ADVERTISEMENT

So Where Are the Wagner Bashers....

I won't apologize for pointing out that Wagner was playing poorly and that specifically his shooting was not good and his decision making just was bad. His body language was bad, head down, head shaking, and visibly frustrated. He didn't look the part, and neither did Edwards. The back-ups (Sheppard and Dillingham) were outplaying Wagner and Edwards, and it really wasn't close. You could argue those 2 back-ups are STILL outplaying the starters.

Now, having said all that, I am absolutely THRILLED those guys have had some good games, made plays, made shots, led the team in scoring. That is exactly what the team needed and still needs. This is especially important until we get the big men available and we only have 8 players for now. We need all 8 to play well if we're going to beat teams that are quality.

I don't think anyone should apologize for speaking their minds on the coach and team. It's part of being a UK fan. We take it seriously and we want to win every game. So, when we don't, folks have things to say. And sometimes, even when we win and it could have been a better effort, we talk about it. I don't have a problem with it.

Hey pal. We just played Marshall. Maybe quote all those times I said to watch what he does against real competition.

I believe we play a team with a pulse next. Let’s see what he does in that one, deal?
Hey pal, why don’t you learn how to evalauate talent instead of knee jerk reactions on an 18 year old kid who is playing major college basketball for a grand total of 5 games. Loud mouths like you who never played the game at any level beyond high school are quick to disparage players without any experience or knowlege of the degree of difficulty in competing against D1 talent.

Reactions: gharding07
Hey pal, why don’t you learn how to evalauate talent instead of knee jerk reactions on an 18 year old kid who is playing major college basketball for a grand total of 5 games. Loud mouths like you who never played the game at any level beyond high school are quick to disparage players without any experience or knowlege of the degree of difficulty in competing against D1 talent.
Yawn.

• Haha
Reactions: LmdCat
Most of what I saw about DJ was around the Kansas game, in which he played too much and took too many shots. When you have a lot of guys who can play, just play the ones who are on that night.

Reactions: LmdCat and dl51344
I’m glad he came out. I’m pissed more when Cal gives certain players more leash than others. I don’t criticize the players in a slump, I criticize Cal’s method of sacrificing a win to try to get his stars out of slumps. The bench is always the the best motivator.

This. Noone criticized him. It was nearly giving away a game trying to get he and Edwards going.

That said, Wagner still needs to adjust his game vs better competition. He surprisingly lacks the elite athleticism to blow by defenders and his scoop is inconsistent and easily defended by good athletes.

Imo the adjustment needs to be a paint floater or pull up.

You must have not been on this board then the first 3 games of the season.

The revisionist history by some on here is something else.

He was getting HAMMERED. Half of the threads on the first page were about him and how much he stinks and he shouldn't be playing.

Completely revisionist history if that is what you think.
You’re only setting yourself up to get called out on his next off game (which is probably coming sooner than later). These types of posts are silly.

He and Edwards are improving but let’s slow our roll a little bit.

I'd say the guy who scored 22 last game and 28 this game gave us a pretty good chance to win. Do you think he didn't give us a good chance to win?

Tonight, DJ had 28 points and got 26 minutes. Reed (who seems to be the guy everyone wants DJ minutes to go to) also got 26 minutes.

So on a night he goes for 28, Cal STILL gave Wagner the same minutes as DJ. The narrative is out of control.
Lulz most people, including me, were referencing the KU game. Also, a few other games where Wagner played like crap. He’s looked much better past two games. That’s great for UK. However, Cal likely cost us the KU game by sticking with him too long.

I won't apologize for pointing out that Wagner was playing poorly and that specifically his shooting was not good and his decision making just was bad. His body language was bad, head down, head shaking, and visibly frustrated. He didn't look the part, and neither did Edwards. The back-ups (Sheppard and Dillingham) were outplaying Wagner and Edwards, and it really wasn't close. You could argue those 2 back-ups are STILL outplaying the starters.

Now, having said all that, I am absolutely THRILLED those guys have had some good games, made plays, made shots, led the team in scoring. That is exactly what the team needed and still needs. This is especially important until we get the big men available and we only have 8 players for now. We need all 8 to play well if we're going to beat teams that are quality.

I don't think anyone should apologize for speaking their minds on the coach and team. It's part of being a UK fan. We take it seriously and we want to win every game. So, when we don't, folks have things to say. And sometimes, even when we win and it could have been a better effort, we talk about it. I don't have a problem with it.
This! Agree with this and what @EliteBlue said. This was DJ’s first complete game, if we are being honest. He was real efficient in this game. Fact of the matter is, Dilly/Shep have been efficient and played great in almost every game to date.

Reactions: IL Wildcat

Great post!! These sensitive bunny ears are really trying to defend Cal's decision to possibly lose games in order to elevate one player's draft profile. There isn't another coach in the country who would have made the decision to keep two better players on the bench so that two others with higher preseason rankings could continue making enough bad choices to lose the KU game. I am thrilled that Wagner played one game that is close to the hype he came with. I will be even happier if he continues to demonstrate that he really believes "playing team ball is more fun."

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
He could play great the rest of the season and the same miserable people will be on here talking about that one time against Kansas
.. grow the f up is what half this fan base needs
You grow up.

We've got discussions on this forum discussing Nazr's missed FTs in the 97 game for crying out loud. We've got discussions on the shot clock violations in 2015. We've got discussions about how sick some of the guys were in the 66 game.

The discussion point is valid. AND if you could read above an eighth grade level you'd seen that.

• Love
Great post!! These sensitive bunny ears are really trying to defend Cal's decision to possibly lose games in order to elevate one player's draft profile. There isn't another coach in the country who would have made the decision to keep two better players on the bench so that two others with higher preseason rankings could continue making enough bad choices to lose the KU game. I am thrilled that Wagner played one game that is close to the hype he came with. I will be even happier if he continues to demonstrate that he really believes "playing team ball is more fun."
More receipts. Dis you?

Wagner is dumb as rocks.

Reactions: LmdCat and Fox2monk
Lulz most people, including me, were referencing the KU game. Also, a few other games where Wagner played like crap. He’s looked much better past two games. That’s great for UK. However, Cal likely cost us the KU game by sticking with him too long.
And I quote from you “the chance that DJ could be our best guard is laughable”. It’s only November and you’re nervous hahahaha

Reactions: gharding07
I will apologize for my comments on Wagner, but, he also changed the way he was playing also.

The only bashing I noticed was fans actually angry at Cal for how he was dividing up the minutes.

I wouldn't call legitimate criticism of any player as "bashing," but you do you.
I'm figured Wagner would get going and it appears he has.
But i wouldn't read too much into this Marshall game one way or the other.
They play literally NO defense whatsoever.

Reactions: Lukeslaw
I will apologize for my comments on Wagner, but, he also changed the way he was playing also.
Why should you apologize for your comments about Wagner? It should be obvious to anyone but agenda posters that yours as well as others posts about Wagner were about his play and not the person unless you are one of the rare few who knows him personally. I have no apology for what I posted as he is yet to apologize for his selfish play. However, I will have future complements for him when they are earned as future criticism for him if he reverts back to previous selfish play.

Last edited:
Like I have been saying, WE NEED ALL 5 GUARDS TO BREAK THROUGH in order to get where we want to get to, yet some of you were almost celebrating his early struggles.

Like I have been saying, WE NEED ALL 5 GUARDS TO BREAK THROUGH in order to get where we want to get to, yet some of you were almost celebrating his early struggles.
I don't think Hart is going to be relied on for anything this season, but I believe you would agree that we'll be good with just the other 4 Guards as long as everybody stays relatively healthy.

Tonight?

Dozens of threads bashing the kid after slower games, and none of you lining up to praise him when he plays well.

28 points tonight after 22 points against St. Joes.

And now those "fans" are nice and quiet after these last 2 games.

GREAT to see all 5 guys play well, GREAT to see Wagner celebrating Dillingham's successes and vice versa, and GREAT to see this team beginning to click.

Excited where we go from here!
Kid balled out of control, he just needed time to get used to how to score at this level. He started using his strengths and is now knocking down some open shots. Very very nice to see!

Relax there Tampacat. Idk anyone who was concerned about Wagner except for his KU performance. You make him sound like lost cause wheeler.
There were plenty dogging him on here. Saying he’s the reason we lost to KU isn’t right either. Not his best game but defense and having no big man were the reason we lost.

I don't think Hart is going to be relied on for anything this season, but I believe you would agree that we'll be good with just the other 4 Guards as long as everybody stays relatively healthy.

Sorry I was lumping Edwards in there obviously. Wagner/Reeves/Dillingham/Edwards/Sheppard. We need those 5 to be CLICKING all year long and into March.

And then we need Mitchell/Bradshaw/Thiero/Big Z clicking.

Reactions: G-PIP and Fox2monk
Tonight?

Dozens of threads bashing the kid after slower games, and none of you lining up to praise him when he plays well.

28 points tonight after 22 points against St. Joes.

And now those "fans" are nice and quiet after these last 2 games.

GREAT to see all 5 guys play well, GREAT to see Wagner celebrating Dillingham's successes and vice versa, and GREAT to see this team beginning to click.

Excited where we go from here!
He's on fire.....except for Kansas. But these tough teams outside of conference play and blue bloods are tough too. Marshall was a strong 2-3 team. Good on him I say!

100%. Boston got way too long. Wheeler got damn near 2 seasons.

But people were calling for DJ to be benched 3 games into the season. I’ll bash Cal for A LOT of things, but I agree with letting DJ ride it out.

And most people wanting CJ benched are citing Reed’s minutes. The great thing is, Reed continues to play GREAT.
Loved it when Reed had an open 3, had guys running at him and he did a really quick pass to DJ for a wide open 3

Reactions: bbncal02
I'm done with this. You're dead set he's selfish

No sense trying to have a conversation with you.
Good you feel this way. You only want a conversation with posters who agree with you. So, nothing lost without your conversation. However, I don't believe you can resist firing back a reply.

Good you feel this way. You only want a conversation with posters who agree with you. So, nothing lost without your conversation.

lol at this. Pot meet Kettle. I've engaged with SEVERAL posters who have opposite view points, including you. I just choose not continue it when there's no ground to be made. You aren't going to change your mind. And I don't want to waste my time trying.

lol at this. Pot meet Kettle. I've engaged with SEVERAL posters who have opposite view points, including you. I just choose not continue it when there's no ground to be made. You aren't going to change your mind. And I don't want to waste my time trying.
If this is the way you feel, why do you keep responding? It isn't for you to change my mind. The player is the only one who can change my mind. He said, "playing team basketball is more fun." Time will tell if he really means it.

Last edited:
Again, pot meet kettle.

And on that, I'll let you have the last word, since that's apparently what all you want.

Have a good one.
There is no way that you can resist not responding. It might not be today, but you will be back! Lol

Different year, same morons. You can say someone is playing like sh*t AT THAT MOMENT IN TIME and be right, even when they have a better game later.

DJ Wagner had a nice game against Marshall. MARSHALL. Congrats to everyone "bringing receipts" today. LOL. Clowns. Do you still think Edwards is a potential overall #1 pick in the NBA draft, or do you need more time to gather those receipts?

He’s not. He’s not better than Dilly or Shep. Like how you’ve disappeared for 2/3 weeks, and just came out of the woodwork to chirp. Lulz
Not disappeared at all just been busy deer hunting, you know, the stuff real men do. Wagner could be their best guard we shall see. No mention of you bashing him??? What a putz.

There were plenty dogging him on here. Saying he’s the reason we lost to KU isn’t right either. Not his best game but defense and having no big man were the reason we lost.
Well tbh him and edwards were 1-20 or something in that game so that dogging is a little deserved. I think though it was directed at cal though playing his favorites even when it’s evident there are guys playing better. It’s a stretch to accuse fans of any disdain toward Wagner.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT