ADVERTISEMENT

So tired of sitting through 3-4 months of garbage basketball

alot of people are. This idea that the process is we have to watch games like this in December for the promise of March is absurd.
It is absurd. When Cal was at Memphis, every fan base, including ours, called Cal a sleazy salesman. Maybe he's not sleazy, but he's quite the salesman. He's got tons of pumpers believing there's some magic formula that will turn things around come March. There's not.

I have a solution. Quit watching and quit posting.

Wouldn't a better answer be something besides a Smart-A$$ remark. No one makes you read what the poster said. Let's face it, Cal was not a good coach today, and clearly got out coached This is a young team, and he needed to call a TO with 9.5 seconds left and settle them down and give them the play. They were confused on that last play, and the last shot was $hit, from almost the center line, and off balance. 9.5 seconds is a lot of time to set up a play.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

Wouldn't a better answer be something besides a Smart-A$$ remark. No one makes you read what the poster said. Let's face it, Cal was not a good coach today, and clearly got out coached This is a young team, and he needed to call a TO with 9.5 seconds left and settle them down and give them the play. They were confused on that last play, and the last shot was $hit, from almost the center line, and off balance. 9.5 seconds is a lot of time to set up a play.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!
So, do you agree with the comment made by the OP that we play 3-4 months of garbage basketball? I think that is a silly comment not backed up by the data. That's what generated my smart ass remark. BTW, I agree completely with the rest of your comments above.

That is a stupid way to go through life. Just telling someone to quit when they are concerned with something and voice that concern. People who want things to be better don't just give up on it. They talk about the issues and what it would take to fix it. Would you tell your kids to quit when they are struggling with something or would you stick with them and try to figure out what the problem is and how to fix it?

So, do you agree with the comment made by the OP that we play 3-4 months of garbage basketball? I think that is a silly comment not backed up by the data. That's what generated my smart ass remark. BTW, I agree completely with the rest of your comments above.
Data? What data? Even the games we win we look like garbage. College basketball is supposed to be FUN to watch. This isn’t fun to watch and if you think it is, you’re just wrong

That is a stupid way to go through life. Just telling someone to quit when they are concerned with something and voice that concern. People who want things to be better don't just give up on it. They talk about the issues and what it would take to fix it. Would you tell your kids to quit when they are struggling with something or would you stick with them and try to figure out what the problem is and how to fix it?
The OP said, and I quote...."So tired of sitting through 3-4 months of garbage basketball." I thought that was an ignorant comment not backed up by the data. I stand by that. You want to prove me wrong?

Data? What data? Even the games we win we look like garbage. College basketball is supposed to be FUN to watch. This isn’t fun to watch and if you think it is, you’re just wrong
We've had good records for the vast majority of Cal's tenure. To say we play 3-4 months of "garbage basketball" is simply wrong. If you can't see that, I can't help you.

Yeah, that's exactly what we need, a full pumper takeover of the board. Get anyone who dares to criticize King Cal out. Then we can read all about the positives of 10 regular season losses and how we didn't even really want that #1 ranked guy that's going to Duke ( again )

Last edited:
I won’t quit watching but not spending 3-4 grand to travel and watch bad basketball. Will never quit watching and supporting but not making the effort to travel to these type games in December.
Dude, I wasn't addressing you. I was addressing the silly comment by the OP that we play 3-4 months of garbage basketball every year. You can do whatever you want.

Yeah, that's what we need, a full pumper takeover of the board. Get anyone who dares to criticize King Cal out. Then we can read all about the positives of 10 regular season losses and how we didn't even really want that #1 ranked guy that's going to Duke ( again )
Or, we can just let trolls like you who complement other trolls via likes take over the board. GFY

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!
a bad 3 when you only need two is never a good play, and yes it is bad basketball

with the hope that MAYBE we’ll get it going by March and be capable of a Final Four run. This team is so far behind of where I thought they’d be. I’m just tired of this.
Garbage game, that was a hell of a game. Sucks to lose, but dude double pumping fading out of bounds for 3 with a hand right in his face not much you can dude. Kid played out of his mind. I will agree I am getting tired of the growing pains and losses to teams that have no right beating us, but that was a great game. When we lost Travis we looked lost at times.

Dude, I wasn't addressing you. I was addressing the silly comment by the OP that we play 3-4 months of garbage basketball every year. You can do whatever you want.

lets break that concept down for a bit.

There is no shortage of fans on here that will tell you November and December we are still figuring it out. "Losses in December don't matter" right?

So when does the light bulb go off for players in "the process". My perspective of the process is when Cal supposedly has a very talented team but its not translating into dominant performances consistently or in the case of this team...not yet. Does the light bulb go off in January? Do we expect to see good offensive flow and strong defense by February?

so if you define today as garbage basketball, its December 8th.

We are 9 games into a what? a 31 game give or take season? 30% of the season? At what % do we get to say its not garbage basketball?

I've had fans on here tell me - and these are everything is fine crowd that its February or even Mid February before the players get it, but then look out because we'll be on a tear going into March.

So February? Now we're 20ish games in and we've got 75%ish of the season behind us?

I think its a discussion worth having.

Garbage game, that was a hell of a game. Sucks to lose, but dude double pumping fading out of bounds for 3 with a hand right in his face not much you can dude. Kid played out of his mind. I will agree I am getting tired of the growing pains and losses to teams that have no right beating us, but that was a great game. When we lost Travis we looked lost at times.
I don't want to have a hell of a game with Seton Hall, I want to kick their tails which we could do if we don't shoot 30%. I also don't want to lose to a Kansas State in march

Last edited:
We've had good records for the vast majority of Cal's tenure. To say we play 3-4 months of "garbage basketball" is simply wrong. If you can't see that, I can't help you.
And of course, you are so blinded by your blue glasses you missed the point. I SAID even in a lot of games we won, it was garbage basketball. No flow to the offense, fouls and turnovers, that's GARBAGE basketball. We won A LOT of those games simply because we had superior talent. Plain and simple

You don't see a slippage in play?
Depends on your time frame. Since the KAT team, yeah we've slipped somewhat. We went to the final four in 2011, 2012, 2014 and 2015. We should have gone to the final four in 2017 except for getting jobbed vs. UNC in the elite 8. Sweet 16 last year. We went through a Final Four dry spell from 1999 to 2011 when guys not named Calipari were coaching UK. His overall record is one of excellence. You don't agree? You think we should fire him for someone else? Name that coach.

Reactions: JC43
The pumpers and defenders are a very small sample of fans. I can't tell you how many times in the last 2 years that I've heard friends, family, season ticket holders and diehard fans say the exact same thing. You know it's getting bad when rational and usually positive but realistic fans also have a negative view of the state of our program.

I understand the OP, and this is the first season I have any sympathy at all with the chicken littles.

That being said, I have this nagging feeling that a lot of the people in the OP's camp were the same who were saying "I miss watching a team grow up over multiple seasons".

If you can tolerate "rebuilding seasons" of past regimes, where you were happy to make the sweet 16, then why isn't it better to have "rebuilding months" that you've seen resurrected many times into great March runs?

I think it just has to do with expectations. Rarely in history have we ever hit that many final fours in such a short span, and now anything else feels excruciating.

Depends on your time frame. Since the KAT team, yeah we've slipped somewhat. We went to the final four in 2011, 2012, 2014 and 2015. We should have gone to the final four in 2017 except for getting jobbed vs. UNC in the elite 8. Sweet 16 last year. We went through a Final Four dry spell from 1999 to 2011 when guys not named Calipari were coaching UK. His overall record is one of excellence. You don't agree? You think we should fire him for someone else? Name that coach.
You will NOT find a post where I said I want Cal fired or quit, all I ever say is that he has to have top 5 talent for him to make a FF,and he is not getting that. I want him to get recruits that will stay 3/4 years and coach them up. My big issue with Cal is stubborness to not change anything, that is what got Tubby, being hard headed and not change things.. The turnover with less than top talent is our big problem. We have no offense that I see, and that switching man gets us in trouble, got Reid fouled out trying to stop a guard out front. Just change Cal.

It is very hard to make FF,but that don't mean we have to watch shitty basketball in the meantime.

I am tired of fans acting like there is no reason to be displeased with what is going on. No UK is not going to win it all every year, but today was bad basketball. Then for Cal to blame the players for not calling timeout was very poor optics. Cal micro-manages the entire game and then becomes hands off with his self proclaimed inexperienced teams. Why?

I hope Cal figures this out and elevates the play but truth is there are warning signs and anytime a fan wants to discuss they get their ass reamed about not being a fan, who else is gonna coach, you think you could do better, go find a different team. All that stupid crap. It’s a message board and believe it or not, some people actually like reading other points of view. Cal’s overall tenure in my opinion has been off the charts good but there are signs of slippage. That doesn’t mean I want Cal gone, hate the kids or whatever else.

I understand the OP, and this is the first season I have any sympathy at all with the chicken littles.

That being said, I have this nagging feeling that a lot of the people in the OP's camp were the same who were saying "I miss watching a team grow up over multiple seasons".

If you can tolerate "rebuilding seasons" of past regimes, where you were happy to make the sweet 16, then why isn't it better to have "rebuilding months" that you've seen resurrected many times into great March runs?

I think it just has to do with expectations. Rarely in history have we ever hit that many final fours in such a short span, and now anything else feels excruciating.

no doubt that is part of it

but its also , for me anyways , the reality of the situation.

We have never...ever..won a national championship with a team that played poorly in December. Yes, we've had national championship teams lose in December, but that is different than playing poorly, and its waay different than having to teach a team to play fundamental basketball for 3 months in the hopes they are good enough to beat established teams.

There is just no history - at least since '78 that should make anyone believe this approach is capable of creating championship basketball.

And that's not to say we expect to win it, but as Cal said, we want to be in the conversation. We are not going to be in the conversation training up 5 to 7 freshmen each year to lead the team. Early on when Cal came in with gangbusters we got the benefit of the doubt,. Heck we got the benefit of the doubt this year by ranking us #2. I bet that doesn't happen again if he brings in a group of good but not outstanding talent.

Anyone paying attention should now realize there is a ceiling with a team of this kind of makeup - at least in a normal year of college basketball. Its not about Tyler Herro going 0'fer in a game. Its about the fact that Tyler Herro shouldn't be in a position where we have to count on him to hit big shots as a good but not elite basketball player in December.

I agree.

We count on this magical "appreciate the journey" phrase. We'll get good by the end of the year. We may lose 8-10 games a long the way.

Why is it Kansas and Duke seem to be good from the start every season?

Historically, we've had all Freshmen--and we accept that there's a learning curve. Now other schools are getting one and done's. And they don't seem lost and out of place like ours due much of the time.

I am tired of fans acting like there is no reason to be displeased with what is going on. No UK is not going to win it all every year, but today was bad basketball. Then for Cal to blame the players for not calling timeout was very poor optics. Cal micro-manages the entire game and then becomes hands off with his self proclaimed inexperienced teams. Why?

I hope Cal figures this out and elevates the play but truth is there are warning signs and anytime a fan wants to discuss they get their ass reamed about not being a fan, who else is gonna coach, you think you could do better, go find a different team. All that stupid crap. It’s a message board and believe it or not, some people actually like reading other points of view. Cal’s overall tenure in my opinion has been off the charts good but there are signs of slippage. That doesn’t mean I want Cal gone, hate the kids or whatever else.
Agree Cal's overall tenure has been positive. I was simply responding to a silly comment by the OP who said we play garbage basketball for 3-4 months per year. That simply isn't true. We play tons of young guys and that leads to inconsistency particularly earlier in the season. Having said that, we've played some pretty good ball in those first 3/4 months if you care too look back at the results....the WVU win on the road last year wasn't bad, eh?

Reactions: awf
Agree Cal's overall tenure has been positive. I was simply responding to a silly comment by the OP who said we play garbage basketball for 3-4 months per year. That simply isn't true. We play tons of young guys and that leads to inconsistency particularly earlier in the season. Having said that, we've played some pretty good ball in those first 3/4 months if you care too look back at the results....the WVU win on the road last year wasn't bad, eh?

losing to UT twice .....

Reactions: StevieJFTW07
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT