ADVERTISEMENT

State of 2021 recruiting

5.6 3 star Rembrandt had him on a list of the likelihood of them coming was declining
FWIW, I still think it is declining. Jackson has an excellent offer sheet. In itself, that doesn't mean he won't come to UK. It didn't stop Justin Rogers, Joel Williams, or Dekel Crowdus. But Jackson's recruitment has not gone as well for UK as theirs. Rock Cat's observation about Bama is interesting.

This leads me to ask. Who will be the next commit to UK's class? Normally, at this time of year, there are new commitments because of skills camps in Lexington. But the camps are canceled this year because of COVID. As far as I can see on the basis of circumstantial information, no commitments appear imminent. It could be a little while. But given the numbers so far, I imagine Coach Stoops would like a few more commitments from defensive players. Especially the DL.

Now that Jordan Lovett has committed, UK has 7 commitments from prospects likely to be develop as offensive players and only 2 from likely defensive players. So far, no interior defenders. It is inevitable that some of those will be added sooner or later.

I believe it is a matter of time before TE Jordan Dingle, from Bowling Green hs, joins UK’s class. Dingle is obviously the TE Stoops and Marrow want in this class. He holds an offer from OH St, but it might not be committable. I could be wrong, but I think Dingle will be a Wildcat.

Here are some prospects whose likelihood of joining UK’s class might be increasing compared to several weeks ago-

Rayshaun Benny, OL, Oak Park, MI
Kamonte Grimes, ATH, Naples, FL
Quincey Skinner, WR, Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Malik Verdon, QB, Hamilton, OH

Here are some prospects whose likelihood of joining UK’s class might be declining-

Trinity Bell, TE, Albertville, AL
Jaydon Hood, LB, Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Khyree Jackson, DB, EMSCC
Reece Jesse, WR, Hopkinsville, KY
Tyrell Ruby, DB, Baton Rouge, LA
Brody Wisecarver, OL, St. Louis, MO

I still believe Jager Burton will wait a while to commit, and will continue to be an uphill battle for UK’s coaching staff.
Other than an outside possibility of winning a championship at OH ST what other factor/factors seem to be pulling him to OH ST?

UK positives
1) Kentucky fan
2) Best conference/competition much tougher to prep for pro's
3) OL development second to nobody/coach relationship tops
4) Heavy senior class/probably playing a year earlier here than there
5) OL 20 class very strong/playing with great players
6) Comrody here for years tops with most recruits

Reactions: jauk11
Other than an outside possibility of winning a championship at OH ST what other factor/factors seem to be pulling him to OH ST?

UK positives
1) Kentucky fan
With few exceptions, I don't think we really know what factors pull any player toward any school until they commit and discuss what they are thinking. In some cases, we never find out. I have already discussed what I understand to be the case, but I don't know the player. OH St is one of the most successful programs in the country on the field and in recruiting. So something is working well for them. The factors you cited in UK's favor are sensible from our point of view, and I agree. But they don't tell the full story of what an uncommitted player thinks about every option on his offer list. Many schools are appealing from the standpoints of academics, effective recruiting, famous coaches, interesting location, climate, impression on parents, and countless other factors. It's an individual decision.

Reactions: jauk11

UK positives
1) Kentucky fan
I watched an interview with a OSU reporter and he acted like he had always been a fan. He said there were alot of OSU fans in this area. He was prob saying what the reporter wanted to hear but he seems to really like OSU.

I know UK has a great line. OSU has one of the most talented lines in the country. OSU is gonna have the #1 recruiting class this year. They have the #1 OG coming in. Most experts believe they will land Latham the #1 OT according to 247. They also had the #1 OT last year in Paris Johnson.

Hopefully some of that plays in our favor as he is gonna have a hard time beating some of the OGs they have out for a position.

Kentucky makes the top five with this NJ LB. Michigan State, Nebraska, Ole Miss and WVU are the other four.

Reactions: vikingfer
As speculated earlier on the thread, Coach Stoops has invested a scholarship in a punter as the heir-apparent for senior Max Duffy. Australian ProKick P Wilson Berry, from the same developmental program that produced Duffy, is the latest addition to our 2021 recruiting class. Berry is our eleventh commitment.

Wilson Berry, P, ProKick Australia
Dekel Crowdus, slotR, Lexington, KY
Jordan Lovett, DB, Ratcliff, KY
Chauncey Magwood, WR, Leesburg, GA
Paul Rodriguez, OL, Mason, OH
Kahlil Saunders, DL, Huntsville, AL
Armond Scott, WR, Euclid, OH
Kaiya Sheron, QB, Somerset, KY
Joko Willis, LB, Independence CC (KS)
David Wohlabaugh, OL, Stow, OH
LaVell Wright, RB, Ratcliff, KY

And though he will add little to nothing to our “Star-ratings” (which I enjoy following) we can all agree, Berry’s commitment might be one of the most important in the class.

Watching returners let 55 yard punts sail over their heads, and downing punts inside the 20, the 10 and 5 yard lines has been a staple of our overall defensive prowess the last 2 years! Aussie Rules players are very adept at kicking what they call “the Banana,” and what we call “directional kicking.” Matt Stinchcomb made references to it more than once this last season . . . “Duffy moved hard to his right, then kicked it all the way back to his left.” And the effect is not purely directional from the force of the kick: they put a spin, or “English” on the ball making it curl or curve in flight (hence “the banana”).

Last edited:
Love the Aussie kickers, they add more excitement to a punt. Question, Dean Hood was given credit for our Aussie punting success, does it take a different coaching method? If so, do we have someone to replace Hood?

Love the Aussie kickers, they add more excitement to a punt. Question, Dean Hood was given credit for our Aussie punting success, does it take a different coaching method? If so, do we have someone to replace Hood?

Hood had the Special Teams title, but Louie Matsakis is essentially the Special Teams coach and he is still here.

Question, Dean Hood was given credit for our Aussie punting success, does it take a different coaching method?

I think Coach Hood got credit for opening the pipeline more so than teaching Aussie’s how to punt.

Watch the videos others have posted on Duffy. There is no mention of much adjustment to the American game beyond getting used to the uniform.

These guys go to a special organization in Australia that teaches them, and gets them attention from American schools.

And though he will add little to nothing to our “Star-ratings” (which I enjoy following) we can all agree, Berry’s commitment might be one of the most important in the class.

Watching returners let 55 yard punts sail over their heads, and downing punts inside the 20, the 10 and 5 yard lines has been a staple of our overall defensive prowess the last 2 years! Aussie Rules players are very adept at kicking what they call “the Banana,” and what we call “directional kicking.” Matt Stinchcomb made references to it more than once this last season . . . “Duffy moved hard to his right, then kicked it all the way back to his left.” And the effect is not purely directional from the force of the kick: they put a spin, or “English” on the ball making it curl or curve in flight (hence “the banana”).

As a kid I tried punting the football a few times, I almost perfected the "directional" punting, I put quite a curve on the ball, unfortunately it was curving back towards the earth. I gave it up before getting to my high school team. Besides our team had a very good punter, he was 6' 4" tall, and most of it was legs.

Reactions: The-Hack
When in the hell are we gonna get another commit? It's been almost a month now since our last, not counting the kicker. UL's supposed to get at least 4 this week, maybe today. I know it's early, but it looks like their class is gonna be quite a bit better than ours. They're getting alot of guys with really good offer sheets, including alot of guys we offered.

When in the hell are we gonna get another commit? It's been almost a month now since our last, not counting the kicker. UL's supposed to get at least 4 this week, maybe today. I know it's early, but it looks like their class is gonna be quite a bit better than ours. They're getting alot of guys with really good offer sheets, including alot of guys we offered.

I'll be very surprised if UofL's class is ranked higher than UK's come signing day. Very.

Reactions: ryanbruner
What are you talking about? Excluding the unrated JUCO & P, out stars average is ~3.1. Theirs is around 2.9.

Reactions: The-Hack and jauk11
when are they going to rank our unranked players?

Don’t hold your breath.

And as to Rivals, they had Max Duffy as a 5.2 Two Star, and he was considered the best Aussie available that year.

Still, giving our two unrated commits a reasonable rating would bump us up quite a bit.

It is this discussion that really devalues the overall star ratings: a great punter is as important as any position, but Rivals will give him only two Stars!?!?!

Did not know that about the spin. Makes sense, never thought about it. Cool!

Did not know that about the spin. Makes sense, never thought about it. Cool!

After posting this, I watched some Aussie Rules kicking. And some of those banana kicks are damn near a 90 degree turn . . . there are times (like in Rugby) where they have to kick from a corner spot.

For long kicks, they kick the “torpedo,” or “torp” kicks, a punt like kick with a pass-like spiral to go long and straight.

Reactions: Lost In FL
Rowland and Graf teasing a potential Yahtzee soon per their twitter accounts

Anybody dare to make a stab of who it might be?

We’ve gotten picks for Jager on rivals forecast so maybe it’s him.

Could be. Saw that two OSU writers switched their picks from OSU to UK. Also Wiltfong switched his pick on OSU to 1 low. I wasn't for sure if we would make a run at a top 25 class again, but it's possible. Benny, Payne, Gilliam, etc. lots of big names out there and we always hit on a late 4 star or two late. Hayes, Williams, and so on

Reactions: -COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE-
I think it's thrower. Burton says he won't commit till Aug 24th I think. If he can't take visits he may delay that

Don’t hold your breath.

And as to Rivals, they had Max Duffy as a 5.2 Two Star, and he was considered the best Aussie available that year.

Still, giving our two unrated commits a reasonable rating would bump us up quite a bit.

It is this discussion that really devalues the overall star ratings: a great punter is as important as any position, but Rivals will give him only two Stars!?!?!
Which just goes again to show the problem with trying to translate star ratings to future contributions on the field.

As we have discussed here before, recent UK All Americans Josh Allen, Benny Snell, and Bunchy Stallings were lightly recruited players with pedestrian star ratings. The track record of our coaching staff for evaluating and developing young players has been more convincing than what I read about players on websites.

There has been some increase in recent buzz about five uncommitted prospects who appear to be primary UK recruiting targets. Let's discuss.

Damon Payne, DL, Belleville, MI. Two out of the last three years, Steve Clinkscale has successfully recruited the #1 football prospect in the state of MI. This year, Payne is Coach Clinkscale's top target. All credible sources consider Payne one of the top defensive linemen in the entire national class. Payne visited UK last September, and has had UK near the top of his list ever since. He is a friend of incoming UK freshman Justin Rogers. Early on, the buzz was that it would be a UK-OH St battle. But OH St appears to have targeted their DL scholarships toward more signable prospects, and the battle for Payne now seems to be coming down to UK and Bama. A year ago, UK beat out Bama and just about every other major program for Rogers. It might happen again, but don't expect this competition to get settled in the next several weeks.

Rayshaun Benny, OL/DL, Oak Park, MI. Benny is a friend and former teammate of current UK NT Marquan McCall. Like Payne, Benny is being recruited by Coach Clinkscale. He is the #6 overall prospect in the state of MI. Most schools are recruiting Benny as an OT, and he is considered one of the better uncommitted OT prospects in the midwest. But Coach Clinkscale is reportedly offering Benny his choice of OL or DL. Benny's finalist list appears to be MI, IA, and UK. The IA football program is currently navigating through a scandal. MI is the home state school, but I still like UK's chances for a fall commitment from Benny. As with Payne, this one will probably not get settled in the next several weeks.

Jager Burton, OL, Lexington, KY. After another upgrade, Burton is now considered one of the top 100 prospects in the national class. As a Lexingtonian, Burton is thought of as a likely UK signee by many UK fans. But Burton's offer sheet reads like the national top 20 poll. This is coming down to a four-way battle involving Clemson, Bama, OH St, and UK. Recent buzz suggests Burton remains wide open and won't announce before August. UK Recruiting Coordinator Vince Marrow has made Burton's recruitment his #1 personal mission for this class, and John Schlarman has been in Burton's ear whenever the NCAA has allowed coach-to-prospect communications. This will be a tough decision for Burton. It is getting more complicated as Bama and Clemson have stepped up their level of interest. Jedrick Wills' recent success as a first-round NFL draft choice coming out of Bama and Walker Parks' decision to sign with Clemson won't make this process any simpler for Burton. But Burton has a mind of his own. COVID-related interruptions in recruiting activity have given Burton an opportunity to slow down his decision process a little bit, and it will be interesting to see how he assesses his opportunities this summer.

Patrick Tukes, DL, McRae, GA. The #60 overall hs football prospect in the state of GA has not gotten much attention from our fans. While he has not yet received an offer from Kirby Smart, he does hold at least five SEC offers including TN and Ole Miss. Tukes has the body and athletic tools of an SEC defensive lineman. Unless GA offers this summer, his recruitment may come down to UK and SC. Tukes is being recruited by Jon Sumrall.

Martez Thrower, LB, Rochelle, GA. The #59 overall prospect in the state of GA might become UK's next 2021 verbal commitment. Thrower has played on the defensive edge at Wilcox Co. hs. But he would become a Will or Mike LB in UK's 3-4 system. Thrower already holds at least four SEC offers and is also getting interest from several B10 programs. In the last week, there has been a good deal of circumstantial evidence that Thrower may be about to give UK a verbal commitment. He is being recruited by Jon Sumrall.

Last edited:
Could be. Saw that two OSU writers switched their picks from OSU to UK. Also Wiltfong switched his pick on OSU to 1 low. I wasn't for sure if we would make a run at a top 25 class again, but it's possible. Benny, Payne, Gilliam, etc. lots of big names out there and we always hit on a late 4 star or two late. Hayes, Williams, and so on

CB with a confidence level of 1 is the same as cloudy in this new system.

Don’t hold your breath.

And as we see, now, Max is a 5 star at his position.

There has been some increase in recent buzz about five uncommitted prospects who appear to be primary UK recruiting targets. Let's discuss.

Damon Payne, DL, Belleville, MI. Two out of the last three years, Steve Clinkscale has successfully recruited the #1 football prospect in the state of MI. This year, Payne is Coach Clinkscale's top target. All credible sources consider Payne one of the top defensive linemen in the entire national class. Payne visited UK last September, and has had UK near the top of his list ever since. He is a friend of incoming UK freshman Justin Rogers. Early on, the buzz was that it would be a UK-OH St battle. But OH St appears to have targeted their DL scholarships toward more signable prospects, and the battle for Payne now seems to be coming down to UK and Bama. A year ago, UK beat out Bama and just about every other major program for Rogers. It might happen again, but don't expect this competition to get settled in the next several weeks.

Rayshsun Benny, OL/DL, Oak Park, MI. Benny is a friend and former teammate of current UK NT Marquan McCall. Like Payne, Benny is being recruited by Coach Clinkscale. He is the #6 overall prospect in the state of MI. Most schools are recruiting Benny as an OT, and he is considered one of the better uncommitted OT prospects in the midwest. But Coach Clinkscale is reportedly offering Benny his choice of OL or DL. Benny's finalist list appears to be MI, IA, and UK. The IA football program is currently navigating through a scandal. MI is the home state school, but I still like UK's chances for a fall commitment from Benny. As with Payne, this one will probably not get settled in the next several weeks.

Jager Burton, OL, Lexington, KY. After another upgrade, Burton is now considered one of the top 100 prospects in the national class. As a Lexingtonian, Burton is thought of as a likely UK signee by many UK fans. But Burton's offer sheet reads like the national top 20 poll. This is coming down to a four-way battle involving Clemson, Bama, OH St, and UK. Recent buzz suggests Burton remains wide open and won't announce before August. UK Recruiting Coordinator Vince Marrow has made Burton's recruitment his #1 personal mission for this class, and John Schlarman has been in Burton's ear whenever the NCAA has allowed coach-to-prospect communications. This will be a tough decision for Burton. It is getting more complicated as Bama and Clemson have stepped up their level of interest. Jedrick Wills' recent success as a first-round NFL draft choice coming out of Bama and Walker Parks' decision to sign with Clemson won't make this process any simpler for Burton. But Burton has a mind of his own. COVID-related interruptions in recruiting activity have given Burton an opportunity to slow down his decision process a little bit, and it will be interesting to see how he assesses his opportunities this summer.

Patrick Tukes, DL, McRae, GA. The #60 overall hs football prospect in the state of GA has not gotten much attention from our fans. While he has not yet received an offer from Kirby Smart, he does hold at least five SEC offers including TN and Ole Miss. Tukes has the body and athletic tools of an SEC defensive lineman. Unless GA offers this summer, his recruitment may come down to UK and SC. Tukes is being recruited by Jon Sumrall.

Martez Thrower, LB, Rochelle, GA. The #59 overall prospect in the state of GA might become UK's next 2021 verbal commitment. Thrower has played on the defensive edge at Wilcox Co. hs. But he would become a Will or Mike LB in UK's 3-4 system. Thrower already holds at least four SEC offers and is also getting interest from several B10 programs. In the last week, there has been a good deal of circumstantial evidence that Thrower may be about to give UK a verbal commitment. He is being recruited by Jon Sumrall.
Great info, thanks. I like our chances with some of these kids. But I have had a feeling Burton leaves the state. That's just a feeling I get, listening to him. I hope I'm wrong, and he stays like Landon did. Mentioning Landon, what a great young man. He and his father. The nicest folks.
I think Tukes is underrated. He's built for success in the SEC.

Reactions: ryanbruner

Rayshsun Benny, OL/DL, Oak Park, MI. Benny is a friend and former teammate of current UK NT Marquan McCall. Like Payne, Benny is being recruited by Coach Clinkscale. He is the #6 overall prospect in the state of MI. Most schools are recruiting Benny as an OT, and he is considered one of the better uncommitted OT prospects in the midwest. But Coach Clinkscale is reportedly offering Benny his choice of OL or DL. Benny's finalist list appears to be MI, IA, and UK. The IA football program is currently navigating through a scandal. MI is the home state school, but I still like UK's chances for a fall commitment from Benny. As with Payne, this one will probably not get settled in the next several weeks.

Great post. Tukes is a name I haven't heard of and certainly would be worth watching. Also on Payne, it might be worth noting that McCall and Payne are cousins. Hoping the good guys win, but it will be tough against Bama.

Reactions: UKCatnNC
Great post. Tukes is a name I haven't heard of and certainly would be worth watching. Also on Payne, it might be worth noting that McCall and Payne are cousins. Hoping the good guys win, but it will be tough against Bama.
I agree, it's tough when you are going against the top programs, especially Bama and Clemson. But UK's coaches beat out Bama for-
Jason Hatcher
Matt Elam
Drake Jackson
Landon Young
Denzil Ware
Josh Paschal
Yusuf Corker
Jordan Wright
Moses Douglass
Justin Rogers
Michael Drennen
Joel Williams
Josaih Hayes
TreVonn Rybka
RJ Adams
Vito Tisdale

So we have done it before. Another thing to remember is that Bama generally gets early commitments from highly rated prospects and their scholarships fill up. Damon Payne will be a take for most programs. But OH St already gave up on Payne, and Bama has already taken one DT in this class. With great persistence, UK got Justin Rogers and Marquan McCall. I still think we have a solid shot to sign Payne and Rayshaun Benny.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT