ADVERTISEMENT

State of 2024 Recruiting

Would love to see M. Cox/J. Flax return but think both will have NFL opportunities. OO is just now recovering from his knee injury a couple of years ago. Those 3 would boost the roster, no question.

This is JMO, of course, but I would expect Flax to return. Because of the jump in his performance from 2022 to 2023, he could become a potential NFL draft candidate with another season of SEC football. I am not as optimistic about M. Cox because M. Cox can probably catch on with an NFL roster after this season. But the possibility that he could return is also interesting.

Last edited:
Reactions: JPFisher
This is JMO, of course, but I would expect Flax to return. Because of the jump in his performance from 2022 to 2023, he could become a potential NFL draft candidate with another season of SEC football. I am not as optimistic about Cox because Cox can probably catch on with an NFL roster after this season. But the possibility that he could return is also interesting.
Will be interesting to see how M.Cox/Flax hold up vs Bama's DL/LBs, especially vs LBs Turner/Braswell who are two dynamic defensive playmakers.

Reactions: maroon79
Will be interesting to see how M.Cox/Flax hold up vs Bama's DL/LBs, especially vs LBs Turner/Braswell who are two dynamic defensive playmakers.

Turner put a shot on Daniels that could have been called targeting and was borderline cheapskate. Would cost him alot of money in the NFL.

Reactions: mrschwump
Before anyone breaks out the firecrackers, I doubt Ray Davis will come back. He doesn't need to. But the possibility is interesting, especially if he and Coach Boulware have hit it off.
Speaking of Boulware, did you all see where he posted a positive vibe on X this week? It was nothing specific, but definitely appeared some good news was coming.

Patterson????

Speaking of Boulware, did you all see where he posted a positive vibe on X this week? It was nothing specific, but definitely appeared some good news was coming.

Patterson????
Thanks. I didn't see that. But there is a new CB pick for Patterson to UK on TOS. Back when Patterson committed to UC on 8/1, there were lots of online reports that UK's coaches would stay in touch with him and try to flip him. Evidently, that is taking place now.

Patterson plays football and basketball and runs track at Sneads hs. He is a sprinter and runs the 100m dash. He excels in all three sports. At 5'11" 200#, he has an ideal body type for a young RB. As we discussed earlier, he led the entire state of FL in rushing yardage (2,721 yards) in 2022 That's a whole lot of yards, and he averaged 13.2 ypc. So this guy is a vastly underrated prospect. If it comes about, he will be an excellent addition to our roster.

Last edited:
Patterson would make me feel much better about the RB position instead of a bunch of guys coming back from injury

Reactions: JPFisher
Earlier on this thread, we discussed Marcus Downs' 10/18 decommitment from GA Tech. Downs, a DT prospect from Greer, SC, is the #8 overall hs football prospect this year in the state of SC. Now comes fresh news that Downs is in Lexington and will visit the UK-AL game tomorrow. Downs currently holds at least seven SEC offers and is being recruited by Coach White.

Over the summer, several of us cautioned readers not to hastily judge UK's 2024 recruiting class yet because new names of targets always pop up during the fall. As examples, I listed a number of current Wildcats who visited UK and committed during the fall of their recruiting years, including Trevin Wallace, Kenneth Horsey, Barion Brown, Khamari Anderson, Jamarion Wilcox, Jayvant Brown, Kendrick Gilbert, and Tavion Gadson.

Our 2024 class is already excellent, and it's about to get better.

UK's current active 2024 recruiting board according to recent public reports-

QB- Cutter Boley (UK commit)

RB- Tovani Mizell (UK commit), Jason Patterson (UC commit)

TE- Willie Rodriguez (UK commit)

WR- Hardley Gilmore (UK commit), David Washington (UK commit), Yannick Smith (ECU commit), Donavon Hamilton, Dorian Williams

OL- Aba Selm (UK commit), Hayes Johnson (UK commit), Jadon Lafontant (UK commit), Marc Nave, Andrew Dennis

DL- Jerod Smith (UK commit), Brian Robinson (UK commit), Marcus Downs

LB- Elijah Groves (UK commit), Jacob Smith (UK commit), Lorenzo Cowan (UK commit), Caleb Redd (UK commit), Devin Smith (UK commit), Steven Soles (UK commit)

Nickel- Antwan Smith (UK commit), Jiquavious Marshall (UK commit)

DB- Terhyon Nichols (UK commit), Quaysheed Scott (UK commit), Cam Dooley, Tyshawn Sanders

K/P- Jacob Kauwe (UK commit)

TOS has published a list of visiting prospects for tomorrow's game. It includes players from 2024, 2025, 2026, and 2027. The 2024 prospects mentioned are-

Cutter Boley
Shaun Boykins
Marcus Downs
Jacob Kauwe
Marc Nave
James Patterson

Boykins is the biggest surprise on this list. He committed to UL on 4/26/2023. Most people know that Boykins is a former hs teammate of Octavious Oxendine, Jordan Lovett, and Lavell Wright. UK offered him a scholarship in July, 2022. But it is generally thought that offer may not be committable. It is also generally thought that UK's coaches want one more WR in this class. Kamron Mikell didn't visit on Oct. 28, so UK is down to uncommitted Donavon Hamilton, ECU commit Yannick Smith, and possibly Boykins. An appeal of signing Boykins could be that UK would never face him in an opponent's uniform, which may or may not actually be considered an issue. In any case, Boykins is OVing, so something has changed. Would UK take him? Would UK have him in for a November OV if they wouldn't? It sounds like something could happen.

As discussed earlier, we expect Patterson to flip from UC to UK soon. There is a new CB pick for Patterson to UK on TOS. Presumably his visit will go well. As we have discussed, he is a very underrated prospect.

Nave recently UVed UK, and this will be his OV. That sounds good. If he commits, he would become the highest-rated offensive lineman in UK's current class.

But the jewel here is Marcus Downs, who won't be easy to sign. Downs holds at least seven SEC offers and reminds one of Kendrick Gilbert or Tavion Gadson.

TOS has published a list of visiting prospects for tomorrow's game. It includes players from 2024, 2025, 2026, and 2027. The 2024 prospects mentioned are-

Cutter Boley
Shaun Boykins
Marcus Downs
Jacob Kauwe
Marc Nave
James Patterson

Boykins is the biggest surprise on this list. He committed to UL on 4/26/2023. Most people know that Boykins is a former hs teammate of Octavious Oxendine, Jordan Lovett, and Lavell Wright. UK offered him a scholarship in July, 2022. But it is generally thought that offer may not be committable. It is also generally thought that UK's coaches want one more WR in this class. Kamron Mikell didn't visit on Oct. 28, so UK is down to uncommitted Donavon Hamilton, ECU commit Yannick Smith, and possibly Boykins. An appeal of signing Boykins could be that UK would never face him in an opponent's uniform, which may or may not actually be considered an issue. In any case, Boykins is OVing, so something has changed. Would UK take him? Would UK have him in for a November OV if they wouldn't? It sounds like something could happen.

As discussed earlier, we expect Patterson to flip from UC to UK soon. There is a new CB pick for Patterson to UK on TOS. Presumably his visit will go well. As we have discussed, he is a very underrated prospect.

Nave recently UVed UK, and this will be his OV. That sounds good. If he commits, he would become the highest-rated offensive lineman in UK's current class.

But the jewel here is Marcus Downs, who won't be easy to sign. Downs holds at least seven SEC offers and reminds one of Kendrick Gilbert or Tavion Gadson.
I assure you that Marcus Downs does not truly have 7 SEC offers. His SEC “offers” were verbal offers during and directly after his junior year of high school when schools send out offers to tons of prospects. Not a single SEC program recruited him as senior and invited him to campus for an official visit. G-Tech is by far and away the biggest name program that truly offered the kid.

I assure you that Marcus Downs does not truly have 7 SEC offers. His SEC “offers” were verbal offers during and directly after his junior year of high school when schools send out offers to tons of prospects. Not a single SEC program recruited him as senior and invited him to campus for an official visit. G-Tech is by far and away the biggest name program that truly offered the kid.
Several online analysts disagree with you, which obviously doesn't mean all those offers are currently committable. The fact that all these SEC coaching staffs have been interested enough to recruit Downs at some point during this cycle is what makes his offer sheet interesting. Same is true for every other prospect. If the Smith twins suddenly changed their minds and tried to verbal to MI today, Harbaugh probably would not accept their commitments. That doesn't change the significance of the fact that Harbaugh tried very hard to secure their signatures at one point in this recruiting cycle. Every coaching staff has to account for a finite number of scholarships.

Now, I can assure you of something. Recruiting is not like elementary school math. During a recruiting cycle, coaches evaluate talent and then have athletes on campus for events such as junior day or UVs to spring practice. Many verbal offers get made during that portion of the recruiting cycle. It doesn't mean all those offers are ultimately committable, which depends on a number of divergent factors such as verbal commitments, visits by other prospects, injuries, academic progress, and so forth. In recruiting, the early bird often gets the worm, so to speak. But not always. A coaching staff may be very interested in a prospect, but then another prospect verbals at the same position. That doesn't change the fact that the staff was initially very interested in the first prospect, and that is why his offer sheet means something. At various times this year, at least seven SEC coaching staffs have been interested enough in Marcus Downs to try to secure his commitment. I trust Coach White's evaluation skills over yours. Being a habitually negatively oriented poster, you can't help but seek to minimize the significance of Downs visiting UK. But it is significant nonetheless, especially at this time of year. You may not have noticed that I compared Downs to Kendrick Gilbert and Tavion Gadson, both of whom are redshirting this year. Football players are developed, not ordained.

Last edited:
Marcus Downs, a high 3 star ranked as the 54th best DL in one service, at one time had GA, TN, NC and AU in his top five. Said to be both a run stopper and rusher. Listed anywhere from 6-5 260 to 6-6 285. His build looks good on film and he looks like he has pretty good quickness for his size.

Marcus Downs, a high 3 star ranked as the 54th best DL in one service, at one time had GA, TN, NC and AU in his top five. Said to be both a run stopper and rusher. Listed anywhere from 6-5 260 to 6-6 285. His build looks good on film and he looks like he has pretty good quickness for his size.
Downs is one of the top 10 overall prospects in the state of SC. He has a great frame and he is athletic. No reasonable person would suggest Downs isn't an interesting SEC DT prospect. Right now, we have Brian Robinson, an "edge" player who probably fits as a DE in the 3-3-5 unless he shrinks. We have Jerod Smith, who might be a DE or a DT depending on how he fills out. Downs is a true interior defensive lineman. If we sign him, that would make our 2024 class better. Our coaching staff saw talent in D'Eryk Jackson, Deone Walker, Khalil Saunders, and Keeshawn Silver. They know what they are doing.

Reactions: JC-3
IMO, even with that, still better to have the possibility hanging over players to keep it down.

I am not a proponent of concussions. Nobody wants concussions. Football is a man's sport and a contact sport. Concussions are a real problem for sure. But concussions happen in baseball, basketball, soccer, and rugby too. The technology of football helmets is being improved every year because of concussions and CTE.

The problem with the targeting rule is that enforcement of the rule has been arbitrary. All of us have seen replays where targeting as defined by the rule obviously occurred but was not called, and we also see replays where targeting as defined under the rule obviously did not happen but was called anyway. When targeting is called, that's a 15 yard penalty and the defense loses their player. Drives are extended and points often end up on the board that would not have been scored without the call. We have all seen it happen. When a ball carrier prepares for contact, he lowers his head because he is getting his pads down. Ball carriers are coached to get low and get underneath the tackler, especially when catching a pass in the middle of the field. If the tackler has already made an athletic move to hit the ball carrier low, he may make incidental contact with the ball carrier's helmet as the ball carrier is lowering his pads. This happens all the time because of the speed of the game. When targeting is called, the tackler gets thrown out of the game. If it happens in the 2nd half, the tackler misses the 1st half of his team's subsequent game as well. Most of these penalties are not being committed deliberately, and many that would qualify under the language of the rule are still not being called at all. Each official calls the penalty differently. It sometimes takes the game outcome out of the hands of the football teams. There is no targeting penalty in the NFL, but pro officials call unnecessary roughness for flagrant hits. For a lot of reasons, I would just like to see the game outcome taken out of the hands of the officials.

Last edited:
Sorry if I missed this in the thread, but did I see somewhere that Eli Cox might have another year?

As anticipated and discussed here earlier, RB Jason Patterson from Sneads, FL, has now flipped from UC to UK. In 2022, Patterson rushed for more yardage than any other hs player in the state of FL. He is a multisport athlete, excelling in football, basketball, and track. He competes in the 100m dash and has excellent speed.

Our 2024 class now has 22 public commitments. Cam Dooley, a S from Valley, AL, recently decommitted from MO and has received a recent CB pick for UK.

Now our 2024 class has 22 commitments. Evidently, these are the remaining 2024 prospects for us to watch now-

Cam Dooley, DB, Valley, AL
Marcus Downs, DL, Greer, SC
Donavon Hamilton, WR, Fishers, IN
Marc Nave, OL, Toledo, OH
Tyshawn Sanders, DB, Marion, SC (App St commit)
Yannick Smith, WR, Summerville, SC (ECU commit)

However, it still isn't too late for new names. This is the peak decommitment season, so more players can still get interested. They don't necessarily have to sign until February.

Last edited:
Reactions: The-Hack
Interesting that On3 and 247 has Groves as a 4 star. On3 has Selm as a 4 star. Only Rivals has Washington as a 4 star. As of now all of our commits are listed as Hard Commits. We are ranked around 23rd.

Wasn’t Trevin Wallace a signing day surprise three years, ago?
Trevin Wallace OVed and committed to UK very late in his recruiting cycle. He had previously been committed to BC, but decommitted. It is not uncommon for this to happen. Many current UK players OVed and committed to UK late in their recruiting cycles. Some other examples - Tavion Gadson, Jayvant Brown, Khamari Anderson, Ardell Banks, Jamarion Wilcox, Deone Walker, Alex Afari, Kenneth Horsey, Barion Brown. This is why we have encouraged everyone to disregard summer online class rankings, which are meaningless due to the fact that so many important players commit late. There is no point in even attempting to assess a class until after they sign. I don't even try to judge classes for three years.

Be nice but E. Cox needs to go back to OG, '23 has been a struggle for him at C. Hopefully Keenum can beat him out come Spring.
Ironically, the best performance ratings on our 2023 OL have come from Jeremy Flax, who was prematurely dismissed by so many of our fans prior to the season. The Horseman is another fine player, but only now rounding into shape after the earlier knee sprain. It's interesting to see which players develop most effectively. You never really know. It takes a lot of work and focus. I don't think Eli Cox has had a bad season, but he certainly isn't Drake Jackson. IMO, our entire OL is better than it was in 2022 but still not where it needs to be for SEC competition. I don't see how Zach Yenser makes it another year on the staff.

Interesting that On3 and 247 has Groves as a 4 star. On3 has Selm as a 4 star. Only Rivals has Washington as a 4 star. As of now all of our commits are listed as Hard Commits. We are ranked around 23rd.

All these variations from one site to another are just part of the reason why online player ratings are not credible. There is no standardization for online player evaluations, so you will find different ratings for each player on all the different websites. As I have said before, I pay a lot more attention to offer sheets. Offer sheets tell us which coaching staffs actually want to sign the player., i.e, which coaches are actually willing to put skin in the game, so to speak The only problem with offer sheets is that there are a couple of circumstances that can discourage Power 5 coaching staffs from offering talented players. One is when a player's academic status is in question. Another, though less common these days, is when a player is perceived as being firmly committed to one school early in the cycle

At this time, there is no compelling public reason to fear decommitments from UK's 2024 class. There have been rumors that Quaysheed Scott will attend the UK-SCar game on Saturday. He is committed to UK's class but also holds a SCar offer. So some fear a flip to SCar. But at this point, that is just speculation. There have also been reports that OH St's coaches are staying in touch with Terhyon Nichols. But coaches commonly stay in touch with players committed to other schools. Our coaches do too.

All these variations from one site to another are just part of the reason why online player ratings are not credible. There is no standardization for online player evaluations, so you will find different ratings for each player on all the different websites. As I have said before, I pay a lot more attention to offer sheets. Offer sheets tell us which coaching staffs actually want to sign the player., i.e, which coaches are actually willing to put skin in the game, so to speak The only problem with offer sheets is that there are a couple of circumstances that can discourage Power 5 coaching staffs from offering talented players. One is when a player's academic status is in question. Another, though less common these days, is when a player is perceived as being firmly committed to one school early in the cycle

At this time, there is no compelling public reason to fear decommitments from UK's 2024 class. There have been rumors that Quaysheed Scott will attend the UK-SCar game on Saturday. He is committed to UK's class but also holds a SCar offer. So some fear a flip to SCar. But at this point, that is just speculation. There have also been reports that OH St's coaches are staying in touch with Terhyon Nichols. But coaches commonly stay in touch with players committed to other schools. Our coaches do too.
Agree re player ratings but my question is what makes these "experts", experts? What are their qualifications and what criteria do they use to rate players? And how does a player get gigged one tenth of one point(0.1) that serves as the difference between a 3* and a 4*? Take the case of Sam Anaele, a DL from FL who decommitted from Miami as a 4* and committed to UK as a 3*. Then, when the final ratings came out, he dropped 104, ONE HUNDRED AND FOUR spots even though he had not played a game in 6 weeks! That's outrageous IMO. Anaele signed with UK but unfortunately battled injuries and was forced to give up football. Turns out he was a winner, got his degree in 3 years and recently went thru Senior Day at UK this past weekend.

I do appreciate these sites making names known but I'll stick to watching their film myself.

Reactions: catben
Good, late pick up. Hope another OL can be found.
I will make a guess Nave is our last 2024 OL commit. I am concluding this only because Andrew Dennis isn't going to visit UK, and because we aren't publicly recruiting any other 2024 offensive linemen. But there is still time to get involved with another late decommitment from another program. I have no present clue who that could be though.

Reactions: maroon79
I love adding Nave to the Big Blue Wall, we have to have the big ugly’s up front to make the engine go! Welcome
Even though there have been some rumors that OH St may have pulled Nave's offer, it is still significant that Coach Day offered him and accepted his verbal commitment. Nave is a serious OG prospect. He may never play OT, but he looks like a multiyear RG starter and an upgrade to me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT