ADVERTISEMENT

State of 2024 Recruiting

Does QB Wade consider a position change?

UK landed the twins by allowing Destin to compete at QB while other schools wanted him to transition to another position?

Giving up on QB position is tough pill to swallow, but one that may better fit his skills. Seems like UT and other schools recruited him as a safety.

Who starts at RB in '24?
Looks like it will have to be Wilcox or come from the portal.
Surprised at how quiet things have been this year regarding Wilcox, little to no buzz.
I really thought he would be RB2 this year and the fact that he's not considering who's in front of him has me concerned.

Who starts at RB in '24?
Surprised at how quiet things have been this year regarding Wilcox, little to no buzz.
I really thought he would be RB2 this year and the fact that he's not considering who's in front of him has me concerned.
I’m often wrong LOL but I believe I’ve read on this board and elsewhere that Ray Davis could come back for another year if he chose to(?). But I agree that it’s concerning that no one else on the roster is a clear cut heir apparent to step up and take over the RB1 position for next year.

I’m often wrong LOL but I believe I’ve read on this board and elsewhere that Ray Davis could come back for another year if he chose to(?). But I agree that it’s concerning that no one else on the roster is a clear cut heir apparent to step up and take over the RB1 position for next year.
I think you're right but it's seems like he would enter the draft with the year he's having.

Who starts at RB in '24?
Yeah, I'm curious re Wilcox too. I recall when he was signed he was said to be "an electric playmaker." SEC is full of "electric playmaker" RBs who played as true freshman. Judkins at Ole Miss for example. Makes me wonder if maybe Wilcox has/had some type of injury, maybe groin pull or hammy, that they wanted to give ample time to heal. No question in my mind UK will hit the portal hard for a RB regardless and given UK's success with RBs they likely will find a good one.

Reactions: SkyPrince1
Who starts at RB in '24?

It's always like that when there are 3 guys in front of a freshman. We had little buzz about CRod until the end of his FR year.

There was no way he would be with 4 good and experienced backs already on the roster. All of Davis, McClain, DemiSumo, and Jefferson would be hard to beat for a spot. It's not just about running the ball.

-Learning the offense
-Passing game/receiving
-Assignments away from the ball
-Blitz pickups
-Routes
-Technique
-Motions
-Weight room
-Conditioning

To get all of that down while at best sharing practice snaps with 4 other proven RBs? Not likely for a true FR.

THAT BEING SAID, we only have 3 games left, so hopefully we get to a point where he can see some snaps and see the speed of the game in the SEC firsthand before bowl practice and Spring Ball.

Naming someone on the current roster heir apparent during the season isn't the best way to market carries to great backs that may be available in the portal or decommiting from other schools. We don't know what will happen between now and Saturday much less between now and next fall.

We will need 3 solid backs for next season. It's smart of the staff to keep things close to the vest on this for recruiting and to keep current players hungry.

Agreed. Don't know if Davis has a Covid year but he'll be in the NFL next year IMO.

He can come back, but he's proven himself this year. He's doing all the things to get himself drafted, but I hope he wants to come back next season. Either way, he's earned my attention and support indefinitely

Reactions: JPFisher
We have been discussing the 2024 recruiting class here, and Cutter Boley is a valued commit.

However, the 2024 QB situation is a good discussion. Some seem to expect Leary back in 2024.

Stoops was very clear after the UT game that Devin Leary had no more eligibility left.

I don't. I have counted the seasons in his bio and I believe he is done after 2023. But I could be wrong. I think there is consensus that Boley won't be ready next September, even though he plans to enroll in January. Count me in the camp that does not believe Kaiya Sheron will be the starter, but IDK if he stays. Again, I could be wrong. So I am with you about taking another transfer. We have to. I don't like it, because it's a game of roulette. But I don't see a way around it.

No way to know since they never give the backups and real time running the actual offense in a game. I doubt the STAFF could know if they have a gamer or not, given they never turn anyone loose.

For anyone still wondering, I don't see evidence that Kamron Mikell made his scheduled OV to UK on Oct. 28. So I believe Mikell has dropped UK from his list. I suspect Mikell will commit to TN later this month.

He did put out a shortened list of 4. Does anyone know if we are still on that list?

Naming someone on the current roster heir apparent during the season isn't the best way to market carries to great backs that may be available in the portal or decommiting from other schools. We don't know what will happen between now and Saturday much less between now and next fall.

We will need 3 solid backs for next season. It's smart of the staff to keep things close to the vest on this for recruiting and to keep current players hungry.
Understood. I’m certainly not a proponent on naming next years RB1 when this season isn’t even over. I was just commenting in the context that it’s not clear who our RB2 is for this season. I guess it’s pretty much McClain and Jefferson(?). I vaguely recall Lavell Wright getting a few carries in garbage time early in the season, but I don’t if he’s hurt, in the doghouse etc(?).

Reactions: Girthang
Understood. I’m certainly not a proponent on naming next years RB1 when this season isn’t even over. I was just commenting in the context that it’s not clear who our RB2 is for this season. I guess it’s pretty much McClain and Jefferson(?). I vaguely recall Lavell Wright getting a few carries in garbage time early in the season, but I don’t if he’s hurt, in the doghouse etc(?).
Wright's hurt, Davis, McClain and Jefferson are srs. McClain/Jefferson are not every play SEC calibre players. Sumo does return, could get 10-12 touches.

I don't know if Jefferson is or not, nor how anyone could know that isn't at practice on the daily. I doubt anyone here knows. His injury set him back is all.

It's always like that when there are 3 guys in front of a freshman. We had little buzz about CRod until the end of his FR year.

There was no way he would be with 4 good and experienced backs already on the roster. All of Davis, McClain, DemiSumo, and Jefferson would be hard to beat for a spot. It's not just about running the ball.

-Learning the offense
-Passing game/receiving
-Assignments away from the ball
-Blitz pickups
-Routes
-Technique
-Motions
-Weight room
-Conditioning

To get all of that down while at best sharing practice snaps with 4 other proven RBs? Not likely for a true FR.

THAT BEING SAID, we only have 3 games left, so hopefully we get to a point where he can see some snaps and see the speed of the game in the SEC firsthand before bowl practice and Spring Ball.
CRod had a couple guys named Snell and Rose ahead of him as a frosh.
RB room is not that talented this year.
Wilcox was billed as a back who could be a "home run hitter" ala Boom.
I believe Boom played as a true frosh as did Smoke.
McClain and Jefferson offer nothing other than to give Ray a breather.
I'm sure they do the "little things" better than a true frosh but as far as carries go, it's pretty much a wasted snap everytime McClain's number is called. Same for Jefferson.
I was hoping Wilcox could provide a spark with his supposed elite speed.

I'm sure they do the "little things" better than a true frosh but as far as carries go, it's pretty much a wasted snap everytime McClain's number is called. Same for Jefferson.
Re Wilcox, me too and that's why I wonder if maybe he has an injury.

Definitely Wade. He hasn’t sniffed the field. Does his brother go with him is the question?

I think Sheron will wait to see what happens in spring.
if Wade want's to play P5 football he will play TE/LB if not he will go down a level.

And he didnt play as a true FR. Wilcox has Davis, DemiSumo, McClain, and Jefferson, plus Wright.

In your opinion, which is false, imo.

Boom was here well before we had a stacked RB position. Not remotely comparable to this year. Smoke played some, but not a lot that year, when the RB room was thinned due to injuries and other issues.

I'm sure they do the "little things" better than a true frosh

There are no "little things" and it seems you just want to be negative and argue. I'll leave you to it.

but as far as carries go, it's pretty much a wasted snap everytime McClain's number is called. Same for Jefferson.

You dont burn a RS for a spark here and there. Not the way our line is blocking.

And he didnt play as a true FR. Wilcox has Davis, DemiSumo, McClain, and Jefferson, plus Wright.

In your opinion, which is false, imo.

Boom was here well before we had a stacked RB position. Not remotely comparable to this year. Smoke played some, but not a lot that year, when the RB room was thinned due to injuries and other issues.

There are no "little things" and it seems you just want to be negative and argue. I'll leave you to it.

You dont burn a RS for a spark here and there. Not the way our line is blocking.
I'm just going to hope that the reason Wilcox hasn't played is because of injury.
Can't believe you think we have anything at the RB position behind Davis.
DSK is a good hybrid who's more dangerous as a receiver than as a runner.
McClain must see the field for his off the ball contributions because he brings absolutely nothing to the table as a runner and never really has in his career.
Jefferson was a portal gamble at best then he got hurt. Same for Wright.
100% fact Ray Davis bailed out this staff for absolutely abysmal recruiting of the RB position.

I'm just going to hope that the reason Wilcox hasn't played is because of injury.
Can't believe you think we have anything at the RB position behind Davis.
DSK is a good hybrid who's more dangerous as a receiver than as a runner.
McClain must see the field for his off the ball contributions because he brings absolutely nothing to the table as a runner and never really has in his career.
Jefferson was a portal gamble at best then he got hurt. Same for Wright.
100% fact Ray Davis bailed out this staff for absolutely abysmal recruiting of the RB position.
Agree re Wilcox. It's really none of my business but I wished we knew his story...just curious. Do feel there's an injury involved but guessing.

Wright wasn't a portal guy.

Hmm…….Cincinnati running back commit Jason Patterson…..rumblings
Yes indeed. It is looking like RB Jason Patterson from the FL panhandle and S Cam Dooley from Valley, AL, may commit to UK's 2024 class. Dooley recently decommitted from MO, and Patterson is in the process of decommitting from UC. Both players are receiving new CB picks to UK.

Current UK RB commit Tovani Mizell has missed most of this season in Ft. Lauderdale with an injury. I don't know the specific nature of the injury, and have no reason to believe it would keep Mizell from signing with UK. However, Patterson is a quality Power 5 prospect and UK can certainly use another good RB.

OTOH, it looks like MI St OL decommit Andrew Dennis may not end up at UK. Dennis will visit PA St this weekend and has also lined up visits to Clemson, Purdue, and IL over the next several weeks. This one doesn't look good for us

Since his visit to UK 3 weeks ago, I have seen no fresh news on OL Marc Nave out of Toledo. However, UK is still the only school Nave has visited since decommiting from OH St, and he has not publicly scheduled any other visits as of yet.

My gut guess is that Patterson will receive several carries as a true Freshman.

The opportunity is def there

It will depend upon how fast he can grasp the offense especially blocking schemes

Maybe I’m wrong?

It’s interesting that Nave has not made a decision and seemingly has nothing else line up? We shall see

Yes indeed. It is looking like RB Jason Patterson from the FL panhandle and S Cam Dooley from Valley, AL, may commit to UK's 2024 class. Dooley recently decommitted from MO, and Patterson is in the process of decommitting from UC. Both players are receiving new CB picks to UK.

Current UK RB commit Tovani Mizell has missed most of this season in Ft. Lauderdale with an injury. I don't know the specific nature of the injury, and have no reason to believe it would keep Mizell from signing with UK. However, Patterson is a quality Power 5 prospect and UK can certainly use another good RB.

OTOH, it looks like MI St OL decommit Andrew Dennis may not end up at UK. Dennis will visit PA St this weekend and has also lined up visits to Clemson, Purdue, and IL over the next several weeks. This one doesn't look good for us

Since his visit to UK 3 weeks ago, I have seen no fresh news on OL Marc Nave out of Toledo. However, UK is still the only school Nave has visited since decommiting from OH St, and he has not publicly scheduled any other visits as of yet.
TOS has an article posted today saying that Nave is visiting for the Alabama game, this weekend. It also says that it’s expected to be an OV & that Nave is bringing a HS teammate with him, although it didn’t name the teammate. With tomorrow being his 2nd visit to UK in 4 weeks, with no other known visits lined up, it would seem that we are in good shape with him. IMO, it’s also a good sign that he is bringing a teammate. Hopefully, this visit will seal the deal.

TOS has an article posted today saying that Nave is visiting for the Alabama game, this weekend. It also says that it’s expected to be an OV & that Nave is bringing a HS teammate with him, although it didn’t name the teammate. With tomorrow being his 2nd visit to UK in 4 weeks, with no other known visits lined up, it would seem that we are in good shape with him. IMO, it’s also a good sign that he is bringing a teammate. Hopefully, this visit will seal the deal.
When Nave UVed 3 weeks ago, he said he would return to Lexington later for his OV, and I saw some speculation about UK-AL at that time. So this is a good piece of news. If Nave were to commit to us, he would immediately be the highest ranked OL prospect in our class. Fingers crossed.

My gut guess is that Patterson will receive several carries as a true Freshman.

The opportunity is def there

It will depend upon how fast he can grasp the offense especially blocking schemes

Maybe I’m wrong?
It’s interesting that Nave has not made a decision and seemingly has nothing else line up? We shall see

Until and unless Nave visits another school, there is reasonable optimism.

With regard to the RBs-

Jamarion Wilcox will be back.

LaVell Wright sat out this season with an injury and should be back unless he transfers or gives up football.

Tovani Mizell has missed most of this season with an injury at Western hs in Ft. Lauderdale, but should be at UK next year. IDK how long he will need to recover, and I haven't even seen a description of his injury.

So Jason Patterson would be a helpful addition. As I have discussed here before, Patterson led the entire state on FL in rushing yardage last year, and is a track star in addition to football at Sneads hs.

Although Jutahn McClain will go through Senior Day festivities tomorrow, TOS recently reported he has a COVID year available if he wants to use it. According to that report, here are the UK seniors who still have a COVID year available to use if they wish-

Eli Cox
Marques Cox
Izayah Cummings
Ray Davis
Jeremy Flax
Luke Fulton
Jalen Geiger
D'Eryk Jackson
Jutahn McClain
Octavious Oxendine

It's an interesting list, and I would imagine most of them will be back. That's great news. Oxendine is listed as a senior on UK's roster but, evidently, will not participate in Senior Day cedlebrations. So apparently he has already decided he will come back. If M. Cox and J. Flax were to return for another season, that would temporarily settle some issues at OT for us.

Before anyone breaks out the firecrackers, I doubt Ray Davis will come back. He doesn't need to. But the possibility is interesting, especially if he and Coach Boulware have hit it off.

Last edited:
Reactions: K_TIME
Until and unless Nave visits another school, there is reasonable optimism.

With regard to the RBs-

Jamarion Wilcox will be back.

LaVell Wright sat out this season with an injury and should be back unless he transfers or gives up football.

Tovani Mizell has missed most of this season with an injury at Western hs in Ft. Lauderdale, but should be at UK next year. IDK how long he will need to recover, and I haven't even seen a description of his injury.

So Jason Patterson would be a helpful addition. As I have discussed here before, Patterson led the entire state on FL in rushing yardage last year, and is a track star in addition to football at Sneads hs.

Although Jutahn McClain will go through Senior Day festivities tomorrow, TOS recently reported he has a COVID year available if he wants to use it. According to that report, here are the UK seniors who still have a COVID year available to use if they wish-

Marques Cox
Izayah Cummings
Jeremy Flax
Luke Fulton
Jalen Geiger
Jutahn McClain
Octavious Oxendine

It's an interesting list, and I would imagine most of them will be back. That's great news. Oxendine is listed as a senior on UK's roster but, evidently, will not participate in Senior Day cedlebrations. So apparently he has already decided he will come back. If M. Cox and J. Flax were to return for another season, that would temporarily settle some issues at OT for us.
Would love to see M. Cox/J. Flax return but think both will have NFL opportunities. OO is just now recovering from his knee injury a couple of years ago. Those 3 would boost the roster, no question.

Reactions: Rembrandt90
When Nave UVed 3 weeks ago, he said he would return to Lexington later for his OV, and I saw some speculation about UK-AL at that time. So this is a good piece of news. If Nave were to commit to us, he would immediately be the highest ranked OL prospect in our class. Fingers crossed.
Think Nave is a true 'can't go wrong' prospect. So extremely important recruit to go with Selm that also has a high ceiling on the OL.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT