ADVERTISEMENT

Sound of Freedom

I wonder if the Qanon crap spewed by some in the media about this movie would have been suggested had Disney released the movie? What reception would it have if Disney promoted the movie? Would be an interesting experiment. Would the movie have been politicized?

Reactions: chroix
I'm still waiting to hear why there was so much msm/social media opposition to this movie? More than any I can recall since maybe passion of the Christ. Of course all the odd opposition was dependably, predictably parroted.

One would think we could all unite on the issue that child trafficking is bad. Guess not.

I'm still waiting to hear why there was so much msm/social media opposition to this movie? More than any I can recall since maybe passion of the Christ. Of course all the odd opposition was dependably, predictably parroted.

One would think we could all unite on the issue that child trafficking is bad. Guess not.
It’s because it’s a Christian-backed movie and when a lot of Christians like something that usually means it’s bad. Child trafficking is obviously terrible though.

Remember a few weeks ago when folks thought SoF would hit $100m in revenue?

Try $150m...

Conservatives need to create their own "Hollywood"... the potential is there... especially as Hollyweird weakens in part due to conservative boycotts.
$14.5 million to make. Small budget movies that make this kind of a profit are usually in the media constantly with positive comments and often receive end of the year awards. This, along with the success of the Chosen, probably really help Angel Studios build a bigger market share.

For context, the Jesus Revolution was made with $15million and made $53 million.

Last edited:

The Fabian Marta news is all over social media and on a couple sites I've never heard of but they're pretty much going by what the above tweet says. Dude isn't exactly a household name so it's not shocking there aren't news articles all over the place about the guy being sketchy, a creeper, groomer, a kidnapper, or whatever the hell else he may be. Ironic though for sure.

For as little as a dollar, you could have helped fund the movie. https://invest.angel.com/freedom

Granted this is cryptic but Vanity Fair asked who funded it to the filmakers.

If this movie had been released shortly after it was made, that might have happened. Sound of Freedom was independently produced for a reported $14.5 million and financed mainly by a group of Mexican backers, according to the filmmakers. But like many other projects, the film lost its distributor when Disney acquired 21st Century Fox in 2019. Sound of Freedom remained on the shelf until it was picked up by Provo, Utah–based Angel Studios in 2023, with a plan to release the film in theaters around the country.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywoo...endently,backers, according to the filmmakers.

Everyone from the NYT, Axios, Mother Jones, ABC, CBS, CNN, MSN, MSNBC, who TF ever else that you could safely say is left-leaning media has not picked up the story from random twitter guy.

The guy even says in the screenshot that he got credit for being an early investor while he's humblebragging about being a financial partner - that again - not one of the outlets that opined about this movie a few weeks ago seems to be reporting of this SoF financier that is also kidnapping children.

But hey, I enjoy a good rabbit hole but this one was boring.

Reactions: drawing_dead
Can someone steelman whatever argument anyone would have that a spotlight shouldn’t be shined on the child trafficking industry, even if a movie shining the light was funded by kidnapper?

Can someone steelman whatever argument anyone would have that a spotlight shouldn’t be shined on the child trafficking industry, even if a movie shining the light was funded by kidnapper?

I'm old enough to remember when it was a good thing to have people that do bad things to children involved in your movies.

www.tampabay.com

tampabay.com​

Director of Disney film is molester​

The director of Powder, a new Walt Disney film about a troubled teenager, is a convicted child molester who once videotaped himself having oral sex with a 12-year-old actor.
The film's pending release has prompted the molestation victim, Nathan Winters, now 20, to go public with his ordeal to protest Disney's

https://www.tampabay.com/archive/1995/10/25/director-of-disney-film-is-molester/

These new rules of engagement confuse me.

I'm old enough to remember when it was a good thing to have people that do bad things to children involved in your movies.

www.tampabay.com

tampabay.com​

Director of Disney film is molester​

The director of Powder, a new Walt Disney film about a troubled teenager, is a convicted child molester who once videotaped himself having oral sex with a 12-year-old actor.
The film's pending release has prompted the molestation victim, Nathan Winters, now 20, to go public with his ordeal to protest Disney's

https://www.tampabay.com/archive/1995/10/25/director-of-disney-film-is-molester/

These new rules of engagement confuse me.
Lol... I'm SHOCKED... SHOCKED I tell you... that DISNEY would have child molesters as employees.

Sarcasm off/

Marta was evidently a crowd funder to free the movie for distribution. The article does not say anything about the facts of his case. I am not even sure why anyone feels this is relevant to a discussion about the movie. The reason Newsweek runs a story is hard to fathom.

Reactions: Stan the caddy
$14.5 million to make. Small budget movies that make this kind of a profit are usually in the media constantly with positive comments and often receive end of the year awards. This, along with the success of the Chosen, probably really help Angel Studios build a bigger market share.

For context, the Jesus Revolution was made with $15million and made $53 million.

You could say that but then again if $150m is your ceiling it is pretty low comparatively. Nothing to sneeze at but that is less than a lot of movies budgets. And it would be hard to consistently generate $150m from $15m. Add in distribution and marketing and anything under $65m-$80m is probably written off as a loss.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: WTF Cat
You could say that but then again if $150m is your ceiling it is pretty low comparatively. Nothing to sneeze at but that is less than a lot of movies budgets. And it would be hard to consistently generate $150m from $15m. Add in distribution and marketing and anything under $65m-$80m is probably written off as a loss.
Most low budget films that successfully compete with the high budget Hollywood are praised by the media.

I love how the Left continually tries to downplay the film's success.

They are scared to death we're going to drive Hollywood out of business. Lol.

I love how the Left continually tries to downplay the film's success.

They are scared to death we're going to drive Hollywood out of business. Lol.

I’m not downplaying anything. Simply discussing the economics of the film industry. It’s a thing I’ve tracked for a long time and am very interested in. I didn’t denigrate anything. You are looking for a fight that ain’t there.

I didn’t say anything about that so it’s a weird disconnected response but it is true they do.
Well, you quoted my post that contained that fact and then said, “you could say that, but …” I am not sure what I said that was relevant to your rebuttal. So, I reiterated the part upon which I assume there is no debate.

2-3x box office return vs production costs is the general rule for when it starts to be profitable so a very good one for sure. You just have to question how often you can do that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT