ADVERTISEMENT

State of 2024 Recruiting

The Smith twins enrolled at Corbin High School this week. I doubt it helps UK but interesting anyway
Couldn’t hurt. Having them in Kentucky gives Vince a chance to get them on campus for a game. I NEVER count Vince out until the kids sign the NLI!!

Reactions: satcheluk
Couldn’t hurt. Having them in Kentucky gives Vince a chance to get them on campus for a game. I NEVER count Vince out until the kids sign the NLI!!
I concur that Coach Marrow's tenacity is one of his best qualities. He stays in contact and does his best. Prospects respect him for this

But the Smiths did not even OV UK. For Kentucky natives to leave UK off their OV list is telling. Even worse, Jacob was scheduled to OV UK last month but cancelled. He wasn't even interested enough to follow through with a scheduled visit. Could they change their minds in the fall? Sure. Anyone can have a change of heart. But this seems unlikely to me.

The key defensive prospect on UK's board is, and all along has been, Brian Robinson. While it isn't a case of either/or, UK 's coaches are counting remaining scholarships and making plans. New names always pop up in the fall, and there is obviously room for excellent defensive prospects. It just probably won't be the Smiths.

BTW, speaking of Smiths, there is an uncommitted DL prospect from Loganville, GA, named Nasir Smith. He hasn't scheduled any OVs yet and doesn't seem to have gotten very far with his decision process. Maybe he just isn't in a hurry, and is willing to make his visits in the fall. Maybe he is a procrastinator. Or maybe he is focusing on academics during the summer. IDK. But he is still available, and he will make a nice addition to someone's class.

This is what I understand to be our coaching staff's current recruiting board. In other words, these are players we are still actively recruiting. No doubt, this is an incomplete list since our coaches can't discuss who they are recruiting under the rules.

And, as we as always say with the recruiting list, new names will pop up in the fall. They always do.

QB- Cutter Boley (UK commit)

RB- Tovani Mizell (UK commit), Jason Patterson (UK lean)

TE- Willie Rodriguez (UK commit)

WR- David Washington (UK commit), Hardley Gilmore, Kamron Mikell, Jalewis Solomon

OL- Aba Selm (UK commit), Hayes Johnson (UK commit), Jadon Lafontant (UK commit), CamRon Warren

DL- Nasir Smith, Isaac Cannizzaro, Demeco Kennedy

LB- Caleb Redd (UK commit), Elijah Groves (UK commit), Antwan Smith (UK commit), Brian Robinson, Devin Smith, Lorenzo Cowan, Amontrae Bradford

DB- Terhyon Nichols (UK commit), Jiquavious Marshall (UK commit), Quaysheed Scott (UK commit), Casey Etienne

K/P- Jacob Kauwe (UK commit)

I believe LB Chase Couch is being recruited as a PWO.

Reactions: satcheluk
Would anyone on here call it a very good class?
Far too early to say. Speaking rationally, we can't say it's a very good, good, or not good class based on only 14 commitments.

I will remind everyone that Deone Walker, Trevin Wallace, Tavion Gadson, Jayvant Brown, and Khamari Anderson are examples of current Wildcats who OV'ed and committed after Thanksgiving in their respective recruitment years. Many other Wildcats such as Jamarion Wilcox, Barion Brown, Jaremiah Anglin, and Ardell Banks OV'ed in October or later in their recruitment years and then subsequently committed to UK. So, IOW, none of those current UK football players were foreseen or included in summer class rankings in those years. That will undoubtedly happen again this year.

So if one attaches significance to class rankings in the middle of July, there isn't a rational case for that. Summer class rankings are click bait. They mean nothing.

What I can say is that recruiting efforts of our coaches between August and the signing date will largely be focused on WRs and both lines. Furthermore, RB Jason Patterson is scheduled to announce on August 1 and appears to be a UK lean. And Brian Robinson and Hardley Gilmore are also still uncommitted.

Many other Wildcats such as Jamarion Wilcox, Barion Brown, Jaremiah Anglin, and Ardell Banks OV'ed in October or later in their recruitment years and then subsequently committed to UK.
UK will begin getting some national love after the third and fourth games. The OOC schedule is weak, but we'll still get some national build up for the Fla game. I'm guessing Stoops and Marrow will load the stadium with recruits for what I hope is a night game against Fla. That environment and outcome of the game could be a big influence on how fall recruiting goes. Players say they don't make decisions based on one game. But, we know how important that game will be for some players that are 50/50 about UK.

UK will begin getting some national love after the third and fourth games. The OOC schedule is weak, but we'll still get some national build up for the Fla game. I'm guessing Stoops and Marrow will load the stadium with recruits for what I hope is a night game against Fla. That environment and outcome of the game could be a big influence on how fall recruiting goes. Players say they don't make decisions based on one game. But, we know how important that game will be for some players that are 50/50 about UK.
I am in the camp that does not believe prospects make college decisions over one game. How unbelievably stupid that would be? A prospect would have to have zero rational criteria involved in his decision process to make a decision over one game. I am not suggesting it has never happened. But impulsive decisions lend themselves to subsequent decommits, flips, or transfers. You want intelligent, mature, situationally-aware players for your football team. That is why Coach Marrow himself often tries to convince prospects to take their time with the decision.

But different prospects have different timeframes. For most, taking campus visits during the late spring or summer works well because school is out and travel becomes easier then. But there are important exceptions. As I discussed earlier, many important UK players including Deone Walker, Trevin Wallace, Barion Brown, Jaremiah Anglin, and Khamari Anderson OV'ed UK and committed during the late fall or even winter. They were not anticipated in July class rankings. This is why it is a pointless waste of time and energy to be concerned about summer class rankings. Personally, I have learned not to even think about assessing the quality and effectiveness of a UK recruiting class for several years after they actually sign. I have learned to trust our coaches. Of course, the websites don't want us to think of it that way, but the websites actually have nothing whatsoever to do with the effectiveness of a recruiting class.

I am in the camp that does not believe prospects make college decisions over one game.
I agree 100%. Coaches go to great lengths to build relationships with players. Most recruits process their decision before making it, but everyone has a moment that tips the scale one way or the other. (That tipping point is different things for each player.)

My point is that a rowdy overflow night game and victory over Fla will be “tipping point” just as a half empty and cold noon loss to Vandy causes some players to look elsewhere. We’ve experienced both, but I expect week 5 to be a great environment for recruiting.

I agree 100%. Coaches go to great lengths to build relationships with players. Most recruits process their decision before making it, but everyone has a moment that tips the scale one way or the other. (That tipping point is different things for each player.)

My point is that a rowdy overflow night game and victory over Fla will be “tipping point” just as a half empty and cold noon loss to Vandy causes some players to look elsewhere. We’ve experienced both, but I expect week 5 to be a great environment for recruiting.
Right now, we have a better football program than FL and that has been reflected in play on the field in recent seasons. If beating FL has an emotional impact on any prospects, IMO it is most likely that they will be FL natives who were considering signing with FL. But I agree that most prospects base their college decisions on more intelligent criteria than one game outcome. For most, there is a process that helps them to feel more comfortable on one campus or with one coaching staff, and it may not be a momentary impulse unless the prospect has not done a very complete job of evaluation or not getting enough parental guidance. No doubt, everyone is different.

Last edited:
Reactions: bballcat4
He may have been replying to what I said about the Smith Brothers visiting tomorrow. They def aren't committing tomorrow. Lol
True. I suppose stranger things have happened, but I don't see the brothers flipping to us. Last month, Jacob said he felt he owed it to UK's coaches to visit Lexington. Then he cancelled his visit to Lexington and committed to MI. LOL! So this is a convoluted recruitment. I seriously doubt Harbaugh's staff is happy with their transfer to Corbin, but I also doubt they will end up at UK. Even if they decommit from MI, it is more likely to be for ND or AL than UK. JMO.

However, Brian Robinson is still uncommitted.

True. I suppose stranger things have happened, but I don't see the brothers flipping to us. Last month, Jason said he felt he owed it to UK's coaches to visit Lexington. Then he cancelled his visit to Lexington and committed to MI. LOL! So this is a convoluted recruitment. I seriously doubt Harbaugh's staff is happy with their transfer to Corbin, but I also doubt they will end up at UK. Even if they decommit from MI, it is more likely to be for ND or AL than UK. JMO.

However, Brian Robinson is still uncommitted.
I doubt they end up at UK but you never know. There is one of them, I think Jarod, that didn't like ND. I still don't see Bama taking them both. If it was one possibly but not both. Jarod seemed to fall in love with UM. I guess we will see

Here is a partial list of hs players in the 2024 class who have reportedly received UK scholarship offers-

Liam Andrews, OL, Brookline, MA
Isaiah Autry, OL, Tupelo, MS
Jeremiah Beasley, ATH, Belleville, MI
Kaleb Beasley, DB, Nashville, TN
Mazeo Bennett, WR, Greenville, SC
KJ Bolden, ATH, Buford, GA
Boo Carter, ATH, Chattanooga, TN
Gavin Chadwell, TE, Barbourville, KY
Cooper Cousins, OT, Erie, PA
TA Cunningham, DL, Alpharetta, GA
Brandon Davis-Swain, DL, Bloomfield, MI
Tyseer Denmark, WR, Philadelphia, PA
Noah Dixon, DB, Lagrange, GA
Jonathon Echols, DE, Franklin, GA
Sincere Edwards, LB, Apopka, FL
Ondre Evans, ATH, Nashville, TN
Zion Ferguson, DB, Loganville, FL
Waltclaire Flynn, OL, Loganville, GA
Stacy Gage, RB, Bradenton, FL
Tayvion Galloway, TE, Chillicothe, OH
Carson Gentle, LB, Chattanooga, TN
Braden Graham, QB, Nashville, TN
Eric Handley, QB, Fairfield, AL
Jaylen Harvey, LB, Gaithersburg, MD
Jewett Hayes, TE, Cincinnati, OH
Timajay Hayes, LB, Melbourne, FL
Brandon Heyward, ATH, Oak Ridge, TN
Eddrick Houston, LB, Buford, GA
KJ Jackson, QB, Montgomery, AL
Kari Jackson, LB, Bradenton, FL
Myles Jackson, QB, Long Beach, CA
Renzo Jennings, DB, Belleville, MI
Hayes Johnson, OL, Campbellsville, KY
Nathaniel Johnson, OL, Belleville, MI
Peter Jones, OL, Malvern, PA
Braylen Kitty, OL, Hilton Head, SC
Jak Lindsey, OL, Owensboro, KY
Nick Marsh, WR, River Rouge, MI
Isaiah Marshall, QB, Southfield, MI
Jordan Marshall, RB, Cincinnati, OH
Quinton Martin, ATH, Belle Vernon, PA
JacQwan McRoy, OL, Fairfield, AL
Elijah Moore, WR, Olney, MD
Jabari Murphy, WR, Eclectic, AL
Prentiss Noland, QB, Fairburn, GA
Jacob Oden, ATH, Harper Woods, MI
Eddy Pierre-Louis, DL, Tampa, FL
James Randle, WR, Daytona Beach, FL
Dante Reno, QB, Windsor, CT
Aaron Scott, ATH, Holland, OH
Jacob Smith, DE, Windsor, CT
Jerod Smith, DE, Windsor, CT
Maealiuaki Smith, QB, San Mateo, CA
Joseph Stone, ATH, Loganville, GA
Jaylen Thompson, DB, Murfreesboro, TN
Josiah Thompson, OL, Dillon, SC
David Washington, WR, Philadelphia, PA
James Robinson, DB, Belleville, MI
Landen Thomas, TE, Moultrie, GA
Hank Weber, DL. Brentwood, TN
Bryce West, ATH, Cleveland, OH
Tyshun White, DB, Buford, GA
Brayshon Williams, DB, Lakeland, FL
Brandon Winton, ATH, Bradenton, FL
Damarion Witton, ATH, Cleveland, OH
Pretty sad that out of that long list only three are from Kentucky. Of course it is early yet.

Pretty sad that out of that long list only three are from Kentucky. Of course it is early yet.
It is. But it is a smaller state with less emphasis on football in general. On the upside the staff has expanded our recruiting territory footprint

What is sad about this? Actually, there is a lot to he happy about. KY is a small state and UK cannot possibly field a successful SEC football team with mainly instate players. All of us can actually be happy that Stoops and Barnhart have overcome this basic disadvantage and built a strong football program. You should try it.

Last edited:
It is. But it is a smaller state with less emphasis on football in general. On the upside the staff has expanded our recruiting territory footprint
The emphasis on football is the key point, not the size. We have 50% more population than Mississippi and they produce 300% more D1 players. Alabama produces even more players than MIssissippi and only has about 10% more people than KY.

The emphasis on football is the key point, not the size. We have 50% more population than Mississippi and they produce 300% more D1 players. Alabama produces even more players than MIssissippi and only has about 10% more people than KY.
Goes back as far as I can recall. I remember Claiborne questioning why KY HSs didn't have Spring practice and middle school feeder programs. I thought those problems were corrected. There's been a modest increase in prospects in recent years. Was a time when KY produced only a couple of SEC prospects/year. Think that's increased but still behind others. That's why it's important UK includes a 300 mile radius around Lexington as "home" territory.

Someone complaining about UK’s lack of Ky commitments either: doesn’t realize how few SEC quality players Ky HS produces each year, wants UK to weaken its roster by recruiting lesser talented players just to include more instate players, or has predetermined not to be happy regardless of the facts.

Yes, I want every top recruit from Ky. No school does it, and our state produces very few top players. (I think we received a verbal from an in state QB that’s ranked top 250!)

It isn’t just about the initial signing any more. You have to develop that relationship for year 2 and beyond as well.

Reactions: Rembrandt90
Haha wonder if Michigan gets pissed about this not so secret visit. Jacob was a marginal take for them anyway. C'mon Harbaugh get pissed & jerk the offers!

Goes back as far as I can recall. I remember Claiborne questioning why KY HSs didn't have Spring practice and middle school feeder programs. I thought those problems were corrected. There's been a modest increase in prospects in recent years. Was a time when KY produced only a couple of SEC prospects/year. Think that's increased but still behind others. That's why it's important UK includes a 300 mile radius around Lexington as "home" territory.
The majority of instate Power 5 football prospects are concentrated at a small number of schools including N Hardin, Male, BG, Boyle Co, Frederick Douglass, and Covington Catholic. A decade ago, Trinity and St. X would have been on this list but hs football inside Jefferson Co has gone downhill (like the city of Louisville more generally) due to multiple socioeconomic factors.

The 300 mile recruiting radius was true once. Now, UK is pulling scholarship football players out of MT, CT, NJ, Philadephia, and south FL. Our recruiting profile in TX is increasing. The difference is that Stoops' recruiting budget has increased, and his coaching staff has been built to recruit throughout the SEC and B10 conference footprints.

What is sad about this? Actually, there is a lot to he happy about. KY is a small state and UK cannot possibly field a successful SEC football team with mainly instate players. All of us can actually be happy that Stoops and Barnhart have overcome this basic disadvantage and built a strong football program. You should try it.
You are much too smart to think having a talent pool of in state players like Georgia or Florida wouldn't be a tremendous help in our recruiting. The Bear got a lot of his talent from the coalfields of western Pennsylvania and while I agree with it wholeheartedly UK spearheading the integration in the SEC hurt our recruiting quite a bit. No more classes with Rick Norton, Rodger Bird, Sam Ball, Rick Kestner, all from Kentucky and all among the best in America. It is a shame that our stupid coach ran so many players off and we ended up with the thin thirty when injuries and running players off killed us.

I think our coaches do a tremendous job in recruiting with what they have to work with, including our AD.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT