ADVERTISEMENT

Something for fans to be excited about

ryanbruner

All-American
Gold Member
Sep 19, 2018
Augusta, GA
Cal is really changing things finally. We've asked for this to happen for a couple of years now and it seems to be what is going to happen.

Seems like we may be getting Coach O back........I believe we add 2 more players and another returnee......thats 12 players on scholarship + a team full of shooters and experience.

Mintz/Washington/Hickman
Grady/Frederick/Allen
Frederick/Allen/Hopkins
Brooks/Toppin/Hopkins
Oscar/Collins/Ware

Until I see them play and actually run an offense I will believe it, Cal says one thing and does another. I just will wait and see.
They were running different sets all season to get shooters open and they did get open a lot the problem is sometimes they needed the ball handler to penetrate and Askew and Boston just couldn't drive to the rim. I would imagine they run a little more of that to start the season than they did last season and they'll be fine because they'll have guys who should get to the rim and guys who can knock down open shots and when they don't Oscar and Collins will rebound. Its really that simple.

They were running different sets all season to get shooters open....
I've tried this, to say fairly simply that our offense isn't quite the relic from the 1940s that folks want to believe. You get nowhere. Calipari needs - in my humble view - to be a little more embracing of the 3 point shot. I think you can say all you want about kids shooting it, but until they see that you really value it, it's lost on them. but that aside, our offense isn't what some want to think. It's not much different than Duke or Kansas. Roy Williams plays 4 bigs, always 2 at one time, and has won 3 titles that way, including one 4 years ago. I think until we look like Villanova with no more than one post or maybe zero, some won't be satisfied.

I've tried this, to say fairly simply that our offense isn't quite the relic from the 1940s that folks want to believe. You get nowhere. Calipari needs - in my humble view - to be a little more embracing of the 3 point shot. I think you can say all you want about kids shooting it, but until they see that you really value it, it's lost on them. but that aside, our offense isn't what some want to think. It's not much different than Duke or Kansas. Roy Williams plays 4 bigs, always 2 at one time, and has won 3 titles that way, including one 4 years ago. I think until we look like Villanova with no more than one post or maybe zero, some won't be satisfied.
Yea I know and we do need to embrace the 3 just a little more but sometimes people don't understand what they're watching. We had shooters open last year but either they wouldn't shoot it or they would miss the shot. Dontaie had the problem in the middle of the season where he'd be open and he just wouldn't shoot. Thats why he lost playing time again.

Cal is really changing things finally. We've asked for this to happen for a couple of years now and it seems to be what is going to happen.

Seems like we may be getting Coach O back........I believe we add 2 more players and another returnee......thats 12 players on scholarship + a team full of shooters and experience.

Mintz/Washington/Hickman
Grady/Frederick/Allen
Frederick/Allen/Hopkins
Brooks/Toppin/Hopkins
Oscar/Collins/Ware
Love your optimism. In your scenario 6 of our top 8 guys have 2 seasons or more college basketball experience. Not sure that has ever happened here under Cal

Mintz/Washington/Hickman
Grady/Frederick/Allen
Frederick/Allen/Hopkins
Brooks/Toppin/Hopkins
Oscar/Collins/Ware
this front court will get shredded. 3 stretch 4s who can’t hit the three ball? 3 point guards? Lol I Fredrick will be a spot player, if he logs big minutes we are a bubble team if we re lucky. Now if you’re correct and this is the roster mintz will not be pg. he will start at the 2 and Washington will start.

I think that if IJ comes back, Brooks is gone. I like Ware's game and think he can become a solid player in 2 years.

Mintz/Washington/Hickman
Grady/Frederick/Allen
Frederick/Allen/Hopkins
Brooks/Toppin/Hopkins
Oscar/Collins/Ware
I’m sure Cal listened to your complaints, and revised his recruiting strategy accordingly.

Reactions: KyFaninNC
this front court will get shredded. 3 stretch 4s who can’t hit the three ball? 3 point guards? Lol I Fredrick will be a spot player, if he logs big minutes we are a bubble team if we re lucky. Now if you’re correct and this is the roster mintz will not be pg. he will start at the 2 and Washington will start.
3 stretch 4s? Collins and Oscar can both play the 4 neither are a stretch 4. Toppin may have been our best defender on the wing he will see time at the 3. Collins is considered an elite shot blocker Oscar won't be moved from the block he is to strong. This past season we got shredded defensively inside. Not seeing next season near as much. People think Askew was the whole problem when he would have looked way better if we had a single big who could finish inside. We didn't. Sarr couldn't score inside to save his life.

Reactions: YaySports
My two concerns with that lineup.
1. Lack of interior defense/shotblocking. Not to ton of length, and while probably a solid rebounding team, it will lack rim protection.
2. Great shooting but inability to penetrate. All of the wings are seemingly (great) spot up shooters, but lacks guys who can penetrate and create off the drive.

I still expect Cal to work the transfer market to find an elite level starting PG.

Reactions: deplion
Where is it coming from that “we may be getting Coach O back”?

That would be absolutely titanic news but I don’t see anything realistic indicating it’s even a possibility. No other front page threads mentioning it. No official talk about Cal being interested or O leaving Illinois. Yes, a few obscure bloggers have said “there are rumors” without giving sources. Rumors? This is Tubby To The Hawks stuff.

What I do read officially is that barring a miracle this will be Cal’s first season at UK without even a single top ten recruit on the roster.

We eat first. But what are we being fed?

Last edited:
EfyyhP5XoAEcTEz.jpg

Reactions: musrat59
I'm in wait and see mode on the changes. I hope he really is changing things but we wont see it til we hit the court.

I like that we’re getting more experienced players. Recruiting that way combined with really good high school players like Collins and Hickman is the way to go, IMO. I would love to see Coach O come back. I think he does a hell of a job as an assistant coach.

Mintz/Washington/Hickman
Grady/Frederick/Allen
Frederick/Allen/Hopkins
Brooks/Toppin/Hopkins
Oscar/Collins/Ware
BS!!!

About anything has to be an improvement over what we had to go thru this past Basketball season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT