ADVERTISEMENT

State of 2024 Recruiting

Knowing that a "flip" to UK would be EXTREMELY beneficial for those 2 becoming eligible, it seems RIDICULOUS for the Corbin HC to say this on Twitter(X)!!!!
Maybe, if you assume they actually do want to flip to UK. You and I would like to see that happen, but I am not convinced yet. Still believe the two brothers may not be on the same page. When it comes to recruiting, I try not to get my hopes up.

But in the context of the question posed, even if Keyes is a RB now, does his arrival shut down RB recruiting in our 2024 class? IDK. Our 2024 RB room would be DSK, Wright, Wilcox, Mizell, and Keys. Is that enough for Coen and Boulware? Could be, but that assumes Keyes is ready by then to contribute in an SEC spread offense and no attrition from the room between now and then. The chance of outbound transfers is constant concern now.
no doubt things can change
after he left Wake he was very seriously looking at Marshal, which is only about 20 minutes from Ironton
it is also where his uncle Curtis played DB

^ Kid seems a bit confused/conflicted.
i think most of them are during their recruitment
a lot of pressure is put on them from a lot of places, coaches included
we have always seen a lot of flips, back when we only had one NSD it was fun watching the surprise flips

Reactions: EKCAT4YRS
i think most of them are during their recruitment
a lot of pressure is put on them from a lot of places, coaches included
we have always seen a lot of flips, back when we only had one NSD it was fun watching the surprise flips
It still is. And I suspect we will see a head spinning number of flips this fall.

Reactions: mebeblue2
Don't put any stock into the Corbin coach tweet. I know how the context appeared but he literally just meant that there has been no flip yet. He's not a big social media guy and probably doesn't worry about context matching the article.

As for the twins, if eligible pretty sure that they will be Cats. There probably is some truth to them being a little divided on fist choice but UK being the common ground school that they both like. I don't know but I've heard Jerod liked Michigan and Jacob liked ND and Nebraska more but both liked UK. They come from a UK family home. It's just a hold up with the covid 5th year waiver thing. KY is only state that required one but they moved out of state where one wasn't needed. They wanted to come back home and play with their friend who happened to move to Corbin. KHSAA shouldn't punish kids for not signing a waiver when they weren't in KY at the time. People who matter are working on their behalf to the KHSAA. Not hard to figure out who.

What if he profiles as a S rather than a CB? NFL safeties take a beating in run support and tend to have shorter careers. Not everyone has the hips and flexibility to play CB in the NFL or the SEC.
Of course. I know only what I can read here and a few other places and sometimes make sweeping generalizations despite my known ignorance. I was merely commenting on the binary choice of avg NFL level CB vs avg NFL level WR. Without any other variables CB is typically going to make a lot more money.

Of course. I know only what I can read here and a few other places and sometimes make sweeping generalizations despite my known ignorance. I was merely commenting on the binary choice of avg NFL level CB vs avg NFL level WR. Without any other variables CB is typically going to make a lot more money.
In any case, Kamron Mikell is still scheduled to OV on September 8. If UK somehow manages to come from behind and sign him, that would happen at least in part because Stoops and Coen are willing to give him his shot as a WR. This kid is used to being a playmaker. That's his competitive temperament. Every player is different.

Reactions: satcheluk
In any case, Kamron Mikell is still scheduled to OV on September 8. If UK somehow manages to come from behind and sign him, that would happen at least in part because Stoops and Coen are willing to give him his shot as a WR. This kid is used to being a playmaker. That's his competitive temperament. Every player is different.

I don't think UK is behind, he wants to play WR, UK is recruiting him as a WR. UGA is recruiting his as a CB, which he doesn't want to play. With the history of DBs getting drafted the evaluation and development of DBs is pretty spot on. In the last 4 years double digit have been drafted.

I don't think UK is behind, he wants to play WR, UK is recruiting him as a WR. UGA is recruiting his as a CB, which he doesn't want to play. With the history of DBs getting drafted the evaluation and development of DBs is pretty spot on. In the last 4 years double digit have been drafted.
Hope we benefit from his insistence to be a receiver. But ya if Kirby thinks you’d make a good corner, there’s probably a reason for it and it’d be worth giving it a shot.

Hope we benefit from his insistence to be a receiver. But ya if Kirby thinks you’d make a good corner, there’s probably a reason for it and it’d be worth giving it a shot.

It is what it is, would like to add him to our class, but he wants to be a WR. He is a gifted athlete. Statesboro was a state power at one time but relaxed transfer rules have not been their friend. Just seems the GHSA makes rulings to favor metro schools. Buford is building a 50m HS stadium, without tax money, that's nuts. They will have 3 stadiums that seat 10k+, one for middle school., one for JV and the new one for varsity.

GA is the home state school. GA is recruiting Mikell as a DB. Not necessarily a CB. Kirby needs DBs. In the SEC, most DB recruits seem to end up as safeties. Only the most flexible, quickest, and best leapers can make it as a CB. At the end of the day Mikell sees himself as a GA Bulldog or else he doesn't. If being a GA Bulldog is a priority for him, then GA will be almost impossible to beat regardless of his preconceived notions about position. But if he wants to be a playmaker, then UK probably has a good chance as long as Mikell shows in Lexington on September 8. That's how we will know if we are really in it. If he doesn't show for the OV, forget it. But if he makes the OV, then we have a shot.

GA is the home state school. GA is recruiting Mikell as a DB. Not necessarily a CB. Kirby needs DBs. In the SEC, most DB recruits seem to end up as safeties. Only the most flexible, quickest, and best leapers can make it as a CB. At the end of the day Mikell sees himself as a GA Bulldog or else he doesn't. If being a GA Bulldog is a priority for him, then GA will be almost impossible to beat regardless of his preconceived notions about position. But if he wants to be a playmaker, then UK probably has a good chance as long as Mikell shows in Lexington on September 8. That's how we will know if we are really in it. If he doesn't show for the OV, forget it. But if he makes the OV, then we have a shot.

He is from Georgia, but like kids in other states thst produce multiple D1 prospects staying home isn't a big priority. Yes he is being recruited as a CB, not S. He has been to Athens multiple times, if he had any interest in playing CB he would be in the class today. Have a shot, UK is the favorite, one to look out for is AU if he takes another visit there because Freeze will tell him what he wants to hear.

Reactions: hmt5000
This is how I see it. We have Dane Key, Barion Brown, Anthony Brown, and Shamar Porter but everyone knows we need more young WR depth for Coach Coen's offense. WR prospects know they will see the field early at UK if they practice well. We have a verbal commitment from David Washington but we need 1-2 more receivers in the class. Currently, Mikell is the only uncommitted WR prospect with a scheduled OV to Lexington. Obviously, then, Coach Coen is putting a lot of eggs in that basket. I am not buying the suggestion that UK is the favorite for Mikell. We aren't. But if he shows in Lexington for his OV, we will be squarely in it. And this guy can really play. He has size, speed, and competitive drive. If our coaches can pull it off, this would be a big win for us. I expect Mikell's recruitment to stretch into the latter fall.

Last edited:
Justin Rowland has now entered a futurecast to UK for RB prospect Travis Kerney out of Sebring, FL. Rowland is a sharp analyst who seldom gets out too far over his skis. Rumor has it that Kerney will announce his decision around the Labor Day weekend. His current offer sheet is less impressive than his football story. His best performance came during his sophomore season at Sebring hs when he rushed for 1,038 yards and 12 TDs on 165 carries. The level of competition there is strong. Last year, Kerney had a couple of big games with >150 rushing yards but evidently missed some playing time. I assume that occurred because of an injury but IDK. In any case, this may account for his current modest offer sheet. He is sturdily built at 5'11" 205# and has been a standout in the 400y dash and long jump for Sebring hs's track team. He is one of the best in Sebring hs's district in the 400y. So, in terms of athletic tools and size, Kerney is an interesting prospect, like a hs version of CRod with more speed if you want to look at it that way. He was offered by Coach Boulware on April 20, so our coaches have been after him for a while FWIW.

I'll take it!

Justin Rowland has now entered a futurecast to UK for RB prospect Travis Kerney out of Sebring, FL. Rowland is a sharp analyst who seldom gets out too far over his skis. Rumor has it that Kerney will announce his decision around the Labor Day weekend. His current offer sheet is less impressive than his football story. His best performance came during his sophomore season at Sebring hs when he rushed for 1,038 yards and 12 TDs on 165 carries. The level of competition there is strong. Last year, Kerney had a couple of big games with >150 rushing yards but evidently missed some playing time. I assume that occurred because of an injury but IDK. In any case, this may account for his current modest offer sheet. He is sturdily built at 5'11" 205# and has been a standout in the 400y dash and long jump for Sebring hs's track team. He is one of the best in Sebring hs's district in the 400y. So, in terms of athletic tools and size, Kerney is an interesting prospect, like a hs version of CRod with more speed if you want to look at it that way. He was offered by Coach Boulware on April 20, so our coaches have been after him for a while FWIW.
Unless somethimg changed, Rowland put in the FC after talking to Kearney a couple weeks ago. He said two days ago that Kearney was making his decision pretty quick. He said he went back and checked and doesn't think he is currently a take. That seems weird after they gave him the official written offer. I guess we will have to see what happens

Unless somethimg changed, Rowland put in the FC after talking to Kearney a couple weeks ago. He said two days ago that Kearney was making his decision pretty quick. He said he went back and checked and doesn't think he is currently a take. That seems weird after they gave him the official written offer. I guess we will have to see what happens
Thanks. The only factor that has recently changed was Jaquez Keyes' transfer. Maybe that comes into play here. With 15 known commitments, our 2024 class is well over half full, and remaining scholarships will have to be accounted for carefully. As discussed, Kerney's offer sheet is not impressive. But a 5'11" 205# track star and workhorse rusher from a competitive district in FL is interesting. Right now, we have DSK, Wright, Wilcox, Mizell, and Keyes in our 2024 RB room. That assumes nobody transfers out or gets seriously hurt in the meantime. It is pretty fascinating how our coaches make these decisions. I would guess OT, WR, DL, and ILB are probably considered our highest recruiting priorities. I'm sure a lot of analysis goes into every scholarship.

Last edited:
Reactions: GH_UKBBN92
The only factor that has recently changed was Jaquez Keyes' transfer. Maybe that comes into play here. With 15 known commitments, our 2024 class is well over half full, and remaining scholarships will have to be accounted for carefully. As discussed, Kerney's offer sheet is not impressive. But a 5'11" 205# track star and workhorse rusher from a competitive district in FL is interesting. Right now, we have DSK, Wright, Wilcox, Mizell, and Keyes in our 2024 RB room. That assumes nobody transfers out or gets seriously hurt. It is pretty fascinating how our coaches make these decisions. I would guess OT, WR, DL, and ILB are probably considered our highest recruiting priorities. I'm sure a lot of analysis goes into every scholarship.
And they have to save a few for the portal. They will have a few needs to address in the portal.

Reactions: Rembrandt90
And they have to save a few for the portal. They will have a few needs to address in the portal.
Yes, as always.

I am in the camp that tends to believe our coaches will identify more true OT prospects and-or create some flips during the fall. But if that doesn't happen, bringing in multiple OTs through the portal during the next offseason will become mandatory. Marques Cox and Jeremy Flax are seniors. Nik Hall is hurt bad enough to miss the 2023 season, so he cannot be counted on. Deonte Buford and David Wohlabaugh recently transferred out, and Josh Jones apparently gave up football due to injuries. Courtland Ford should return, and I think Ben Christman can play anywhere on the OL. But even if Malachi Wood develops into a legitimate SEC OT, we will still be way too thin at OT unless at least a couple more are added somehow.

Yes, as always.

I am in the camp that tends to believe our coaches will identify more true OT prospects and-or create some flips during the fall. But if that doesn't happen, bringing in multiple OTs through the portal during the next offseason will become mandatory. Marques Cox and Jeremy Flax are seniors. Nik Hall is hurt bad enough to miss the 2023 season, so he cannot be counted on. Deonte Buford and David Wohlabaugh recently transferred out, and Josh Jones apparently gave up football due to injuries. Courtland Ford should return, and I think Ben Christman can play anywhere on the OL. But even if Malachi Wood develops into a legitimate SEC OT, we will still be way too thin at OT unless at least a couple more are added somehow.
100% they have said Hall's injury could be career ending. I read Christman started out at RT and they determined he was a guard all the way. Hopefully they add at least one from the portal ready to play

100% they have said Hall's injury could be career ending. I read Christman started out at RT and they determined he was a guard all the way. Hopefully they add at least one from the portal ready to play
For sure. But I think we will need to find more than one more OT.

I have seen reports that Christman is receiving practice reps at both OGs and both OTs. I suspect this is a product of significant lack of depth at OT, and not because Christman is necessarily an ideal OT. If two out of Flax, Ford, and M. Cox get injured (HFB), someone else would have to play. Hall is out. And it can't be Wood at 6'8" 290#. His playing days are at least two years off. I am hearing Christman is longer, stronger, and more athletic than Bowles. So they have to get Christman ready, just in case. But Christman's future is probably as Horsey's heir at LG.

I have seen reports that Christman is receiving practice reps at both OGs and both OTs. I suspect this is a product of significant lack of depth at OT, and not because Christman is necessarily an ideal OT. If two out of Flax, Ford, and M. Cox get injured (HFB), someone else would have to play. Hall is out. And it can't be Wood at 6'8" 290#. His playing days are at least two years off. I am hearing Christman is longer, stronger, and more athletic than Bowles. So they have to get Christman ready, just in case. But Christman's future is probably as Horsey's heir at LG.
I suspect Dylan Ray will be the fourth OT.

They def need more than one. I was meaning even if they find a couple HS they still need a plug and play OT and 2-3 would be better

So does that mean he will end up at Ohio State ?
Ohio state has never offered him. It has long been thought that if they really wanted him, they would be hard to beat. It was reported by UM insiders that Harbaugh sched a call with Robinson this week and was trying to get back in. They lost Rudolph plus the twins possibly decommitting also. Many think Robinson is holding out for the OSU offer. Who knows what he will do

So does that mean he will end up at Ohio State ?
No. Actually, MI is the B10 program stepping up their recruitment of him now. But as I said earlier this week, I expect his recruitment to stretch into the fall. It's tough to speculate whether current events are helping or hurting UK's case because of the likelihood of so much stuff happening behind the scenes.

I continue to believe Robinson is the most important uncommitted prospect on UK's recruiting board, although I am warming up to Kamron Mikell ahead of his upcoming OV. So let's just say Robinson is our most important uncommitted defensive prospect. If the football gods are looking favorably on Coach White, addition of Robinson to our 2024 class would be our most important defensive signing since Josh Allen, even though we didn't know at the time what we ultimately had in Allen. From what I know and have seen on highlight recordings, Robinson is probably a better prospect than JJ Weaver was. That's saying a lot, because Weaver is a very good edge player for us.

No. Actually, MI is the B10 program stepping up their recruitment of him now. But as I said earlier this week, I expect his recruitment to stretch into the fall. It's tough to speculate whether current events are helping or hurting UK's case because of the likelihood of so much stuff happening behind the scenes.

I continue to believe Robinson is the most important uncommitted prospect on UK's recruiting board, although I am warming up to Kamron Mikell ahead of his upcoming OV. So let's just say Robinson is our most important uncommitted defensive prospect. If the football gods are looking favorably on Coach White, addition of Robinson to our 2024 class would be our most important defensive signing since Josh Allen, even though we didn't know at the time what we ultimately had in Allen. From what I know and have seen on highlight recordings, Robinson is probably a better prospect than JJ Weaver was. That's saying a lot, because Weaver is a very good edge player for us.
Do you predict the twins end up here ?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT