ADVERTISEMENT

State of 2021 recruiting

Lewis is a very impressive and versatile receiver prospect and would give Kentucky a really nice class at that position with Crowdus, Magwood and Scott. Watch the film.

Quite often a highlight tape doesn’t keep my attention until the end but this one did. Noticed that many times he was making his receptions in double coverage too. Kids got some fight in him.

Reactions: The-Hack
Great post. Tukes is a name I haven't heard of and certainly would be worth watching. Also on Payne, it might be worth noting that McCall and Payne are cousins. Hoping the good guys win, but it will be tough against Bama.
And these are the kind of players we need to really compete against the top of the SEC. GO CATS!!

Reactions: oplusas
Right to me if we make a run at the SEC ship it starts with the OL & DL. And I think we are recruiting great in that area. And now if we really want to make to run at the ship, we need to recruit better at the skilled positions. The last two classes have been better in that area. Drennen, Crowdus, etc.

Would be beyond huge. Him and Rogers back to back. Those guys up front would be crazy. Long way to go, but I would be really surprised if we don't at least get one out of the two in Payne or Benny. Clink is just to good of a recruiter to get shut out in Michigan

Would be beyond huge. Him and Rogers back to back. Those guys up front would be crazy. Long way to go, but I would be really surprised if we don't at least get one out of the two in Payne or Benny. Clink is just to good of a recruiter to get shut out in Michigan

Not saying it's going to happen, but certainly plausible they get both Payne and Benny for the DL.

To expand a little further...right now, it seems like a UK/Alabama battle for Payne and a UK/Mich/Mich St battle for Benny. Could change, but right now those seem to be the primary players.
From what I have read that's what I gather as well. I like our standing with Benny. You think it's a lock Benny goes to DL? I would rather see him go to OL if we get Payne, but talent like that I get it either way

Reactions: vikingfer
From what I have read that's what I gather as well. I like our standing with Benny. You think it's a lock Benny goes to DL? I would rather see him go to OL if we get Payne, but talent like that I get it either way

Benny prefers DL and that is what UK is recruiting him for.

Got it. Assuming we get Jager, it will be interesting to see who we get as the fourth OL. Whether it's Simmons from the West Coast or someone else emerges

Got it. Assuming we get Jager, it will be interesting to see who we get as the fourth OL. Whether it's Simmons from the West Coast or someone else emerges

I think they ultimately get Burton. If I were Kentucky, I'd really shoot for a Juco guy for the fourth spot as they will lose four OL after this season.

Reactions: oplusas
I read Benny plays SDE in HS. Could he play there in college or more of a DT. Seems we have recruited a bunch of DTs but not many DEs

His current size/frame looks good for a SDE. I think Kentucky has a really talented one of those in this class in Kahlil Saunders already as well.

I think they ultimately get Burton. If I were Kentucky, I'd really shoot for a Juco guy for the fourth spot as they will lose four OL after this season.
Didn't think about going the JUCO like Flax last year. Let's say we get Payne, Benny, and Jager. This class is quietly shaping up to be really good. With other big targets out there Trigg, Skinner, etc and we always seem to snag a four star or two late. That doesn't come on the staffs radar until late in the season

Reactions: The-Hack
Didn't think about going the JUCO like Flax last year. Let's say we get Payne, Benny, and Jager. This class is quietly shaping up to be really good. With other big targets out there Trigg, Skinner, etc and we always seem to snag a four star or two late. That doesn't come on the staffs radar until late in the season

Not to mention, who knows what may happen when visits are allowed. This is likely to be a historic year for flips.

if we could land those three this class could be great

Not to mention, who knows what may happen when visits are allowed. This is likely to be a historic year for flips.
Very good point. It will be interesting to watch. Could you see OSU making a push for Benny? Assuming they miss out on Jager and already have missed out on one of their top targets they thought they had to Bama

Maybe it's already in this threa . But NCAA delayed on campus visits again. Nothing before Aug. 31 now.

Very good point. It will be interesting to watch. Could you see OSU making a push for Benny? Assuming they miss out on Jager and already have missed out on one of their top targets they thought they had to Bama
Benny said he is taking a visit to OSU. They want him at tackle. UM and UK are recruiting him at DL which is where he prefers. After missing on their top 4-5 tackles it is a probability that they push hard for Benny.

I'm with ya. To me what I'm interested in is how we do with other recruits we don't talk a lot about. Skinner, Gilliam, Arnold, Trigg, etc
Are we even in the top 5 for Gilliam? It looks like Arnold is down to UF, FSU, and Bama

Benny said he is taking a visit to OSU. They want him at tackle. UM and UK are recruiting him at DL which is where he prefers. After missing on their top 4-5 tackles it is a probability that they push hard for Benny.

Have read here lately that OSU is not really recruiting Benny very hard, at least not right now. It is UK/Michigan/Michigan St as I posted above. We will see if that changes.

Are we even in the top 5 for Gilliam? It looks like Arnold is down to UF, FSU, and Bama
Most seem to think its Bama or FSU for Arnold. As for Gilliam to my knowledge he hasn't released a top five yet. Hopefully we will make the cut

@Rock_Cat78 Do you know if the staff is still pursuing Javon Nelson? 4 star on Rivals and TOS. I know Clink is recruiting is in Tennessee now and I believe Nelson is good friends with Rybka as well

@Rock_Cat78 Do you know if the staff is still pursuing Javon Nelson? 4 star on Rivals and TOS. I know Clink is recruiting is in Tennessee now and I believe Nelson is good friends with Rybka as well

Not a name I have seen mentioned lately, but that isn't to say they aren't. Damon Payne and Rayshaun Benny are the two focal points right now I believe.

Reactions: Rembrandt90
Not saying it's going to happen, but certainly plausible they get both Payne and Benny for the DL.
UK has been the constant on Damon Payne's list of schools since he visited Lexington last September. Two out of the last three years, Steve Clinkscale has signed the top hs football player out of the state of MI. It's probably coming down to UK and Bama for Payne, and we have a solid chance to sign him for reasons summarized earlier on this thread.

Benny is a little more complicated because of the heavy involvement of Jim Harbaugh's instate program. But Coach Clinkscale is in a pretty good position to get him. Worth mentioning that Payne looks like a three-technique, while Benny looks like a five-technique in a 3-4 defense. They wouldn't be competing for the same defensive role.

As Rock Cat foresaw earlier on this thread, Coach Stoops has now received a verbal commitment from 6'3" WR Christian Lewis of Pleasant Grove, AL. Lewis holds at least six SEC offers plus an offer from ND. So far, neither of the two instate SEC schools has offered him, although Lewis' offer sheet is still one of the better sheets in UK's 2021 class. His commitment probably closes out WR recruiting for our 2021 class unless there is a decommit (unlikely). UK has apparently not had the kind of difficulty recruiting WRs predicted earlier by some commenters.

It is interesting that the state of AL is becoming a more regular part of UK's recruiting territory since Jon Sumrall joined our coaching staff. Coach Sumrall also signed DT Josaih Hayes out of MS in our 2020 class, and he is making a recruiting impact in the state of GA as well.

2021 UK class-
Wilson Berry, P, Australia (Pro Kick)
Dekel Crowdus, slotR, Lexington, KY
Christian Lewis, WR, Pleasant Grove, AL
Jordan Lovett, DB, Ratcliff, KY
Chauncey Magwood, WR, Leesburg, GA
Paul Rodriguez, OL, Mason, OH
Kahlil Saunders, DL, Huntsville, AL
Armond Scott, WR, Euclid, OH
Kaiya Sheron, QB, Somerset, KY
Joko Willis, LB, Independence CC, KS
David Wohlabaugh, OL, Stow, OH
LaVell Wright, RB, Ratcliff, KY

So far, UK's class is heavily slanted toward the offense. I expect that to begin to change soon.

I believe UK is still recruiting Nelson but he will be hard to pry away from UT.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT