ADVERTISEMENT

State of 2024 Recruiting

Add edge to QB, DT, CB and OT.
Yes.

I have much respect for Centers, Guards, Safties, running backs, and linebackers and TE’s, but I have seen many at those positions turn themselves into good collegiate players at those positions, who had less than freakish talent.

Jacob Tamme earned millions in a lengthy career as a tight end in the NFL. He’s one of Boyle Counties favorite sons. I know most of his relatives. If you said to them Jacob was a “freak athlete,” they’d likely giggle just a tad.

Boyle Countians know football.

As to Jacks and those other positions . . . a whole lot of DNA seems to be necessary to even put a player in a spot to work hard enough to excel.

Yes.

I have much respect for Centers, Guards, Safties, running backs, and linebackers and TE’s, but I have seen many at those positions turn themselves into good collegiate players at those positions, who had less than freakish talent.

Jacob Tamme earned millions in a lengthy career as a tight end in the NFL. He’s one of Boyle Counties favorite sons. I know most of his relatives. If you said to them Jacob was a “freak athlete,” they’d likely giggle just a tad.

Saw him play in high school and was surprised that people were so high on him then. He was good but no where near prototypical, like maybe Eric Scott was out of HS. Then after Tamme and his people lobbied so hard for a UK OFFER, he waffled, and I thought I was in the twilight zone. Such a weird saga

When I and a friend were talking to Coach O one day before Tamme's last year @UK, he told us that Jacob would have a long career not just because of his TE skills but because of his skill as a holder on kicks. Said that would make it very hard for a team to cut him. Glad it all worked out for that scrawny kid I watched play in Boyle County. Great UK success story

It's a mistake to think it's always about individual recruits. It's also the class that they are recruiting to, and you take the best available players that commit to working hard when they get here. There's no way to guarantee what they do when they get here, and no telling what can happen between now and then that can change things.

Everyone here that has said they "trust the staff" means it, because they understand football recruiting is a tough business that THIS STAFF has proven to do very well. Going head to head with traditionally football schools in the SEC and b1g and winning has not been done this well and this consistently by any staff we've had before now.

Yes, they have earned our trust and support. Not for a day or a few months, but day in day out, throughout the year. They've done a remarkable job at UK. BereaCat, Rembrandt, and many others (including me) have and will continue to tell you they trust the staff.
This! Thank you for the outstanding post! Some seem irrationally determined to infer "trust the staff" as naive or an empty platitude - this staff has earned the fans' trust. To me, "trust the staff" is a thoughtful and knowledgeable approach due to the long-standing, well-established track record.

Agreed. My issue with this class is no longer there aren't enough 4 stars. Its the guys at the bottom of the class are not even top 800 players. Several guys with 0 other SEC offers. Too many guys ranked 800+ where Kentucky is beating out MAC schools and the bottom of the BIG 10 or ACC and the in state flagship school never even offered. Marshall and Mizell are the only guys ranked between like 300 and 750. Needed more guys in that range than in the 800+ range
I understand, but Stoops & Co have earned our deference on this. Josh Allen comes to mind, as well as current starting LB Eryk Jackson who was a low 3 star. Recruiting is basically a bell curve for all but the most elite teams and the coaches, when they feel they have a position group safely covered, they may notice some traits in a kid who hasn't reached his potential yet and they feel comfortable spending a scholarship on a developmental guy. I fully support that, though hope we keep reaching for a higher level of recruiting classes.

Don't know where you get that. Recruiting did pick significantly when Stoops & Marrow arrived & has stayed improved, but it seems pretty flat at a good, not great level, over the last 5 years as evidenced by team record & class rankings. Maybe there's a measure of improved recruiting I don't see, but why a leveling of records then?
If you define good as moving the avg class ranking from 50-70 to 20-30, then you may need to check expectations. Sure we want to keep improving, but to expect us to reach top 20 annually yesterday, is a bit much. I we string together 3 9-10 win seasons in a row, then I suspect we could inch up to the next level. Also, putting guys in the NFL is going to continue to help.

I understand, but Stoops & Co have earned our deference on this. Josh Allen comes to mind, as well as current starting LB Eryk Jackson who was a low 3 star. Recruiting is basically a bell curve for all but the most elite teams and the coaches, when they feel they have a position group safely covered, they may notice some traits in a kid who hasn't reached his potential yet and they feel comfortable spending a scholarship on a developmental guy. I fully support that, though hope we keep reaching for a higher level of recruiting classes.

Why should I have to blindly trust every recruit that Stoops and Co. take? Have they improved the level of recruiting at this program? 100%. But even Saban and Kirby are susceptible to criticism.

My only complaint with this class is we went into states that our coaches do not have the connections with like they do in Ohio and Kentucky and took players that other big schools did not want. In the past going to states like Georgia, Pennsylvania, Missouri, Tennessee, and Florida and taking kids that did not have committable offers from other P5 schools in that area has not worked out for Kentucky. Yes I know about Crod and the handful of other exceptions. But the hit rate is still well under 30% and that is not acceptable when more than a handful of guys in your class fall into this category.

Why should I have to blindly trust every recruit that Stoops and Co. take? Have they improved the level of recruiting at this program? 100%. But even Saban and Kirby are susceptible to criticism.

My only complaint with this class is we went into states that our coaches do not have the connections with like they do in Ohio and Kentucky and took players that other big schools did not want. In the past going to states like Georgia, Pennsylvania, Missouri, Tennessee, and Florida and taking kids that did not have committable offers from other P5 schools in that area has not worked out for Kentucky. Yes I know about Crod and the handful of other exceptions. But the hit rate is still well under 30% and that is not acceptable when more than a handful of guys in your class fall into this category.
I understand that criticism and concern but I think it overlooks something important. If you want to get into the powerhouse highschools in a new recruiting area, sometimes you have to start with the borderline or risky prospect to get in the door and earn the trust of the local staff. That can pay dividends down the road. In recruiting, you can't only play the short game. The long game is also important.

Cincinnati Princeton hs WR prospect Dorian Williams has decommitted from Vandy and might become an active recruiting target for UK again.

Heavily recruited Brunswick hs LB prospect Devin Smith will announce his school decision today. Many talking heads believe his choice will be UK. Smith would become one of the top defensive commitments in our class. We need more Smiths.

Coach Collins is in communication with Aidan Bryant, a 6'5" 300# OT prospect from Greenville, MS. Bryant currently does not have any publicly reported SEC offers but may hold a new offer from OH St. Bryant is new to football, having played for two years. He reportedly has a long body and unusually long arms. UK has not offered but the situation is developing.

Last edited:

I haven't seen anyone saying or suggesting we should "blindly" trust anything. Intelligent people generally do not trust "blindly". But I have seen several posters suggest that our coaches have earned our trust. That is a very different thing, and I think it is demonstrably true.

Growing the recruiting footprint is something every successful program does. Stoops has built his coaching staff so that we do, in fact, have recruiting connections now in FL, GA, TX, the Carolinas, and the northeast. You mentioned that Stoops is taking prospects from the state of MO who don't have other committable Power 5 offers. That statement is false.

Josh Allen is from NJ and picked UK over Monmouth. Stone Saunders is from PA. Quinton Bohanna is from TN and was not widely recruited. Lightly recruited Kenneth Horsey, Derrick Baity, and Juice Johnson are from FL. Lightly recruited D'Eryk Jackson is from GA. What constitutes a "hit" is subjective. There may be players who have contributed although certain fans may not appreciate their contributions. Right now, I would offer Jaden Burton, Eli Cox, Jutahn McClain, Jeremy Flax, and Josaih Hayes as examples. There are also players who haven't contributed much to date, but will in the future. Martez Thrower and DHY have not contributed much to date but recently made the playing rotation. Darius West was injured for several years and looked like a sure recruiting bust, then got healthy and became a very good starting S. Most of us would agree Jamin Davis, AJ Rose, and Justin Rigg needed several years to develop but still contributed significantly before graduating. I am not passing judgment on any of these players one way or the other, just saying they have contributed to the team more than some fans appreciate. So "hit rate" only means what you decide it means. Totally subjective.

Last edited:
Cincinnati Princeton hs WR prospect Dorian Williams has decommitted from Vandy and might become an active recruiting target for UK again.

Heavily recruited Brunswick hs LB prospect Devin Smith will announce his school decision today. Many talking heads believe his choice will be UK. Smith would become one of the top defensive commitments in our class. We need more Smiths.

Coach Collins is in communication with Aidan Bryant, a 6'5" 300# OT prospect from Greenville, MS. Bryant currently does not have any publicly reported SEC offers but may hold a new offer from OH St. Bryant is new to football, having played for two years. He reportedly has a long body and unusually long arms. UK has not offered but the situation is developing.
@Rembrandt90 Thank you for the work and the great info!!!!!!

I understand that criticism and concern but I think it overlooks something important. If you want to get into the powerhouse highschools in a new recruiting area, sometimes you have to start with the borderline or risky prospect to get in the door and earn the trust of the local staff. That can pay dividends down the road. In recruiting, you can't only play the short game. The long game is also important.
Fair point for Desmet in Saint Louis and St Joe's in PA.

In any business, recruiting included, you do what you have to do to get your foot in the door. In recruiting that means taking a guy you might not normally take in order to begin the relationship and build good will for the higher ranked guys you see coming over the next few cycles.

In any business, recruiting included, you do what you have to do to get your foot in the door. In recruiting that means taking a guy you might not normally take in order to begin the relationship and build good will for the higher ranked guys you see coming over the next few cycles.
We have several players in this class from not traditional powers so there is no use "getting your foot in the door" since the area/school rarely produces talent

We have several players in this class from not traditional powers so there is no use "getting your foot in the door" since the area/school rarely produces talent
I am speaking generalities and I suspect you have no idea who may be coming up in every school that may not be even playing varsity yet, but our recruiting staff is aware of due to the relationships they have.

Which players have zero offers? You mentioned mossouri, Caleb Redd has atleast 15 P5 offers includimg USC and Oregon. Tenn? Soles has a Bama offer along with anoth 10 P5. Who are you talking about? They have 1 recruit that doesn't have P5 offers and that is Scott. They took a chance with him because he came to vamp and ran a 4.3 40. A. Smith is the only other you could be mentioning. Collins has connections in South Georgia. You mention Tenn and UK has been getting a few guys every year there. They are most likely getting another South Ga commit tonight. A few months ago I could questioning some things. With the Smiths, BRob, and Devin coming on board there is nothing to question.

Which players have zero offers? You mentioned mossouri, Caleb Redd has atleast 15 P5 offers includimg USC and Oregon. Tenn? Soles has a Bama offer along with anoth 10 P5. Who are you talking about? They have 1 recruit that doesn't have P5 offers and that is Scott. They took a chance with him because he came to vamp and ran a 4.3 40. A. Smith is the only other you could be mentioning. Collins has connections in South Georgia. You mention Tenn and UK has been getting a few guys every year there. They are most likely getting another South Ga commit tonight. A few months ago I could questioning some things. With the Smiths, BRob, and Devin coming on board there is nothing to question.
Well said.

We have commitments from Boley, Nichols, Groves (from TN), Mizell (from FL) and Gilmore (from FL). The Smith twins just flipped from MI to UK. Talking heads in the recruiting industry seem to think we are about to get commitments from Brian Robinson and Devin Smith (from GA). This seems a very odd time for fans to be calling out our coaching staff for weak recruiting. That suggests the negativism is habitual.

I would also caution against expectations for a majority of signees to pan out. That just isn't reality. Coaches don't have crystal balls. Some members of a recruiting class contribute. Some end up on special teams, and only a fraction of these ever make the playing rotation. Some get hurt. Some leave early. Every team has overachievers and underachievers, This happens everywhere. (Look at AL now.) That's why teams get to carry 85 scholarships. With those caveats, Stoops seems to be especially good at evaluating and developing talent.

Last edited:
I like our future QB recruiting and development as long as Coen is here.

I agree. Coach Coen has already had a large impact. Without Coen, we would not have commitments from Cutter Boley or Stone Saunders, and probably not from Hardley Gilmore either. We may be about to get a flip from Rico Scott, and that would not be in play without Coen's return.

Too early to call this more than a product of our nonconference schedule, but UK is currently tied for first place in the SEC in least sacks allowed. We are 9th in the SEC in total offense and 7th in both passing offense and scoring offense which, although not as good as we want, is considerably better than last year. In three games, Devin Leary has passed for 885 yards and 8 TDs.

The SEC schedule will tell us more. But Coen's return has already helped a lot.

Reactions: bballcat4
Too early to call this more than a product of our nonconference schedule, but UK is currently tied for first place in the SEC in least sacks allowed.
In 2023 so far, of 133 Div. I schools, including FCS, we have run fewer offensive plays per game than 131 of them. Hard to sack non-plays.

In 2023 so far, of 133 Div. I schools, including FCS, we have run fewer offensive plays per game than 131 of them. Hard to sack non-plays.
No, I think our sack stats are clearly improved compared to last year. So far, anyway. Our offense wasn't any faster paced last year than it has been so far in 2023. However, it doesn't mean much until we see how well we hold up in SEC play. Vandy may not be one of the better SEC teams, but Vandy has pass rushers and will be able to put some pressure on our OL and our blocking schemes. The following week, FL has a much improved defense this year. So we will see how these two games go.

Well said.

We have commitments from Boley, Nichols, Groves (from TN), Mizell (from FL) and Gilmore (from FL). The Smith twins just flipped from MI to UK. Talking heads in the recruiting industry seem to think we are about to get commitments from Brian Robinson and Devin Smith (from GA). This seems a very odd time for fans to be calling out our coaching staff for weak recruiting. That suggests the negativism is habitual.

I would also caution against expecations for a majority of signees to pan out. That just isn't reality. Coaches don't have crystal balls. Some members of a recruiting class contribute. Some end up on special teams, and only a fraction of these ever make the playing rotation. Some get hurt. Some leave early. Every team has overachievers and underachievers, This happens everywhere. (Look at AL now.) That's why teams get to carry 85 scholarships. With those caveats, Stoops seems to be especially good at evaluating and developing talent.

I don't think anyone reads what I actually have posted on here. I like this class a lot. But I like it because of how strong the top end of the class is. I was negative early in the cycle because I did not like the type of player we were taking commitments from. There is a certain type of prospect that historically not panned out at Kentucky at an exponentially higher rate. Those players check three boxes. They are 1. Not from Kentucky/Southern Ohio 2.Not ranked as a composite 500ish player 3. Was not a legacy recruit or someone who has another similar type connection to the program.

I only commented on this thread to state I was liking how this class is trending after I was not necessarily a fan of several of the players who IMO Kentucky reached for. Thank you all for all the comments about D'eryck Jackson Luke Fortner and Josh Allen. I am well aware of those players and their rankings. I am a numbers guy. I am sure one of the players I am not a fan of will pan out. But again its a numbers game.

My fear was this class felt like it was trending towards the way the 2019 class was built. A few four stars and local projects with a bunch of 3 stars from Kentucky's non traditional recruiting base. That worried me as the 2019 class is the worst recruiting class in the history of the program.

I am good with taking a few "projects" each year. Lower ranked guys the staff feels they can develop. I have issues when there are only 8 guys committed and 7 of them are labeled as projects, which was the case with this class for awhile. In the transfer portal era "projects" especially those who do not have connections with the program are the first guys to hit the portal when they are still buried on the depth chart after a year and a half.

I wouldn't mind seeing a couple of these guys decommit at the bottom of the class. The way things have trended and seem to be trending Robinson and Smith I believe the staff has been able to recruit over guys currently committed and there are other areas I would like to see addressed. If Robinson and Smith join the class as expected we will have 9 guys committed than combined can only play 5 different positions, 6 if you believe Robinson can play DT.

Reactions: GH_UKBBN92
I don't think anyone reads what I actually have posted on here.

We have. Otherwise we could not have responded.

I like this class a lot.

Me too. And I will like it more if we get Devin Smith today.

But I like it because of how strong the top end of the class is. I was negative early in the cycle because I did not like the type of player we were taking commitments from.

You have every right to believe what you want. But if this is what you believe, then apparently you have determined that the initial commitments to the class, Boley, Johnson, Selm, Mizell, Lafontant, Marshall, Rodriguez, Redd, and Nichols, are unlikely to become successful SEC players. You have gotten, and will get, responses that disagree with your opinion on these players, and that should not surprise you. It doesn't mean we didn't read what you posted. We just don't agree.

There is a certain type of prospect that historically not panned out at Kentucky at an exponentially higher rate. Those players check three boxes. They are 1. Not from Kentucky/Southern Ohio 2.Not ranked as a composite 500ish player 3. Was not a legacy recruit or someone who has another similar type connection to the program.

Okay. First, the opposite is actually true. Bunchy Stallings, Josh Allen, Logan Stenberg, CRod, Quinton Bohanna, Calvin Taylor, Juice Johnson, Derrick Baity, Boogie Watson, Stephen Johnson, Yusuf Corker, Jamin Davis, Josh Ali, Kenneth Horsey, Deandre Square, Khalil Saunders, D'Eryk Jackson, Andru Phillips, TreVonn Rybka, and Jalen Geiger were, or currently are, UK starters. I think I missed several other examples but the list is long. Several of these players were All Americans or all SEC. So that false impression cannot really be defended.

My fear was this class felt like it was trending towards the way the 2019 class was built - the 2019 class is the worst recrfuiting class in the histoiry of the program.

2019 certainly wasn't one of Stoops' best classes, although Brandin Echols is starting in the NFL now while Weaver, Geiger, and Cox currently start for our football team. But if you insist that the 2019 class was the "worst in the history of the program", that's way, way wrong. I don't know your age, and I'm not implying that I do, but we have had far worse classes in the past.

I am good with taking a few "projects" each year. Lower ranked guys the staff feels they can develop. I have issues when there are only 8 guys committed and 7 of them are labeled as projects, which was the case with this class for awhile.

No, it wasn't. Above, I listed our first 9 commitments to this class. Boley, Mizell, Selm, and Nichols are highly recruited, high upside prospects. I wouldn't sleep on the other five either.

I wouldn't mind seeing a couple of these guys decommit at the bottom of the class. The way things have trended and seem to be trending Robinson and Smith I believe the staff has been able to recruit over guys currently committed and there are other areas I would like to see addressed.

Again, here, you will receive some disagreement. If there are decommits from this class, they will most likely be academic question marks. There are currently 19 commits. I have posted a number of times about ongoing roster numbers. Assuming there are the normal number of outbound transfers this offseason that typically leave every year, Stoops still has room for every Smith we have offered (which is a lot of Smiths) plus Brian Robinson and either Rico Scott or Kamron Mikell, plus another offensive lineman if he finds the right one. Plus some inbound transfers from the portal. It depends on how many current UK underclassmen leave. We know Nik Hall's career is in trouble because of the back injury, and there are also at least several obvious candidates to transfer out. In fact, Stoops and his staff are still contacting and offering new prospects for the 2024 class (Yannick Smith for example).

At the end of the day, you sound like a fan who places more credence in online player ratings than in our coaching staff's evaluation skills. If I am wrong about that, I apologize. But your posts sound as if you distrust our staff's evaluation skills. Of course, you are perfectly free to believe whatever you want to believe, but don't be surprised when other posters disagree.

This year we’re allowing a sack once every 32 passing plays.

Last year we allowed a sack about once every 8 passing plays.

So far, this year has been a huge improvement in terms of how many sacks we allow.

Hard to run a lot of plays when you avg 17 yards a completion, which we were through the 3rd quarter last Sat.

I agree with you that our QB is throwing too many long completions and Davis should not have improvised that long play. Scoop and score broke our back. I’d rather have another 7-8 plays per game ;- )

I could not care less about how many plays we run per game as long as we are scoring points. Saban said number of plays and TOP are the most overrated stats in football. Maybe you can coach Saban up on what’s important to a coach.

I could not care less about how many plays we run per game as long as we are scoring points
Lol.

To minimize Kentucky’s defenses in the past, some have said his “slow-down”offense protects the defense. Now, when our “minor” opponents have dominated time of possession, and yet scored even fewer points than usual . . . .

Well, something has to be broke to keep their interest, I guess.

Maybe our offensive players are catching too high a percentage of deep passes?

Backs running too fast?

This is starting to call for one of those “Hack” posts that run such thoughts into the ground.

Lol.

To minimize Kentucky’s defenses in the past, some have said his “slow-down”offense protects the defense. Now, when our “minor” opponents have dominated time of possession, and yet scored even fewer points than usual . . . .

Well, something has to be broke to keep their interest, I guess.

Maybe our offensive players are catching too high a percentage of deep passes?

Backs running too fast?

This is starting to call for one of those “Hack” posts that run such thoughts into the ground.
I tried to give two thumbs up, but unlike Weaver, Rivals can’t figure out how to add another appendage to the board.

If you’ll start a thread about Coen needing to reduce splash plays so we can increase our # of plays (and how we can make it happen) I’ll pop some popcorn and sit back and laugh all night at the replies!

I tried to give two thumbs up, but unlike Weaver, Rivals can’t figure out how to add another appendage to the board.

If you’ll start a thread about Coen needing to reduce splash plays so we can increase our # of plays (and how we can make it happen) I’ll pop some popcorn and sit back and laugh all night at the replies!
I won’t tonight, with so much warning, but I’ll!try to sneak in one of those posts and piss everybody off.

I mean, damn, all quick scoring and recovering turnovers does is keep your defense on the field!!

Reactions: UKCatnNC
I won’t tonight, with so much warning, but I’ll!try to sneak in one of those posts and piss everybody off.

I mean, damn, all quick scoring and recovering turnovers does is keep your defense on the field!!
Heard White slapped Coen in staff mtg for scoring too fast.

Reactions: The-Hack
Current status of UK's 2024 recruiting class-

Cutter Boley, QB, Lexington, KY
Lorenzo Cowan, LB, Savannah, GA
Hardley Gilmore, WR, Pahokee, FL
Elijah Groves, LB, Cross Plains, TN
Hayes Johnson, OL, Campbellsville, KY
Jacob Kauwe, K/P, Billings, MT
Jason Lafontant, OL, Greenwich, CT
Jiquavious Marshall, DB, Macon, GA
Tovani Mizell, RB, Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Terhyon Nichols, DB, Cincinnati, OH
Willie Rodriguez, TE, Alexandria, KY
Caleb Redd, LB, St. Louis, MO
Quaysheed Scott, DB, Marion, SC
Aba Selm, OL, Independence, KY
Antwan Smith, DB, Atlanta, GA
Devin Smith, LB, Brunswick, GA
Jacob Smith, LB, Corbin, KY
Jerod Smith, DL, Corbin, KY
Steven Soles, LB, Powell, TN
David Washington, slotR, Philadelphia, PA

Devin Smith is now a Wildcat, after committing in the wee hours of the morning. So, a lot of Smiths there, and UK's coaches are still recruiting ECU commit WR Yannick Smith.

Still out there is highly recruited uncommitted Westerville, OH, DE Brian Robinson, who is increasingly being projected to UK by industry prognosticators including Steve Wiltfong. Robinson does not yet have a scheduled announcement date.

In addition to Yannick Smith, UK's coaches are still trying to flip Artavius Jones (Miami commit), Cam Dooley (MO), JacQawn McRoy (OR commit), Jason Patterson (UC commit), and Rico Scott (AL commit). Of those five, Scott currently appears most likely to flip as he is a hs teammate of Stone Saunders.

Last edited:
Kind of makes me wonder whether Nasir Smith will visit Lexington this fall. So far, he hasn't scheduled any OVs although he UV'ed Tuscaloosa two weeks ago.

We do, but when you state that the 2019 Class was the worst in program history, we shake our heads.

That Class likely exceeded every Class in sheer talent from 2000 until Stoops arrival in 2013, sans (maybe) Andre Woodson’s Class.
This is a bit of a tangent, but our 2003 class was actually extremely weak except for Woodson, Keenan Burton, and Jacob Tamme. And Tamme was actually a very lowly rated and lightly recruited prospect because he was a QB without arm talent. Of course, Rich Brooks converted Tamme to a WR and then to a flex TE. The rest is history. Tamme became an All American and then had a long NFL career. But at the time Tamme signed with us, nothing much was expected. Brooks was just getting started here and Tamme was from Boyle Co. Otherwise Tamme would have ended up as a reserve QB at NWern during a weak period in that football program's development under HC Randy Walker (24-32). So Woodson's 2003 UK class was not actually as strong as we might surmise.

In hindsight, Stoops' 2019 class was not one of his best, but was probably better than any UK football class from 2000-2012 and most of Mumme's classes as well.

Reactions: The-Hack
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT