ADVERTISEMENT

State of 2024 Recruiting

Well, Matt Jones just dropped a bomb - says he thinks we flip the Smith Twins soon.
Jones throws a lot of mud onto the wall to see what sticks. After observing over a period of years, I do not believe he has any reliable sources inside our athletics department. He is wrong more often than he is right. When he is right, he is generally expressing a point of view that was fairly predictable.

No offense to the attorneys. I have friends who are attorneys. But keep in mind that Jones is a Duke trained attorney. He thinks like an attorney. There is an opportunistic angle to everything he does. My limited interactions with him revealed him to be a cold fish with an obnoxious, high handed attitude. Subsequently, I have never been convinced that he knows anymore than the rest of us about UK athletics. I have been complimentary to Rowland and others. If there was any good reason, I would be complimentary to Jones as well. But there isn't.

Having said that, the Smith twins are transferring to Corbin, which has naturally brought many commenters to speculate they will flip to UK. I doubt Harbaugh is happy about the transfer to Corbin or the recent UV to Lexington. Like everyone else here, I would be very happy if the twins flip to us.

UK's coaches have pulled off similar recruiting victories before. It's possible. It could happen. But as of this moment, there is a good chance they will end up in Ann Arbor or maybe even somewhere else. My point of view is this. If they flip to UK, that would be fantastic. But I am not counting on it.

Last edited:
Rembrandt,
As always, thanks for all your hard work. We really appreciate it!
I noticed that Steven Soles just wrapped up his unofficial visit this week. What is your take on him? Is he a lean? Does he have a committable offer?
Thanks again.
Thanks for your kind comment. I believe Steven Soles will wind up at UK, SCar, or VA Tech. I have not seen a current indication that he is a UK lean, but recent visits can be significant hints at times and under certain circumstances. I just can't speak to whether UK and Soles are headed toward an imminent agreement, but it's a possibility.

Let's just say this. Soles has an ILB body. In our system, he is probably a Mike or Will. He is not an edge LB. Every other LB currently committed to UK's 2024 class is an edge player although Antwan Smith could play 4-5 different defensive positions. Prospects Brian Robinson and Jacob Smith are edge players as well. Prospect Jerod Smith is an interior DL. The only ILBs currently being recruited by UK are Soles and Devin Smith. It is no secret that we need an ILB prospect in our 2024 class. On that basis alone, I am inclined to believe Soles is a take for us. OTOH, it is interesting that he has not been offered by either TN or Vandy in his home state. IDK what to make of that.

I read that he's projected as an edge, despite his listed dimensions. We sent someone down to see him in action in person to see if his lack of measurables disqualified him and he was given the green light. I have no insight other than the one article I read.
Soles could play OLB in a 4-3. I can't see him playing OLB in our 3-3-5. He just doesn't have that kind of frame. And besides that, Caleb Redd and Elijah Groves are definitely edge LBs. FWIW, so are Jacob Smith, Amontrae Bradford, Lorenzo Cowan, and probably Brian Robinson too. If UK's coaches saw Soles as an edge player in our defensive system, I don't see how he would be a take at this point.

Reactions: satcheluk
Jones throws a lot of mud onto the wall to see what sticks. After observing over a period of years, I do not believe he has any reliable sources inside our athletics department. He is wrong more often than he is right. When he is right, he is generally expressing a point of view that was fairly predictable.

No offense to the attorneys. I have friends who are attorneys. But keep in mind that Jones is a Duke trained attorney. He thinks like an attorney. There is an opportunistic angle to everything he does. My limited interactions with him revealed him to be a cold fish with an obnoxious, high handed attitude. Subsequently, I have never been convinced that he knows anymore than the rest of us about UK athletics. I have been complimentary to Rowland and others. If there was any good reason, I would be complimentary to Jones as well. But there isn't.

Having said that, the Smith twins are transferring to Corbin, which has naturally brought many commenters to speculate they will flip to UK. I doubt Harbaugh is happy about the transfer to Corbin or the recent UV to Lexington. Like everyone else here, I would be very happy if the twins flip to us.

UK's coaches have pulled off similar recruiting victories before. It's possible. It could happen. But as of this moment, there is a good chance they will end up in Ann Arbor or maybe even somewhere else. My point of view is this. If they flip to UK, that would be fantastic. But I am not counting on it.
I said earlier, they may have visited UK as a PR visit. That makes playing at Corbin much easier. If they give UK fans a glimpse of hope, then they`ll cheer for them. I hope I`m wrong though and they do have interest in us. But Michigan, Nebraska and Notre Dame were the main schools involved and that`s a large hurdle to overcome. Academics were a large part of their recruitment and maybe UK didn't offer their choice of study.

Reactions: Rembrandt90
I said earlier, they may have visited UK as a PR visit. That makes playing at Corbin much easier. If they give UK fans a glimpse of hope, then they`ll cheer for them. I hope I`m wrong though and they do have interest in us. But Michigan, Nebraska and Notre Dame were the main schools involved and that`s a large hurdle to overcome. Academics were a large part of their recruitment and maybe UK didn't offer their choice of study.
Yes, I think it will be useful at this time for our fans to understand there are all kinds of possible reasons why the twins could have visited Lexington. The visit will bring many people including Jones to believe there is a high chance they will flip to UK. Maybe they will. That would be nice. But I am not counting on it.

If the twins flip would that effect Redd and A Smith's commitments?

If the twins flip would that effect Redd and A Smith's commitments?
IMO this is not the right question to ask. Jerod is a DL. Jacob is an edge LB with a frame that could potentially add enough good weight for him to develop into a DE at some point. In the 3-3-5, Antwan Smith could potentially play every LB position or possibly safety, depending on how he fills out his 6'3" frame. He has sprinter speed and athleticism. So, no, the flip should not effect Antwan. In terms of body type, Redd could potentially play Jack or Sam. Remember, also, that Redd is Stoops' first successful recruiting attempt in St. Louis (at DeSmet, no less). In the 3-3-5, there is no Sam because Sam is replaced by the nickel. But Coach White still uses 3-4-4 situationally. No, I don't think Redd would be affected either. LB is a position of significant need at the moment.

But the question I would ask is this. If UK can flip Jacob Smith, how would that effect Stoops' recruitment of Brian Robinson, Amontrae Bradford, and Lorenzo Cowan? IMO Robinson is a take regardless. You just have to make room for him because he is a Youngstown prospect with potentially elite SEC tools who could even play on the DL one day if he fills out more. But then, there are the cases of Bradford and Cowan, who have OVs scheduled in September to Lexington. They are quality edge LB prospects holding other SEC offers besides UK. If you don't take them, then you probably face them later in opponent uniforms. Depending on the rest of the commitment list going into the fall, we might continue to recruit Bradford or Cowan if our coaches believe either could be developed as a Mike LB. But a Jacob flip to UK would make both of them far less useful for us as edge prospects. Obviously JMO, based on roster math.

I will just reiterate that I remain skeptical about a flip to UK by the Smith twins. It would be great if it happens, but I won't overestimate the significance of a UV by two committed prospects.

Last edited:

I agree with you. he does and sais many things to get folks to tune in to his show. I'm guessing many UK FB fans will tune in Monday morning to see if he and his goof ball side kick who as best I can tell is there to agree with everything he utters, will have some kind of cryptic update. I will get my hopes up when I hear about this from another source.

I agree with you. he does and sais many things to get folks to tune in to his show. I'm guessing many UK FB fans will tune in Monday morning to see if he and his goof ball side kick who as best I can tell is there to agree with everything he utters, will have some kind of cryptic update. I will get my hopes up when I hear about this from another source.
I agree.

Bottom line is that nobody knows what college the prospects will pick until they themselves decide. Nobody online knows unless a prospect tells them. Even then, it can change until the prospect actually signs. Sometimes the coaches have a pretty good idea about it, but they are explicitly prohibited by the rules from discussing it outside the staff until a signed LOI has been received by the school. One of the most deceitful and despicable things Jones has done is encouraging the false narrative that our Recruiting Coordinator Vince Marrow discusses UK's recruiting secrets with him. Jones should have disavowed that falsehood long ago. If Stoops or Barnhart believed it, Marrow would have been suspended, reported to the NCAA as a self-report violation, and possibly fired. Jones' followers will vigorously dispute this and stubbornly insist that Marrow is Jones' inside source, but this is a case of mass delusion. UK is compliant, and that means our coaches cannot discuss individual prospects by name with Jones or anyone else until they have signed. But perpetuation of this urban myth serves Jones' opportunistic interests, just as it will now serve Jones' interests if the Smith twins happen for their own reasons to flip to UK. But if they don't, we will never hear another word about this again on KSR. How many times have we seen this?

I agree.

Bottom line is that nobody knows what college the prospects will pick until they themselves decide. Nobody online knows unless a prospect tells them. Even then, it can change until the prospect actually signs. Sometimes the coaches have a pretty good idea about it, but they are explicitly prohibited by the rules from discussing it outside the staff until a signed LOI has been received by the school. One of the most deceitful and despicable things Jones has done is encouraging the false narrative that our Recruiting Coordinator Vince Marrow discusses UK's recruiting secrets with him. Jones should have disavowed that falsehood long ago. If Stoops or Barnhart believed it, Marrow would have been suspended, reported to the NCAA as a self-report violation, and possibly fired. Jones' followers will vigorously dispute this and stubbornly insist that Marrow is Jones' inside source, but this is a case of mass delusion. UK is compliant, and that means our coaches cannot discuss individual prospects by name with Jones or anyone else until they have signed. But perpetuation of this urban myth serves Jones' opportunistic interests, just as it will now serve Jones' interests if the Smith twins happen for their own reasons to flip to UK. But if they don't, we will never hear another word about this again on KSR. How many times have we seen this?
This

Wonder if it's twins whose last name starts with "S" and ends in "h"??
Different topic but you have asked several times about Hall. I posted CWS's overview of a yenser interview on another thread earlier. Yenser said he has back issues and hasn't been able to do much. CWS said he took as he had back surgery. I havent heard the interview myself

Reactions: mrschwump
Different topic but you have asked several times about Hall. I posted CWS's overview of a yenser interview on another thread earlier. Yenser said he has back issues and hasn't been able to do much. CWS said he took as he had back surgery. I havent heard the interview myself
Saw your other comment, greatly appreciate the input, thanks! Back problems can linger, major concern.

Thanks for your kind comment. I believe Steven Soles will wind up at UK, SCar, or VA Tech. I have not seen a current indication that he is a UK lean, but recent visits can be significant hints at times and under certain circumstances. I just can't speak to whether UK and Soles are headed toward an imminent agreement, but it's a possibility.

Let's just say this. Soles has an ILB body. In our system, he is probably a Mike or Will. He is not an edge LB. Every other LB currently committed to UK's 2024 class is an edge player although Antwan Smith could play 4-5 different defensive positions. Prospects Brian Robinson and Jacob Smith are edge players as well. Prospect Jerod Smith is an interior DL. The only ILBs currently being recruited by UK are Soles and Devin Smith. It is no secret that we need an ILB prospect in our 2024 class. On that basis alone, I am inclined to believe Soles is a take for us. OTOH, it is interesting that he has not been offered by either TN or Vandy in his home state. IDK what to make of that.

I don't know anything about this kid in particular, but Scarolina is throwing some big money at kids right now. The 25kid from GA who just decomitted from OSU, because of carolina's offer, is now shopping his services around. AU is interested and he will be expensive, he is 100% for sale to highest bidder and we can't afford him. So going head to head against SC means you better be ready to spend, especially if that is near the top of the kids wants.

IMO this is not the right question to ask. Jerod is a DL. Jacob is an edge LB with a frame that could potentially add enough good weight for him to develop into a DE at some point. In the 3-3-5, Antwan Smith could potentially play every LB position or possibly safety, depending on how he fills out his 6'3" frame. He has sprinter speed and athleticism. So, no, the flip should not effect Antwan. In terms of body type, Redd could potentially play Jack or Sam. Remember, also, that Redd is Stoops' first successful recruiting attempt in St. Louis (at DeSmet, no less). In the 3-3-5, there is no Sam because Sam is replaced by the nickel. But Coach White still uses 3-4-4 situationally. No, I don't think Redd would be affected either. LB is a position of significant need at the moment.

But the question I would ask is this. If UK can flip Jacob Smith, how would that effect Stoops' recruitment of Brian Robinson, Amontrae Bradford, and Lorenzo Cowan? IMO Robinson is a take regardless. You just have to make room for him because he is a Youngstown prospect with potentially elite SEC tools who could even play on the DL one day if he fills out more. But then, there are the cases of Bradford and Cowan, who have OVs scheduled in September to Lexington. They are quality edge LB prospects holding other SEC offers besides UK. If you don't take them, then you probably face them later in opponent uniforms. Depending on the rest of the commitment list going into the fall, we might continue to recruit Bradford or Cowan if our coaches believe either could be developed as a Mike LB. But a Jacob flip to UK would make both of them far less useful for us as edge prospects. Obviously JMO, based on roster math.

I will just reiterate that I remain skeptical about a flip to UK by the Smith twins. It would be great if it happens, but I won't overestimate the significance of a UV by two committed prospects.
I would agree, as long as they are good with the competition and stay committed, everything would work out what is best for the program. We know that some three stars are better than some four stars so let it all work itself out on the playing field.

I don't know anything about this kid in particular, but Scarolina is throwing some big money at kids right now. The 25kid from GA who just decomitted from OSU, because of carolina's offer, is now shopping his services around. AU is interested and he will be expensive, he is 100% for sale to highest bidder and we can't afford him. So going head to head against SC means you better be ready to spend, especially if that is near the top of the kids wants.
Wow

It's where we are now, SC has nothing to offer other than an attractive NIL. They can't buy an entire class like ATM did, but can single out a few guys and overpay, which they are willing to do for this kid. Cost of building a house in the southeast is going up because AU and their money guy is going to buy an entire class. Big Cat weekend is going to end up costing 500-600k a month if AU keeps its word.

Steven Soles has now moved up his committment. He will announce Tuesday.

Also it appears the Smith twins visited UK again today.

Reactions: bluecoon1
You guys flip out too easy
Posting in a 2024 recruiting thread about a comment a radio host where about half of our commitments have announced they are coming to UK is considered 'flipping out'? You may be take this stuff a little too seriously, be careful before you turn into Rembrant.

It's where we are now, SC has nothing to offer other than an attractive NIL. They can't buy an entire class like ATM did, but can single out a few guys and overpay, which they are willing to do for this kid. Cost of building a house in the southeast is going up because AU and their money guy is going to buy an entire class. Big Cat weekend is going to end up costing 500-600k a month if AU keeps its word.
You and I both know that AU has been offering cash up front for years. They bought players then, and they are buying players now. I will worry when it translates to the football field.

Overall we arent looking very good for 2024. Just looked on Rivals team Ranking. With addition of Texas and Oklahoma we are ranked lower(46) than 13 other SEC schools, kind of hard to spin that as even a good class so far

You and I both know that AU has been offering cash up front for years. They bought players then, and they are buying players now. I will worry when it translates to the football field.

The difference is they now have a head coach with zero integrity and more than willing. The last guy wanted no part of that and they fired him mid season. They are going to be very good very quick.

Reactions: CatPatrick13
The difference is they now have a head coach with zero integrity and more than willing. The last guy wanted no part of that and they fired him mid season. They are going to be very good very quick.
Grumpy, a lot of people here either don't know or don't care about the history of Auburn football. They've been doing the stuff that's legal now but used to be against the rules for decades, much like TN. Thing about then was they didn't care if they were caught as long as they won. Most punished SEC football program in history.

It's July 31st. Not a single team has signed a single player yet for 2024.

At least wait to panic until late November.
Not panicing just making an Observation based on current comittments. SO Far we are not doing as well as our SEC opponents

Not panicing just making an Observation based on current comittments. SO Far we are not doing as well as our SEC opponents
This is true and we very well could finish 13th or 14th in the conference now that Texas and OU are SEC. This start to the class is not what I expected after landing Boley early, but 1) it’s still early and 2) flipping the Smith twins could be a huge boost to the class.

Probably but Hugh Freeze a ton better coach on the field than Brian Harsin ever showed......

Steven Soles has now moved up his committment. He will announce Tuesday.

Also it appears the Smith twins visited UK again today.
Throwing mud at the wall! Oh look there's Vince Marrow having lunch and free wings in the same booth as this man they call bangs, for the 7th time this week.

Oh and there's bangs at Marrow's wedding doing a 2 part karaoke cadence with Marrow on the dance floor.

Now Marrow is hanging out at this wrestling show in Paint Lick, Ky on a random Thursday. We need more mud being thrown on the wall.

Oh and there's bangs at Marrow's wedding doing a 2 part karaoke cadence with Marrow on the dance floor.

Now Marrow is hanging out at this wrestling show in Paint Lick, Ky on a random Thursday. We need more mud being thrown on the wall.
Whatever you say

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT