ADVERTISEMENT

So Where Are the Wagner Bashers....

You must have not been on this board then the first 3 games of the season.

The revisionist history by some on here is something else.

He was getting HAMMERED. Half of the threads on the first page were about him and how much he stinks and he shouldn't be playing.

Completely revisionist history if that is what you think.

We had ppl on here saying they would rather have BJ Boston back over Wagner…😳

• Haha
Reactions: LmdCat
I'm done with this. You're dead set he's selfish

No sense trying to have a conversation with you.
I am dead set that he was playing selfishly. If tonight is the way he plays the rest of the season, I will have nothing but good things to post about him. His game tonight is what you expect of your point guard. As I previously mentioned, the fact that he mentioned playing team ball was more fun during his postgame interview is a clear indication that coaches talked to him about it.

Last edited:
These players are not student athletes. They are hired guns making sh*tloads of cash. Should really be considered professional athletes. So they are fair game.
I heard a rumor that not one single player is making less than $200k.

• Wow
Reactions: LmdCat
That one left handed layup he had where he was fully stretched out and barely squeezed by the defender from the right side of the basket was phenomenal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cats192
Y’all are weird. Most ppl were saying he was struggling and the bench was better but we needed him to live up to his billing to be the best version of ourselves. This was his first good game. Last game he had some numbers but inefficiently. This is a great performance but he still probably shouldn’t be the focal point of the offense unless it’s driving and finishing at the rim or a wide open 3

It's comical how people try to change history so much when they are wrong.
It's also comical how people inflate crap, or straight make their own definitions for the word "bash". Wether you care to admit it or not, Wagner played like crap the first three games. Period. He would probably even tell you the same. This may shock you, bit fans weren't impressed with the so called lottery pick. I'm not sure why that's so confusing for you. Or why fans wanted two red hot guys to get more minutes. Dude, fans were upset, but mostly towards Cal. No need to make this into something by stirring the pot and making crap up.

Y’all are weird. Most ppl were saying he was struggling and the bench was better but we needed him to live up to his billing to be the best version of ourselves. This was his first good game. Last game he had some numbers but inefficiently. This is a great performance but he still probably shouldn’t be the focal point of the offense unless it’s driving and finishing at the rim or a wide open 3
Except he had 22 points and 6 assists last game.

That's not a good game?

Reactions: Seakat311
Point being, it's taken several of our dudes a few games over the years to get rolling. Wagner, no different. And there were indeed some posts going a bit overboard beyond normal criticism. We do this every, single, year.

That's not a good game?
If you want to just focus on total points and exclude his 7 of 17 shooting of which several of the missed shots were layups, it was player of the year worthy. However, if you want to be honest, he played a good second half minus his decision to take that wild drive to the basket at the end of regulation when Reeves was open for a much better shot.

Reactions: dl51344
It's also comical how people inflate crap, or straight make their own definitions for the word "bash". Wether you care to admit it or not, Wagner played like crap the first three games. Period. He would probably even tell you the same. This may shock you, bit fans weren't impressed with the so called lottery pick. I'm not sure why that's so confusing for you. Or why fans wanted two red hot guys to get more minutes. Dude, fans were upset, but mostly towards Cal. No need to make this into something by stirring the pot and making crap up.
The 1st game, he had 13 points, 4 assists, 1 turnover. Shot 6/13.
The 2nd game he had 11 points, 3 assists, 1 turnover. Shot 5/13.

That's 12 points, 3.5 assists, 1 turnover on 42% shooting for his 1st 2 games in college. I don't think that's "played like crap."

The Kasnas game was absolutely a bad game. But I'm not going to decide a kid is awful 3-4 games into a season.

I think Cal is guilty of giving some kids way too long. But 3-4 games aint it.

OP is perhaps the biggest shit stirrer on this site. On a night that we play like this, he's on here being divisive. We should be pleased with how the guys played, but no, he's on here inventing stories.

Reactions: SemperFiCat
The 1st game, he had 13 points, 4 assists, 1 turnover. Shot 6/13.
The 2nd game he had 11 points, 3 assists, 1 turnover. Shot 5/13.

That's 12 points, 3.5 assists, 1 turnover on 42% shooting for his 1st 2 games in college. I don't think that's "played like crap."

The Kasnas game was absolutely a bad game. But I'm not going to decide a kid is awful 3-4 games into a season.

I think Cal is guilty of giving some kids way too long. But 3-4 games aint it.
But aren't you deciding he's awesome just 5 games into the season as well?

You're just as bad as the so-called "bashers."

Let's wait for the Miami game to pronounce whatever level he is.

Reactions: dl51344 and LmdCat
But aren't you deciding he's awesome just 5 games into the season as well?

You're just as bad as the so-called "bashers."

Let's wait for the Miami game to pronounce whatever level he is.
I don't think I wrote "DJ is awesome." Please stop putting words in my mouth.

You guys were out here saying the kid was a bust, he was overrated, he needs to be benched to give the good players minutes.

He's playing good. He's certainly not as bad as people made him out to be. I don't know if he's to a point I'd say he's "awesome" or a superstar. But kids that score 22 and 28 points don't need to benched.

You're right. Let's see how Miami goes. I'm sure a lot of people are going to have SOME criticism regardless of how well he does. But if he comes out and jacks up several bad 3's, I'll join you in saying he played poorly.

He played well, and I'm happy to see that. But I already said people like YOU would be herp-derping after we beat lowly Marshall, predicted to be seventh out of EIGHT in their own conference, and that the wiser thing would be to wait until the Miami game to get a true assessment of Wagner's development. You're as predictable as the sun coming up in the east and about 1 millionth as bright. Nevertheless, it's good to see Wagner showing more confidence.
Lmao you sure did! I remember the thread! 🤣 and, here we are!

Ok, well I'm not going to carry on a conversation with anyone that results to talking about penises to get out of admitting that they're wrong. Jesus. Glad there is an ignore feature.

Only thing I heard was jay Williams say he should transfer to UL. I have seen and heard nothing but uk fans cheering him on to reach potential. It all sounds made up to me
Here are just a few gems:

But never earned it.

Dilly has done this every game and I’m sure he’s done it in practice. Best scorer on the team and it’s not even close. He’s the best future pro on the squad as well.

He needs to stop shooting. If not, he needs to find a place on the bench!

Not sure why anyone ever thought he was supposed to be some great shooter to begin with. He didn’t exactly light it up from 3 in HS either.

Plays more like Brandon Boston than DeAaron Fox.

He doesnt impress me in any facet of his game though!
How the hell was he top 2or 3 in the country?!

He really can’t do much of anything. He can play defense, but not really any better than the other guards.

I said after last game and got roasted, we’re better with DJ on the bench. Can’t shoot a lick. That may change as the year goes, but right now, play Dilly.

Teams are going to stop guarding him outside and his only offensive attribute which is driving - is going to be eliminated.

It’ll happen soon with that 11% he’s firing up there …

Last edited:
I was saying during the Kansas game, he was awful and people will complain, but you have to give him more time to figure it out. Have to believe in the pedigree.
Bingo.

We didn't decide DJ was a great prospect based off 3 or 4 games. We're going to decide he's a bust after 3-4 games?

You really don't have any convictions if you change your mind on a recruit 3 or 4 games into the season.

This! Play the guys in particular games that give you the best chance to win. This isn’t a difficult concept to understand. Lulz

I'd say the guy who scored 22 last game and 28 this game gave us a pretty good chance to win. Do you think he didn't give us a good chance to win?

Tonight, DJ had 28 points and got 26 minutes. Reed (who seems to be the guy everyone wants DJ minutes to go to) also got 26 minutes.

So on a night he goes for 28, Cal STILL gave Wagner the same minutes as DJ. The narrative is out of control.

I'm done with this. You're dead set he's selfish

No sense trying to have a conversation with you.
Like I said. Some of our fans feel they have to create heroes and villains on the team. To him, DJ is the villain in this situation. It’s weird

I’ll be the first to admit, I thought Wagner was hunting for his niche with this team early. That resulted in some selfish plays. I thought he played way too many minutes against Kansas but that’s on Cal, not him. He seems to have figured it out and is doing more driving than jump shooting. He’s also getting it done in the flow of the offense. In the first couple games, there were times the ball never touched anyone else hands before he forced something. I’m glad he’s figured it out and hope he continues to play this way all year.

Too many people turned this into a Rob vs DJ or Reed vs DJ deal. I would think we’d all want whoever is hot playing the most minutes that night. Saying someone is playing below their rankings at a time isn’t bashing, it’s being observant. I hope every night is like tonight for him.

I don't think I wrote "DJ is awesome." Please stop putting words in my mouth.

You guys were out here saying the kid was a bust, he was overrated, he needs to be benched to give the good players minutes.

He's playing good. He's certainly not as bad as people made him out to be. I don't know if he's to a point I'd say he's "awesome" or a superstar. But kids that score 22 and 28 points don't need to benched.

You're right. Let's see how Miami goes. I'm sure a lot of people are going to have SOME criticism regardless of how well he does. But if he comes out and jacks up several bad 3's, I'll join you in saying he played poorly.
Not saying you are wrong, but I personally never saw one post stating he was a bust.

Glad to see he's playing much better against weaker competition. Let's see how it goes against Miami and UNC. I want the kid to play well....I really do.
He could play great the rest of the season and the same miserable people will be on here talking about that one time against Kansas
.. grow the f up is what half this fan base needs

A squirrel finds a nut every once in a while.
Well,

Squirrels frequently find nuts. That's how they survive. Blind squirrels...

In all seriousness. I've slammed Cal for a lot of things. I wanted Cal fired in the off-season.

I don't think this is a blind squirrel finding a nut. The dude has done a 180. We've recruited shooters. We've adapted the offense. We're shooting 3's at a record pace under Cal.

He was guilty of giving some guys way too long. But it wasn't at the 4 game mark. I think most reasonable coaches give BJ Boston several games. I think Cal let it run too long.

Taking Cal out of it: I think Mark Few, Tommy Lloyd, Bill Self, Tom Izzo all give DJ more than 4 games before sending him to the bench. I don't say this in defense of Cal. I think it was the right coaching decision.

And most of us sensible, true fans said, "calm down, it sometimes takes a couple games to get into the swing of it, he'll be fine, he needs to play through it, it'll click for him, yada yada yada" and you all called us Cal homers and said that Wagner sucks, Cal should bench him, he should never shoot again, etc.

Just eat your crow and be done with it.

You brought receipts…nicely done!

Why not bring some more receipts?

Wagner sucks ass.

DJ wagner sucks balls. Personally i hope he tranfers like the Dukie said.
We dont we win shit with him. Lol wheeler was better💯

Cal is a idiot, and Wagner is overrated

Wagner is absolutely awful. Cant even hit a layup.

Edwards and Wagner suck ass

Wagner = Archie Goodwin 2.0

Wagner & Edwards should be limited to mop up duty. They are god awful basketball players.

This was from about 5-7 minutes worth of looking. Yet some on here want to pretend like it didn't happen.

WILD.

Not saying you are wrong, but I personally never saw one post stating he was a bust.
The biggest issue people had was with him starting over reed. A ton of people here wanted to see that change. I’m glad that didn’t happen.

But yeah there were still some “DJ is awful” posts none the less

I was very worried about him early on and wondered if he could be unselfish enough to gel with this group, but he impressed me tonight. I just hope he doesn't feel the need to take every important shot and can continue to finish and look for his teamates.

So I'll take my crow with left over gravy and stuffing.😁

Why not bring some more receipts?

This was from about 5-7 minutes worth of looking. Yet some on here want to pretend like it didn't happen.

WILD.
Good stuff. Funny you didn’t find any from me since you lumped me in that group with zero evidence. You clearly misunderstood my “heroes and villains” comment. You also said you checked my post history but you clearly did not. I was taking a beating trying to explain why DJ should NOT be benched.

Last edited:

That's not a good game?
It wasn’t an efficient game to include an OT. He still took a fair amount of bad shots trying to search for his. This was is first complete game.

If you don’t agree then go ahead and say you only look at the box score and don’t understand the complexity of basketball.

Didn’t say anything thing bad about him; just the facts. I hope he repeats tonight for the rest of the season. But the StJoes game was his “force it to find it” game. He found it this game. Let’s hope it continues forward

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT