ADVERTISEMENT

St. Johns says NO to the NIT

That was quick rick...

RzfcTvY.jpeg

The NIT is going to die. The portal opens the day after the NCAA Selection. These coaches are going to be locked in on the portal and the importance of that vs preparing for an NIT game.
I don't understand why the portal does t open until after the tournament. That still gives players a lot of time to make a decision, unlike football where you are running into spring enrollments.

But yeah, I see a lot of P4 teams going forward declining due to the portal, although I think many coaches are also leaving the decision to players.

I think another reason St. John's declined is the NIT no longer doing its Final 4 in MSG. I know there were sore feelings about that on the NYC area.

Reactions: BigTyrone
Good. Eff this sport trying to squeeze every dollar it can. It's a useless tournament.
I'd say there is value if you have a young team and want experience. For mid majors it's also still postseason basketball. It was fun to see WKU make the NIT final 4 in 2018 and beat Boston College, USC, and Oklahoma State to get there.

Reactions: bbncal02
What purpose does the NIT have now? With the portal almost no team will have the same roster next season. What’s the incentive of playing meaningless tournament?

I don't understand why the portal does t open until after the tournament. That still gives players a lot of time to make a decision, unlike football where you are running into spring enrollments.

But yeah, I see a lot of P4 teams going forward declining due to the portal, although I think many coaches are also leaving the decision to players.

I think another reason St. John's declined is the NIT no longer doing its Final 4 in MSG. I know there were sore feelings about that on the NYC area.
Agree on the date and I wonder if you’ll see a change. I didn’t realize the NIT moved to Hinkle.

What purpose does the NIT have now? With the portal almost no team will have the same roster next season. What’s the incentive of playing meaningless tournament?
Like I said, the only thing I would do it for would be my seniors to give them a shot a ending on a high note. Imagine you suffer a gut wrenching loss in your conference tourney and that's your last game of basketball.....ever.

Sucks.

I'd say there is value if you have a young team and want experience. For mid majors it's also still postseason basketball. It was fun to see WKU make the NIT final 4 in 2018 and beat Boston College, USC, and Oklahoma State to get there.

Mid majors I'm totally fine with, and agree with you.

Power conferences though, not so sure.

Like I said, the only thing I would do it for would be my seniors to give them a shot a ending on a high note. Imagine you suffer a gut wrenching loss in your conference tourney and that's your last game of basketball.....ever.

Sucks.

Honestly, I'd bet that's who voted against it. I don't think seniors give a shit about the NIT when it's a bigger program. They are looking towards the end of the season, transferring, Graduating, pro ball somewhere, etc.

The only way the NIT becomes relevant again would be if they turned into a play in tournament where the champion gets into the main NCAA Tournament bracket. You could expand the NCAA Tournament to 96 teams, but 32 play in the NIT with the champion getting in the main tournament. Since the NCAA owns the NIT now, I wouldn't be surprised if they tried this down the road.

Reactions: Cat06
Honestly, I'd bet that's who voted against it. I don't think seniors give a shit about the NIT when it's a bigger program. They are looking towards the end of the season, transferring, Graduating, pro ball somewhere, etc.
I think you forget that a great majority of seniors don't have the option to transfer (COVID year is about over), and most will never play pro ball.

I wish there was like a senior game where if your team didn't make it and isn't playing you could have a fun game. Maybe there is. Just don't see much about one.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
I think you forget that a great majority of seniors don't have the option to transfer (COVID year is about over), and most will never play pro ball.

I wish there was like a senior game where if your team didn't make it and isn't playing you could have a fun game. Maybe there is. Just don't see much about one.
I don't think guys care like they once did. Sure, once in awhile one of them probably struggles to take off the jersey for the last time but it just feels different from when guys like a Gerald Fitch or Erik Daniels played or a Patrick Sparks type guy. It killed those guys and you could tell. Now, I can't tell if guys are sad, mad, happy or just don't give a shit but it's different.

That was one of the things that was so heartbreaking watching march madness growing up was seeing Seniors lose that didn't want it to end. Now you have to beg guys to play. Guys may be more talented these days but they don't have the heart guys had back in the day.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT