ADVERTISEMENT

State of 2024 Recruiting

Scott would be aware. From what I’m hearing they are telling the receivers it will be Daikeil Scott . tifwiw. Also heard there was going to be a mutual parting of ways with a committed Olineman .
Re OL....have heard one commit has had poor conditioning and would have to be torn down and rebuilt in order to help. Wonder if it's the same guy?

Scott would be aware. From what I’m hearing they are telling the receivers it will be Daikeil Scott . tifwiw. Also heard there was going to be a mutual parting of ways with a committed Olineman .
They also are wanting the wr from Houston to come with shorts

Bama just got their 5* WR Ryan Williams to reclass from 2025 to 2024. They now have 4 WRs in their class with Rico Scott being the lowest rated. Don’t know if this will affect his thinking this year but , could be a portal guy later.
Williams reclassed but isnt signing till Feb. His recruitment may not be over

Reactions: Rembrandt90
Idk if that is true. The reports I read was he was a gym rat and hard worker. Technique wise you could be right
Turns out the likely decommit and the player I referred to are not the same. But, who knows...hear all sorts of things and none could be true. Better suited to take it all with a grain of salt.

FOr those wondering about surprises. It appears there is goimg to be a decommityment soon. It will be more making room for others. Number crunching. Last week I read Cam Dooley was leaning towards GT and staying close to home. He cancelled his visit for thus week amd I think dropped them. Not 100 percent sure but last week he was supposedly down to UK and GT.
I have also seen a report earlier that there will be one more decommitment from our 2024 class.

Lorenzo Cowan visited SoCal over the weekend so they could be talking about him. Would not be surprised.

Quaysheed Scott reaffirmed his commitment to UK and cancelled his OV to SCar. There was some earlier speculation that Terhyon Nichols could flip to OH St, but IDK how legitimate that is. Really don't want to lose Nichols. Have also been concerned at various times about Gilmore and Mizell but nothing recent there.

Also heard there was going to be a mutual parting of ways with a committed Olineman .

By process of elimination, I would have to guess this is about Lafontant. He committed back in June and has had the summer to get out of shape if it's him. We "can't afford" (for lack of a better phrase) to lose Selm or Nave. I think Hayes Johnson is a longer term project but still promising as a future RG because he is a road grater with a motor.

I have also seen a report earlier that there will be one more decommitment from our 2024 class.

Lorenzo Cowan visited SoCal over the weekend so they could be talking about him. Would not be surprised.

Quaysheed Scott reaffirmed his commitment to UK and cancelled his OV to SCar. There was some earlier speculation that Terhyon Nichols could flip to OH St, but IDK how legitimate that is. Really don't want to lose Nichols. Have also been concerned at various times about Gilmore and Mizell but nothing recent there.
It is an OG

It is an OG
Lafontant. Looks like it may be happening as we speak. He has already been removed from one prominent online list of UK's 2024 commits.

But we don't know yet what the fallout might be from Lorenzo Cowan's visit to LA to see Lincoln Riley over the weekend. Cowan is not one of the most celebrated members of our 2024 class, but I like his film and really want to see him develop in a UK uni. He is very athletic and has a nice frame.

Last edited:
Reactions: JASUN74
UK's 2024 reruiting class-

Cutter Boley, QB, Lexington, KY
Lorenzo Cowan, LB, Savannah, GA
Hardley Gilmore, WE, Pahokee, FL
Hayes Johnson, OL, Campbellsville, KY
Jacob Kauwe, K/P, Billings, MT
Jiquavious Marshall, DB, Macon, GA
Tovani Mizell, RB, Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Marc Nave, OL, Toledo, OH
Terhyon Nichols, DB, Cincinnati, OH
Jason Patterson, RB, Sneads, FL
Caleb Redd, LB, St. Louis, MO
Brian Robinson, DL, Westerville, OH
Willie Rodriguez, TE, Alexandria, KY
Quaysheed Scott, DB, Marion, GA
Aba Selm, OL, Independence, KY
Antwan Smith, DB, Atlanta, GA
Devin Smith, LB, Brunswick, GA
Jacob Smith, LB, Corbin, KY
Jerod Smith, DL, Corbin KY
Steven Soles, LB, Powell, TN
David Washington, slotR, Philadelphia, PA

Roster math. Elijah Reed is in the portal, but Zion Childress and Deuce Hogan are coming back. So 54 current Wildcats are expected to return in 2024, along with Vandagriff, Cottrell, and 21 new commits from the recruiting class.

54 + 21 + 2 = 77

85 - 77 = 8

Therefore, until someone else leaves or transfers in, there are now 8 open scholarships that could be used on new inbound transfers or new commitments to our 2024 class.

Obvious needs-

One more QB (Beau Allen?)

One more RB (Trayanum?)

Two more WRs

Two more offensive linemen

Another edge LB

Another CB

So the current numbers work. But I am sure there will be more outbound transfers.

Jadon Lafontant has now publicly flipped to BC. If BC signs him, then he is good enough to play for a Power 5 program so what I am about to say is not intended as a slight. I am not smart enough to say what kind of a career he will have. But out of the players in our class, if I had to pick one to lose, I suppose I would have let go of Lafontant first because IOL is not necessarily a position of greatest need. UK and Vandy were Lafontant's only SEC offers and IL was his only B10 offer. It would be very nice if he is our last decommit.

Jadon Lafontant has now publicly flipped to BC. If BC signs him, then he is good enough to play for a Power 5 program so what I am about to say is not intended as a slight. I am not smart enough to say what kind of a career he will have. But out of the players in our class, if I had to pick one to lose, I suppose I would have let go of Lafontant first because IOL is not necessarily a position of greatest need. UK and Vandy were Lafontant's only SEC offers and IL was his only B10 offer. It would be very nice if he is our last decommit.
As you know well you can't predict what an 18 year old will do. Like you said it would be nice to hold on to the rest of the class. You mentioned Cowan and USC is very inticing to an 18 year old. Hopefully having his brother here will intice him to stay with UK. A lot could happen in a month though

As you know well you can't predict what an 18 year old will do. Like you said it would be nice to hold on to the rest of the class. You mentioned Cowan and USC is very inticing to an 18 year old. Hopefully having his brother here will intice him to stay with UK. A lot could happen in a month though
No doubt, part of the reason UK's coaches recruited and received a commitment from Cowan was because Gadson is already here. I like Cowan's film and I hope he sticks. I don't know what LA looks like to an 18 year old from Savannah, but I am sure Lincoln Riley is persuasive. Let's hope Cowan stays firm for UK because we need athletes like Cowan in our LB room..

But you are raising the broader issue of decommits. Groves was a shock to me. I didn't see anyone discussing the possibility before it happened. I knew Groves had made several statements about being firm. Then he bolted. That one hurt. You were one of the first here to say UK and Lafontant were parting ways. To me, that's just another open scholarship. That one really didn't hurt, with all due respect to Lafontant. It's good to know Quaysheed Scott has reaffirmed his commitment. I will breathe a sigh of relief when Cowan, Terhyon Nichols, Hardley Gilmore, and Tovani Mizell sign.

The first signing date is Dec. 20, just 8 days away.

Reactions: yoshukai
No doubt, part of the reason UK's coaches recruited and received a commitment from Cowan was because Gadson is already here. I like Cowan's film and I hope he sticks. I don't know what LA looks like to an 18 year old from Savannah, but I am sure Lincoln Riley is persuasive. Let's hope Cowan stays firm for UK because we need athletes like Cowan in our LB room..

But you are raising the broader issue of decommits. Groves was a shock to me. I didn't see anyone discussing the possibility before it happened. I knew Groves had made several statements about being firm. Then he bolted. That one hurt. You were one of the first here to say UK and Lafontant were parting ways. To me, that's just another open scholarship. That one really didn't hurt, with all due respect to Lafontant. It's good to know Quaysheed Scott has reaffirmed his commitment. I will breathe a sigh of relief when Cowan, Terhyon Nichols, Hardley Gilmore, and Tovani Mizell sign.

The first signing date is Dec. 20, just 8 days away.
I think Groves was due to them recruiting his brothers

Reactions: mrschwump
Lorenzo Cowan is a loss. I liked his film and he is from a great football area. Lincoln Riley is getting an underrated player.

But I think Caleb Redd is another underrated player who should thrive in Coach White's 3-3-5. Ironically Redd also holds a SoCal offer. We can't afford to lose anymore LBs.

Last edited:
After reading about Cowan's flip, I was looking at the list of 2024 UK offers and thinking about who could still get added to our class. Late flips still seem like the biggest possibility, and that could be anyone. Late in our 2023 class, we picked up late flips Kendrick Gilbert (Purdue), Tavion Gadson (FL St), Jayvant Brown (MI St), Ardell Banks (Toledo), and Khamari Anderson (UC). These late flips often tend to be some of the better players in the class. Trevin Wallace flipped late from BC into our 2021 class. It happens, and might happen again this time. Right now, we have at least 6 more open scholarships, counting Cowan's flip and Maclin's commitment.

Cam Dooley still seems like a possibility for UK as well. There is competition from GA Tech, SCar, and Vandy for Dooley. I can't read his mind, but the Oct. 31 CB pick for UK suggests that someone thought Dooley was still interested in becoming a Wildcat. If so, here is why Dooley would be a fit for Coach Stoops. Stoops likes multisport athletes, and that describes Dooley. Stoops has pulled some underrated prospects out of AL who overachieved at UK (Bunchy, Stenberg, Saunders). Dooley is listed at 6'4" 200#. He is being recruited as a S, but many future LBs enter college programs around that same size. Taking Dooley would provide quality S depth in the class while also adding a good athlete who could easily fill out and become an edge LB. Given that UK just lost 2 edge LB flips from the class, this would make good sense to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: maroon79
Willie Rodriguez visiting Knoxville this weekend. Their late offer/plan C or D after a TE flipped and others told them no

Willie Rodriguez visiting Knoxville this weekend. Their late offer/plan C or D after a TE flipped and others told them no
I doubt Willie Rodriguez will flip. But Groves proved anyone can. We know none of them are final until they have signed. Even then, there is always the transfer portal. These are the times.

Looking more and more like Cam Dooley is a take for UK if this is what he decides to do. With 8 open scholarships, and more likely to open up, Stoops is unlikely to fill all of them out of the portal unless he takes transfers who would be projects. That really isn't the role of the portal. So I expect 1-2 more 2024 commits, and we could still get a surprise or two in February.

I doubt Willie Rodriguez will flip. But Groves proved anyone can. We know none of them are final until they have signed. Even then, there is always the transfer portal. These are the times.
Why are you so confident about Rodriguez ? I certainly hope you are right.

The ND TE transfer has little to no effect on Rodriguez’s recruitment by UT.. Though the ND transfer may fill an immediate need for UT, Rodriguez is being recruited for a more long term need., similarly to U.K.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT