ADVERTISEMENT

State of 2024 Recruiting

On 7/7, WR prospect Hardley Gilmore received another CB prediction for UK, this time from "Lions247 staff writer" Tyler Calvaruso. So this is a PA St sports journalist, dishing "VIP scoop" that predicts Gilmore will eventually become a UK Wildcat.

As most of you already know, Gilmore is a highly recruited 2025 WR prospect from Pahokee, FL, who is reclassifying forward to the 2024 class. Gilmore reportedly holds at least six SEC and four B10 offers. AL, GA, PA St, and MI have reportedly offered him. Scott Woodward and Mike Stoops are recruiting him for UK. Last month, Gilmore was named as the best receiver at a TX A&M position camp.

UK has a public commitment from Philadelphia WR prospect David Washington. Coach Stoops will take commitments from 1-2 more WR prospects in this class, and Gilmore is his top WR target.
Seems to be kind of a B Brown or A Brown type of receiver. Just fast breakaway speed. Washington complements well with his high level route running and quickness.

Reactions: footerball
I am not saying he isnt but we all know coaches want to talk up theit guys. Hope it is true

True on coaches hyping their players. But it seems pretty telling Florida was pushing for an official visit a month ago. I doubt they'd be that eager if he was a pure Guard prospect verses having positional versatility...

At least that's what I'm telling myself given how much we've struck out on Tackles :)

I'm wondering if maybe the Robinson situation comes from his HS coach shilling for a college program, probably Big 10, and the HS coach becoming angry/frustrated when Robinson wasn't buying what he was selling. That could explain the situation.

I don't know this particular coach but over the years I never push a kid to UGA nor any coach I worked with or against pushed on to their alma mater. Of course there were memobrilla around for kids to see, but to tell a P5 level kid to choose my school or leave, that's just stupid.

I don't know this particular coach but over the years I never push a kid to UGA nor any coach I worked with or against pushed on to their alma mater. Of course there were memobrilla around for kids to see, but to tell a P5 level kid to choose my school or leave, that's just stupid.
Agreed, it's stupid but happens more than you'd think. Don't recall the school/coach but a TN alum at a GA HS has been funneling players to TN for years.

True on coaches hyping their players. But it seems pretty telling Florida was pushing for an official visit a month ago. I doubt they'd be that eager if he was a pure Guard prospect verses having positional versatility...

At least that's what I'm telling myself given how much we've struck out on Tackles :)
Rowland has said the whole recruitment that they will give him a chance at RT

Seems to be kind of a B Brown or A Brown type of receiver. Just fast breakaway speed. Washington complements well with his high level route running and quickness.
Gilmore is roughly the size of Barion Brown, taller than Anthony Brown. All three need to add more good weight but there is time for that. Based on what was reported last month about Gilmore's performance at the TX A&M camp, he is very athletic and competitive with excellent hands and timing instincts. Gilmore was selected as the best receiver prospect at the TX A&M camp. That's impressive.

Reactions: jauk11 and The-Hack

Rowland has said the whole recruitment that they will give him a chance at RT

A knowlegeable commenter on another website recently warned against "pigeonholing" OL prospects before they have an opportunity for development in a college program. I certainly agree with that, but OTOH a player's frame is what it is. You can't teach it. If we were talking about DBs, sometimes it can be difficult early-on to tell whether a young player will develop into a CB or S, especially in the Stoops/White system that uses a nickel and a lot of zone doctrine.

But in the case of the OL, there are five different jobs that work in coordination, but each job is different. There is no golden rule that says a RG cannot be used as a RT if the team doesn't have a better alternative. Last year, Kenneth Horsey moved from LG to LT precisely because the team didn't have a better alternative. But there is the rub. Natural OGs can be used as OTs. Nobody will call the police. But the result might be a less effective, less competitive OL, especially in a spread or prostyle offense where pass blocking on the edge is a deal maker or deal breaker for offensive effectiveness. If you can't protect the pocket and keep the rush off your QB, then it just doesn't work. We sure learned that last year despite the fact that Horsey is a good football player. Horsey just isn't an SEC OT. He doesn't have that kind of frame or length. But he is a preseason all SEC OG. So let's think about that.

Regarding Selm, I have seen height listed anywhere from 6'3" to 6'5" and weight anywhere from 280-300#. As a fan of recruiting, this is a commonly encountered issue. Unless a prospect has been publicly measured without shoes at a credible combine, you just don't know. After much review of this, I believe Selm is 6'3". Can he play RT? Sure, why not? He is athletic and smart.

But let's ask these two questions. Is it best for the team if Selm is a RT? Is it best for Selm's development and career if he is a RT? Here, we have to acknowledge that we won't know the answer with certainty for another couple of years. IOW, the commenter on the other website is correct. All I can add is this. Selm doesn't have the build of a RT. Darian Kinnard had the build of a dominant SEC RT. If Horsey can play LT, then Selm can play RT. But if Stoops' program ever gets back to dominant BBW status, as we all hope, I am inclined to project Selm (and Lafontant and Johnson too) as an interior lineman. When the time comes, we will find out. I am glad Selm committed to our class. He is an intelligent, widely recruited player. But I expect an OT or two will get added to this class later.

Last edited:
Haven't heard much and I'm not in on any paywall info, but one rumor I have seen is that Michigan has backed off recruiting him due to his dad. TIFWIW.

Doubt much becomes clear unless someone talks.

Not hearing anything about Pitt.
Rowland keeps saying that he likes Pitt and has been there almost as much as UK. They are pushing for an OV. Will it happen? Who knows but him.

I will say UM had to make some decisions. They brought in BRob and he wouldn't commit. They already had a commitment from Jared Smith and knew they should land his brother. They were leading and knew they were about to get Nichols and Rudolph. They already had tonother DL and one OLB. They had to decide to either take the guys wanting to commit or wait. They took the commitments. With their current class of DE and OLB there isnt room for BRob. That didnt have anything to do with his dad

Preface this by saying I’d be very surprised to lose a priority recruitment to Pitt. But regarding Robinson recruitment, Pat Narduzzi is as much a Youngstown guy as anyone. That’s probably why they’re thinking they have a shot.

Preface this by saying I’d be very surprised to lose a priority recruitment to Pitt. But regarding Robinson recruitment, Pat Narduzzi is as much a Youngstown guy as anyone. That’s probably why they’re thinking they have a shot.
Ryan Baer ring a bell?

A knowlegeable commenter on another website recently warned against "pigeonholing" OL prospects before they have an opportunity for development in a college program. I certainly agree with that, but OTOH a player's frame is what it is. You can't teach it. If we were talking about DBs, sometimes it can be difficult early-on to tell whether a young player will develop into a CB or S, especially in the Stoops/White system that uses a nickel and a lot of zone doctrine.

But in the case of the OL, there are five different jobs that work in coordination, but each job is different. There is no golden rule that says a RG cannot be used as a RT if the team doesn't have a better alternative. Last year, Kenneth Horsey moved from LG to LT precisely because the team didn't have a better alternative. But there is the rub. Natural OGs can be used as OTs. Nobody will call the police. But the result might be a less effective, less competitive OL, especially in a spread or prostyle offense where pass blocking on the edge is a deal maker or deal breaker for offensive effectiveness. If you can't protect the pocket and keep the rush off your QB, then it just doesn't work. We sure learned that last year despite the fact that Horsey is a good football player. Horsey just isn't an SEC OT. He doesn't have that kind of frame or length. But he is a preseason all SEC OG. So let's think about that.

Regarding Selm, I have seen height listed anywhere from 6'3" to 6'5" and weight anywhere from 280-300#. As a fan of recruiting, this is a commonly encountered issue. Unless a prospect has been publicly measured without shoes at a credible combine, you just don't know. After much review of this, I believe Selm is 6'3". Can he play RT? Sure, why not? He is athletic and smart.

But let's ask these two questions. Is it best for the team if Selm is a RT? Is it best for Selm's development and career if he is a RT? Here, we have to acknowledge that we won't know the answer with certainty for another couple of years. IOW, the commenter on the other website is correct. All I can add is this. Selm doesn't have the build of a RT. Darian Kinnard had the build of a dominant SEC RT. If Horsey can play LT, then Selm can play RT. But if Stoops' program ever gets back to dominant BBW status, as we all hope, I am inclined to project Selm (and Lafontant and Johnson too) as an interior lineman. When the time comes, we will find out. I am glad Selm committed to our class. He is an intelligent, widely recruited player. But I expect an OT or two will get added to this class later.

Everyone knows it's tough to project linemen on both sides of the ball because they are usually bigger than almost all their competition in HS, Which leads to some bad habits. Kidswho have played outside their entire careers have to move inside just because they don't have the feet or length to deal with these speed guys coming off the edge. I like guys who have a wrestling background because they know how to bend, move their feet all while maintaining their balance. UK had a kid who was an ex wrestler and a very good OL, can't remember his name.

Dude, Pitt has had some studs. Aaron Donald ring a bell?

Not sure we're at a level we can discount them as a competitor for recruit.

Pat Narduzzi's the son of Bill Narduzzi who was Fran Curci's DC at UK just prior to taking the Youngstown job in early-mid '70s.

Dude, Pitt has had some studs. Aaron Donald ring a bell?

Not sure we're at a level we can discount them as a competitor for recruit.
Aaron Donald is a product of Penn Hills hs in Pittsburg. And that's the point about recruiting. By attending Pitt, Donald stayed in his home town for college. Not all hs players want to stay home for college, but it is definitely a recruiting advantage. UK recently whiffed on DL Kendall Jackson, primarily because he stayed home to sign with FL. But Jackson is choosing SEC football.

Generally, UK is not going to lose hs recruits to Pitt. But it happens occasionally with players from PA or northern OH because Pitt has a geographical advantage in those areas.

If I'm Brian Robinson, I am choosing the SEC or the B10. Of course, I'm not Brian Robinson. But this is what he will probably do, because it is a career decision for him. It has nothing to do with the fact that Pitt alumni occasionally do well in the NFL, and everything to do with the fact that the chances are statistically better for a pro career if you come out of the SEC or B10. And let's not forget that Coach White has one of the top defenses in college football. Of course, Robinson could decide that he can eventually make the NFL from a lesser conference, and he could be right. As soon as you think you understand college recruiting, something happens to remind you that these are 18 year olds.

At the end of the day, Robinson is the top uncommitted prospect on UK's recruiting board, and the Big Dog will do everything legally possible to sign him.

Last edited:
Aaron Donald is a product of Penn Hills hs in Pittsburg. And that's the point about recruiting. By attending Pitt, Donald stayed in his home town for college. Not all hs players want to stay home for college, but it is definitely a recruiting advantage. UK recently whiffed on DL Kendall Jackson, primarily because he stayed home to sign with FL. But Jackson is choosing SEC football.

Generally, UK is not going to lose hs recruits to Pitt. But it happens occasionally with players from PA or northern OH because Pitt has a geographical advantage in those areas.

If I'm Brian Robinson, I am choosing the SEC or the B10. Of course, I'm not Brian Robinson. But this is what he will probably do, because it is a career decision for him. It has nothing to do with the fact that Pitt alumni occasionally do well in the NFL, and everything to do with the fact that the chances are statistically better for a pro career if you come out of the SEC or B10. And let's not forget that Coach White has one of the top defenses in college football. Of course, Robinson could decide that he can eventually make the NFL from a lesser conference, and he could be right. As soon as you think you understand college recruiting, something happens to remind you that these are 18 year olds.
The sporting news did an article om the most draft picks the last three years. UK was tied with Clemson at 13 picks. Pitt had 14. Idk how much those would change if it was 5 five year, it appears at least lately they are producing as many guys as UK. They would be 4th in the SEC or B1G and they were 1st ACC. They also produced Addison who doesn't count, even though he was already projected a 1st rd pick when he left. Def not bad. I am not saying he will go there but hard to argue they don't produce like SEC or B1G teams

Reactions: Rembrandt90
The sporting news did an article om the most draft picks the last three years. UK was tied with Clemson at 13 picks. Pitt had 14. Idk how much those would change if it was 5 five year, it appears at least lately they are producing as many guys as UK. They would be 4th in the SEC or B1G and they were 1st ACC. They also produced Addison who doesn't count, even though he was already projected a 1st rd pick when he left. Def not bad. I am not saying he will go there but hard to argue they don't produce like SEC or B1G teams
To be specific, I suggested Robinson should probably choose the SEC or B10. Yes, I did say that Coach White has a top defense. And I said Coach Marrow will do his best to sign Robinson. Other than that, I don't think I specifically addressed whether UK or Pitt would be the better choice. Of course, I am biased about it. But your point is well taken. If Robinson wants to stay closer to home, he can still hold hopes for becoming an NFL player by choosing Pitt, even though he would be on regional and national TV less at Pitt than if he played in the SEC.

OTOH, what Coach White has accomplished with our defense has really been impressive. Even more impressive was the UK career of All American and Bronko Nagurski Trophy winner Josh Allen. I imagine Robinson has noted his own resemblance to Allen plus the fact that Allen was a Jack LB.

Typically, the school that receives the final visit tends to have an advantage. That isn't UK. Robinson would be a fantastic addition to our class, or to any school's class. A true impact prospect IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: Marleydogg
To be specific, I suggested Robinson should probably choose the SEC or B10. Yes, I did say that Coach White has a top defense. And I said Coach Marrow will do his best to sign Robinson Other than that, I don't think I specifically addressed whether UK or Pitt would be the better choice. Of course, I am biased about it. But your point is well taken. If Robinson wants to stay closer to home, he can still hold hopes for becoming an NFL player by choosing Pitt, even though he would be on regional and national TV less at Pitt than if he played in the SEC.

OTOH, what Coach White has accomplished with our defense has really been impressive. Even more impressive was the UK career of All American and Bronko Nagurski Trophy winner Josh Allen. I imagine Robinson has noted his own resemblance to Allen plus the fact that Allen was a Jack LB.

Typically, the school that receives the final visit tends to have an advantage. That isn't UK. Robinson would be a fantastic addition to our class, or to any school's class. A true impact prospect IMO.
I have the same bias and I agree with you.

I have the same bias and I agree with you.
Let's say UK signs Robinson. We know he would want a crack at the Jack LB job. Maybe he eventually pulls a Josh Paschal and fills out into a DE. Depends on development.

We also have commitments from Caleb Redd, Elijah Groves, and Antwan Smith. Smith could potentially play any LB position but may need to add 30-40# in the program, so he is a developmental prospect with sprinter speed being his primary carrying tool. I could eventually see Smith as a Will. He could gain 20-30#, which seems more realistic, and handle the Will job. With his speed, he could play sideline to sideline and also do some situational blitzing.

To my eye, Redd and Groves are both edge defenders. I suppose either could beef up and play Mike LB, but their builds and skill sets are suited better for an edge defender role. Agree?

If all of that makes sense, I would expect Coach Stoops to add a Mike LB prospect to our 2024 class. Currently, our ILB roster is not deep. It has recently been reported that Coach Collins is recruiting Devin Smith out of Brunswick and that Smith has included UK in his list of finalists. Smith is a highly recruited Mike prospect. He has not yet scheduled any OVs, but he made a UV to UK less than 2 months ago. Justin Logan out of Marietta and Timejay Hayes out of Melbourne could also be Mike LB prospects. Both reportedly received UK offers at some point although neither has scheduled any OVs yet.

Last edited:
With Kendall Jackson off the board now, I am thinking more and more that Jason Patterson will become UK's next 2024 commitment on or around August 1.

Apparently some off-field stuff is going on with Brian Robinson. Conventional wisdom is that Robinson's dad had a big falling out with the Fitch hs football coach and Robinson has left their football team. That is all I have heard. If there is more to this story, I hope Bereacat or someone else will post what they know. Soon, Robinson will probably enroll at another hs and turn up on their football team for his senior season. There has been speculation that this might change Robinson's mindset regarding his college decision. That is certainly possible, but I tend to doubt it. Robinson has already made his visits and gone down the road toward a decision. The Big Dog will stay in touch as much as the rules allow. Coach Marrow is particularly effective in this kind of a situation. We don't know for sure that Robinson is leaning toward UK, or ever was. Maybe. But as long as the lines of communication are open, I trust Marrow to close if it can be done. Like Robinson, Marrow and Stoops are from Youngstown. That has to help. But we might not hear anything for a while.
If he doesn't leave Ohio, he won't be playing much football this year according to this media report. https://www.wfmj.com/story/49191433/football-robinson-leaves-fitch-program

I have to say I am more than a little surprised by those numbers. Never would have thought Pitt was producing numbers like that.

Reactions: CatPatrick13
Last winter I came across a note on Twitter that UK had signed a PWO NT out of Florida named Sebastian Scott, listed at 6'3" 350. Found film on him and wondered why the guy wasn't getting scholarship offers only to find out he was injured most of his Senior year. This guy was explosive, really used his hands well, had good strength. I was excited that UK had found him, could bring him in and RS in '23 with hopes of his contributing in the future. The guy really looked like a player in time with great potential.

Fast forward to the last few days and UK releases an updated roster....that did not include Scott. Disappointed, I did some searching and found Scott. He accepted a PWO position at UF. Will be interesting to follow him and see what kind of player he turns in to.

Last winter I came across a note on Twitter that UK had signed a PWO NT out of Florida named Sebastian Scott, listed at 6'3" 350. Found film on him and wondered why the guy wasn't getting scholarship offers only to find out he was injured most of his Senior year. This guy was explosive, really used his hands well, had good strength. I was excited that UK had found him, could bring him in and RS in '23 with hopes of his contributing in the future. The guy really looked like a player in time with great potential.

Fast forward to the last few days and UK releases an updated roster....that did not include Scott. Disappointed, I did some searching and found Scott. He accepted a PWO position at UF. Will be interesting to follow him and see what kind of player he turns in to.
Scott's highlight film from hs is impressive. He was dominant. If he gets with a nutritionist and trims down, he could develop into a really good player. He has an injury history but that doesn't necessarily mean anything for his future. It's too bad we couldn't hold onto him but this goes back to the recruiting advantage that SEC schools from bigger states have. It's always easier to stay home for college or at least stay instate.

Scott's highlight film from hs is impressive. He was dominant. If he gets with a nutritionist and trims down, he could develop into a really good player. He has an injury history but that doesn't necessarily mean anything for his future. It's too bad we couldn't hold onto him but this goes back to the recruiting advantage that SEC schools from bigger states have. It's always easier to stay home for college or at least stay instate.
Re Scott, the thought occurred to me that it could've come down to his paying instate tuition at UF instead of out of state tuition at UK. That and of course staying close to home.

Reactions: Davae9

At the end of the day, Robinson is the top uncommitted prospect on UK's recruiting board, and the Big Dog will do everything legally possible to sign him.

Oh, I agree, just pointing out were not at the level to be discounting p5 schools recruiting against us. We ain't quite bama or Georgia yet where they can pick and choose who they want pretty much.

Other than that, I agree. And he would be a huge get.

We ain't quite bama or Georgia yet
And yet our defense is right up there now statistically with GA's and AL's. In 2022 our defense played GA much tougher than any other defense the Dogs encountered. I really find it staggering to see what Brad White is accomplishing here.

There is no doubt that GA and AL have a recruiting advantage over other SEC teams, but I suggest that is due to existing inside talent-rich states and getting favorable, perhaps inordinate, amounts of positive press coverage.

Overall, you have a point about UK's staff having to work more effectively to reel in top prospects like Brian Robinson. No doubt about it. But it is an ongoing process involving a number of variables. Things change. I believe Mark Stoops is slowly but relentlessly climbing that ladder. I don't know whether Stoops will sign Robinson, but we are a finalist. Brad White presents Robinson with an opportunity for lots of TV coverage in a top tier SEC defense. Robinson will make the decision that suits him, but this opportunity is appealing. We got Elijah Groves, Keeshawn Silver, JQ Hardaway, Avery Stuart, Kendrick Gilbert, and Grant Godfrey. So defensive athletes in the south and midwest are taking notice. We are very close to adding Robinson.

It still blows my mind that Coach White turned down $2million/year from LSU, but you have to take your hat off to Stoops and Barnhart for the way they have built and stabilized our coaching staff. It's a huge recruiting factor and the media are noticing.

Don’t worry, When I replace Stoops, I am keeping Brad! We are homeys

Just so you know

If I`m not mistaking White was LSU`s first choice as defensive coordinator and he turned it down. Stoops has said, White loves his situation and the city of Lexington. Making $1.5 million in Lexington is probably the same as $2-2.5 million in other cities. Plus I don't think White has aspirations for being a head coach. He has a job for life, here, as long as the defense stays where it`s at currently. Sometimes family comes first.

Reactions: Rembrandt90
If I`m not mistaking White was LSU`s first choice as defensive coordinator and he turned it down. Stoops has said, White loves his situation and the city of Lexington. Making $1.5 million in Lexington is probably the same as $2-2.5 million in other cities. Plus I don't think White has aspirations for being a head coach. He has a job for life, here, as long as the defense stays where it`s at currently. Sometimes family comes first.
I don't know whether Brad White has aspirations to become a head coach. But if he doesn't now, he probably will if the right job is offered sometime off in the future. Highly competitive athletes and former athletes typically get excited about the right opportunity, and I would use Liam Coen as an example. We can be certain that other schools will continue to inquire about Coach White.

You are absolutely correct about White and the LSU DC job, but White himself said he and his family are too happy here to be hired away for more money. Stoops may have said it, but I specifically remember White saying it. And although the $2million LSU offer was enormous, it is pertinent that White already makes a ton of money here at UK. I don't know whether White has this job for life, but he is a great deal more secure here than most SEC coordinators will ever be. That reality has tangible and intangible value.

For UK's defense to continue to play at its current level under Coach White, our recruiting must remain strong. In recent years, UK has attracted excellent defensive prospects. Brian Robinson would be a fantastic addition.

Last edited:
Re Scott, the thought occurred to me that it could've come down to his paying instate tuition at UF instead of out of state tuition at UK. That and of course staying close to home.
Likely right. After watching his highlight film, I'm kind of surprised we didn't offer him. He was pushing south FL athletes around like rag dolls and collapsing the opponent's pocket from the middle. But the guy is very heavy and he has an injury history.

Reactions: mrschwump
Likely right. After watching his highlight film, I'm kind of surprised we didn't offer him. He was pushing south FL athletes around like rag dolls and collapsing the opponent's pocket from the middle. But the guy is very heavy and he has an injury history.
Thought that too but I think the last 2 items you mentioned may have carried the day. UF lists him at 380 which means he likely weighs more. All these colleges bypassed him for a reason.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT