ADVERTISEMENT

State of 2024 Recruiting

Okay, who will be the next commit to UK's 2024 recruiting class?

Here are some uncommitted prospects who have visited Lexington AND have received CB picks for UK-

Hardley Gilmore, WR, Pahokee, FL
Jason Patterson, RB, Sneads, FL
Brian Robinson, DL, Youngstown OH

Here are some other uncommitted prospects who have visited Lexington and, although they don't have CB picks for UK, are considered to have strong interest-

Casey Etienne, DB, Ft. Lauderdale, FL (UV)
Kendall Jackson, DL, Gainesville, FL
Quaysheed Scott, DB, Marion, SC (UK position camper)
Jalewis Solomon, WR/DB, Ellaville, GA
David Washington, WR, Philadelphia, PA (UV)

Recruiting services cannot evaluate every kid that plays football, that`s why coaches build relationship's with high school coaches. They only rank the kids that plays at major high schools or go to camps and not all kids can afford that. Plus they look at offers.
There is no difference between a 5.7 3 star and a 5.8 4 star, just an additional star. But that additional star looks good on paper. Stoops and company are very good at looking at kids and saying 2-3 years down the road, this kid can be really good. Plus if a 5.6 player puts in the effort and a 5.9 kid doesn`t, who will end up being the best player 3 years into his college career?
No matter our place in the rankings ( I do like to see us being towards the top), I trust this staff and their ability to evaluate.

Recruiting rankings matter. (Look at Ala & Ga.) Stoops would trade classes with them if possible. I will not pretend developing lowly recruited players is a recipe for UK taking the next step.

Developing players matter. Stoops and Co have proven to be very good at this. I don’t think there’s a huge difference in recruiting rankings after the top 8-10 teams. Again, Stoops has out performed coaches who’s classes are perennially ahead of his.

The portal now gives coaches a quick opportunity to recruit role-specific players. Consequently, the portal is making teams less dependent on hs recruits. This is another area where Stoops is excelling.

Bottom line - UK must climb the hs recruiting ladder to break through the glass ceiling into the top tier of SEC schools.

The proverbial question is “does recruiting precede winning or winning precede getting the best recruits?” How do we get into the 12 team CFP? I think current staff can both recruit and develop enough good players to get us to 8-9 wins per season. A couple special players may possibly get us into top 12. Making CFP would catapult us up with hs recruits.

I cannot pretend hs recruiting ranking don’t matter. History proves otherwise.

I also cannot ignore Stoops’ ability to develop players while also using the portal to greatly improve the team.

Im not concerned about moving up/down recruiting rankings 5 spots from #20. (15-25) I do agree, however, that finding a way to get into top 10-12 is important for making CFP. Some people say that’s a pipe dream at UK. It may be, but most football people never thought Stoops and UK could build and sustain what we’ve seen in last 5-7 years.

I trust Stoops and believe he and his staff will continue to climb the recruiting ladder just as they have done so on the field!

Several people have recently asked me how Stoops will find defensive linemen for our 2024 class. First, Kendall Jackson out of FL is known to be interested in UK. Jackson visited Lexington last month with his family. Brian Robinson, even though he is touted online as an "edge", is 6'5", muscular, and likely to outgrow the Jack LB position just as Josh Paschal did. Robinson also visited Lexington last month.

More than likely, new DL names will eventually emerge. Every year, new prospects appear on our coaching staff's recruiting radar in the fall. Although none of the following defensive linemen seem likely to end up at UK, any of them potentially could. But these are not predictions.

Alex Foster, Greenville, MS. Foster has OVed AR, Baylor, and GA Tech in the last month. He has scheduled an announcement for 7/10 and has CB picks entered for AR. If he goes through with an announcement next week, it won't be UK. Occasionally, announcements get postponed. Unlikely in this case, but you never know. Coach Collins is his UK recruiter.

Demeco Kennedy, Lexington, KY. Kennedy is generally considered a top 5 prospect inside the state of KY, but is mostly known as an OG prospect. He attends Frederick Douglass hs, which has produced four current Wildcats. Earlier this year, Kennedy attended a midwest combine and got voted one of the top prospects in attendance. During the weekend of the combine, he played DE. Observers reported that he was too quick off the edge for any of the offensive linemen to block. He has UVed UK, but not OVed. It is generally thought around Lexington that he will pick IL, Purdue, ot WV, but an announcement has not been scheduled.

D'Antre Robinson, Orlando, FL. Has visited OH St, TX, and FL, and has a November visit scheduled to LSU. Robinson will probably sign with one of those schools. But no CB picks yet and no announcements scheduled. It looks like his recruitment will drag out into the fall. Coach Mike Stoops is recruiting him for UK.

Nasir Smith, Loganville, GA. Smith holds nine SEC offers but hasn't made, or even scheduled, any campus visits yet. He is obviously pushing his recruitment off to the fall, whether for academic reasons or personal preferences. Coach Stewart is his UK recruiter.

Recruiting rankings matter. (Look at Ala & Ga.) Stoops would trade classes with them if possible. I will not pretend developing lowly recruited players is a recipe for UK taking the next step.

Developing players matter. Stoops and Co have proven to be very good at this. I don’t think there’s a huge difference in recruiting rankings after the top 8-10 teams. Again, Stoops has out performed coaches who’s classes are perennially ahead of his.

The portal now gives coaches a quick opportunity to recruit role-specific players. Consequently, the portal is making teams less dependent on hs recruits. This is another area where Stoops is excelling.

Bottom line - UK must climb the hs recruiting ladder to break through the glass ceiling into the top tier of SEC schools.

The proverbial question is “does recruiting precede winning or winning precede getting the best recruits?” How do we get into the 12 team CFP? I think current staff can both recruit and develop enough good players to get us to 8-9 wins per season. A couple special players may possibly get us into top 12. Making CFP would catapult us up with hs recruits.

I cannot pretend hs recruiting ranking don’t matter. History proves otherwise.

I also cannot ignore Stoops’ ability to develop players while also using the portal to greatly improve the team.

Im not concerned about moving up/down recruiting rankings 5 spots from #20. (15-25) I do agree, however, that finding a way to get into top 10-12 is important for making CFP. Some people say that’s a pipe dream at UK. It may be, but most football people never thought Stoops and UK could build and sustain what we’ve seen in last 5-7 years.

I trust Stoops and believe he and his staff will continue to climb the recruiting ladder just as they have done so on the field!
I agree with a lot of this. But when you say-

I cannot pretend hs recruiting rankings don't matter. History proves otherwise.

I will just say this. Be very careful when you say that history "proves" the validity of class rankings. For most of the history of college football, there were no online class rankings at all. And while lots of people want to believe class rankings are valid, and lots of other people in the online business surely stand to profit in one way or another if that narrative is widely accepted, the actual fact is that "proving" something is much more complicated and difficult than it sounds to people who have not actually done research to "prove" something. The fact is that real proof is produced only after an investigative protocol has been critiqued and approved by an editorial board composed of professional researchers. The reason for that is that flaws and biases in research methodology lead to incorrect conclusions. I have seen people claim "proof" when later research actually proved the opposite.

Standardization is essential to accurate research. There is no standardization involved in evaluating athletic talent. Talent evaluation is a complex set of individual observation and communication skills. So there is actually no valid way to prove or disprove whether online class rankings are positively correlated with results on the football field. In essence, each example of talent evaluation is anecdotal. For every Josh Paschal, who performed at the level of his talent evaluation, there is a Josh Allen or a Luke Fortner that didn't. Some people understand this, while others just don't want to hear it. As the great Bill O'Reilly often says, people believe what they want to believe. That's why both political parties invoke the need for "science" even though they mean two entirely different things by use of that term.

If college football coaches believed that online prospect rankings were valid, they wouldn't have to go to the trouble and expense to evaluate the prospects themselves. They could just read about them online and call them up.

Reactions: rudd1
I agree with a lot of this. But when you say-

I will just say this. Be very careful when you say that history "proves" the validity of class rankings. For most of the history of college football, there were no online class rankings at all. And while lots of people want to believe class rankings are valid, and lots of other people in the online business surely stand to profit in one way or another if that narrative is widely accepted, the actual fact is that "proving" something is much more complicated and difficult than it sounds to people who have not actually done research to "prove" something. The fact is that real proof is produced only after an investigative protocol has been critiqued and approved by an editorial board composed of professional researchers. The reason for that is that flaws and biases in research methodology lead to incorrect conclusions. I have seen people claim "proof" when later research actually proved the opposite.

Standardization is essential to accurate research. There is no standardization involved in evaluating athletic talent. Talent evaluation is a complex set of individual observation and communication skills. So there is actually no valid way to prove or disprove whether online class rankings are positively correlated with results on the football field. In essence, each example of talent evaluation is anecdotal. For every Josh Paschal, who performed at the level of his talent evaluation, there is a Josh Allen or a Luke Fortner that didn't. Some people understand this, while others just don't want to hear it. As the great Bill O'Reilly often says, people believe what they want to believe. That's why both political parties invoke the need for "science" even though they mean two entirely different things by use of that term.

If college football coaches believed that online prospect rankings were valid, they wouldn't have to go to the trouble and expense to evaluate the prospects themselves. They could just read about them online and call them up.
I`m not arguing but tell A&M how top recruiting classes help a team. They signed the top recruiting class, ever, in 2022. Most have transferred and A&M ended up with 5 losses last season. Recruiting does matter and the top 10 classes does place them ahead of everyone else, but there isn`t a big difference between 11 and 25.

Reactions: EastLansingCat
I`m not arguing but tell A&M how top recruiting classes help a team. They signed the top recruiting class, ever, in 2022. Most have transferred and A&M ended up with 5 losses last season. Recruiting does matter and the top 10 classes does place them ahead of everyone else, but there isn`t a big difference between 11 and 25.

I never suggested recruiting doesn't matter. Of course it does. Why do you think I started this thread? I said that online player ratings and class rankings are not valid predictors of performance on the field, and I have offered a lot of examples to support that position. For most of the history of college football, coaches recruited players and fans watched them play. The online player ratings and class rankings are a relatively recent marketing wrinkle.

Reactions: EastLansingCat
At the end of the day, if you are watching UK football recruiting and expecting them to pull off a Saban era Bama-like run, you probably need to buy a Bama hat and just cheer for them.

If you are a multi millionaire, start writing some checks. It's completely legal now.

If you want to know why UGA has caught up to Bama, follow the money they spend. Top 5 recruiting classes isn't cheap.

At the end of the day, if you are watching UK football recruiting and expecting them to pull off a Saban era Bama-like run, you probably need to buy a Bama hat and just cheer for them.

If you are a multi millionaire, start writing some checks. It's completely legal now.

If you want to know why UGA has caught up to Bama, follow the money they spend. Top 5 recruiting classes isn't cheap.
Mostly agree. But GA and AL have an extremely important built-in recruiting advantage that is not related to $$. TX, TX A&M, and FL have it too. Those states have a whole lot of SEC caliber players every year who are hs seniors and, for the most part, more receptive to the instate Power 5 schools. In fact, they have so many SEC caliber prospects in those states that the instate Power 5 schools could recruit almost entirely instate and still be almost as competitive as they are now. UK, not even close to having that advantage. UK MUST recruit primarily out of state. That means UK football recruiting is proportionately more expensive, UK staff cannot afford as many evaluation mistakes, and UK assistant coaches must travel farther and be more persuasive than their counterparts at the big-state schools.

For every Josh Paschal, who performed at the level of his talent evaluation, there is a Josh Allen or a Luke Fortner that didn't.
I think we both agree that Stoops and staff are good evaluators and developers of football talent. We have our success stories, and probably have more than many 2nd tier SEC teams.

However, for every successful unranked or 3 star player that exceeded their hs ranking and even made it to the NFL are many more similarly rated players who had minimal impact at UK or transferred away because of lack of playing time.

I agree 110% with you that online rankings are first and foremost about making $. Yet, they lose respect (and $) if they continually get it wrong. I agree with you that many hs players slip through the cracks for many reasons. However, camp evaluators usually spot most of the top tier players.

You correctly point out that it is early in the recruiting cycle. We already have a top QB in the fold. Some of this year’s top recruits are names not even being mentioned yet. You (or someone else) previously mentioned that Stoops is targeting some higher rated recruits knowing he can fill gaps/misses from the transfer portal. I agree with this assessment.

Can UK break through the glass ceiling and compete for SEC championships and have legitimate chance to make 12 teams CFP? UK has every disadvantage a college football team could face. (A topic for another post.) Yet, I am convinced we can be knocking on the door many years as we get close to T’Giving. I also acknowledge that improved recruiting is essential for this to happen.

I’m excited for the season and the future of UK football!

I think we both agree that Stoops and staff are good evaluators and developers of football talent. We have our success stories, and probably have more than many 2nd tier SEC teams.

Clearly true.

However, for every successful unranked or 3 star player that exceeded their hs ranking and even made it to the NFL are many more similarly rated players who had minimal impact at UK or transferred away because of lack of playing time.

This is your opinion. Clearly there are underrated prospects who overachieve at UK and, clearly, there are also overrated players who underachieve. You and I know the examples. In the beginning, Stoops had to gamble on jucos, academic risks, developmental risks, questionable characters, and guys who didn't always play the game right. He was in that position because he took over a 2-10 team at a school with a rep as a "basketball school". Notwithstanding our relatively high class ranking in 2014, a large percentage of that class didn't complete their eligibility here for those reasons. As the rep of our program has gradually improved under Stoops, he has been more successful getting high character guys who do well in school and contribute positively to the locker room. Stoops has grown our football culture.

So, while it is true that some players underachieve and others overachieve, the proportion has radically changed now. I will suggest that there is more overachieving now than ever before. Stoops made mistakes with Kiyaunta Goodwin, Jared Casey, and Michael "donut" Drennen. Those mistakes happened for reasons that would have trapped most coaches. But when you look at stories like-

Bunchy Stallings
Benny Snell
Josh Allen
Logan Stenberg
CRod
Kenneth Horsey
Max Duffy
Eli Cox
D'Eryk Jackson
Andru Phillips
Carrington Valentine
Kahlil Saunders
Josh Kattus
Zion Childress
Maxwell Hairston

Those are impressive evaluation and development stories that show off the talent of this coaching staff. At this point, my impression is that overachievement at the SEC level is a more promonent feature in our football program than underachievement.

I agree 110% with you that online rankings are first and foremost about making $. Yet, they lose respect (and $) if they continually get it wrong. I agree with you that many hs players slip through the cracks for many reasons. However, camp evaluators usually spot most of the top tier players.

That is your opinion. Some prospects don't even attend camps. Some attend multiple camps but give inconsistent performances. Many do not attend combines. Others do not commit to schools involved in running the camp or to schools in geographic proximity. Evaluation is done through studying lots of film, talking with high school coaches, and getting to know the prospects in their home and school settings.

You correctly point out that it is early in the recruiting cycle. We already have a top QB in the fold. Some of this year’s top recruits are names not even being mentioned yet. You (or someone else) previously mentioned that Stoops is targeting some higher rated recruits knowing he can fill gaps/misses from the transfer portal. I agree with this assessment.

Clearly true.

Can UK break through the glass ceiling and compete for SEC championships and have legitimate chance to make 12 teams CFP? UK has every disadvantage a college football team could face. (A topic for another post.) Yet, I am convinced we can be knocking on the door many years as we get close to T’Giving. I also acknowledge that improved recruiting is essential for this to happen.

I’m excited for the season and the future of UK football!

I have never doubted Mark Stoops will have a top tier SEC football program at UK. At this particular school, it was always going to take time. I give lots of credit to Barnhart for patiently supporting and growing the process, and I cannot respect people who refuse to see that. You want improved recruiting? Okay, but recruiting by our coaching staff has been steadily improving all along since the beginning. The SEC is the toughest and most competitive college football conference in the country, but we are more than holding our own. Stoops is doing a remarkable job. I have had a lot of fun attending bowl games these last handful of years, and am looking forward to our 2024 recruiting class. As you can see, I am also excited for the future, like you are.

Last edited:
Reactions: bballcat4
I never suggested recruiting doesn't matter. Of course it does. Why do you think I started this thread? I said that online player ratings and class rankings are not valid predictors of performance on the field, and I have offered a lot of examples to support that position. For most of the history of college football, coaches recruited players and fans watched them play. The online player ratings and class rankings are a relatively recent marketing wrinkle.
I never said you did, I just said a small number of kids, compared to the number that actually plays, get scouted. Thats why college coaches build relationships with high school coaches. Plus when I said recruiting does matter, I meant player evaluations, not just star ratings. Star ratings doesn`t mean everything, just ask Texas A&M.

Last edited:
I think the bottom line is we would love to sign a top 5 class, but we can’t so we will be happy with a top 25 class which for UK is impressive

Mark Stoops and his coaches evaluate prospects for length, speed, attitude, intelligence, and multisport atheticism.
I would add work ethic to that as well. We have great coaches and S&C staff but they can do the work for them. Motivation and work ethic don't show up in recruiting rankings.

Reactions: catben
As far as recruiting class rankings go, the 2023 class had an average star ranking of 3.47 which I believe is the highest in program history and is 17th nationally. You can compare that to Georgia who had the #2 class last year, and their average star ranking was 3.88. So the National Champ's class had an average player rank .41 of a star higher than Kentucky. When you throw in the high rank bias that a few teams including Georgia get there isn't a whole lot of daylight there.

I never said you did, I just said a small number of kids, compared to the number that actually plays, get scouted. Thats why college coaches build relationships with high school coaches. Plus when I said recruiting does matter, I meant player evaluations, not just star ratings. Star ratings doesn`t mean everything, just ask Texas A&M.
Totally correct. IMO. Happy Independence Day

Reactions: Wildcat40229
I think the bottom line is we would love to sign a top 5 class, but we can’t so we will be happy with a top 25 class which for UK is impressive
The bottom line is that we want to win more football games. If we win more games, that is on-field proof that Stoops is continuing to build his program successfully. It doesn't matter how a website ranks our recruiting as long as we are winning.

Reactions: treyforuk
I would add work ethic to that as well. We have great coaches and S&C staff but they can do the work for them. Motivation and work ethic don't show up in recruiting rankings.
That is what I meant by attitude, so I agree.

Last edited:
The bottom line is that we want to win more football games. If we win more games, that is on-field proof that Stoops is continuing to build his program successfully. It doesn't matter how a website ranks our recruiting as long as we are winning.
^This in a nutshell

Reactions: maroon79
It starts with recruiting but takes more than one class. If you look at Georgia, Alabama, OSU etc.... they string top 5 classes - one after another and are pretty good at developing those players. But many 4 and 5 stars also transfer out of those programs and TAM has had only one outstanding class so far.

Quaysheed Scott has now committed to UK. Happy Independence Day to Quaysheed. He was offered after attending a UK position camp in Lexington about a month ago. Quaysheed comes from a family of SEC football players and has been clocked at 4.4 or better several times in the 100y dash. He is projected as a S at the next level. He is being recruited by Coach Collins.

UK's current 2024 class-

Cutter Boley, QB, Lexington, KY
Elijah Groves, LB, Cross Plains, TN
Hayes Johnson, OL, Campbellsville, KY
Jacob Kauwe, K/P, Billings, MT
Jason Lafontant, OL, Greenwich, CT
Jiquavious Marshall, DB, Macon, GA
Tovani Mizell, RB, Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Terhyon Nichols, DB, Cincinnati, OH
Caleb Redd, LB, St. Louis, MO
Willie Rodriguez, TE, Alexandria, KY
Quaysheed Scott, DB, Marion, SC
Aba Selm, OL, Independence, KY
Antwan Smith, LB, Atlanta, GA

Quaysheed Scott has now committed to UK. Happy Independence Day to Quaysheed. He was offered after attending a UK position camp in Lexington about a month ago. Quaysheed comes from a family of SEC football players and has been clocked at 4.4 or better several times in the 100y dash. He is projected as a S at the next level. He is being recruited by Coach Collins.

UK's current 2024 class-

Cutter Boley, QB, Lexington, KY
Elijah Groves, LB, Cross Plains, TN
Hayes Johnson, OL, Campbellsville, KY
Jacob Kauwe, K/P, Billings, MT
Jason Lafontant, OL, Greenwich, CT
Jiquavious Marshall, DB, Macon, GA
Tovani Mizell, RB, Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Terhyon Nichols, DB, Cincinnati, OH
Caleb Redd, LB, St. Louis, MO
Willie Rodriguez, TE, Alexandria, KY
Quaysheed Scott, DB, Marion, SC
Aba Selm, OL, Independence, KY
Antwan Smith, LB, Atlanta, GA
Love the speed and his attacking/hitting ability. Recruited as a S but could have CB speed. Nice DB room the staff's putting together.

Love the speed and his attacking/hitting ability. Recruited as a S but could have CB speed. Nice DB room the staff's putting together.
He has the necessary speed to play several positions. Corners need great flexibility, mirror skills, and high pointing instincts. I have read that Scott is a good tackler who can tackle downhill and defend against the run well at the second level. He has the build of an S. A S who can run 4.4 can cover a lot of ground as a blitzer or a defensive "center fielder" over the top.

I think Marshall and Nichols will be the corners in this class. Scott could be a WR but I suspect he will be an S and that they will take one more S sooner or later. But we don't have a commitment from a WR yet. Gilmore? Washington? Solomon?

Based on Solomon's comments, I think he sees himself as a WR at the next level. Signing Solomon, a great prospect in his own right, will give some staff an advantage with Zayden Walker in 2025.

Last edited:
Based on Solomon's comments, I think he sees himself as a WR at the next level. Signing Solomon, a great prospect in his own right, will give some staff an advantage with Zayden Walker in 2025.
On the other board, they said Solomon named FSU as the leader after his visit there. It appears Walker is leaning that way also.

O tackle Johnathan Daniels down to a final 3 of Florida St, Georgia, & Kentucky. Could decide soon before HS season.

UK tied for 11th place with North Carolina and Clemson for number of players drafted last 3 years:

Hard evidence that the staff is flat getting it done in recruiting, portal and development.
And we're doing it with half the talent those teams get. UNC gets a lot of 5 star guys. One just transferred to UK this summer in Silver.

Last edited:
O tackle Johnathan Daniels down to a final 3 of Florida St, Georgia, & Kentucky. Could decide soon before HS season.
Unfortunately, very likely to choose FL St.

But he visited UK last month and would be a sensational upset recruiting victory if his UK lead recruiter Zach Yenser could somehow pull off his first major commit.

However, wherever he chooses, Daniels is not an SEC OT. I am basing that assessment on several high level scouting reports. But he would make a fantastic LG in Coach Coen's system, and we need one of those.

Last edited:
Reactions: JHB4UK
Look at the names behind Kentucky on that graphic. Oregon, Clemson, Southern Cal, Texas, Texas a&m.
Only UC and Pitt can claim player development on a level with Kentucky.

And if this list were expanded to 5 years instead of three, I think we’d look even better.

That first Citrus Bowl team had how many drafted? Six or seven wasn’t it?

On the other board, they said Solomon named FSU as the leader after his visit there. It appears Walker is leaning that way also.
It does appear that FL St is in a good position with the brothers. This has always been a challenging recruiting competition for our coaches. But we got them on campus, Solomon OV and Walker UV. So it isn't over.

Speaking of FL St recruiting, Jonathon Daniels will very likely commit there soon. Daniels visited UK last month, but has always been a likely FL St recruit. He lives in the FL panhandle, near Tallahassee. Zach Yenser is Daniels' primary UK recruiter. Not to pile on Yenser, honestly, but Yenser still hasn't produced a notable UK commitment yet as a primary recruiter. If he could pull it off, Daniels would be a good start for him as an SEC recruiter. But I see no signs or evidence that Daniels is UK bound. I am working on a more extensive comment about UK OL recruiting that I will post soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dddjdd
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT