ADVERTISEMENT

State of 2024 Recruiting

If Coen stays and I hope he does, do you think going forward he will have trouble recruiting kids ?

To my eyes, Coen has not yet established himself as a recruiter. He got a commitment from Stone Saunders but there is a family connection. He helped with Shamar Porter's recruitment but we don't know how that will turn out. He helped with Cutter Boley but Boley is local. He is a more effective recruiter than Scan was, but that doesn't tell us anything. Still a work in progress. If Coen jumps right back to the NFL, I would wonder if he dislikes recruiting at the college level. If he stays, he understands he will have to apply himself as a recruiter. Hanging onto Saunders probably depends on Coen staying, and keeping Saunders would be a win in itself.

They know he will always have one eye on the door

That depends on how this is handled. Any coach can leave at anytime. DeBoer just left UW. With the right coordinator hire, the next guy can always be an upgrade. If Coen stays, he will be in the same boat as any other popular coach in demand, and it will be his responsibility to deal with it and make it a positive. Winning usually helps.

again, I hope like heck he stays.

Me too. But UK has lost coordinators before and UK will lose coordinators again. There is no end to the challenges of managing any SEC football program.

Might as well lock the thread, 24 class is closed I'd be shocked if we got in on anyone to sign on traditional Feb signing day

To my eyes, Coen has not yet established himself as a recruiter. He got a commitment from Stone Saunders but there is a family connection. He helped with Shamar Porter's recruitment but we don't know how that will turn out. He helped with Cutter Boley but Boley is local. He is a more effective recruiter than Scan was, but that doesn't tell us anything. Still a work in progress. If Coen jumps right back to the NFL, I would wonder if he dislikes recruiting at the college level. If he stays, he understands he will have to apply himself as a recruiter. Hanging onto Saunders probably depends on Coen staying, and keeping Saunders would be a win in itself.

That depends on how this is handled. Any coach can leave at anytime. DeBoer just left UW. With the right coordinator hire, the next guy can always be an upgrade. If Coen stays, he will be in the same boat as any other popular coach in demand, and it will be his responsibility to deal with it and make it a positive. Winning usually helps.

Me too. But UK has lost coordinators before and UK will lose coordinators again. There is no end to the challenges of managing any SEC football program.
Coen did get Levis, Leary, and BV to commit. He has helpef with several others also. Not saying he is a great recruiter but he has done good so far

Might as well lock the thread, 24 class is closed I'd be shocked if we got in on anyone to sign on traditional Feb signing day
2024 class is not closed. We have the late signing period coming up in February. I am not predicting more hs players will be added this year, but Stoops usually adds 1-2 more in February. Another addition would not shock me, especially a WR or OT flip. With the coaching changes this time of year, flips happen.

If Coen bolts them Markey Mark better hit his bourbon distillery and hunker down. Shit will get bad, real quick when all the offensive guys bolt after spring.

Wish his lackadaisical happy ass would have bolted to A&M.

Something isn’t good in those football offices. The one common denominator in 5-OC’s in 5 years is Coach 3 high shell defense
And off tackle right and off tackle left.
Sure Coen came back because Stoops "heavy hands" the OC. Right.

Coen did get Levis, Leary, and BV to commit. He has helpef with several others also. Not saying he is a great recruiter but he has done good so far
I was explaining why I don't believe Coen has established himself as a recruiter yet. Not suggesting he hasn't helped with some transfers, including Wandale. But in terms of hs recruiting, he needs more time to show what he can accomplish. If he were to jump back to the NFL this soon, I might become a little suspicious that he isn't very fond of recruiting. Whereas if he stays, recruiting is a basic part of the job and he will need to double down.

Reactions: delk4three
JR said Coen has 2 major issues with the program. One is discipline. The other is having vomplete control of the offense. So yeah there is an issue there
This information is coming through a third party. It might be accurate. I like Rowland. But this chapter of the Coen saga is just unfolding and I would be highly suspicious that we aren't getting the full story yet. If this is the story, he might interview for another college job rather than the Chicago Bears.

JR said Coen has 2 major issues with the program. One is discipline. The other is having vomplete control of the offense. So yeah there is an issue there
So Coen has a problem with this and he came back for more when he clearly had other options? What is the logic in that?

BTW, what is the discipline issue? If you know, can you be more specific?

Do you think Coen has any hard feelings over Woodward?

I was about to mention the Woodward thing, anti-Stoops bunch has missed that one.

Discipline comment is ambiguous, what are the issues? Guys flunking drug tests/driving drunk? Guys skipping classes/practices? Guys running half-assed routes? Guys disregarding the game plan? Seems to be searching for something that's not there.

As for control of the offense, that should've been hashed out in contract negotiations.

Seems to me a Stoops/Coen Come to Jesus Meeting is due.

I cant say 100 but you could see the team wasnt disciplined. The penslties and stupid antics. JR said there was a difference of opinions across the board on discipline.
I was about to mention the Woodward thing, anti-Stoops bunch has missed that one.

Discipline comment is ambiguous, what are the issues? Guys flunking drug tests/driving drunk? Guys skipping classes/practices? Guys running half-assed routes? Guys disregarding the game plan? Seems to be searching for something that's not there.

As for control of the offense, that should've been hashed out in contract negotiations.

Seems to me a Stoops/Coen Come to Jesus Meeting is due.
There is a lot more to discipline than off the field issues. The wrs def need to get their act together. Dropped balls, fumbles, stupid penalties, etc can all be attributed to discipline. The team wasnt cohesive. There is definitely some issues that need fixed.

Meanwhile, there are 3 Bama 5.8-6.1 rated freshmen defensive players who just entered the portal, all 3 with multiple SEC offers out of HS including UK.
Kite is at Texas this weekend and most likely going to commit. UK is recruiting Ricks but UGA and LSU are after him also.

Edit I mixed Kite up with the WR Bond. He committed to UT today

There is a lot more to discipline than off the field issues. The wrs def need to get their act together. Dropped balls, fumbles, stupid penalties, etc can all be attributed to discipline. The team wasnt cohesive. There is definitely some issues that need fixed.

That's certainly true. These mistakes plagued our team. You, I, and others have discussed it here for months. But dropped balls, fumbles, holding penalties, and illegal procedure are blown assignments by the offense. Coen is the offensive coordinator. So it is his job to fix these problems. I can't comprehend why he would leave the program again because he didn't get everything fixed on the offense in one season. That just doesn't seem rational. There must be more.

There isn't a head coach in America who doesn't overrule or or make suggestions to his coordinators at times. Once a coordinator never needs guidance from the head coach anymore, he is ready to become a head coach himself. Coordinators know that, or should. On this board, a narrative is often put forth by the Stoops haters that Stoops "handcuffs" the offense. But they have no actual evidence. People believe what they want to believe. There is a difference between the head coach running the team versus the head coach "handcuffing" a coordinator. Does anyone think Kirby Smart never overrules his coordinators? Does anyone believe Stoops must somehow earn that right? Stoops is on public record saying he wants our offense to go faster, which was one reason Scan was fired. But the Stoops haters pay no attention to what Stoops has said on the record. If the offense doesn't play well, they default to "Stoops is handcuffing the offense" again.

Besides that, Coen returned to Lexington from LA. Why? Did Stoops' behavior change between 2021 and 2023? If so, how did that happen, when Stoops has acknowledged publicly for more than a year that the offense isn't going fast enough? Who forgot to teach the no-huddle to the offense?

I like Rowland. If Rowland says Coen is upset about discipline and control this early in the story, that doesn't necessarily convince me but I accept Rowland believes he has a good reason to raise it. He certainly isn't making something up. I want to see how this plays out and allow more time for the story to mature. But if these were the only issues, then why would Coen interview with the Chicago Bears rather than with another college program? All of this just doesn't sound right. How does it look to you?

I have read where there may be some interest in Coen from Ohio State.
Ryan Day is on a hot seat. They have lost three years in a row to their bitter rival Michigan who just won the National Championship. They just lost a Bowl Game to Missouri so to say the least the natives are restless.
Do you see Day giving 'COMPLETE' control of the O to any newcomer with his job on the line this year ? I don't

That's certainly true. These mistakes plagued our team. You, I, and others have discussed it here for months. But dropped balls, fumbles, holding penalties, and illegal procedure are blown assignments by the offense. Coen is the offensive coordinator. So it is his job to fix these problems. I can't comprehend why he would leave the program again because he didn't get everything fixed on the offense in one season. That just doesn't seem rational. There must be more.

There isn't a head coach in America who doesn't overrule or or make suggestions to his coordinators at times. Once a coordinator never needs guidance from the head coach anymore, he is ready to become a head coach himself. Coordinators know that, or should. On this board, a narrative is often put forth by the Stoops haters that Stoops "handcuffs" the offense. But they have no actual evidence. People believe what they want to believe. There is a difference between the head coach running the team versus the head coach "handcuffing" a coordinator. Does anyone think Kirby Smart never overrules his coordinators? Does anyone believe Stoops must somehow earn that right? Stoops is on public record saying he wants our offense to go faster, which was one reason Scan was fired. But the Stoops haters pay no attention to what Stoops has said on the record. If the offense doesn't play well, they default to "Stoops is handcuffing the offense" again.

Besides that, Coen returned to Lexington from LA. Why? Did Stoops' behavior change between 2021 and 2023? If so, how did that happen, when Stoops has acknowledged publicly for more than a year that the offense isn't going fast enough? Who forgot to teach the no-huddle to the offense?

I like Rowland. If Rowland says Coen is upset about discipline and control this early in the story, that doesn't necessarily convince me but I accept Rowland believes he has a good reason to raise it. He certainly isn't making something up. I want to see how this plays out and allow more time for the story to mature. But if these were the only issues, then why would Coen interview with the Chicago Bears rather than with another college program? All of this just doesn't sound right. How does it look to you?
I Think eventually he wants to be back in the NFL. With that as the goal you dont turn away interviews like this. Idk who the candidates are foe the Bears job but I dont see him going there this year. You never know

I cant say 100 but you could see the team wasnt disciplined. The penslties and stupid antics. JR said there was a difference of opinions across the board on discipline.

Like Stoops giving Burton a long leash for bad playing and stupid penalties that he should have been benched for.

Reactions: K86
Unfortunately, it now appears that Liam Coen may accept an interview at OH St, where Brian Hartline has been demoted. If this is true, at least a portion of my reasoning in wondering about the earlier Chicago Bears report may have been addressed. If I was Coen, I would not see the rationale in moving to Chicago to take a job with a struggling NFC North franchise. But if Coen is offered the OH St OC job, then I get it. Whatever the nature of the current relationship is between Coen and UK, it certainly isn't the same as Brad White's or Vince Marrow's relationship with UK. We have to prepare for Coen's departure. It doesn't necessarily mean things will get worse, but Mark Stoops needs to have a plan for improvement that will hold up, and he better be prepared to implement it in time to minimize implications for our roster and recruiting class. I don't doubt that Stoops can make a better hire if things go well, but then there is the recent memory of Scan. So, my compliments to Rowland.

I have read where there may be some interest in Coen from Ohio State.
Ryan Day is on a hot seat. They have lost three years in a row to their bitter rival Michigan who just won the National Championship. They just lost a Bowl Game to Missouri so to say the least the natives are restless.
Do you see Day giving 'COMPLETE' control of the O to any newcomer with his job on the line this year ? I don't
No head coach gives "complete control" to any coordinator. That would be an abrogation of responsibility, and coordinators know that. But if Coen wants out of Lexington, OH St would be a smarter choice than the Chicago Bears. Knowing what we know now, the problems between Coen and the rest of our top level staff go beyond what has been reported so far although they may include elements of those issues.

Reactions: K86
I would take B Hartline as the OC at UK if LC leaves

He’s a great recruiter and play caller

As we discussed previously, UK signs another player or two every year at the February signing date. Now comes news that LB Quintavion Norman from Newton hs in Covington, GA, will sign with UK this month. This may be a case of a guy who just recently became academically projectable for admission after the first semester since he was recently committed to Butler CC, but IDK. It happens. Norman's offer sheet is light, but his body type is nearly ideal for a hs LB who will be developed as an ILB in college. He has long arms, is very fast, and was once timed at 4.4 in the 40. IDK how that 40 time was recorded though. He is ranked as the #127 prospect in GA this year. He was named honorable mention all state in GA's 4-AAAAAAA competition category. His half brother Tay Gowan is an NFL DB. Coach White is his primary recruiter and Coach Mike is the secondary. Could be a steal, but needs physical development.

I just don’t get this pickup.
Great frame, excellent speed. Could be developed as a LB or S, depending on how he fills out. Competed at the 4-AAAAAAA level of competition in GA, where he is a ranked prospect. Has an older brother playing in the NFL. The only reason he didn't have more offers was that he only became what used to be called an "academic predictor" in January. What's not to get?

This. We have no idea what position the staff has in mind. The staff has vision we just don’t have.

True. However, multiple sources have said Norman is being recruited as an ILB, probably a Will, but could also play safety because of his speed and length if his frame does not fill out as anticipated. As with every player Stoops signs, he will get to campus and practice, and then the coaches will decide what they want to do.

The main point to make right now about Norman is that this is a quality signing. Norman has a lot of speed and upside, even though most of our fans may never have heard of him before the last couple of days.

Reactions: JASUN74
Looking at his film he looks as if he could grow into a future LB. However, Lonnie Johnson was a big guy too, was exclusively a S.

Lonnie was a CB at UK and in the NFL. But the point certainly is valid. Norman needs to fill out. From his remarks on committing, I gather our coaches discussed this with him.

Interesting to note the order in which ESPN ranks our 2024 signees, starting at the top of their ranking order-

Brian Robinson
Jacob Smith
Jerod Smith
Terhyon Nichols
Jason Patterson
Cam Dooley
Cutter Boley
Hardley Gilmore
Caleb Redd
Tovani Mizell
Marc Nave
Jiquavious Marshall
Steven Soles
Devin Smith
Antwan Smith
Hayes Johnson
Quaysheed Scott
Aba Selm
David Washington
Willie Rodriguez
Jacob Kauwe
Quintavion Norman

Norman was not actually given a low rating. They gave him "no rating" because they had not evaluated him. Not a surprise.

IMO, rating Brian Robinson at the top of our class is a no-brainer. Not every online service agrees with that. But most observers understand Robinson is the cream of the crop in terms of impact and upside. What is interesting about this list is their relatively high rankings for Patterson, Redd, and Marshall. (They rated Marshall above Devin Smith, Quaysheed Scott, and Aba Selm.) Everyone has their own favorite websites and evaluators. But the bottom line here is that player ratings across various evaluators and websites show a high degree of variance because there is not a science to it, and standards and expertise for evaluations vary. In other words, online player ratings should not be taken literally. They are a loose, imperfect indicator.

During this review, I learned that David Washington has run electronically timed sub-4.4 in the 40 yard dash. For those still wondering why Stoops took him, there you go.

Reactions: THE_OAK and JASUN74
I think Norman has only being playing football for a year or so. That may be why no rating. he was told about the Josh Allen story and how he turned into a star. Maybe lightning strikes twice. Athleticism definitely will not be a problem. You can't teach speed and athleticism, just teach him technique and discipline. Consider me intrigued by his potential later down the line.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT