ADVERTISEMENT

State of 2024 Recruiting

His Rivals’ profile indicates a one one-time verbal commitment to Maryland, but then his full career at Toledo, where he exploded in 2023 for 15 rushing TD’s with 1,400 yards.

Hence, he is a rare solid HS Four Star who ended up in the MAC.

I'd really like to have Boone. Without him, and even with the Ohio St guy, UK's going to be really young and inexperienced in the RB room.

Would like to know why we never saw Wilcox, and yes I know he was dinged early in camp, but that should've passed.

Reactions: JHannibalSmith
I'd really like to have Boone. Without him, and even with the Ohio St guy, UK's going to be really young and inexperienced in the RB room.

Would like to know why we never saw Wilcox, and yes I know he was dinged early in camp, but that should've passed.
Maybe he was behind the other running backs practice is where you earn playing time not just because he is the new kid on the block

The question now is whether Coach Stoops will add more hs players to our class at the late signing date in February. The Lexington area media has not reported any fresh news to indicate our coaches are still recruiting any 2024 hs players. But they probably are. Most 2024 prospects signed in December, but some didn't. In recent years, Stoops has always taken at least one in February. Last year it was Jamarion Wilcox and Kendrick Gilbert.

The question now is whether Coach Stoops will add more hs players to our class at the late signing date in February. The Lexington area media has not reported any fresh news to indicate our coaches are still recruiting any 2024 hs players. But they probably are. Most 2024 prospects signed in December, but some didn't. In recent years, Stoops has always taken at least one in February. Last year it was Jamarion Wilcox and Kendrick Gilbert.
I think the portal has changed even Stoops thinking. I think he is likely to fill spots with portal players if he can, even to the point of taking a flyer or two in he process.

Reactions: delk4three
I think the portal has changed even Stoops thinking. I think he is likely to fill spots with portal players if he can, even to the point of taking a flyer or two in he process.
Stoops obviously uses the portal judiciously and is good at it. The transfer portal and the recruiting class serve two different purposes. When you take a transfer, you usually get him for 1-2 seasons. Raymond Cottrell is an exception, possibly because Jumbo and his staff got whacked. Typically, you fill obvious voids on the roster by taking transfers. Vandagriff, Trayanum, Maclin, and Dumas-Johnson are typical examples. They will start immediately. Farmer will probably also start.

The recruiting class is the direct entrance into the talent development program. When you take a hs player for 4-5 years, you are taking athletic tools for the purpose of developing them into SEC skills. This is particularly important for the OL and secondary. Whereas transfers are typically taken because their developmental process is farther along and they are more or less ready to play major roles and contribute right away.

I haven't seen any recent news in the Lexington area media to suggest our coaches are still actively recruiting hs prospects for our 2024 class. On first blush, it appears our coaches already moved on to our 2025 class. But we always sign another hs prospect or two in February, and it won't surprise me at all if that happens again next month.

Reactions: footerball
Stoops obviously uses the portal judiciously and is good at it. The transfer portal and the recruiting class serve two different purposes. When you take a transfer, you usually get him for 1-2 seasons. Raymond Cottrell is an exception, possibly because Jumbo and his staff got whacked. Typically, you fill obvious voids on the roster by taking transfers. Vandagriff, Trayanum, Maclin, and Dumas-Johnson are typical examples. They will start immediately. Farmer will probably also start.

The recruiting class is the direct entrance into the talent development program. When you take a hs player for 4-5 years, you are taking athletic tools for the purpose of developing them into SEC skills. This is particularly important for the OL and secondary. Whereas transfers are typically taken because their developmental process is farther along and they are more or less ready to play major roles and contribute right away.

I haven't seen any recent news in the Lexington area media to suggest our coaches are still actively recruiting hs prospects for our 2024 class. On first blush, it appears our coaches already moved on to our 2025 class. But we always sign another hs prospect or two in February, and it won't surprise me at all if that happens again next month.
In this new age of the portal everyone gets high school players for 1 or2 years also. Player development is the exception rather than the rule

Reactions: delk4three
Every recruiting site ranks our portal haul top 10, top 15. We got a starting qb, starting rb, starting slot, Georgia's starting mike LB, IOL help from Florida.

Stumble? Hmm. Yeah I'd like some corner help desperately. Some O tackle depth would be good.

Time will tell if UL's approach of only building a roster via the portal is a viable strategy. Might already have put them in a death spiral. They had to go get 25 guys because 20 on the 2023 team left. How many of their new batch of mercenaries stick around after the UK game this Nov?

Every recruiting site ranks our portal haul top 10, top 15. We got a starting qb, starting rb, starting slot, Georgia's starting mike LB, IOL help from Florida.

Stumble? Hmm. Yeah I'd like some corner help desperately. Some O tackle depth would be good.

Time will tell if UL's approach of only building a roster via the portal is a viable strategy. Might already have put them in a death spiral. They had to go get 25 guys because 20 on the 2023 team left. How many of their new batch of mercenaries stick around after the UK game this Nov?
having to bring in 20+ transfers a year is not going to be a winning strategy
at some point you have to build a roster
you are not going to be playing sisters of the poor forever (even in the ACC)

And we know nothing about those as to whether our team is better in '24 than in '23 because of them. To me, they're just similar quality replacements vs. improvements over '23. Are we better with them than w/o? Likely, but that doesn't mean we'll be better vs. everyone else. We'll have an idea 3-4 games in, but I see no reason to think so.

With Saban retiring, could we expect Rico Scott to transfer in and join Stone Saunders at UK?
You beat me to the question.

Has anyone in the know heard if Scott was an early enrollee at Ala? Any word on him possibly opening his recruitment back open?

Reactions: 2blue4u
You beat me to the question.

Has anyone in the know heard if Scott was an early enrollee at Ala? Any word on him possibly opening his recruitment back open?
I've wondered about that too but DeBoer can point to one, maybe 2 NFL 1st Round WRs plus 1st Round QB. Question I have ....is Will Rogers following DeBoer to Bama?

Because Rogers wants to play for DeBoer but I agree...it's unlikely he beats out Milroe.
Bad thing for Rogers is I bet he’s already started classes at Wa. He can still leave after semester, but he’ll miss spring ball wherever he goes next.

Rembrandt 90, if Coen leaves do we lose any recruits ?
I concur that we would lose Stone Saunders. Saunders committed because of Coen, who played for Saunders' father. Whether we would lose others would depend on how Stoops and Marrow handled it, who Stoops hired to replace Coen, and how quickly it happened. We might not lose any 2024 prospects but I would be concerned about it. Let's hope it doesn't happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: ukalum1988
I reviewed the roster again this morning. With Mincey, Farrier, and Story on board, I count 87 scholarships. That does not count Jaquez Keyes or Beau Allen, both of whom are still supposed to be WOs IIRC. Of course, there will be departures in the spring. There always are.

Last edited:
If Coen bolts them Markey Mark better hit his bourbon distillery and hunker down. Shit will get bad, real quick when all the offensive guys bolt after spring.

Wish his lackadaisical happy ass would have bolted to A&M.

Something isn’t good in those football offices. The one common denominator in 5-OC’s in 5 years is Coach 3 high shell defense
And off tackle right and off tackle left.

Reactions: bigbluedon
All the quality portal transfers we have gotten the last 2 months (esp on offense l) disproves any assertion about something not good in the offices. Guys from Georgia, Bama, Florida, Knoxville, Ohio who could have gone to other P5 offers chose to play for "mArKeY mArK".

If Coen bolts them Markey Mark better hit his bourbon distillery and hunker down. Shit will get bad, real quick when all the offensive guys bolt after spring.

Wish his lackadaisical happy ass would have bolted to A&M.

Something isn’t good in those football offices. The one common denominator in 5-OC’s in 5 years is Coach 3 high shell defense
And off tackle right and off tackle left.
FWIW, this thread is about 2024 recruiting.

Stoops is obviously not lackadaisical. He is a vigorous recruiter and program manager.
Results may or may not be everything that all of us want in a given year, but the SEC is a highly competitive conference. Stoops has won four of his last five over FL, four of six against SCar, four of six against MO, and five straight against UL. Prior to Stoops, no one believed those things could happen. In 2023 he won in Starkville. Stoops beat PA St in a NY weekend bowl. It seems obvious he has had some problems with our OL lately. That must get addressed. Hopefully Mincey and Farmer will help with that.

Why would all of our of offensive players bolt after the spring? First of all, let's see if Coen leaves. But if he does leave, let's see who gets hired to replace him. No point in getting ahead of ourselves.

Thanks Frank the Messenger!

Stoops has lots of drama for a guy going 14-12 in the last two years. Being what, 2-7 in his last 9 SEC home games.

5 OC’s in 5 years isn’t a good look for Mark and will make it hard to get a guy who actually wants to call and run his offense. The triple option isn’t a thing anymore

Reactions: bigbluedon
Thanks Frank the Messenger!

Stoops has lots of drama for a guy going 14-12 in the last two years. Being what, 2-7 in his last 9 SEC home games.

5 OC’s in 5 years isn’t a good look for Mark and will make it hard to get a guy who actually wants to call and run his offense. The triple option isn’t a thing anymore

You are trying to destroy our recruiting thread. You won't. But you are succeeding in saying something about yourself.

FWIW, this thread is about 2024 recruiting.

Stoops is obviously not lackadaisical. He is a vigorous recruiter and program manager.
Results may or may not be everything that all of us want in a given year, but the SEC is a highly competitive conference. Stoops has won four of his last five over FL, four of six against SCar, four of six against MO, and five straight against UL. Prior to Stoops, no one believed those things could happen. In 2023 he won in Starkville. Stoops beat PA St in a NY weekend bowl. It seems obvious he has had some problems with our OL lately. That must get addressed. Hopefully Mincey and Farmer will help with that.

Why would all of our of offensive players bolt after the spring? First of all, let's see if Coen leaves. But if he does leave, let's see who gets hired to replace him. No point in getting ahead of ourselves.
If Coen stays and I hope he does, do you think going forward he will have trouble recruiting kids ?
They know he will always have one eye on the door and will probably not be here to coach a kid for his whole time here. Again, I hope like heck he stays.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT