ADVERTISEMENT

So tired of sitting through 3-4 months of garbage basketball

I guess you missed the part where I said Cal won’t be here very long if he doesn’t get things fixed. You’re basically trying to say Cal and Tubby had similar results and anyone without a brain dead agenda knows that’s a complete lie.

I’m saying the last 4 years of both are very similar .

Cals strung together 4 years equal to tubbys last 4 years (if this season is going the way it seems). And yet people still are still worshipping cal and hated tubby.

With some it’s the recruiting gives them misguided hope for the next year .... you want to bash that psychological aspect too?
No, he hasn't, and you're barking up the wrong tree with this one. I would never deny that Tubby's skin color played into his treatment by certain UK fans. I'm not that naive or politically motivated to pretend the world is completely color-blind. But I think many of those same fans are likely to be the people who hate Cal's emphasis on the NBA the most, and the ones yearning for more in-state 3 star kids because they "bleed blue".

Tubby's last 4 years saw a 2nd round loss as a 1 seed (worse than any tournament loss Cal has had), a near-miss FF trip (but one where they would have been enormous underdogs vs UNC, or Illinois if they pulled a miracle and beat UNC), and 2 thoroughly mediocre teams that looked over-matched any time they played a strong team, with some of the worst recruiting in the history of the school (so not a lot of hope for the future).

And those 4 years were preceded by 6 that weren't particularly great as a whole (after the 1st).

The trend is definitely down for Cal, and he needs to make this year a viable team to avoid justifiable criticism. However, his history at UK overall is vastly superior to what Tubby's was, and that has more to do with why people are willing to give (potential) consecutive bad seasons, and 3 in 4 years, more of a pass than Tubby got.

Cal might need to think about what he was doing at Memphis. He didn't have a one and done factory there. He had a core that he built, and then supplemented it with superstar talent. Chris Douglass-Roberts, Joey Dorsey, Robert Dozier, Antonio Allen- those weren't superstar HS players looking for the fastest escape route to the NBA.

Reactions: skcatfan
I’m saying the last 4 years of both are very similar .
Two years ago we lost in the EE to UNC in let’s say a very controversial way. We win that game I’d say we were the favorites to win it all. The year before we were screwed by the committee as usual or a decent tourney run was possible. Even last years disappointing team made it to the Sweet 16. Those are definitely not Tubby like results at the end of his time here.

No, he hasn't, and you're barking up the wrong tree with this one. I would never deny that Tubby's skin color played into his treatment by certain UK fans. I'm not that naive or politically motivated to pretend the world is completely color-blind. But I think many of those same fans are likely to be the people who hate Cal's emphasis on the NBA the most, and the ones yearning for more in-state 3 star kids because they "bleed blue".

Tubby's last 4 years saw a 2nd round loss as a 1 seed (worse than any tournament loss Cal has had), a near-miss FF trip (but one where they would have been enormous underdogs vs UNC, or Illinois if they pulled a miracle and beat UNC), and 2 thoroughly mediocre teams that looked over-matched any time they played a strong team, with some of the worst recruiting in the history of the school (so not a lot of hope for the future).

And those 4 years were preceded by 6 that weren't particularly great as a whole (after the 1st).

The trend is definitely down for Cal, and he needs to make this year a viable team to avoid justifiable criticism. However, his history at UK overall is vastly superior to what Tubby's was, and that has more to do with why people are willing to give (potential) consecutive bad seasons, and 3 in 4 years, more of a pass than Tubby got.

Cal might need to think about what he was doing at Memphis. He didn't have a one and done factory there. He had a core that he built, and then supplemented it with superstar talent. Chris Douglass-Roberts, Joey Dorsey, Robert Dozier, Antonio Allen- those weren't superstar HS players looking for the fastest escape route to the NBA.

I’m afraid cals built the system in a way there is no going back.... there might not be a way to lure guys willing to stay 3-4 years after preaching go early no matter what for 10 years

Why are "the trolls" the ones that want the best for UK?
My comments to the OP were based on a nonsensical comment about UK fans have to "sit through 3-4 months of garbage basketball." Our regular season SEC records don't back up his B/S assertion.
17/18 10-8 (SEC was the best in my memory)
16/17 16-2
15/16 13-5
14/15 18-0

My comments to the OP were based on a nonsensical comment about UK fans have to "sit through 3-4 months of garbage basketball." Our regular season SEC records don't back up his B/S assertion.
17/18 10-8 (SEC was the best in my memory)
16/17 16-2
15/16 13-5
14/15 18-0

You proved you are incapible of being rational when you excuse 8 losses because sec was the best in memory

That’s no excuse ..... you made a point but floundered it when you tried to make that an excuse for a crap record. We are UK. We should be a top 10 team..... not some middle of the pack program

Reactions: KyFaninNC
You proved you are incapible of being rational when you excuse 8 losses because sec was the best in memory
So you're showing your true troll like qualities...10-8 ....make that 13-8 when you include the SEC tournament beat downs. Yeah, that's just a horrible record. Right.

Reactions: awf
I’m afraid cals built the system in a way there is no going back.... there might not be a way to lure guys willing to stay 3-4 years after preaching go early no matter what for 10 years
Maybe, and if so, he has a problem.

But the other part is that there is no coach who has the potential to turn things around more quickly. Think about his first year at UK. He could do that again to pull himself out of this lull, and I don't know if anyone else could. Cal's not getting the elites that he used to, and the scouting seems slightly off, which might be tied to the need for sheer numbers in recruiting classes, but that can change instantly if another John Wall or Anthony Davis comes along.

I've mentioned before that Krzyzewski had a major lull. He won in 92, giving him 5 consecutive FF's and back-to-back titles. The 93 Duke team still had Hurley and Hill (and the other Hill), but lost in the 2nd round. The 94 team wasn't great, but rode Grant Hill to a final appearance. 95 was a fiasco (blamed on poor Pete Gaudet), 96 wasn't much better, and 97 was merely a decent team that got knocked out in the 2nd round. Laettner had become Parks, Hurley had become Wojo, and Hill had become Jeff Capel, and it wasn't very good. But then Duke pulled consecutive great recruiting classes, and it was back to business as usual.

Success at the level Cal had from 06-15 isn't self-sustaining, and maybe Cal needed to be reminded of that (and maybe this is the year that happens).

Last edited:
So you're showing your true troll like qualities...10-8 ....make that 13-8 when you include the SEC tournament beat downs. Yeah, that's just a horrible record. Right.

Go troll f*** your mother. 13-8 is mediocre no matter how you slice it.

And get this.... SEC tournament isn’t part of the 3/4’s of garbage..... that’s part of the 1/4th .. so you don’t get to include it

We’ve lost 13 of our last 28 games against non mid major schools

Let that sink in. Everyone that acts like things are fine.... they are not fine. This is tubbys last two years bad. But cal is white so he gets better treatment from

That’s no excuse ..... you made a point but floundered it when you tried to make that an excuse for a crap record. We are UK. We should be a top 10 team..... not some middle of the pack program
Your expectations are whacked

Go troll f*** your mother. 13-8 is mediocre no matter how you slice it.

And get this.... SEC tournament isn’t part of the 3/4’s of garbage..... that’s part of the 1/4th .. so you don’t get to include it
Ah yes...showing your true colors again? Everybody's a tough guy hiding behind the annonimity of the internet. I also forgot to mention the road win at WVU, the 30 point beatdown of many on this board's favorite team (U6)..the close loss to Kansas. Just real garbage basketball, eh moron? GFY

Ah yes...showing your true colors again? Everybody's a tough guy hiding behind the annonimity of the internet. I also forgot to mention the road win at WVU, the 30 point beatdown of many on this board's favorite team (U6)..the close loss to Kansas. Just real garbage basketball, eh moron? GFY

You throw out the words troll then act as if you were above it all. Nice try loser.

Depends on your time frame. Since the KAT team, yeah we've slipped somewhat. We went to the final four in 2011, 2012, 2014 and 2015. We should have gone to the final four in 2017 except for getting jobbed vs. UNC in the elite 8. Sweet 16 last year. We went through a Final Four dry spell from 1999 to 2011 when guys not named Calipari were coaching UK. His overall record is one of excellence. You don't agree? You think we should fire him for someone else? Name that coach.

Folks, can we please stop the blue tint narrative that has now become the go to saying with the blue tint crowd: name the coach

Just stop. The vast majority of Kentucky fans don’t want Calipari Fired, but they want him to look in the mirror.

This is the season where the blue tints have finally become more ridiculous than the overall negative posters

I am tired of fans acting like there is no reason to be displeased with what is going on. No UK is not going to win it all every year, but today was bad basketball. Then for Cal to blame the players for not calling timeout was very poor optics. Cal micro-manages the entire game and then becomes hands off with his self proclaimed inexperienced teams. Why?

I hope Cal figures this out and elevates the play but truth is there are warning signs and anytime a fan wants to discuss they get their ass reamed about not being a fan, who else is gonna coach, you think you could do better, go find a different team. All that stupid crap. It’s a message board and believe it or not, some people actually like reading other points of view. Cal’s overall tenure in my opinion has been off the charts good but there are signs of slippage. That doesn’t mean I want Cal gone, hate the kids or whatever else.

Ding ding ding

Reactions: Wildcat-in-STL
Folks, can we please stop the blue tint narrative that has now become the go to saying with the blue tint crowd: name the coach

Just stop. The vast majority of Kentucky fans don’t want Calipari Fired, but they want him to look in the mirror.

This is the season where the blue tints have finally become more ridiculous than the overall negative posters
Ok. I'll stop. I'm out. I happen to think Cal has made some mistakes in recruiting. I was simply responding to over the top comments from people who obviously aren't UK fans. How anyone can say our results have been "garbage" is beyond me. I assume you agree with that assessment.

Ok. I'll stop. I'm out. I happen to think Cal has made some mistakes in recruiting. I was simply responding to over the top comments from people who obviously aren't UK fans. How anyone can say our results have been "garbage" is beyond me. I assume you agree with that assessment.

The basketball we’ve played this year has mostly been garbage. Well, like 95% of it

Obviously aren’t UK fans my ass. You throw out the word troll to anyone that doesn’t agree with you

OK, I'll accept your premise you are a dyed in the wool UK fan. I think your assessment of our program is seriously flawed.

My assessment is that 3 out of the last 4 years under the new ncaa rules... have been poor. Tubby was pushed out for 4 similar years. And that’s this year.. if it keeps going this way ... I’m not including 2015 because the rules went into effect the summer after

You should be able to see that things are troublesome.

The basketball we’ve played this year has mostly been garbage. Well, like 95% of it
Are you sure it's not 100%? I mean it's obvious we're just horrible with all those double digit wins (I know they're "cupcakes" and we should have beaten them by 50). Also, there's no way we're going to get any better, right? Herro, Hagans, Johnson, EJ ....even though they're Freshman they'll continue to stink all the way through the season.

Are you sure it's not 100%? I mean it's obvious we're just horrible with all those double digit wins (I know they're "cupcakes" and we should have beaten them by 50). Also, there's no way we're going to get any better, right? Herro, Hagans, Johnson, EJ ....even though they're Freshman they'll continue to stink all the way through the season.

:okay:

But it’s obvious you were a tubby defender so eff off
Altho it has been 12-15 years, the same posters here that defend Cal are also the ones that defended Tubby up to the point that Tubby left town in the middle of the night, they still defend him. So, are they really true UK fans, or are they just fans of the coach?

Altho it has been 12-15 years, the same posters here that defend Cal are also the ones that defended Tubby up to the point that Tubby left town in the middle of the night, they still defend him. So, are they really true UK fans, or are they just fans of the coach?

I honestly do believe some ex Memphis and Umass fans became "UK fans" just because of Coach Cal and that they're not truly UK fans but John Calipari fans. I absolutely do.

Tubby was pushed out because he didn’t have UK in the title discussion nearly as often as Cal does.

Tubby did not recruit and was a lazy recruiter.

Tubby force fed his son down our throat over better players and flat out lied as to the reason the better players didn’t play

Tubby wanted his son(s) on his staff in spite of nepotism policies.

Cal has definitely got some looking in the mirror to do as the record against major conference opponents has slipped. K took away his we are young excuse he has relied on when they kicked our ass with all that young talent.

But Cal gets more slack because despite his losses he has kept UK in the national conversation far more than Tubby ever did.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT