ADVERTISEMENT

State of 2024 Recruiting

The Smiths are also rans in Ann Arbor, they have the potential to be huge impact players at UK
They are definitely not also rans in Ann Arbor, or else they would not have been offered by Harbaugh. But roster math is complicated for every coach. It is a zero sum game. Harbaugh has only so many scholarships. Right now, Harbaugh has at least 27 verbal commitments and he is still recruiting a handful of key uncommitted prospects. Somebody has to lose their offer. If Harbaugh isn't confident the twins will follow through, it would be sensible for him to consider pulling their offers. Edge is a strong position in his current class even if he doesn't sign Jacob. Math-wise Jerod is tougher for him to lose but not unmanageable. But these are tough decisions involving highly recruited prospects who can impact programs, and we can just hope that a couple more good ones end up in our class.

I started another thread on this topic but should have put it on this one. Are we recruiting any Lexington area Srs such as J.T. Haskins, Demeco Kennedy, Zuri Madison, or Jeremiah Lowe ? Thanks
Madison is an AR commit. He was asked by Vince Marrow to attend UK camp in June but he didn't show. So we can forget about him until he plays in an AR uniform against us.

Haskins has not been recruited by UK at all. Too small.

Lowe has an interesting offer sheet but he is smaller than the typical CBs who have been successful in Coach White's 3-3-5. At this point, there does not appear to be mutual interest. At one time he was talking with MI, but their class is full.

Here is the thing about Demeco Kennedy, who is still in touch with Coach Marrow. Right now, he isn't a take. Stoops will take 2-3 defensive linemen in this class if he can get the guys he wants. Kennedy will not be taken by Stoops as an OG because we already have plenty of OGs with higher ceilings. (BTW Austin Ramsey is on campus now.) Kennedy is also an interesting DE prospect, good enough to win combine awards and good enough to be targeted by several B10 programs. He doesn't have the ceiling of Brian Robinson or several other big edge defenders Stoops would prefer to sign. But if we get to December and Stoops still doesn't have any defensive linemen (unlikely), and if Kennedy is still available (also unlikely), at that stage of the recruiting cycle a coach must decide what to do with his remaining scholarships. I don't see UK and Kennedy matching up. But if Kennedy has a breakout senior season at Frederick Douglass and UK still has an open defensive scholarship, much stranger things have happened.

Reactions: satcheluk
Madison is an AR commit. He was asked by Vince Marrow to attend UK camp in June but he didn't show. So we can forget about him until he plays in an AR uniform against us.

Lowe has an interesting offer sheet but he is smaller than the typical CBs who have been successful in Coach White's 3-3-5. At this point, there does not appear to be mutual interest. At one time he was talking with MI, but their class is full.

Here is the thing about Demeco Kennedy, who is still in touch with Coach Marrow. Right now, he isn't a take. Stoops will take 2-3 defensive linemen in this class if he can get the guys he wants. Kennedy will not be taken by Stoops as an OG because we already have plenty of OGs with higher ceilings. (BTW Austin Ramsey is on campus now.) Kennedy is also an interesting DE prospect, good enough to win combine awards and good enough to be targeted by several B10 programs. He doesn't have the ceiling of Brian Robinson or several other big edge defenders Stoops would prefer to sign. But if we get to December and Stoops still doesn't have any defensive linemen (unlikely), and if Kennedy is still available (also unlikely), at that stage of the recruiting cycle a coach must decide what to do with his remaining scholarships. I don't see UK and Kennedy matching up. But if Kennedy has a breakout senior season at Frederick Douglass and UK still has an open defensive scholarship, much stranger things have happened.
Thanks for the update

Lowe announces next week. I read he would be a Michigan take. Idk much about him but interesting UM has beat UK in most head to head battles, then takes a Lex kid UK doesn't want.

any recruits at the practice today ?
IDK but if I was Vince Marrow, fan day is probably not when I would bring in recruiting targets. Fan day is an annual public relations exercise that sucks up the attention of the coordinators. The coordinators spend a lot of time with the media. When you recruit, you want the attention of the coordinators to be on visiting recruiting targets.

Lowe announces next week. I read he would be a Michigan take. Idk much about him but interesting UM has beat UK in most head to head battles, then takes a Lex kid UK doesn't want.
That's true but I get the feeling that Stoops and White are looking for a certain type of CB. I have seen a series of highly rated CB prospects like Yusuf Corker come to UK and get moved to safety. We use a lot of zone coverages and Stoops likes length on the corners of the defense. Thus we recruit Jiquavious Marshall as a CB. And BTW, Terhyon Nichols will be a star in Coach White's system. I have been watching film and reading high quality scouting reports on Nichols. He has elite quickness, athleticism, and flexibility. Very underrated.

As things stand now, strongest positions in our 2024 class appear to be-

QB
RB
OG
OLB
CB

Positions that need more restocking in our 2024 class include-

WR
OT
DL
ILB
S

We also need to acquire a second RB to go along with Mizell, because it is likely that Davis, McClain, and Jefferson are done after the 2023 season.

Meanwhile, there hasn't been any public news about the Smith twins subsequent to their two recent UVs to Lexington. I interpret this to mean that they are still in the option evaluation phase of their recruitment and haven't decided what they will do next. And no recent news about Brian Robinson since he left the Fitch hs football team. Those recruitments may very well stretch into the fall.

Kamron Mikell, Amontrae Bradford, and Lorenzo Cowan are still scheduled to OV UK on September 8, the weekend of the UK-EKU game. It will be interesting to see if any other recruiting targets join them that weekend.

That's true but I get the feeling that Stoops and White are looking for a certain type of CB. I have seen a series of highly rated CB prospects like Yusuf Corker come to UK and get moved to safety. We use a lot of zone coverages and Stoops likes length on the corners of the defense. Thus we recruit Jiquavious Marshall as a CB. And BTW, Terhyon Nichols will be a star in Coach White's system. I have been watching film and reading high quality scouting reports on Nichols. He has elite quickness, athleticism, and flexibility. Very underrated.
I understand why UK didn't take him. It just seemed weird UM is with 27 commits. We will see if it is true but Rowland said he heard he was def a take for them.

Reactions: Rembrandt90
I understand why UK didn't take him. It just seemed weird UM is with 27 commits. We will see if it is true but Rowland said he heard he was def a take for them.
Stoops definitely targeted Terhyon Nichols, one of the top prospects in our class. Nichols is a really big get for us, both as a CB and as a Cincinnati product. They appeared happy to get Jiquavious Marshall, and now we have two CBs in the class. We could use one more safety, but Lowe does not have the build or the size of an SEC safety. Clinkscale probably has a relationship with Lowe from his days in Lexington. From what I know, Lowe is a respectable prospect. But I wouldn't trade Nichols or Marshall for him.

By now, most of our recruiting-oriented fans know Jalewis Solomon picked Auburn over the weekend. As predicted. For those who may not know this, Solomon's brother Zykevious Walker is a defensive lineman at Auburn. So Auburn had an advantage. Coach Collins made a great effort to recruit him and actually got him on campus for an OV.

Reactions: Girthang
2024 UK recruiting update.

WR Hardley Gilmore, scheduled to announce his college choice on August 25, could become UK's next 2024 commitment.

Recent reports suggest Coach Boulware may be trying to rekindle UK's recruitment of uncommitted 5-10 205# RB prospect Travis Kearney from Sebring hs in Sebring, FL. Kearney runs the 400m dash and performs in the long jump for Sebring hs's track team. UK is Kearney's only Power 5 offer but he appears to have legitimate size and athletic tools.

I still don't get the feeling that Brian Robinson is near a public announcement. Haven't heard anything about the Smith twins since their last UV to Lexington several weeks ago.

LB Amontrae Bradford, LB Lorenzo Cowan, and WR Kamron Mikell are still scheduled to OV UK on September 8 for the EKU game.

Reactions: Fadhi and UKfirst
Would love to get another RB in this class. It’ll be interesting to see where BR ends up finishing his hs career.

2024 UK recruiting update.

WR Hardley Gilmore, scheduled to announce his college choice on August 25, could become UK's next 2024 commitment.

Recent reports suggest Coach Boulware may be trying to rekindle UK's recruitment of uncommitted 5-10 205# RB prospect Travis Kearney from Sebring hs in Sebring, FL. Kearney runs the 400m dash and performs in the long jump for Sebring hs's track team. UK is Kearney's only Power 5 offer but he appears to have legitimate size and athletic tools.

I still don't get the feeling that Brian Robinson is near a public announcement. Haven't heard anything about the Smith twins since their last UV to Lexington several weeks ago.

LB Amontrae Bradford, LB Lorenzo Cowan, and WR Kamron Mikell are still scheduled to OV UK on September 8 for the EKU game.

UG is recruiting Mikell pretty hard, but as a DB. Word is he wants to play WR, Don't think he is very open to DB, so our chances are great.

UG is recruiting Mikell pretty hard, but as a DB. Word is he wants to play WR,

That's correct. Mikell is a QB in a run oriented offense at Statesboro hs. He would reportedly prefer to play WR at the next level, and he has the right build and skills for it.

That's correct. Mikell is a QB in a run oriented offense at Statesboro hs. He would reportedly prefer to play WR at the next level, and he has the right build and skills for it.

Yes he does, has a chance to be successful at either position. But UGA, for whatever reason I don't know, likes him on the defensive side of the ball. Good hs player with the opportunity to be successful at several positions. Statesboro was a power program in their classification several years ago with multiple deep runs in the playoffs with a couple state championships and sent multiple players to different SEC programs. I don't think he ends up in Athens.

Yes he does, has a chance to be successful at either position. But UGA, for whatever reason I don't know, likes him on the defensive side of the ball. Good hs player with the opportunity to be successful at several positions. Statesboro was a power program in their classification several years ago with multiple deep runs in the playoffs with a couple state championships and sent multiple players to different SEC programs. I don't think he ends up in Athens.
UK needs at least one more high caliber WR in this class. We have a talented WR room, but not a tremendous amount of depth. Mikell would be an ideal fit. He is scheduled to OV here on September 8.

UK needs at least one more high caliber WR in this class. We have a talented WR room, but not a tremendous amount of depth. Mikell would be an ideal fit. He is scheduled to OV here on September 8.

Wasn't sure about your depth but kneew the front liners were excellent WR group. I like the alot. Most likely UK's top returning offensive group, maybe not with transfers counted in.

What is the situation with these local kids from Fred Douglass HS here in Lexington that have commited to other D-1 schools and from what I am reading supposedly we are not recruiting them ?

What is the situation with these local kids from Fred Douglass HS here in Lexington that have commited to other D-1 schools and from what I am reading supposedly we are not recruiting them ?
Each is a different player with different considerations. Who do you have in mind? A number of Frederick Douglass hs alumni are on UK's roster. They do not get offered by UK unless our coaches assess that it's best for our program. If Demeco Kennedy or Jeremiah Lowe were considered to be at the top of UK's recruiting board in terms of talent and fit, they would have gotten committable offers. I can say, for example, that Coach Marrow invited Zuri Madison to a UK camp in June, but Madison did not show. That is not the way to get a committable offer. Our coaches consider makeup and reliability an important part of a player's set of necessary traits. So now Madison is a Razorback. Lowe has committed to MI, so he apparently has an ongoing relationship with Steve Clinkscale. Lowe is a good player, but he does not have the length Stoops and White like for the 3-3-5. To play CB in the SEC requires physicality and reach. Every CB of Lowe's size that UK has signed has eventually transferred or fallen off the playing chart. With Nichols and Marshall on board, UK's 2024 CB scholarships are full.

Each is a different player with different considerations. Who do you have in mind? A number of Frederick Douglass hs alumni are on UK's roster. They do not get offered by UK unless our coaches assess that it's best for our program. If Demeco Kennedy or Jeremiah Lowe were considered to be at the top of UK's recruiting board in terms of talent and fit, they would have gotten committable offers. I can say, for example, that Coach Marrow invited Zuri Madison to a UK camp in June, but Madison did not show. That is not the way to get a committable offer. Our coaches consider makeup and reliability an important part of a player's set of necessary traits. So now Madison is a Razorback. Lowe has committed to MI, so he apparently has an ongoing relationship with Steve Clinkscale. Lowe is a good player, but he does not have the length Stoops and White like for the 3-3-5. To play CB in the SEC requires physicality and reach. Every CB of Lowe's size that UK has signed has eventually transferred or fallen off the playing chart. With Nichols and Marshall on board, UK's 2024 CB scholarships are full.
Not to disagree because that is what they like. Though Brandin Eschols did pretty good at CB for UK. They had their reasons they didn't recruut Lowe and I am sure they made the rigjt one. Eschols was good and only listed at 5'10

Not to disagree because that is what they like. Though Brandin Eschols did pretty good at CB for UK. They had their reasons they didn't recruut Lowe and I am sure they made the rigjt one. Eschols was good and only listed at 5'10
Echols has plus speed and excellent cover skills.

Just heard that the Smith twins are now eligible to play for Corbin. Hopefully, the coaching staff along with the BBN will convince them to switch to UK!!!

Just a month ago

Everyone on here was wigging out over the

Have a little faith baby, have a little faith

Do you think the twins getting eligible could mean am imminent commit to us ?
No. The two issues are only related in a very peripheral way, if at all. But Jacob and Jerod have to get on the same page. I am inclined to believe some intervening event or decision has hurt Harbaugh's relationship with the twins, but IDK that for sure. All we can confidently say now is that UK's chances, whatever they may be, are better now than they were 6 weeks ago. FWIW, I am watching this with interest, but do not expect a quick resolution. It will happen when it happens. This is the nature of recruiting.

Last edited:
Just heard that the Smith twins are now eligible to play for Corbin. Hopefully, the coaching staff along with the BBN will convince them to switch to UK!!!
I have no inside information, but my gut is telling me the twins' recruitment and Brian Robinson's recruitment will probably stretch into the fall. It seems logical to me. Why? There is no rush for them to decide. They have at least another four months. They have a lot of other things going on in their lives right now, they have lots of options, so this probably isn't the smart time to conclude their recruitments. Everyone is different, so maybe I am wrong about this. But there is no reason for them to rush a decision. It just wouldn't seem sensible. Of course, IDK what they are thinking. I can only guess.

I have no inside information, but my gut is telling me the twins' recruitment and Brian Robinson's recruitment will probably stretch into the fall. It seems logical to me. Why? There is no rush for them to decide. They have at least another four months. They have a lot of other things going on in their lives right now, they have lots of options, so this probably isn't the smart time to conclude their recruitments. Everyone is different, so maybe I am wrong about this. But there is no reason for them to rush a decision. It just wouldn't seem sensible. Of course, IDK what they are thinking. I can only guess.
Actually, the twins have already "decided" on UM. BUT, I am hopeful that while they are back in Kentucky playing for Corbin, which is FULL of UK fans, they will be shown that switching to the Cats would be beneficial to them from the moment they did!! Coach Stoops and his staff has been working on doing just that from the MOMENT the kids decided to come back to Corbin. Hope they can bring them to UK!!!

I do agree that it may go right up to signing day with them AND Robinson.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT