ADVERTISEMENT

State of 2024 Recruiting

Tt
You are much too smart to think having a talent pool of in state players like Georgia or Florida wouldn't be a tremendous help in our recruiting. The Bear got a lot of his talent from the coalfields of western Pennsylvania and while I agree with it wholeheartedly UK spearheading the integration in the SEC hurt our recruiting quite a bit. No more classes with Rick Norton, Rodger Bird, Sam Ball, Rick Kestner, all from Kentucky and all among the best in America. It is a shame that our stupid coach ran so many players off and we ended up with the thin thirty when injuries and running players off killed us.

I think our coaches do a tremendous job in recruiting with what they have to work with, including our AD.
I would say you are much too smart to think UK could field a team of KY kids, but I would be lying. Who doesnt wish KY had 50 4 star in state kids but they don't so what is your point?

Reactions: Burgcatfan
Tt

I would say you are much too smart to think UK could field a team of KY kids, but I would be lying. Who doesnt wish KY had 50 4 star in state kids but they don't so what is your point?
The point is that while we will never have a great pool of football prospect in state, we sure need to do better than 3 out of 50.

And as stupid as it is UK actually tried to limit recruiting to Kentucky, I think that is one reason that Collier left. Plus he left to win a super bowl at Cleveland-----before it was the super bowl.

Tt

I would say you are much too smart to think I think UK could or should field a team of Kentucky players but I would be lying.

Last edited:
The point is that while we will never have a great pool of football prospect in state, we sure need to do better than 3 out of 50.

And as stupid as it is UK actually tried to limit recruiting to Kentucky, I think that is one reason that Collier left. Plus he left to win a super bowl at Cleveland-----before it was the super bowl.
Let's get the recruiting thread back to the current century.

Last edited:
Rembrandt,
What are your thoughts on the latest PWO, Crowder?
Thanks.
Checked the publicly available information this morning. There isn't much. He doesn't have an offer sheet, isn't a ranked instate prospect, and doesn't have a page on Rivals, On3, or 247. No discussion of where this 4.4 report came from. In this era of athletics and media coverage, if college coaches aren't recruiting you, that says a lot. I have no respect for the reliability or objectivity of Sea of Blue, a yellow journalism website to put it kindly. So, all we really have is a tweet from Crowder saying he plans to play at UK. A noble ambition, for sure, but it doesn't tell us anything. That about sums it up. Could be a PWO though.

Reactions: hmt5000
Checked the publicly available information this morning. There isn't much. He doesn't have an offer sheet, isn't a ranked instate prospect, and doesn't have a page on Rivals, On3, or 247. No discussion of where this 4.4 report came from. In this era of athletics and media coverage, if college coaches aren't recruiting you, that says a lot. I have no respect for the reliability or objectivity of Sea of Blue, a yellow journalism website to put it kindly. So, all we really have is a tweet from Crowder saying he plans to play at UK. A noble ambition, for sure, but it doesn't tell us anything. That about sums it up. Could be a PWO though.
Rowland confirmed he is PWO. Nothing else really out there

Reactions: Davae9

Actually that is why Bryant left. It was the Kentucky legislature that did that, not UK. Bryant had been getting his best players from Pennsylvania. He said you can’t make a chicken salad without any chickens.

The thing about the Cadillac vs. a cigarette lighter is bogus, perpetuated by media.

Collier was fired.

Reactions: UKat1 and jauk11
Rowland confirmed he is PWO. Nothing else really out there
KSR has an article up confirming it, too. And, for those questioning the 40 time, it was a 4.42 that was clocked at UK’s camp, FWIW. I watched his film & there is potential there, IMO. He looks fast on film & runs with long strides. Hands look solid, but, that’s based on a very limited sample size. But, he is raw & will need time to develop.

The article also mentioned that Glasgow ran a run heavy Wing-T offense, explaining his modest receiving stats. He was listed at 6-4, 195. He had 11 catches for 213 yards last season (19.3 ypc), but, 7 of those 11 catches went for TDs. He also played a little RB, gaining 225 yards on 34 carries (6.6 ypc). He plans on playing WR at UK, according to the article, & will enroll in January. Looks to be well worth taking a chance on, IMO.

^ So if he shows well this season & here in the Spring, might he get schollie if our overall numbers remain low?

Actually that is why Bryant left. It was the Kentucky legislature that did that, not UK. Bryant had been getting his best players from Pennsylvania. He said you can’t make a chicken salad without any chickens.

The thing about the Cadillac vs. a cigarette lighter is bogus, perpetuated by media.

Collier was fired.
Correct on all points. Collier's record got steadily worse as the Bears talent left, but he was a good coach, won an NFL championship at Cleveland after he left UK.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oldtrainer
This is the 2024 UK recruiting thread. Not the 1960 UK football thread. Try to keep up.
You are our best source of recruiting info by far, but I think answering a post should be allowed. Please put me on ignore, might help your blood pressure.

Reactions: treyforuk
You are our best source of recruiting info by far, but I think answering a post should be allowed. Please put me on ignore, might help your blood pressure.
This has nothing to do with my blood pressure. It is about you. First of all, I am not the best source of recruiting information. I am just one of many, and most of the guys on this thread are doing their best to discuss our recruiting class because it is a topic of current interest. You are not one of those sources. So if you want to read the recruiting thread, great. If you want to comment on 2024 recruiting, then please participate. There are many other threads on the board, discussing many other football subjects. So if you really want to talk about Blanton Collier, he has nothing whatsoever to do with our 2024 class. Try to respect the rest of us at least this much. You may not realize this, but many if not most of your posts are obtuse distractions from thread topics if not outright hijackings. This is your established pattern of behavior. It would be appreciated if you can start your own threads rather than hijacking others. Seriously.

Last edited:
Steven Soles, a LB out of Tenn, a 24, was here today on an unofficial, or so says KSR
Soles took a UV here this week. He was supposed to OV here last month but cancelled. ILB body type. Reportedly at least 5 SEC offers although, interestingly, instate TN and Vandy have not offered him. Conventional wisdom is that he likes SCar and VA Tech, although he has not OVed them yet. Hypothetically, Soles would fit in our class because all our other current LB commits have longer edge LB body types.

UK is also recruiting ILB Devin Smith from Brunswick, GA. Smith hasn't scheduled any OVs yet but reportedly holds at least 11 SEC offers.

In 2023, Jayvant Brown was the only ILB we signed. We need to sign either Soles or Smith in our 2024 class although that need might be reduced somewhat if we could get Glover out of the portal.

It's a reason why the Bear left

It's a reason why the Bear left
Again, please try to keep this thread on our 2024 recruiting class. Jauk will be glad to discuss Bear and Blanton Collier all week, but the rest of us are trying to focus this discussion on recruiting. Nobody is saying you can't talk about Bear. Of course you can. But please not on this thread.

Recap of UK's 2024 recruiting board based on current publicly available information. New names will come onto our recruiting radar during the fall. They always do.

QB- Cutter Boley (UK commit)

RB- Tovani Mizell (UK commit), Jason Patterson (UK lean)

TE- Willie Rodriguez (UK commit)

WR- David Washington (UK commit), Hardley Gilmore, Kamron Mikell, Jalewis Solomon, Terence Marshall

OL- Aba Selm (UK commit), Hayes Johnson (UK commit), Jadon Lafondant (UK commit), Malachi Harris, CamRon Warren

DL- Nasir Smith, Demeco Kennedy, Darius Wiley, Isaac Cannazzaro

LB- Caleb Redd (UK commit), Elijah Groves (UK commit), Antwan Smith (UK commit), Brian Robinson, Lorenzo Cowan, Amontrae Bradford, Devin Smith, Steven Soles

DB- Jiquavious Marshall (UK commit), Terhyon Nichols (UK commit), Quaysheed Scott (UK commit), Casey Etienne

K/P- Jacob Kauwe (UK commit)

Recap of UK's 2024 recruiting board based on current publicly available information. New names will come onto our recruiting radar during the fall. They always do.

WR- David Washington (UK commit), Hardley Gilmore, Kamron Mikell, Jalewis Solomon, Terence Marshall

OL- Aba Selm (UK commit), Hayes Johnson (UK commit), Jadon Lafondant (UK commit), Malachi Harris, CamRon Warren

LB- Caleb Redd (UK commit), Elijah Groves (UK commit), Antwan Smith (UK commit), Brian Robinson, Lorenzo Cowan, Amontrae Bradford, Devin Smith, Steven Soles

DB- Jiquavious Marshall (UK commit), Terhyon Nichols (UK commit), Quaysheed Scott (UK commit), Casey Etienne

Rembrandt,
As always, thanks for all your hard work. We really appreciate it!
I noticed that Steven Soles just wrapped up his unofficial visit this week. What is your take on him? Is he a lean? Does he have a committable offer?
Thanks again.

Goes back as far as I can recall. I remember Claiborne questioning why KY HSs didn't have Spring practice and middle school feeder programs. I thought those problems were corrected. There's been a modest increase in prospects in recent years. Was a time when KY produced only a couple of SEC prospects/year. Think that's increased but still behind others. That's why it's important UK includes a 300 mile radius around Lexington as "home" territory.
I graduated from Henry Clay in 89. I would argue the football emphasis is increased dramatically, though I no longer live in KY, so can't get to any youth games, but the number of blue chip recruits has objectively increased. I would also add that the number of blue chip basketball recruits has dropped significantly during this time period. I have old friends who coach HS sports in KY and they tell me KY is a HS football state now, as it has surpassed HS basketball slightly. Of course that is subjective, but none of them coach football, so I feel they don't carry that bias.

I graduated from Henry Clay in 89. I would argue the football emphasis is increased dramatically, though I no longer live in KY, so can't get to any youth games, but the number of blue chip recruits has objectively increased. I would also add that the number of blue chip basketball recruits has dropped significantly during this time period. I have old friends who coach HS sports in KY and they tell me KY is a HS football state now, as it has surpassed HS basketball slightly. Of course that is subjective, but none of them coach football, so I feel they don't carry that bias.
I graduated in 2003 and I would venture to say that on the high school level football was more popular then. At least in Central/ Northern KY. The training kids now have is making a huge difference in talent from the state.

Reactions: satcheluk
Soles took a UV here this week. He was supposed to OV here last month but cancelled. ILB body type. Reportedly at least 5 SEC offers although, interestingly, instate TN and Vandy have not offered him. Conventional wisdom is that he likes SCar and VA Tech, although he has not OVed them yet. Hypothetically, Soles would fit in our class because all our other current LB commits have longer edge LB body types.

UK is also recruiting ILB Devin Smith from Brunswick, GA. Smith hasn't scheduled any OVs yet but reportedly holds at least 11 SEC offers.

In 2023, Jayvant Brown was the only ILB we signed. We need to sign either Soles or Smith in our 2024 class although that need might be reduced somewhat if we could get Glover out of the portal.
I read that he's projected as an edge, despite his listed dimensions. We sent someone down to see him in action in person to see if his lack of measurables disqualified him and he was given the green light. I have no insight other than the one article I read.

Rembrandt,
I noticed that Steven Soles just wrapped up his unofficial visit this week. What is your take on him? Is he a lean? Does he have a committable offer?
Thanks again.
Not Rembrandt but I've seen Soles play. He's a nice player, good athlete who runs well and has some pop. Only negative I saw in him is he sometimes takes off a few plays which could be just youth. Still, he's likely a take depending on what the Smiths do.

I kind of thought the Smith boys wouldn't risk their Michigan rides by visiting here unless they already were trending towards flipping. Fingers crossed, would be awesome if it happens.

Everyone knows where Jones gets his football scoops

Rembrandt,
Thanks again.
Soles has a vommitable offer and Rowland put in a future casr for him uk yesterday

Aren't we in good shape with Malachi Harris, a 6-4 350 OG?

KSR has an article up confirming it, too. And, for those questioning the 40 time, it was a 4.42 that was clocked at UK’s camp, FWIW. I watched his film & there is potential there, IMO. He looks fast on film & runs with long strides. Hands look solid, but, that’s based on a very limited sample size. But, he is raw & will need time to develop.

The article also mentioned that Glasgow ran a run heavy Wing-T offense, explaining his modest receiving stats. He was listed at 6-4, 195. He had 11 catches for 213 yards last season (19.3 ypc), but, 7 of those 11 catches went for TDs. He also played a little RB, gaining 225 yards on 34 carries (6.6 ypc). He plans on playing WR at UK, according to the article, & will enroll in January. Looks to be well worth taking a chance on, IMO.
Dang.... Nice measurables.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT