ADVERTISEMENT

So Where Are the Wagner Bashers....

Well tbh him and edwards were 1-20 or something in that game so that dogging is a little deserved. I think though it was directed at cal though playing his favorites even when it’s evident there are guys playing better. It’s a stretch to accuse fans of any disdain toward Wagner.
Criticism is fine but I’ve seen plenty of people going past that even when they are playing well. Which they both have since that game.

Sorry I was lumping Edwards in there obviously. Wagner/Reeves/Dillingham/Edwards/Sheppard. We need those 5 to be CLICKING all year long and into March.

And then we need Mitchell/Bradshaw/Thiero/Big Z clicking.
Oh, gotcha. I agree it would definitely be good to have Edwards play well, and I actually think he’s played alright for a freshman up to this point – better than most would. Still, I believe what UK needs most from Edwards is rebounding and defense from the 4/3 position. And I think he needs to do a little better in those areas as the season goes on. I don’t think Edwards will ever be a Guard in the strict sense – even as a pro. A good future SF, yes. But certainly, at this point his shooting and scoring ability is deficient for a top SF in CBB. He can help UK best at this point at the 4/3 in my opinion. Being called a Guard for whatever reason and playing like a good one are two different things, obviously.

Reactions: Tampa_cat54
I don't think I wrote "DJ is awesome." Please stop putting words in my mouth.

You guys were out here saying the kid was a bust, he was overrated, he needs to be benched to give the good players minutes.

He's playing good. He's certainly not as bad as people made him out to be. I don't know if he's to a point I'd say he's "awesome" or a superstar. But kids that score 22 and 28 points don't need to benched.

You're right. Let's see how Miami goes. I'm sure a lot of people are going to have SOME criticism regardless of how well he does. But if he comes out and jacks up several bad 3's, I'll join you in saying he played poorly.
Show me where I said the kid was a bust, he was overrated, and he needs to be benched. SHOW. ME.

I am not a basher, but if Wagner and Edwards disappear in the tougher games coming up then I am confident they will make themselves known and rightfully so.

I’m glad he came out. I’m pissed more when Cal gives certain players more leash than others. I don’t criticize the players in a slump, I criticize Cal’s method of sacrificing a win to try to get his stars out of slumps. The bench is always the the best motivator.
Cal sees him in practice everyday. He knows better than any fan does. If he’s playing him as much as he is, it’s be because he knows he is the best option we have even if he’s in a slump. The player needs to know the coach has confidence In him, so he can get the confidence back in himself. And it seems to be working.

• Haha
Reactions: KFuqua and LmdCat
Tonight?

Dozens of threads bashing the kid after slower games, and none of you lining up to praise him when he plays well.

28 points tonight after 22 points against St. Joes.

Like I have been saying, WE NEED ALL 5 GUARDS TO BREAK THROUGH in order to get where we want to get to, yet some of you were almost celebrating his early struggles.

And now those "fans" are nice and quiet after these last 2 games.

GREAT to see all 5 guys play well, GREAT to see Wagner celebrating Dillingham's successes and vice versa, and GREAT to see this team beginning to click.

Excited where we go from here!
Great to see Wagner playing a lot better. Hopefully he continues playing like we thought he would before the season started.

I don't really think the word "selfish" is accurate here.

If a player takes a bad shot, there could be a whole host of reasons they felt they needed to take that shot.
It COULD be that. But jumping the gun on players I think is just flat out wrong here.

These are highly rated recruits that were absolute stars on their team. They are used to carrying the load for them. So what may seem like a bad shot, might just be a freshman pressing a little bit. Trying to do exactly what they've been doing their entire life. Sometimes, it just takes time to get away from those habits.

No it’s not. It’s the fact that we couldn’t guard down low . Dillingham made several bad plays at the end btw

Exactly. We got killed down low and then we had one of their players make back to back key 3s down the stretch (of which Dilly made mistakes on).

They executed down the stretch and we did not. Yes Wagner played a role in that but the entire team also fell apart. There wasn't one player after that under 4 timeout that made a big play.

Cal sees him in practice everyday. He knows better than any fan does. If he’s playing him as much as he is, it’s be because he knows he is the best option we have even if he’s in a slump. The player needs to know the coach has confidence In him, so he can get the confidence back in himself. And it seems to be working.
The same Cal who saw Whitney in practice everyday and played him, while Quickley sat the bench?

There’s going to be plenty of games where are our 3’s aren’t falling. When they do, Wagner becomes our most important player with his ability to get to the rim at will.

Now that’s he’s quickly getting more comfortable with finishing, you’re going to see more games like Marshall than not.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Does it qualify as bashing if you question the minutes based on the metrics? DJ has played very well for three straight halves. I’ll be more excited when he does it versus a team with a pulse. But he’s been good recently, and the Cats need it to be elite. Also wouldn’t hurt to get a rim protector back. I think all four guards need to be great. Think Edwards, Thiero, Mitchell, and one of the 7 footers need to handle the lions share of the 4/5 mins. This current team is one piece away from being really, really good.
It becomes bashing when it drones on thread after thread, endless harping on the same numbers over and over constantly drilling the kid for the same thing endless beating and pounding time and time again, thrashing and wailing while beating the dead horse…..wash rinse repeat. That’s bashing. That’s what happened

Reactions: Tampa_cat54
It becomes bashing when it drones on thread after thread, endless harping on the same numbers over and over constantly drilling the kid for the same thing endless beating and pounding time and time again, thrashing and wailing while beating the dead horse…..wash rinse repeat. That’s bashing. That’s what happened
Wow that's not true at all...you are the biggest, most effeminate drama queen this board has ever seen.

leavebritneyalone.gif

Reactions: LmdCat and KFuqua
I won't demand that he is benched as long as he remembers there are always 4 teammates on the court with him. He did a very good job of that tonight. Moving forward, we know that he realizes that whether he plays that way or not.
LOL! Who are you to demand anything? Ain't no one listening to demands from ill-informed and lowly knowledgeable fans

Reactions: JFCats22
LOL! Who are you to demand anything? Ain't no one listening to demands from ill-informed and lowly knowledgeable fans

Lmao that is exactly what I thought. What a strange thing to say by him. I mean, nevermind the fact that Wagner is 2nd on the team in assists and has a 2.5 to 1 Assist-to-Turnover ratio.

We're all sooo relieved to hear that LMD won't be demanding a benching as long as he personally makes that guy happy.

Last edited:
BY GAWD, he is an entitled KY fan that personally runs the team and suffers mentally and financially with each loss. Nobody and I mean NOBODY does it better.

Tonight?

Dozens of threads bashing the kid after slower games, and none of you lining up to praise him when he plays well.

Like I have been saying, WE NEED ALL 5 GUARDS TO BREAK THROUGH in order to get where we want to get to, yet some of you were almost celebrating his early struggles.

GREAT to see all 5 guys play well, GREAT to see Wagner celebrating Dillingham's successes and vice versa, and GREAT to see this team beginning to click.

I would say do it Tuesday against Miami and I’ll start believing ,after all , this was Marshall.

I’d say most important is playing defense. Pointless to lose 110 - 102. Better to win 62 -58. Don’t give a damn how Wagner does offensively if he blows Miami up on defense.

One of Miami's guards is a super defender. Will be interesting to see who he guards and how he does. They shoot it great, two or three of them can burn you up from the outside. Our best chance is getting into their bench, where we have a clear advantage.

Tonight?

Not bad against JV teams....but you can't win an NCAAA championship playing only JV teams. So don't make him NPOY just yet...remember how he did against Kansas.

Some are definitely showing bias here.

We've played one good team all year. The majority of the good performances we've had this season by all players have been against poor competition. Yet no one said anything during those games when they were occurring and when it was other guys doing it.

Not mentioning anyone in particular just be consistent. One way or the other

Reactions: bookerfan66
Hell man, that droning goes on with every topic on this board.

True because every topic often hates on KY.
You seem a little triggered. The numbers are there to ask the question. The one decent game DJ had was against a Dantoni lead defense. Let's see if he can build on it. But the skeptics exist because the numbers simply prove it, and that keeps happening from game to game. Skepticism isn't bashing.

Reactions: LmdCat
You seem a little triggered. The numbers are there to ask the question. The one decent game DJ had was against a Dantoni lead defense. Let's see if he can build on it. But the skeptics exist because the numbers simply prove it, and that keeps happening from game to game. Skepticism isn't bashing.
Naw, anyone that gets spotlighted that crapped on the cats gets trigger ed. They don’t like being dragged out of the blue mist and exposed.

• Haha
Reactions: LmdCat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT