have to close that distance as much as they can stay ahead of the others. No reason they can’t be around 10.
We’ve pretty much been competitive with the mid-pack SEC teams by finishing towards the middle or slightly lower in the conference recruiting stats. That will possibly change with UTx and OU but as of now UF and aTm will finish ahead of us but no reason why we can’t beat either of those teams imo, even OM but they’re pouring a lot of money into NIL. Overall, we’ll probably finish 20-25 in the Rivals rankings which is about average and give or take that has given us a chance to compete with probably 75% of the schools. Up to coaching at that point IMO.

To eliminate the suspense, UK's '25 recruiting class will finish ranked 10-13 in conference and 28-34 nationally....as will their '26 class, '27 class and on and on as long as UK has low membership to the recruiting pay sites. Paid subscription rates are the name of the game. You'll do better if you take a list such as Rembrandt has provided, find film on these guys and judge for yourself.

To eliminate the suspense, UK's '25 recruiting class will finish ranked 10-13 in conference and 28-34 nationally....as will their '26 class, '27 class and on and on as long as UK has low membership to the recruiting pay sites. Paid subscription rates are the name of the game. You'll do better if you take a list such as Rembrandt has provided, find film on these guys and judge for yourself.
Sorry but the majority of the guys UK really get in on are already ranked. The higher ranked guys barely give UK a look. It has nothing to do with who pays more. UNC is not a top FB program but a few years ago they had 3 consecutive top 10 classes. The majority were Carolina kids. If you want to say we won’t have ranked classes because KY doesn’t produce top tier players I will agree. To say recruiting sites won’t rank a UK recruit high is crazy. The majority of top ranked kids are in GA, CA, FL, and TX. Those guys barely give UK a look. It has nothing to do with memberships.

Sorry but the majority of the guys UK really get in on are already ranked. The higher ranked guys barely give UK a look. It has nothing to do with who pays more. UNC is not a top FB program but a few years ago they had 3 consecutive top 10 classes. The majority were Carolina kids. If you want to say we won’t have ranked classes because KY doesn’t produce top tier players I will agree. To say recruiting sites won’t rank a UK recruit high is crazy. The majority of top ranked kids are in GA, CA, FL, and TX. Those guys barely give UK a look. It has nothing to do with memberships.
Greatly respect your opinions Bereacat420 and I agree on the attitude of top ranked guys from especially Deep South states but have to disagree on the impact of site memberships. "Experts" from those sites pander to members from the Bamas, GAs, Clemsons of the world in spades while shunning the UKs, Miss Sts, etc...it's about money in the pockets of the services. And that's OK, they're in to make a living. Average fans need to understand that, make up their own minds instead of being influenced by "experts" who probably were cut from their middle school team years ago.

Greatly respect your opinions Bereacat420 and I agree on the attitude of top ranked guys from especially Deep South states but have to disagree on the impact of site memberships. "Experts" from those sites pander to members from the Bamas, GAs, Clemsons of the world in spades while shunning the UKs, Miss Sts, etc...it's about money in the pockets of the services. And that's OK, they're in to make a living. Average fans need to understand that, make up their own minds instead of being influenced by "experts" who probably were cut from their middle school team years ago.
I know there is a player here and there that drops and fans say it is the UK drop. Yet almost none of these guys make great players. The ‘22 class was 15-16th. There was some really good players in that class and a lot of flops. Uk has not had another class that should have been above ‘20. Too me it is not that they are dropping UK players. Yes there are a few that may be a high 3 star that could be a four, but not enough to make a huge difference. Our classes are ranked right in the range they should be.

I know there is a player here and there that drops and fans say it is the UK drop. Yet almost none of these guys make great players. The ‘22 class was 15-16th. There was some really good players in that class and a lot of flops. Uk has not had another class that should have been above ‘20. Too me it is not that they are dropping UK players. Yes there are a few that may be a high 3 star that could be a four, but not enough to make a huge difference. Our classes are ranked right in the range they should be.
I can basically agree with that.

Until UK consistently outperforms its running average class rank, I don't buy this. That's not including that our fan base is smaller than those teams' base. When we average 80K+ attendance (I know, not currently possible nor has any likelihood of happening.) and make the 12 teams playoff more often than not with those rankings, then I'll agree.

Until UK consistently outperforms its running average class rank, I don't buy this. That's not including that our fan base is smaller than those teams' base. When we average 80K+ attendance (I know, not currently possible nor has any likelihood of happening.) and make the 12 teams playoff more often than not with those rankings, then I'll agree.
Just my opinion, nothing more nothing less.

Another recent offer.

Damola Ajidahun, OL, Duluth, GA

OT prospect being recruited by Coach Wolford, reportedly holding offers from at least seven SEC schools.
We have to start getting some offensive tackles and D lineman in this class.

Another visit scheduled-

June 21

Taren Hedrick, OL, Naples, FL

Hedrick is being recruited by Coach Wolford and reportedly holds at least eight SEC offers.

Last edited:

One thing I have learned is that coaches always recruit prospects who seem to be matched as well as possible to the school and the program, then the coaches do their best to develop a team while some players contribute and others just don't. As I have described in many discussions of online player ratings, performance cannot be predicted. To state the obvious, only eleven can play at a time. Maybe some don't make it simply because they can't get onto the field with 84 other players on the roster. Some cannot stay healthy. Some lack maturity and get homesick, since it is a transitional age in life. Some can't master the playbook. Some forget to study. All kinds of reasons some people succeed and others don't.

But the thing is, these things happen everywhere. Every program has recruiting hits and misses, and it doesn't correspond to star ratings. Kirby Smart and Lane Kiffin have had plenty of players who were expected to contribute but just didn't or couldn't. That's part of the reason why I say recruiting is among the least predictable of human behaviors.

Last edited:
I recounted this afternoon. Counting Crease, Waller, and Wimsatt, we have 81 scholarship players on our football roster for 2024, 17 of whom will be seniors.

Let's also assume this will be junior Deone Walker's final college season.

That means we have up to 4 more scholarships that Stoops could use on the transfer portal before September.

Stoops has already accepted 5 commitments to our 2025 recruiting class. If he takes no more transfers this year, and if no more current UK players leave, he could take another seventeen 2025 commitments. Of course, history tells us that there will be more roster attrition. And I assume Stoops will take at least one more transfer. So we will continue to keep an eye on the roster math.

Reactions: JASUN74
Another visit scheduled-

June 21

Taren Hedrick, OL, Naples, FL

Hedrick is being recruited by Coach Wolford and reportedly holds at least eight SEC offers.
Hedrick is a 6-5 305 high three star OT that we offered in February. Has visits scheduled for Ole Miss, Texas A&M and some others as you noted. To me looks like one of the better OT's that we have a shot at.

Footballscoop.com reporting a June signing period for college football will likely be adopted starting in 2025. The change also would make the entire month of July a dead period as well as moving the Dec signing date from the third Wed to the first Wed of Dec. That site expects the changes to pass. FWIW.

More new 2025 UK offers.

Darryll Desir, DL, Miami, FL
Mandrell Desir, DL, Miami, FL
Joshua Sims, DB, Nashville, TN
Laderian Williams, DL, Dougasville, GA

But isnt gap really just in the rank number and not as much in real talent from teams say 6 through 13? By rank number it looks like they are twice as far away from #6 but in real recruiting score or average star ranking its really little difference right?

Reactions: JASUN74
Yes, our high school classes will prob always be in the bottom 25% of the SEC. Poor number of elite recruits within 3 or 4 hrs of Lexington. We make up for it in the portal.

In 2024 we will have former blue chip recruiting prospects starting for us who signed with Georgia, Ohio, Michigan, Alabama, Tennessee.

But isnt gap really just in the rank number and not as much in real talent from teams say 6 through 13? By rank number it looks like they are twice as far away from #6 but in real recruiting score or average star ranking its really little difference right?
With OK and TX coming that # grew. UGA, UA, TX, A&M, UF, OK, LSU, and TN have all been way ahead in HS recruiting. As the other poster mentioned the portal has evened it some. Though OM hasn’t been much ahead in HS recruiting they have been killing the portal. It is a rough league. To finish 10th in recruiting isn’t horrible. It would prob be top 20 in the country. You are correct in that last group of AU, SC, Etc there isn’t a lot of difference in the talent they are bringing in

Reactions: Rembrandt90
You are on the right track there. Online class rankings are a mirage. Realistically, it is not possible even to begin to assess the effectiveness of a recruiting class until about 3 years after they sign. Every school's classes suffer attrition due to injuries and transfers. Every school's classes include overachievers and underachievers, but that can't be fully recognized until the players have been in the program at least a couple of years.

Yes, our high school classes will prob always be in the bottom 25% of the SEC. Poor number of elite recruits within 3 or 4 hrs of Lexington.

Cincinnati, Dayton, Columbus, St Louis, Indianapolis, and Nashville are within 4 hours' drive of Lexington. Atlanta isn't a lot farther. UK's coaching staff is more active now in all of these areas. Why will UK's classes always be in the bottom 25% of the SEC? Sure, the state of KY is small. So are TN and several other SEC states. That did not stop John Calipari from signing #1-ranked classes. It wasn't because fewer players are recruited in basketball. It was because Cal recruited nationally and put players in the NBA draft. Do you believe online player ratings reflect players' eventual performance in college football? Or in basketball, for that matter? I sure don't. I have seen too much direct evidence to the contrary. Within certain reasonable limits, I don't really care about online class rankings. I care about winning football games, a different discussion altogether.

We make up for it in the portal.

Every SEC program does. You and I agree Coach Stoops has been crafty with his use of the portal, but other SEC coaches have been too.

In 2024 we will have former blue chip recruiting prospects starting for us who signed with Georgia, Ohio, Michigan, Alabama, Tennessee.

Offhand, I can think of four 2024 UK starters from those schools, and Mincey didn't originally sign with TN. Some transfers have had an impact, others not so much. (Just like hs recruiting in that respect.) The vast majority of UK's two-deep chart is made up of players signed and developed by Stoops and his coaching staff. Stoops has also produced a number of All Americans such as Bunchy, Stenberg, Kinnard, Allen, Snell, Bowden, Brown, and soon to be Walker. All of these stars were signed and developed by our coaches, which helps our program's reputation for player development.

Stoops is still building out his program's recruiting footprint. There was a time when a third of every recruiting class was coming from OH. Now he is signing more players from MI, GA, TN, FL, AL, and the Carolinas. Stone Saunders is from PA. This year, I have noticed a sharp increase in the number of scholarship offers going to hs players in VA and TX. The takeaway is that we can't say yet what Stoops' recruiting ceiling will be. Everyone has their own narrative until our coaches break through the prior expectations. Positive seasons change the narrative. I am optimistic.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT