ADVERTISEMENT

Something we don't talk about

University-6

Sophomore
Sep 28, 2017
or at least we don't talk about enough.

Coaches look for a point guard to have a 2/1 assist to turnover ratio. This year the team has a better than 2/1 ratio. That ladies and gentleman is elite. Last game it was 23 assists to 6 turnovers. The team leaders in turnovers are Rob and Reed tied at 1.6 per game. That's just stupid good. Can anyone remember a team that valued the basketball as well?
When-Something-Blows-Your-Mind.gif

Coaches look for a point guard to have a 2/1 assist to turnover ratio. This year the team has a better than 2/1 ratio. That ladies and gentleman is elite. Last game it was 23 assists to 6 turnovers. The team leaders in turnovers are Rob and Reed tied at 1.6 per game. That's just stupid good. Can anyone remember a team that valued the basketball as well?
You make a very good point and it’s definitely nice to see the ratio, but I think (not sure) the uptake on the assist side may be the result of our great 3-point shooting. Seems like a pass to a player who directly hits a three-pointer from a spot-up is credited as an assist ???

Last edited:
.... well stated, and something we SHOULD be talking about, instead of having a peeing contest about who should be starting, how bad CCC is a coach, etc. I've given up on railing against Coach Cal. He's made changes for the betterment of the program, and is bringing a watchable product that is enjoyable to follow once again for us. That's enough for me.

I love the fact, after watching nearly 50 years of Kentucky basketball, seeing such a young team value that basketball each possession. Even much more experienced teams have failed in this regard. So it's amazing to see a young team like this really demonstrate what valuing the basketball means.

Love seeing this team's journey.

Go Big Blue !

.... well stated, and something we SHOULD be talking about, instead of having a peeing contest about who should be starting, how bad CCC is a coach, etc. I've given up on railing against Coach Cal. He's made changes for the betterment of the program, and is bringing a watchable product that is enjoyable to follow once again for us. That's enough for me.

I love the fact, after watching nearly 50 years of Kentucky basketball, seeing such a young team value that basketball each possession. Even much more experienced teams have failed in this regard. So it's amazing to see a young team like this really demonstrate what valuing the basketball means.

Love seeing this team's journey.

Go Big Blue !
Excellent post … the ball-movement on this team reminds me of Rupp’s Runts, quite frankly. They know how to move and protect the ball … !!!

Dillingham is 85th in the nation in assists per game
Reed is 107th
Wagner is 232nd

They averaged 12.3 assists per game to only 4.6 turnovers

That doesn't even factor in Tre Mitchell who helps run the offense from the foul line/3pt area. He's at 3.5 assists to 1.3 turnovers.

So the 4 guys who are most integral in getting the offense initated and running smoothly are 15.8 to 5.9 assists to turnover. Simply amazing.

Excellent post … the ball-movement on this team reminds me of Rupp’s Runts, quite frankly. They know how to move and protect the ball … !!!
you know, and thanks for the compliment.... I had this thought as well. I was wondering if I were the only one here that thought this.

When I look back at some of these games this year, and having seen how they tip the ball to another teammate, then pass it, getting the ball up the floor so lightning quick, and usually convert ( of course, that's the point) .... I swear it reminds me of the runts. They did that to perfection. For their size, it's how they made up for it. Ball movement as well, spacing, so many aspects, actually come to my mind.

Rupp's Runts were my dad's favorite team. I think he'd love this one. Rest in peace, pop.

True Blue till the end !

Go Big Blue !

you know, and thanks for the compliment.... I had this thought as well. I was wondering if I were the only one here that thought this.

When I look back at some of these games this year, and having seen how they tip the ball to another teammate, then pass it, getting the ball up the floor so lightning quick, and usually convert ( of course, that's the point) .... I swear it reminds me of the runts. They did that to perfection. For their size, it's how they made up for it. Ball movement as well, spacing, so many aspects, actually come to my mind.

Rupp's Runts were my dad's favorite team. I think he'd love this one. Rest in peace, pop.

True Blue till the end !

Go Big Blue !
There is little doubt that your Father loved Larry Conley, especially his passing and set-up ability. This team, as a group, is Conleyesque … in my opinion.

I definitely can’t remember a UK team that ever turned the ball over less. Especially considering how fast we play and how many possessions we have per game. Not to mention, 3/4 of our guards are freshmen. Very impressive!
Can you imagine a fantasy world where a UK fan billionaire offered all of our freshman $10 million each to come back for one more year?

Very good observation,, many just look at scoring or slim dunks. When you have basicly 3 point guards and a point forwards like Mitchell and Therio with the quick ball movement, good thing happen. To me, this ream is a through back, similar to Rupps Runts in modern times. Really enjoyable to watch but their defense and big men play will determine how far they go. A team can have a off offensive game and win with really good defense but your no likely to win with a off night in both.

You make a very good point and it’s definitely nice to see the ratio, but I think (not sure) the uptake on the assist side may be the result of our great 3-point shooting. Seems like a pass to a player who directly hits a three-pointer from a spot-up is credited as an assist ???
Bit of chicken and egg at work. You should shoot a higher percentage when you work the ball around and put shooters in a position to take their best shots.

Haven’t figured up the departure/scholarship/signees yet, but it would be awesome! Would we have room?
C - Bradshaw
F - Quaintance
F - Edwards
G - Sheppard
G - Wagner
----
G - Dillingham
G - Fland
F - Thiero
C - Onyenso
C - Cyril
F - Richmond
G - Perry
F - Burks
G - Hart

One player would have to go on walk-on status or transfer to make it happen.

I'm playing mega millions this month, so wish me luck. That's 1996-level talent.

Reactions: University-6
One thing I’ve keyed in in since the beginning of the year is a shift in individuals buying into moving the ball.

From day one Reed would advance the ball quickly down the floor with a pass instead of dribbling it down. Rob was a willing and often passer in the half court getting his teammates opportunities.

DJ would dribble the ball all the way down the court when he had it. And we know once Justin got the ball on the break there was no way he was going to pass even if there were two or more defenders in front of him.

Now you can slowly see a shift where these two will move the ball forward. It’s not a full-scale buy in yet as DJ still loves to dribble and Justin still looks for his, but we’re seeing them get rid of the ball more. This is probably a combination of years of playing this way and feeling the pressure of seeing their draft stock slide. I’d imagine that would make any of us press a bit if we were in that situation.

Plus overall it feels like much less Cal involvement DURING the game where for years we see players looking at the bench constantly in the middle of the game. Our guys are just playing ball now. It’s a blast to watch.

Plus overall it feels like much less Cal involvement DURING the game where for years we see players looking at the bench constantly in the middle of the game.
It's because this year the team actually does what Cal tells them to the first time. I know this board likes to circlejerk a bit about how Cal absolutely can't coach, but he's said numerous times this team listens to him during games. He said it's one reason why he hasn't really done that "Run, gooooo" thing this year.

This is a direct quote from Oscar last year: “Most of the time we don’t really run what Coach is asking us to do."

Cal's best teams are the ones he trusts. He's got that this year and he's visibly less frustrated on the bench. He's still as involved as he was in years past, the team just listens so he doesn't have to scream the same thing fifty times.

Great thread.

I know it's quite early now. But to put this in perspective if we maintained this for the season:

Right now we have the third best A/TO ration in the country.
  • Ulis/Murray year we were 55th
  • 38-1 Team was 17th
  • Anthony Davis' team was 40th
  • Bogans' team was 38th
  • '98 Championship team was 17th
(Unfortunately I can't find statistics before '98 yet. Would have loved to see '96)

Last edited:
In a post following a few games I stated that this was the best passing team I have seen here since the Runts. I also wondered if the return of the big men might affect that negatively. So far that seemingly hasn’t happened. The next couple of weeks will show us a lot.

True Blue till the end !

Go Big Blue !
Rupp's Runts were my dad and mom's favorite team, too. They're both up in heaven cheering for their Cats. Basketball season is a particularly hard time as they were such die hard fans. I guess that's where my blue blood comes from. I miss them terribly.

GO BIG BLUE!!!💙💙💙

Rupp's Runts is the year I began following UK basketball via radio. I first listened to a UK game when the Runts beat Vandy 105-90 in Nashville and Louie Dampier shot the lights out. I loved the way Cawood called the game and I kept tuning into every game on WHAS.

I went to high school in Connecticut, but I knew after the 1965-66 season that UK was the only school I was interested in attending. I loved my time there and yes, this team definitely reminds me of the style that the Runts played. It's such a pleasure to watch a team that can all handle the ball (excepting our two bigs at the moment), shoot from anywhere, and understands the game - at least from an offensive standpoint with the current team. I think our defence will improve because our players are too athletic not to. If and when that happens, this team is more than capable of bringinbg home #9.

Reactions: bfawns and Fox2monk
Rupp's Runts is the year I began following UK basketball via radio. I first listened to a UK game when the Runts beat Vandy 105-90 in Nashville and Louie Dampier shot the lights out. I loved the way Cawood called the game and I kept tuning into every game on WHAS.

I went to high school in Connecticut, but I knew after the 1965-66 season that UK was the only school I was interested in attending. I loved my time there and yes, this team definitely reminds me of the style that the Runts played. It's such a pleasure to watch a team that can all handle the ball (excepting our two bigs at the moment), shoot from anywhere, and understands the game - at least from an offensive standpoint with the current team. I think our defence will improve because our players are too athletic not to. If and when that happens, this team is more than capable of bringinbg home #9.
I started listening to KY BB in 1957. The 66 Runts are my all time favorite team! It broke my heart when they lost to Texas Western in the finals and later became the whipping boy team because they were all white. Name a team south of the Mason Dixon line that wasn't at the time!!
Listening to Caywood was descriptive enough to almost see the plays by radio. Rupp's Runts were great!

Reactions: UKrazycat2
The team is averaging an insanely low (9.2) TO/gm while having the highest # of possessions /gm in decades.
Wagner, is averaging only 1.37 TO/gm, the lowest by a starting PG in the Cal era, and the only PG in Cal era with less was Ulis off bench in 14-15 season.
Steal to TO ratio is a very good PG metric.
I think we’ve had only like 10 players in the 2000’s with more Steals than TO, ratio>1.0. This year the whole team is almost doing that 9.0:9.4 (0.96), with every player except Reeves ratio > 0.77. And his isn’t bad at 0.6. We’ve had teams with not 1 player with that high a ratio. Reed is at 1.74, a UK record (I think Dom. Hawkins has the record at 1.67).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT