ADVERTISEMENT

State of 2024 Recruiting

If Wallace plays the way he has thru SEC play he’s not coming back lol
Short of a career ending injury, I can't think of any scenario in which Wallace will not be better off by returning to UK in 2024. Can he come out early and get drafted? Likely yes, but that is a different question. If getting drafted in any round is his only goal, then come out early, attend the draft camp, and take your chances. But if getting drafted as high as possible is the goal, come back to UK in 2024. Getting drafted high means more money (often a lot more) and often more roster security too. It's the smart thing to do.

Every year, some of our fans insist a handful of our players will leave early for the NFL draft. I heard this with Landon Young, Drake Jackson, Josh Allen, Quinton Bohanna, Darian Kinnard, Josh Paschal, Will Levis, CRod, and JJ Weaver, among others, but all of them were smart enough to come back. We forget too easily how many draftable college football players are all around the country in the various conferences, not just in the SEC. Under Stoops, only Benny Snell, Lynn Bowden, Jamin Davis, Kelvin Joseph, and Carrington Valentine have left UK early and actually gotten drafted by the NFL. Some other UK players like Braylon Heard, Boom Williams, and Dare Rosenthal left early but did not get drafted. Good players, but they screwed up. Often, leaving early turns out to be a bad idea. Wallace is a notable athlete, but there are a lot of good LBs around the country. He should play out his eligibility and build his resume for the draft IMO. But of course we can't read his mind.

Hope you’re right on Wallace. I just see him testing through the roof at a NFL combine if he’s invited. Agree he needs to come back at this point.
He will probably test well athletically but he's not gonna blow people away with physical measurements like Dupree and J. Allen. I hope he stays too. He will get drafter higher if he does.

He will probably test well athletically but he's not gonna blow people away with physical measurements like Dupree and J. Allen. I hope he stays too. He will get drafter higher if he does.
Totally agree. College football is full of 6'2" 230# athletes who can run. What made Josh Allen a Nagurski Trophy winner was that he was a 6'5" 260# athlete who could run like a 6'2" 230# athlete.

Much has been said about Stoops' success in acquiring and developing edge defenders, starting with Josh Allen and continuing to development of Keaton Wade and the recent commitment from Jacob Smith. But we are also adding interior LB talent now. I am excited by Devin Smith's commitment. Devin is high on the recruiting boards of almost every SEC coaching staff, not to mention OH St and ND. I believe Devin is underrated. Once Steven Soles gets to campus, I believe he will also be developed at the second level in our interior defense. 2023 signee Jayvant Brown is as already receiving game snaps.

Robinson’ s visiting again today, would be the best of both worlds to throttle the Gators and have him commit. I’d expect he’d have a formal announcement ceremony like most of these kids seem to enjoy but you never know.

Short of a career ending injury, I can't think of any scenario in which Wallace will not be better off by returning to UK in 2024. Can he come out early and get drafted? Likely yes, but that is a different question. If getting drafted in any round is his only goal, then come out early, attend the draft camp, and take your chances. But if getting drafted as high as possible is the goal, come back to UK in 2024. Getting drafted high means more money (often a lot more) and often more roster security too. It's the smart thing to do.

Every year, some of our fans insist a handful of our players will leave early for the NFL draft. I heard this with Landon Young, Drake Jackson, Josh Allen, Quinton Bohanna, Darian Kinnard, Josh Paschal, Will Levis, CRod, and JJ Weaver, among others, but all of them were smart enough to come back. We forget too easily how many draftable college football players are all around the country in the various conferences, not just in the SEC. Under Stoops, only Benny Snell, Lynn Bowden, Jamin Davis, Kelvin Joseph, and Carrington Valentine have left UK early and actually gotten drafted by the NFL. Some other UK players like Braylon Heard, Boom Williams, and Dare Rosenthal left early but did not get drafted. Good players, but they screwed up. Often, leaving early turns out to be a bad idea. Wallace is a notable athlete, but there are a lot of good LBs around the country. He should play out his eligibility and build his resume for the draft IMO. But of course we can't read his mind.
Personally Think it will be a jamin Davis situation. Nobody thought he would get drafted that high when. He left but he tested off the charts. Obviously would love to have him back

So did we get any commitments off that performance?
I don't expect any 2024 commitments this week. But Brian Robinson, Kamron Mikell, and Rico Scott had to be impressed. The thing is that we already have 20 commitments, and the number of committable UK offers still out there is small. These are highly recruited guys, and they don't need to be in a hurry. They will pull the trigger when they feel like it. Typically the 2nd half of September and 1st half of October don't see very many commitments.

Reactions: The-Hack
Personally Think it will be a jamin Davis situation. Nobody thought he would get drafted that high when. He left but he tested off the charts. Obviously would love to have him back
Again, I suspect the odds of Wallace returning to UK for his senior season are >50-50 but far from certain. The longer UK keeps playing like this, the harder it will be to tune out the media noise. As we already know, some players listen to our coaches and make calculated decisions while others read too many of their own newspaper headlines. Wallace seems like a level headed young man and plays a position that is crammed full of outstanding athletes around college football. But we can't read his mind.

FWIW, I also think there is >50-50 chance that D'Eryk Jackson takes a COVID season and comes back in 2024. That would be nice.

Having said that, it's good to have Grant Godfrey, Jayvant Brown, Devin Smith, Lorenzo Cowan, and Steven Soles in our developmental LB pipeline. Some will say most of these guys are edge defenders. But that is only their hs role, and most of them were recruited for their athletic tools and projectability as interior LBs. I won't even be totally shocked if Elijah Groves gets some practice reps in the interior, even though he probably profiles on the edge.

@Rembrandt90 What’s your thoughts on Groves younger brothers. I was watching their game a couple of weeks ago here in Nashville and the junior is a rb/athlete and the sophomore looks to be a DE? The announcers kept saying that they all had offers from Kentucky and Brad White was in attendance. The youngest looks like a monster.Also they kept saying that the brothers said they were all going to play together in college. Sorry. Guess this should be in 25 recruiting.

@Rembrandt90 What’s your thoughts on Groves younger brothers. I was watching their game a couple of weeks ago here in Nashville and the junior is a rb/athlete and the sophomore looks to be a DE? The announcers kept saying that they all had offers from Kentucky and Brad White was in attendance. The youngest looks like a monster.Also they kept saying that the brothers said they were all going to play together in college. Sorry. Guess this should be in 25 recruiting.
I think it's all about Zach, the sophomore edge defender. Zach has the measurables and twitch. Isaiah is a respectable player, but I'm not sure he would be a take if his older brother wasn't a commit and his younger brother wasn't a primary recruiting target. Don't get me wrong. I won't complain if Isaiah joins our team. He has the pedigree, and he might be one more in a long and growing line of pleasant surprises signed by Stoops. But there are a lot of RBs out there. Elite edge defenders are not as easy to recruit, although you wouldn't know that by looking at our 2024 class. The impact Coach White's success has had on defensive recruiting is a phenomenon we simply haven't seen here before.

Reactions: lsb34m3
Big dawg just “implied” Rico Scott was flipped after coming to UKs game yesterday. Sunday AM radio show
This would not surprise me, especially with Stone Saunders in his ear, but recruiting is among the least predictable of human behaviors.

Put yourself in Scott's place. Saunders just broke the all time career passing record at Bishop McDevitt hs. A lot of Saunders' completions have been caught by Scott, and Scott holds at least seven SEC and six B10 offers because of that. If Scott were to flip to UK, Saunders would be in Lexington by the time Scott comes into his own. The future is never certain, but that mental picture must be enticing for Scott, especially when he sees a run-heavy offense with a run-first sophomore QB at AL. Scott surely realizes Coach Saban won't be there for another 4 years.

Last edited:
Come to UK Rico, catch passes - watch our games we need catchers!

Or continue going to Bama, and be a downfield blocker for Milroe for 3 yrs
Robinson set his commitment date for this Wednesday.

I now strongly believe Brian Robinson will announce for UK this week, and Rico Scott will flip from AL to UK later this fall.

Both make a lot of sense. Robinson OVed UK in June and then UVed UK in September. Robinson can now clearly see Brad White is an elite DC with a highly ranked defense and UK's coaching staff is stable. Highly accurate recruiting guru Steve Wiltfong recently predicted Robinson to UK. I believe Vince Marrow gets this very important recruiting win and UK signs its #1 2024 target.

Meanwhile, Scott is listening to his Bishop McDevitt hs QB Stone Saunders, a UK commit himself. Why would Scott go ahead and sign with 71 year old Nick Saban and his run-first offense when he can play for 37 year old Liam Coen, continue to catch passes from Saunders, and play for a skyrocketing UK program closer to his PA home? Surely, Saban is near retirement now, and the future of the AL program would fall on the shoulders of an unknown future hire. I think Woody gets his man here.

If all of this proves out, Coach Stoops would have 22 commits to his 2024 class, which has come together very nicely just as I and a number of others said it would throughout the summer. In this case, the following prospects would apparently continue on UK's active 2024 recruiting board-

Aidan Bryant, OL, Greenville, MS
Cam Dooley, S, Valley, AL (MO commit)
Alex Foster, DL, Greenville, MS (Baylor commit)
Donovan Hamilton, WR, Fishers, IN
Artavius Jones, DL, Miami, FL (Miami commit)
JacQawn McRoy, OL, Pinson, AL (OR commit)
Kamron Mikell, WR, Statesboro, GA
Marc Nave, OL, Toledo, OH (OH St decommit)
Yannick Smith, WR, Summerville, SC (ECU commit)

At this point, I think McRoy, Foster, and Jones are long shots. Nave's decommitment is a recent development and we will have to see where this leads. OH St has recruited Nave as an OG. But Nave is 6'5" 315# and can hypothetically play any OL position (as he has in hs).

Last edited:
Know what? guys with baggage who you give a chance, but end up more trouble than they are worth can be pushed into the portal.

Robinson's Dad is a piece of work and has been a huge headache for his Son's HS coaches. There's a reason why OSU did not offer a top 100 prospect in their own backyard. Great talent, but there's baggage!
Many player parents are weird. It is seldom a problem because parents want what is best for their kids. Marrow would not recruit this player if he could not get along with daddy. This is not Marrow's first rodeo.

Many player parents are weird. It is seldom a problem because parents want what is best for their kids. Marrow would not recruit this player if he could not get along with daddy. This is not Marrow's first rodeo.

Hope it works out for both parties, just saying Daddy is a special Dude!

As widely anticipated, Westerville, OH, DL prospect Brian Robinson has now committed to UK. Another great job by Coach Marrow. Robinson reportedly holds at least nine B10 and four SEC (including GA) offers plus ND and SoCal. Previously I have said that Robinson is the most important prospect on UK's entire 2024 recruiting board, and one of the most important commits of the entire Stoops era. Today I believe that more than ever, especially because Robinson continues to add good weight and looks more and more like a DL prospect rather than a LB. Unlike many hs players, Robinson already understands the nutritional and conditioning requirements for a college athlete. I believe he will continue to add good weight and get stronger. His upside is immense.

This brings the number of 2024 UK commits to 21. That means remaining scholarships are being offered and followed-up very, very carefully. It is believed that UK's coaches are still recruiting Artavius Jones out of Blountstown, FL, Rico Scott out of Harrisburg, PA, Kamron Mikell out of Statesboro, GA, Donovan Hamilton out of Fishers, IN, and Aidan Bryant out of Greenville, MS. Jones (Miami) and Scott (AL) are currently committed to other schools, but Scott may be leaning to UK now.

UK's current 2024 recruiting class-

Cutter Boley, QB, Lexington, KY
Lorenzo Cowan, LB, Savannah, GA
Hardley Gilmore, WR, Pahokee, FL
Elijah Groves, LB, Cross Plains, TN
Hayes Johnson, OL, Campbellsville, KY
Jadon Lafontant, OL, Greenwich, CT
Jason Kauwe, K/P, Billings, MT
Jiquavious Marshall, DB, Macon, GA
Tovani Mizell, RB, Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Terhyon Nichols, DB, Cincinnati, OH
Caleb Redd, LB, St. Louis, MO
Brian Robinson, DL, Westerville, OH
Willie Rodriguez, TE, Alexandria, KY
Quaysheed Scott, DB, Marion, SC
Aba Selm, OL, Independence, KY
Antwan Smith, DB, Atlanta, GA
Devin Smith, LB, Brunswick, GA
Jacob Smith, LB, Corbin, KY
Jerod Smith, DL, Corbin, KY
Steven Soles, LB, Powell, TN
David Washington, slotR, Philadelphia, PA

State breakdown- KY (6), GA (4), FL (2), TN (2), OH (2), SC (1), MO (1), PA (1), MT (1), CT (1)

The "Smith count" in the class remains at 4.

For those who ridiculed this class throughout the summer, you can stop wringing your hands now. It is another excellent class, and Rico Scott may still become a part of it later. Trust our coaches.

Today's statement by new UK commit Brian Robinson says it all. Everyone ought to read this. Quoting Robinson-

"The individuals who played a pivotal role in my decision were Coach Marrow, Coach Stoops, Coach Brad White, and Coach Stewart. They provided incredible support and were the first to extend a Power Five offer. Their approach was straightforward and consistent. They were very clear about the people I would be working with, the way the program was structured, and the type of values they prioritize, as well as the contributions they felt I would make. They exhibited patience, never pressured me with timelines or slot availability. From day one, they assured me that I had a place within the program and they stuck to that. They valued me, they valued my family, and that created a sense of belonging.

I chose the University of Kentucky for several reasons. They are a people-first team. They really care about you, your family, and what your vision for your future is. It feels like home every time I step on that campus and in some ways it is because so many of the guys down there grew up where I grew up and we really know and care about each other. They are playing some incredible football. They also have a great program and a big vision for the future, and I love the guys that are there right now. It's no secret that I visited many times and I was fully invested in the recruiting process, right down to the final moments. They sprinted through that finish line with me.

I would like to express my deepest gratitude to God, my parents, siblings, coaches from little league to high school, teammates, trainers, nutritionists, and doctors. Additionally I extend thanks to Campbell City School, Austintown, and Westerville North communities for welcoming and supporting me on this journey."

IMO this is a highly intelligent, gracious, perceptive young man who will make an early impact in our football program and become a leader. He has all-SEC written all over him.

This is a very strong defensive recruiting class and another excellent overall class for Coach Stoops. Several of these prospects, especially Gilmore, Mizell, Johnson, Scott, Cowan, and Devin Smith, are badly underrated IMHO. Anyone who argues this is not a very competitive SEC class simply does not understand what we have here. Our coaches are among the best in the country at evaluating, recruiting, and developing talent. We can still use another WR and an OT or two, but Coach Stoops can go to the portal again if necessary. I still think we have a great chance to flip Rico Scott. Plus, Kamron Mikell is scheduled to OV UK on Oct. 28.

Now, who was saying Coach Stoops is overpaid?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT