ADVERTISEMENT

State of 2024 Recruiting

F6HRVuWXEAASS97

Remarkable! As predicted by Steve Wiltfong, the Smith twins Jerod and Jacob have flipped from MI to UK. The twins are now on the same page. Congratulations Coach Marrow!

Speaking only for myself, I could not care less what this does for the online class ranking. The point here is that our roster and our football program are getting stronger where it really counts.

If Wiltfong's prediction is completely correct, Brian Robinson will be next.

Last edited:
Remarkable! As predicted by Steve Wiltfong, the Smith twins Jerod and Jacob have flipped from MI to UK. Congratulations Coach Marrow!

If Wiltfong's prediction is completely correct, Brian Robinson will be next.
JR said it was happening at the 1st of the week. He said everything clicked when they got the 3 together at the Ball State game. BRob will be a cat very soon. As we know things change but it is trending that way

awesome pick up! Seems like more good news on the way. How many linebackers/edge are we taking this class?
A lot. If they get Devin and BRob, it would be.
DE/Dt Jarod Smith / BRob
JACK Jacob Smith
Sam Caleb Redd / Lorenzo Cowan
Will - Soles/Groves
Mike - Devin Smith
A. Smith could be a Nickel/Sam slot like Afari or after adding weight possibly Will.
9 guys in the front 7

DE/Dt Jarod Smith / BRob
JACK Jacob Smith
Will - Soles/Groves
Mike - Devin Smith
A. Smith could be a Nickel/Sam slot like Afari or after adding weight possibly Will.
9 guys in the front 7
That would be the greatest LB/Edge haul in the Stoops era!!!!!

awesome pick up! Seems like more good news on the way. How many linebackers/edge are we taking this class?
Speaking just for myself, I have it figured this way. Of course this could turn out to be complete nonsense, but I suspect this will be pretty close.

Brian Robinson- DE
Elijah Groves- Jack/DE
Jerod Smith- DT
Jacob Smith- Jack
Caleb Redd- Jack/Sam
Lorenzo Cowan- Mike/Will/Sam
Steven Soles- Will
Devin Smith- Mike
Antwan Smith- Nickel/S

Currently our LB rotations are not as deep as we would prefer. JJ Weaver will be gone after this season. D'Eryk Jackson, Daveren Rayner, Martez Thrower, and Trevin Wallace will all be gone no later than the end of the 2024 season if not sooner in one of two of those cases.

Grant Godfrey, Jayvant Brown, Keaton Wade, and Tyreese Fearbry are very interesting young LBs (especially Wade and Godfrey), but there is plenty of room for more talent and quality depth on UK's future LB and DL roster. Getting Robinson and the twins will be ideal. Devin Smith would be gravy, as my grandmother used to say. She was a huge UK fan.

Thought Jacob is an edge?
Likely, but these lists seldom differentiate between OLB, Jacks, Edges and DE’s, and they seldom split “OT” from OG’s.”

As to the “edge” players on defense, those names become especially confusing when different systems use different names for the same or very similar styles of alignment and play.

We all call Josh Allen a “Jack,” but in my mind he will always be a “stand up defensive end,” as I once was many, many years ago.

Last edited:
DE/Dt Jarod Smith / BRob
JACK Jacob Smith
Will - Soles/Groves
Mike - Devin Smith
9 guys in the front 7
Mix this group in with DLs Gilbert/Gadson from last year's class and it makes me all tingly in dirty ways.

Reactions: The-Hack
Likely, but these lists seldom differentiate between OLB, Jacks, Edges and DE’s, and they seldom split “OT” from OG’s.”

As to the “edge” players on defense, those names become especially confusing when different systems use different names for the same or very similar styles of alignment and play.

We all call Josh Allen a “Jack,” but in my mind he will always be a “stand up defensive end,” as I once was many, many years ago.
I once asked the late great RV the difference between a Jack and a stand up DE and he responded they are one and the same. Good enough for me. Clarified my thinking for when I hear Jack.

So Jarod winds up with his hand in the dirt as DT? That is the speculation, correct?
Nearly everything we discuss here is speculation by the correct definition of the word. Recruiting is among the least predictable of human behaviors. None of us ever knows for sure what will happen until it actually happens. Fans don't know and the website writers don't either. BTW I believe JR is the best in the UK media. Nationally, I still respect Steve Wiltfong because his numbers speak for themselves.

With that caveat out of the way, let's look more closely at the twins. Jerod is reportedly 6'3" 265#. Jacob is 6'4" 230". In terms of body build, Jerod is a DT or DE in the 3-3-5. I assume UK's conditioning program will quickly build him up in the vicinity of 280-290#, with more coming as he matures, which suggests DT ultimately. Maybe he can play both DT and DE, as Khalil Saunders has.

OTOH, Jacob is built like a Jack LB. Unless he puts on 50# of muscle, he projects as an edge LB. Obviously, any LB can outgrow the position although most follow a nutrition plan. Josh Paschal is an example of a LB who outgrew the position and moved up to DE. In time, we will see how Jacob's frame fills out.

Three things to keep in mind here. First, we can never depend on reported measurements being accurate unless they have been taken at a combine that uses standardizations (such as removing shoes and equipment before measuring) and vouches for accuracy of the measurements. Similarly, we don't trust 40 times unless electronically timed without head wind or tail wind and vouched for as standardized and accurate. Often we can learn these things by reading a well written scouting report by a credible evaluator.

Secondly, once the athlete gets into a Power 5 nutrition and conditioning program, he will add muscle and gain weight. This is referred to by the term "projection". College athletes rarely get taller, but it happens occasionally with someone like Adou Thiero or Josh Allen who were outliers in terms of late closure of growth plates in the bones. Chances are the twins have already reached adult height but will get heavier as they develop in UK's conditioning program.

Finally, during every recruiting cycle, some fans panic and start posting irrational criticisms of our class and our coaching staff. Happens every year. As I and others have said here over and over, UK's roster is full of good players like Kenneth Horsey, Trevin Wallace, Khamari Anderson, Jamarion Wilcox, and Kendrick Gilbert whose OVs and public recruitments got started during the fall semester. I don't attach any significance to online class rankings because I trust our coaches far more. But even if one believes in the online rankings, the summertime rankings are utterly meaningless because many important commitments happen in the fall and winter. Josh Allen was a late commitment who actually hurt our 2015 class ranking because the online gurus thought he was a weak addition. LOL! If that doesn't improve your insight into the accuracy of class rankings, then I guess nothing will.

UK's current 2024 recruiting class-

Cutter Boley, QB, Lexington, KY
Lorenzo Cowan, LB, Savannah, GA
Hardley Gilmore, WR, Pahokee, FL
Elijah Groves, LB, Cross Plains, TN
Hayes Johnson, OL, Campbellsville, KY
Jacob Kauwe, K/P, Billings, MT
Jadon Lafontant, OL, Greenwich, CT
Jiquavious Marshall, DB, Macon, GA
Tovani Mizell, RB, Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Terhyon Nichols, DB, Cincinnati, OH
Caleb Redd, LB, St. Louis, MI
Willie Rodriguez, TE, Alexandria, KY
Quaysheed Scott, DB, Marion, SC
Aba Selm, OL, Independence, KY
Antwan Smith, LB/DB, Atlanta, GA
Jacob Smith, LB, Corbin, KY
Jerod Smith, DL, Corbin, KY
Steven Soles, LB, Powell, TN
David Washington, slotR, Philadelphia, PA

As I and others have said all along, this is a strong class. Next up is Devin Smith who will choose between UK and LSU on Sept. 22. Steve Wiltfong is predicting Brian Robinson to UK, and that could happen at anytime. Robinson is the most important prospect on UK's recruiting board, and has been all along. Also out there is WR prospect Kamron Mikell, scheduled to OV UK on Oct. 28. UK's coaches are still trying to flip DT Artavius Jones from Miami and WR Rico Scott from AL.

I wonder if there is a limit on how many Smiths the school can sign.

In every pic, Brian Robinson looks huge.

Could he out grow DE?

In any event, this year’s D-line haul might end up one of our best!!
Robinson is huge. Reportedly 6'5" 255# but looks heavier. The guy is ripped. It has been reported that he is already on a nutrition program and has added good weight every year in hs. And, of course, he could continue to add good weight, and probably will.

Robinson is huge. Reportedly 6'5" 255# but looks heavier. The guy is ripped. It has been reported that he is already on a nutrition program and has added good weight every year in hs. And, of course, he could continue to add good weight, and probably will.
Thank you for all the great info.

B Rob is huge. If smith twin is 265 then BRob is 280ish. Could keep filling out to be D Walkers replacement.

How many “Smiths” could be starting on our defense in a couple years???

It will sound like a law firm of “Smith, Smith, and Smith.”

If only “Smitty” had one more year of eligibility at QB!
Or we could call them all Johnsons.

Break out the small font for the unis, give all the Smiths full name treatment on their backs

Reactions: vhcat70
Nearly everything we discuss here is speculation by the correct definition of the word. Recruiting is among the least predictable of human behaviors. None of us ever knows for sure what will happen until it actually happens. Fans don't know and the website writers don't either. BTW I believe JR is the best in the UK media. Nationally, I still respect Steve Wiltfong because his numbers speak for themselves.

With that caveat out of the way, let's look more closely at the twins. Jerod is reportedly 6'3" 265#. Jacob is 6'4" 230". In terms of body build, Jerod is a DT or DE in the 3-3-5. I assume UK's conditioning program will quickly build him up in the vicinity of 280-290#, with more coming as he matures, which suggests DT ultimately. Maybe he can play both DT and DE, as Khalil Saunders has.

OTOH, Jacob is built like a Jack LB. Unless he puts on 50# of muscle, he projects as an edge LB. Obviously, any LB can outgrow the position although most follow a nutrition plan. Josh Paschal is an example of a LB who outgrew the position and moved up to DE. In time, we will see how Jacob's frame fills out.

Three things to keep in mind here. First, we can never depend on reported measurements being accurate unless they have been taken at a combine that uses standardizations (such as removing shoes and equipment before measuring) and vouches for accuracy of the measurements. Similarly, we don't trust 40 times unless electronically timed without head wind or tail wind and vouched for as standardized and accurate. Often we can learn these things by reading a well written scouting report by a credible evaluator.

Secondly, once the athlete gets into a Power 5 nutrition and conditioning program, he will add muscle and gain weight. This is referred to by the term "projection". College athletes rarely get taller, but it happens occasionally with someone like Adou Thiero or Josh Allen who were outliers in terms of late closure of growth plates in the bones. Chances are the twins have already reached adult height but will get heavier as they develop in UK's conditioning program.

Finally, during every recruiting cycle, some fans panic and start posting irrational criticisms of our class and our coaching staff. Happens every year. As I and others have said here over and over, UK's roster is full of good players like Kenneth Horsey, Trevin Wallace, Khamari Anderson, Jamarion Wilcox, and Kendrick Gilbert whose OVs and public recruitments got started during the fall semester. I don't attach any significance to online class rankings because I trust our coaches far more. But even if one believes in the online rankings, the summertime rankings are utterly meaningless because many important commitments happen in the fall and winter. Josh Allen was a late commitment who actually hurt our 2015 class ranking because the online gurus thought he was a weak addition. LOL! If that doesn't improve your insight into the accuracy of class rankings, then I guess nothing will.

UK's current 2024 recruiting class-

Cutter Boley, QB, Lexington, KY
Lorenzo Cowan, LB, Savannah, GA
Hardley Gilmore, WR, Pahokee, FL
Elijah Groves, LB, Cross Plains, TN
Hayes Johnson, OL, Campbellsville, KY
Jacob Kauwe, K/P, Billings, MT
Jadon Lafontant, OL, Greenwich, CT
Jiquavious Marshall, DB, Macon, GA
Tovani Mizell, RB, Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Terhyon Nichols, DB, Cincinnati, OH
Caleb Redd, LB, St. Louis, MI
Willie Rodriguez, TE, Alexandria, KY
Quaysheed Scott, DB, Marion, SC
Aba Selm, OL, Independence, KY
Antwan Smith, LB/DB, Atlanta, GA
Jacob Smith, LB, Corbin, KY
Jerod Smith, DL, Corbin, KY
Steven Soles, LB, Powell, TN
David Washington, slotR, Philadelphia, PA

As I and others have said all along, this is a strong class. Next up is Devin Smith who will choose between UK and LSU on Sept. 22. Steve Wiltfong is predicting Brian Robinson to UK, and that could happen at anytime. Robinson is the most important prospect on UK's recruiting board, and has been all along. Also out there is WR prospect Kamron Mikell, scheduled to OV UK on Oct. 28. UK's coaches are still trying to flip DT Artavius Jones from Miami and WR Rico Scott from AL.

I wonder if there is a limit on how many Smiths the school can sign.
I have been critical of the recruiting cycle not because I didn't believe they would eventually pull some big fish but more because of the guys they were taking commitments from. The class can be split in half essentially. There is the top 8 guys which are roughly top 500-600 players: Smith, Smith, Boley, Nichols, Groves, Gilmore, Marshall and Mizell. Devin Smith and Robinson could join that group as well. All those guys are highly rated and have stacked offer sheets. Most pass the eye test and pop on film. Boley has been a little dissapointing but he was always going to be a take because of him being in UK and him having all the traits of guy that could be an NFL player if he pans out.

Then there is the bottom half of the class that I am pretty split on. I think Selm and Rodriguez are both underrated guys that should move up rankings and just don't get the recognition because they are not at the big camps and they play high school football in Kentucky. Lafontant feels like a diamond in the rough and a guy that the staff loved. He is also an IOL and that is a position where I think recruiting rankings matter less and a position I trust the staff's judgement.

After those guys if any of the players decommit I do not consider it a loss. And I think there a couple kids that are clear reaches and just don't understand Kentucky taking. Looking at the last 5-6 years of high school recruiting when Kentucky takes low/mid three star players not from their main recruiting base Kentucky, or familiar Ohio areas (Cincinnati, Columbus, Dayton, Youngstown) or that don't have a connection to the program (legacy, originally from the state, etc) the hit rate on players is crazy low. I think there are a half dozen kids that fit this criteria in this class and that was/is a concern for me.

I have been critical of the recruiting cycle not because I didn't believe they would eventually pull some big fish but more because of the guys they were taking commitments from. The class can be split in half essentially. There is the top 8 guys which are roughly top 500-600 players: Smith, Smith, Boley, Nichols, Groves, Gilmore, Marshall and Mizell. Devin Smith and Robinson could join that group as well. All those guys are highly rated and have stacked offer sheets. Most pass the eye test and pop on film. Boley has been a little dissapointing but he was always going to be a take because of him being in UK and him having all the traits of guy that could be an NFL player if he pans out.

Then there is the bottom half of the class that I am pretty split on. I think Selm and Rodriguez are both underrated guys that should move up rankings and just don't get the recognition because they are not at the big camps and they play high school football in Kentucky. Lafontant feels like a diamond in the rough and a guy that the staff loved. He is also an IOL and that is a position where I think recruiting rankings matter less and a position I trust the staff's judgement.

After those guys if any of the players decommit I do not consider it a loss. And I think there a couple kids that are clear reaches and just don't understand Kentucky taking. Looking at the last 5-6 years of high school recruiting when Kentucky takes low/mid three star players not from their main recruiting base Kentucky, or familiar Ohio areas (Cincinnati, Columbus, Dayton, Youngstown) or that don't have a connection to the program (legacy, originally from the state, etc)

Do you remember Kenneth Horsey's and D'Eryk Jackson's player rankings? Khalil Saunders? Jalen Geiger? This coaching staff has sold me. When they want a player, I take the player seriously.

UF/Napier would need a colossal collapse to get fired. They have their best recruiting class in a decade committed, so they’ll keep him around for another season at least.

If they are concerned with keeping the recruiting class, they might as well keep him for 2 more years. The likelihood of those freshman contributing in '24 is low and if you fire him for '25, they can just enter the portal.

Do you remember Kenneth Horsey's and D'Eryk Jackson's player rankings? Khalil Saunders? Jalen Geiger? This coaching staff has sold me. When they want a player, I take the player seriously.
You named the only 4 that have panned out. I can name 20 that did not. The reality is the vast majority of contributors on this team are kids local to Kentucky/Ohio, High 3 star/4 star recruiting wins, and transfers. The hit rate on low/mid 3 stars going back to 2018 is under 25% and I don't understand the logic of the coaching
staff to have half your class fit that mold

How about:
Marvin Alexander
Allen Dailey
Davoan Hawkins
Jamari Brown
Nick Lewis
Jerquavion Mahone
Bryce Oliver
Taj Dodson
Travis Tisdale
Marquez Bembry
Nik Ognenovic
Tra Willkins
Amani Gilmore
Nik Scalzo
Demarcus Harris
RJ Adams
Earnest Sanders
Kalil Branham
Josh Jones
Adrian Huey
Devonte Ross
Martez Thrower

Reactions: C.W.S.pipesealer
^ Here are just my thoughts on recruits that don’t work out. First, every team has a list of players similar to the one you listed of players who didn’t develop into game day contributors. Recruit and develop is backbone of our team which are players who contribute in years 3-5. As recruiting improves, more young players get earlier Pt. It will also push out some developmental players if they’re in same position group.

I think Stoops and Marrow will always take some fliers on potential developmental players if the player has the measurables they’re looking for in a position.

The transfer portal now makes it easier (and maybe more desirable) to fill an open position if the player leaves the program.

I agree with you that our “hit rate” is better on lower ranked players out of Ohio. Our connections there create opportunities for Marrow to see/hear what other schools do not get to see.

Stoops will always try to keep a recruiting door open in Ga, Ala, Fla, and the DMV. He doesn’t have the connections with HS programs there like they do in Ohio and Mich, but they’ll keep taking a few chances so they are in conversations when a Trevin Wallace situation occurs.

Just my thoughts.

^ Here are just my thoughts on recruits that don’t work out. First, every team has a list of players similar to the one you listed of players who didn’t develop into game day contributors. Recruit and develop is backbone of our team which are players who contribute in years 3-5. As recruiting improves, more young players get earlier Pt. It will also push out some developmental players if they’re in same position group.

I think Stoops and Marrow will always take some fliers on potential developmental players if the player has the measurables they’re looking for in a position.

The transfer portal now makes it easier (and maybe more desirable) to fill an open position if the player leaves the program.

I agree with you that our “hit rate” is better on lower ranked players out of Ohio. Our connections there create opportunities for Marrow to see/hear what other schools do not get to see.

Stoops will always try to keep a recruiting door open in Ga, Ala, Fla, and the DMV. He doesn’t have the connections with HS programs there like they do in Ohio and Mich, but they’ll keep taking a few chances so they are in conversations when a Trevin Wallace situation occurs.

Just my thoughts.
Totally agree. The issue with this class for me was always the number of reaches. This class has 8 kids that fit into the category of not from main recruiting base and low ranked. Some of these kids didn't have the greatest offer sheet either. This class seems to have the most kids that I would consider reaches since the 2019 class and we saw how that panned out.

Now the good news is the staff has loaded the top end of this class and that significantly raises the floor. Would love to see 4-5 guys in the bottom of the class blow up over the next few months with monster senior seasons.

Would love to see 4-5 guys in the bottom of the class blow up over the next few months with monster senior seasons.
I expect to see 3-4 of these players wearing UK jerseys in 3 years and for 3-4 players to transfer out after 1-2 years. I'm guessing this is same for most every school, but I admit to not knowing the statistics for avg # of players from each class that leave.

I think Hairston is a good example. (Probably more of what you're saying.) He was barely top 20 in Michigan, but it we seem to find better developmental players in this footprint. It looks like he's going to be a key contributor his last 2 years at UK. He had the measurables Stoops likes in a DB.

I realize recruiting is more than just about the specific player. Yes, the player needs to show something worthy of an opportunity. But, college coaches are also targeting relationships with regions and specific highschool coaches.

It'll be interesting to see how this class finishes. I saw a tweet that Barstools had Rico Scott on flip alert to UK. I can't tell if they're drumming up business or if there's anything solid behind their tweet.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT