ADVERTISEMENT

State of 2024 Recruiting

It's a slow day. Here is a 5-question brain teaser for anyone who cares to give it a go.

1. How many WRs (not counting transfers) will Stoops take in our final 2024 class?

2. Total, how many hs players will sign in UK's 2024 class?

3. Will Tovani Mizell play in more than 4 games in 2024 as a true freshman?

4. Will David Washington play in more than 4 games in 2024 as a true freshman?

5. Out of Selm, Johnson, and Lafondant, which will be the first to start a game on UK's BBW? What year will it happen?
1 3wrs
2 20
3 no
4 no
5 Ladondant

I’m also going to guess that our next commitment will be Jackson.

Reactions: Burgcatfan
It's a slow day. Here is a 5-question brain teaser for anyone who cares to give it a go.

1. How many WRs (not counting transfers) will Stoops take in our final 2024 class?

5. Out of Selm, Johnson, and Lafondant, which will be the first to start a game on UK's BBW? What year will it happen?
I agree with UK First.
1)3
2)20
3)no, McClain could be back, Wilcox, Sumi, and Wright will see the most action
4)no too many older WRs
5) I think it is a coin flip between Selm and Lafondant. I am going to go Lafondant RS JR

1. 3
2. 22
3. yes
4. no
5. Lafondant 2026

Reactions: EastLansingCat
I attended last fall's UK-FL game in Gainesville. The personalities of the two teams on the field were noticeably different. UK was aggressive, confident, and unflappable. FL played tentatively and made some huge mental mistakes. At the time, I remember thinking Billy Napier might be in over his head. We will see about that.

The draw for a player like Jackson to stay home and be a Gator must be strong. But these players are surely noticing that Stoops' guys are physically and mentally dominating the UK-FL matchups whether played in Gainesville or Lexington. The "look" is that Stoops has a better coaching staff and more organizational momentum than Napier. Stoops' situation in Lexington is obviously stable whereas Napier could already be in trouble in Gainesville. If I was being recruited by FL right now, I would wonder whether Napier can last there for another 4 years. This is more or less why I am thinking Stoops will get Kendall Jackson. Not to mention that his Mom really enjoyed visiting UK last month.
Yeah, kind of the way I am thinking. Could go either way according to what is most important for the young man.

Reactions: Rembrandt90
I tend to agree with you, but it also seems very plausible that UK's next commitment might come from Jason Patterson during the first week of August.
Gilmore hasnt set a date so he def could ve after Patterson. Jackson is b4 if he picks UK.

Gilmore hasnt set a date so he def could ve after Patterson. Jackson is b4 if he picks UK.
I have a good feeling about Jackson, because of his family's positive visit to Lexington last month and because our program and our staff are obviously in a better place now than FL's are. But that could be wishful thinking. Realistically, this could go either way or he could decide to stretch it out to the fall and take more visits.

But then I keep thinking that Stoops doesn't have a commitment yet from a 2024 DL. He surely has a plan for that, and Jackson is currently the most obvious step in the right direction. Just seems like a fit.

I have a good feeling about Jackson, because of his family's positive visit to Lexington last month and because our program and our staff are obviously in a better place now than FL's are. But that could be wishful thinking. Realistically, this could go either way or he could decide to stretch it out to the fall and take more visits.

But then I keep thinking that Stoops doesn't have a commitment yet from a 2024 DL. He surely has a plan for that, and Jackson is currently the most obvious step in the right direction. Just seems like a fit.
So a DL dip of Jackson and BRob (may grow into one) for this class would be great, if a little short on quantity.

Will they add another (assuming things go our way)?

Has Sebastian Scott shown up at UK yet? If not, will he get here before the season? Really liked his film for. pWO.

if we don’t get him, I think UK will need to take a NT this class, bc we will have lost our last two NT recruits the last two seasons

Heard we git another pick for Brian Robinson today. Here was a pic he posted on his IG

Those are some nice blue headphones he is wearing, but I believe Wildcat blue also happens to be the school color for his hs.

I have not found any public evidence that Robinson is getting ready to announce. Whenever that happens, though, he is a difference maker. If Coach Marrow can close the deal, Robinson would be one of the most significant signings of the Stoops era, and certainly one of the top defensive signings. I wonder how critical assurances of playing Jack LB might be to his recruitment, if at all. I think he once made it pretty clear that is the position he wants to play.

Those are some nice blue headphones he is wearing, but I believe Wildcat blue also happens to be the school color for his hs.

I have not found any public evidence that Robinson is getting ready to announce. Whenever that happens, though, he is a difference maker. If Coach Marrow can close the deal, Robinson would be one of the most significant signings of the Stoops era, and certainly one of the top defensive signings. I wonder how critical assurances of playing Jack LB might be to his recruitment, if at all. I think he once made it pretty clear that is the position he wants to play.
Sense he wants to be a Jack but it could depend on how much he grows. Could this be Josh Paschal redux?

Idk he put at the bottom of the pic just a few more week till I am committed. He hasn't set a date but that makes it look like he is closing in on a decision. Some guys don't set a date.

Reactions: Rembrandt90
Yeah some just want it done before sr hs football season starts to eliminate distractions

Only a few predictions made, but all are Kendall Jackson stays home. Hope we get a surprise.

Other Smith twin to Michigan, as everyone knew would happen after his brother picked them a couple months ago

Brian Robinson no longer with his high school team? Is this good or bad for UK?
Hard to know. He isn't transferring to be close to where he is going. His das had a major falling out with the coach at Fitch.

Edit: just read where he called the head coach out on teitter by name. Said we was a coward and Bitch, and that he told BRob to find a new home because he was jealous. I definitely dont think that is good for UK

Last edited:
Hard to know. He isn't transferring to be close to where he is going. His das had a major falling out with the coach at Fitch.

Edit: just read where he called the head coach out on teitter by name. Said we was a coward and Bitch, and that he told BRob to find a new home because he was jealous. I definitely dont think that is good for UK
Is Marrow friends with that coach? Any shakeup when we feel we’re leading is probably not ideal

With Kendall Jackson off the board now, I am thinking more and more that Jason Patterson will become UK's next 2024 commitment on or around August 1.

Apparently some off-field stuff is going on with Brian Robinson. Conventional wisdom is that Robinson's dad had a big falling out with the Fitch hs football coach and Robinson has left their football team. That is all I have heard. If there is more to this story, I hope Bereacat or someone else will post what they know. Soon, Robinson will probably enroll at another hs and turn up on their football team for his senior season. There has been speculation that this might change Robinson's mindset regarding his college decision. That is certainly possible, but I tend to doubt it. Robinson has already made his visits and gone down the road toward a decision. The Big Dog will stay in touch as much as the rules allow. Coach Marrow is particularly effective in this kind of a situation. We don't know for sure that Robinson is leaning toward UK, or ever was. Maybe. But as long as the lines of communication are open, I trust Marrow to close if it can be done. Like Robinson, Marrow and Stoops are from Youngstown. That has to help. But we might not hear anything for a while.

It is also worth mentioning again that Jalewis Solomon is scheduled to make his announcement on August 5. Conventional wisdom suggests he will pick FL St or Auburn. He and his brother Zayden Walker visited UK last month and reportedly had a good visit. It has become clearer that Solomon views himself as a WR at the next level, so we will find out how much influence Coach Coen and Cutter Boley have had in his recruitment. Coach Collins is his primary UK recruiter.

With Kendall Jackson off the board now, I am thinking more and more that Jason Patterson will become UK's next 2024 commitment on or around August 1.

Apparently some off-field stuff is going on with Brian Robinson. Conventional wisdom is that Robinson's dad had a big falling out with the Fitch hs football coach and Robinson has left their football team. That is all I have heard. If there is more to this story, I hope Bereacat or someone else will post what they know. Soon, Robinson will probably enroll at another hs and turn up on their football team for his senior season. There has been speculation that this might change Robinson's mindset regarding his college decision. That is certainly possible, but I tend to doubt it. Robinson has already made his visits and gone down the road toward a decision. The Big Dog will stay in touch as much as the rules allow. Coach Marrow is particularly effective in this kind of a situation. We don't know for sure that Robinson is leaning toward UK, or ever was. Maybe. But as long as the lines of communication are open, I trust Marrow to close if it can be done. Like Robinson, Marrow and Stoops are from Youngstown. That has to help. But we might not hear anything for a while.
Nothing new has been reported on Robinson. His dad said the coach told him to leave and that was why he did what he did. Anyway, I did see that a scout from Ohio sais the Fitch coach was trouble and Robinson's dad was just taking up for his son. Have not see anything that BRob was a problem.

As far as recruiting goes, there isnt much news. I have read that Pitt is becoming the dark horse and may be gaining ground. He has taken several UVs there and they are pushing him to hold off and OV them in Dec b4 making his decision.

Nothing new has been reported on Robinson. His dad said the coach told him to leave and that was why he did what he did. Anyway, I did see that a scout from Ohio sais the Fitch coach was trouble and Robinson's dad was just taking up for his son. Have not see anything that BRob was a problem.

As far as recruiting goes, there isnt much news. I have read that Pitt is becoming the dark horse and may be gaining ground. He has taken several UVs there and they are pushing him to hold off and OV them in Dec b4 making his decision.
Interesting. At the end of the day, I don't see Robinson picking Pitt over UK. But the longer this goes on, the more possibilities probably get introduced. Knowing about the tension between the Robinson family and the Fitch hs coach tells me that his mind hasn't primarily been on narrowing his recruitment. It is hard for anyone to think a year or two ahead when they are under a lot of stress. But I trust Coach Marrow.

Reactions: Daniel1962

No
No
Selm

On 7/7, WR prospect Hardley Gilmore received another CB prediction for UK, this time from "Lions247 staff writer" Tyler Calvaruso. So this is a PA St sports journalist, dishing "VIP scoop" that predicts Gilmore will eventually become a UK Wildcat.

As most of you already know, Gilmore is a highly recruited 2025 WR prospect from Pahokee, FL, who is reclassifying forward to the 2024 class. Gilmore reportedly holds at least six SEC and four B10 offers. AL, GA, PA St, and MI have reportedly offered him. Scott Woodward and Mike Stoops are recruiting him for UK. Last month, Gilmore was named as the best receiver at a TX A&M position camp.

UK has a public commitment from Philadelphia WR prospect David Washington. Coach Stoops will take commitments from 1-2 more WR prospects in this class, and Gilmore is his top WR target.

I'm wondering if maybe the Robinson situation comes from his HS coach shilling for a college program, probably Big 10, and the HS coach becoming angry/frustrated when Robinson wasn't buying what he was selling. That could explain the situation.

I'm wondering if maybe the Robinson situation comes from his HS coach shilling for a college program, probably Big 10, and the HS coach becoming angry/frustrated when Robinson wasn't buying what he was selling. That could explain the situation.
I was wondering similarly. No evidence to back it up. But if the coach felt he had something to gain by delivering Robinson to another program not of Robinson's choosing, that could provoke the type of response we apparently saw. Most hs coaches don't get a player of Robinson's major college value more than once or twice in a coaching career.

Reactions: mrschwump
That hypothetical scenario reminds me a bit of the Albert Means situation where the HS coach was "shopping" the player and Bama, who was the high bidder got caught. Hope this isn't true about Robinson but it wouldn't surprise me.

I was wondering similarly. No evidence to back it up. But if the coach felt he had something to gain by delivering Robinson to another program not of Robinson's choosing, that could provoke the type of response we apparently saw. Most hs coaches don't get a player of Robinson's major college value more than once or twice in a coaching career.

Haven't heard much and I'm not in on any paywall info, but one rumor I have seen is that Michigan has backed off recruiting him due to his dad. TIFWIW.

Doubt much becomes clear unless someone talks.

Not hearing anything about Pitt.

With regard to 2024 OL recruiting-

Liam Andrews, Brookline, MA
Jonathon Daniels, Pensacola, FL (FL St lean)
Nathaniel Johnson, Belleville, MI
Guerby Lambert, W Roxberry, MA (ND lean)
Eddy Pierre-Louis, Tampa, FL
Jameson Riggs, Hiram, GA
Jordan Seaton, Washington, DC
Dakarai Sumpter, Hopkins, SC
Barry Walker, Cordele, GA
Cam'Ron Warren, Chesapeake, VA
Fletcher Westphal, Leesburg, VA

These are uncommitted OL prospects reportedly holding UK offers. I am not suggesting all of these offers are committable because only our coaches know that. Three other names technically fall into this category but will announce for other schools later this week, so I did not include them here.

I feel confident saying UK will be unable to sign Andrews, Daniels, Lambert, Pierre-Louis, Riggs, Seaton, Warren, and Westphal. Of the others, Sumpter and Walker have the frame and length to be developed as Power 5 OTs. But neither Sumpter nor Walker has yet scheduled any OVs to any schools, suggesting either that they are pushing their recruitments into the fall or else that their academic situations have not made it practical for them to schedule OVs. IDK.

Of course, new names pop onto UK's recruiting radar every fall, and I would expect some of this coming fall's new names to be OT prospects.

I do not believe Aba Selm will be an OT at the next level. I am aware some posters still disagree with me on this. My impression is based on reading scouting reports by experienced evaluators. I also have reason to believe Selm is not quite as big as he is currently listed on most internet sites. I believe all three of UK's current OL commits are no more than 6'3" tall. That doesn't mean they won't become good players. But they aren't true OTs. FWIW.

In any case, if Stoops accepts anymore OL commitments in his 2024 class, I am fairly sure they will be true OT prospects. We don't need anymore OGs in this class unless it would be a truly elite LG prospect, and the only uncommitted prospect fitting that description on the list is Daniels who will likely soon commit to FL St.

All this explains why UK's recruitment of OL prospects appears stagnant right now. I feel sure Coach Stoops would take 1-2 more in this class, if he could get the guys he wants. Without getting too heavy about it, another factor that must be considered is that Zach Yenser has not yet proven his chops as an SEC recruiter. There is no getting around this. So, while I expect another OL prospect or two to eventually be added to the class, the names could very well turn out to be off our radar presently. We are still more than 5 months away from the signing date.
Selm is currently 6’5” according to his coach in an article by Cincinnati enquirer

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT