ADVERTISEMENT

State of 2024 Recruiting

Why are you so confident about Rodriguez ? I certainly hope you are right.
Because he does not look to me like a kid who will flip. Is it unusual for prospects to take other visits? Is it even unusual for committed prospects to take other visits? No, not at all. Once a prospect publicly commits, how often do subsequent visits change minds? Actually, it's infrequent. Rodriguez is a Kentuckian. He is being recruited by his future position coach, Vince Marrow. Rodriguez loves Coach Marrow. Coach Marrow commonly encourages prospects to take as many visits as they want. Have we seen similar cases in the past? Yes. Octavious Oxendine, Jordan Dingle, and Vito Tisdale are Kentuckians who visited TN but gravitated back to sign with UK in the Stoops era. While Stoops has been our coach, he has a much better record for recruiting football talent in the state of TN than TN has inside the state of KY. I never felt Rodriguez was a flip risk. And that doesn't mean I have zero concerns about others.

Another CB pick for Cam Dooley to UK. If those guys know something, then there will be at least one more addition to our class tomorrow.
Some may not know but Dooley's ranking has been bumped up. Now rated a 91 out of 100. Compare that to Jerod Smith is a 94 and his brother is a 92. Listed as a safety at 6-4, is also an outstanding basketball in class 5A. So this would be a very good get for us.

Do you still feel good about Rodriguez ?
I gave you my reasons for being confident Marrow will sign Rodriguez. You didn't buy them? If you read what I post, you already know I consider recruiting among the least predictable of human behaviors. I would never be shocked by any recruiting development. There are a couple of commits I have been concerned about, such as Nichols and Gilmore. Those are looking good at the moment. I have never been concerned about Rodriguez.

Last edited:
Some may not know but Dooley's ranking has been bumped up. Now rated a 91 out of 100. Compare that to Jerod Smith is a 94 and his brother is a 92. Listed as a safety at 6-4, is also an outstanding basketball in class 5A. So this would be a very good get for us.

I would rather have Groves than Dooley, but Dooley is a high level prospect and a multisport athlete (which Stoops loves). He would be a strong addition to our class. I have my doubts Dooley ends up as a S in Coach White's 3-3-5, but he might be a nickel. Thing is, we already have Marshall and Antwan Smith who also look like nickels. But some of these guys will probably fill out. Or, Marshall might make it as a CB. As has been said, Dooley has a fantastic frame and nice athleticism. Probably a higher upside player than Cowan. We should be happy about this.

Tenn made a strong push and made up a lot of ground. Read is on the only one that they see could potentially flip but still expecting him to sign with UK as of this morning

TN and AL have been notoriously effective with the last minute recruiting pitch. Female student guides, maybe NIL, maybe other reasons. And Marrow always encourages prospects to take as many visits as they think they need, because he wisely recognizes a kid who can be impulsively pulled away from a careful decision probably won't work out for 4 years anyway. Willie Rodriguez was as firm of a commitment as it gets. I could give a list of the evidence. But anything can happen in recruiting, and teenagers can always surprise you. I have never been worried about Rodriguez's commitment and I still expect him to gravitate right back to Coach Marrow. Right now I think we get all 20 plus Dooley. If there are surprises, we could pick up a flip or two in February. But I have been wrong many times before.

This afternoon, there has been some new online speculation from respectable sources that Rico Scott may flip from AL to UK tomorrow after all. As most already know, Scott is a hs teammate of UK 2025 commit Stone Saunders. Saunders has been tweeting as if he knows something about this. However, as I always like to caution, recruiting is among the least predictable of all human behaviors.

If UK's coaches have insight into a likely flip tomorrow by Scott, that would explain why they backed off all their uncommitted WR targets in recent weeks, and might also help to explain how quiet things have been this week.

We will find out tomorrow morning.

This afternoon, there has been some new online speculation from respectable sources that Rico Scott may flip from AL to UK tomorrow after all. As most already know, Scott is a hs teammate of UK 2025 commit Stone Saunders. Saunders has been tweeting as if he knows something about this. However, as I always like to caution, recruiting is among the least predictable of all human behaviors.

If UK's coaches have insight into a likely flip tomorrow by Scott, that would explain why they backed off all their uncommitted WR targets in recent weeks, and might also help to explain how quiet things have been this week.

Scott's announcement about signing tomorrow included "Roll Tide". Saunders may be just indicating his teammate will shock people while at Bama. Tea leaves are so hard to read....lol

TN and AL have been notoriously effective with the last minute recruiting pitch. Female student guides, maybe NIL, maybe other reasons. And Marrow always encourages prospects to take as many visits as they think they need, because he wisely recognizes a kid who can be impulsively pulled away from a careful decision probably won't work out for 4 years anyway. Willie Rodriguez was as firm of a commitment as it gets. I could give a list of the evidence. But anything can happen in recruiting, and teenagers can always surprise you. I have never been worried about Rodriguez's commitment and I still expect him to gravitate right back to Coach Marrow. Right now I think we get all 20 plus Dooley. If there are surprises, we could pick up a flip or two in February. But I have been wrong many times before.

The “Roll Tide” hashtag and the crimson “A” lead me to believe he’s going to sign with Bama….. but that would be a cool misdirection ploy if he flips.

No surprises so far today. Participants on this thread knew what was coming. This is a strong class.

As speculated here on this thread for some time, it was confirmed today by Coach Marrow that Brian Robinson now weighs 275# and is being signed as a DL. Our defensive staff's expectations for Robinson and the Smith twins are very high. Also singled out specifically by name with high expectations were Devin Smith, Terhyon Nichols, Quaysheed Scott, Cam Dooley, Marc Nave, Aba Selm, Hardley Gilmore, Willie Rodriguez, and Cutter Boley.

Latest 2024 roster count-

55 current scholarship Wildcats are expected back. This number includes D'Eryk Jackson, Zion Childress, Octavious Oxendine, Deuce Hogan, Marques Cox, Eli Cox, and Alex Raynor. It does not include JJ Weaver. If Weaver comes back for a COVID season, this number increases to 56. For now, though, let's say 55.

Today, 21 prospects have signed in UK's 2024 class.

So far, 7 inbound transfers have signed with UK in this portal cycle.

55 + 21 + 7 = 83

85 - 83 = 2

So, if these assumptions are correct, Coach Stoops has two open scholarships left to give. But if Weaver comes back, the number of open scholarships would decrease to one. But OTOH, the number will increase with each future outbound transfer who leaves our team.

Last edited:
He is working out in the gym, reading the playbook, and showing up at pre-bowl practices, although not directly participating in the Clemson prep.

Rembrandt,
Were there ever any "legs" to the Rico Scott rumors? How about anyone else they made a run at late and just missed?
Thanks.

No surprises so far today. Participants on this thread knew what was coming. This is a strong class.

As speculated here on this thread for some time, it was confirmed today by Coach Marrow that Brian Robinson now weighs 275# and is being signed as a DL. Our defensive staff's expectations for Robinson and the Smith twins are very high. Also singled out specifically by name with high expectations were Devin Smith, Terhyon Nichols, Quaysheed Scott, Cam Dooley, Marc Nave, Aba Selm, Hardley Gilmore, Willie Rodriguez, and Cutter Boley.

Latest 2024 roster count-

55 current scholarship Wildcats are expected back. This number includes D'Eryk Jackson, Zion Childress, Octavious Oxendine, Deuce Hogan, Marques Cox, Eli Cox, and Alex Raynor. It does not include JJ Weaver. If Weaver comes back for a COVID season, this number increases to 56. For now, though, let's say 55.

Today, 21 prospects have signed in UK's 2024 class.

So far, 7 inbound transfers have signed with UK in this portal cycle.

55 + 21 + 7 = 83

85 - 83 = 2

So, if these assumptions are correct, Coach Stoops has two open scholarships left to give. But if Weaver comes back, the number of open scholarships would decrease to one. But OTOH, the number will increase with each future outbound transfer who leaves our team.
I'm only counting 6 in bound transfers...Vandagriff, Maclin, Cottrell, Trayanum, Dumas-Johnson, Farmer.

Who am I missing?

Rembrandt,
Were there ever any "legs" to the Rico Scott rumors? How about anyone else they made a run at late and just missed?
Thanks.
Last night, his teammate Stone Saunders (2025 UK QB commit) tweeted that Scott was about to shock the world. Saunders took the tweet down a half-hour later. But some interpreted it as a tease that Scott intended to flip to UK. This morning, Scott signed with AL. Who knows what went on behind the scenes, but there have been rumors about a possible flip for months. It didn't happen but maybe he was on the fence. We may never know.

Don't forget Saunders is a '25 recruit. Scott could go to Bama then make his way to UK via the portal after the '24 season. I think it's a scenario worth watching.
Anything is possible. AL has been losing a lot of receivers through the portal, but none have transfered to UK. If he was going to be a Wildcat, this was the opportunity. Can't blame him for wanting to play for Saban and Rees. Fact is, in terms of tools and body type, Rico Scott is similar to Hardley Gilmore. I thought the relationship with Saunders might convince Scott to flip, but am not concerned about this.

You could tell yesterday that Stoops and Marrow are very happy with this class as is. Coen and Shorts are still talking with Chris Brazzell, the big Tulane receiver who recently entered the portal. But Stoops basically has a full roster after yesterday. He can probably squeeze in one more player this month if it's important, but our top roster need right now entering spring practice is OT or maybe an experienced CB.

Reactions: maroon79
Looks like Anaree Eilliams is now a '24 recruit. Not sure where UK is with him or if theyre still recruiting him. He OVed FSU and there was talk he might sign early

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT