ADVERTISEMENT

So tired of sitting through 3-4 months of garbage basketball

Yeah, that's their new spin. Good records, good recruits, good losses, good recruiting misses. Come play for us, we're the silver standard. Everybody's AFC championship game. We eat second

We use to be a VIP and had a reserved table at a fancy restaurant. The waiter would bring us a fine wine and ask if we wanted the usual. Now we just get to be first in line at the Golden Corral all you can eat buffet.

Coach Cal is heading for his 4th straight year of no Final Fours. With 3 of the 4 very poor results (unless they turn this season around). He also is on the verge of losing 9 or more games in 5 of the last 7 seasons. That is the kind of stuff that got Tubby ran out of town.

Reactions: CROCAT
yea I can see why since your trying to change the focus.

the topic is garbage basketball for most of the season.

If you want to talk about the merits of the SEC tournament we can do that
Isn't the whole purpose of a season is to get better as the year goes on? Is a 10-8 record in the regular season last year "garbage" basketball, particularly with a team of basically Freshman? Really? In a season where the SEC was a really good league? I guess my definition of "garbage" is way different than yours.

So, do you agree with the comment made by the OP that we play 3-4 months of garbage basketball? I think that is a silly comment not backed up by the data. That's what generated my smart ass remark. BTW, I agree completely with the rest of your comments above.

I agree with you, that was a silly comment, but I feel he has the right to his belief, even though you and I don't agree with him. I hope we never all agree on here, or we will be like a bunch of lemmings. I love to see different opinions on here, even though I don't agree with a lot of them, and I don't expect them to agree with me on a lot of my opinions. That's what makes this a good board. We can agree to disagree. I don't think it's good, and I'm not talking about you, for posters to call someone idiots, morons, etc. Where I come from, those would be fighting words, and that's not good, especially at my age. The main thing is, it's disrespectful.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

I understand the OP, and this is the first season I have any sympathy at all with the chicken littles.

That being said, I have this nagging feeling that a lot of the people in the OP's camp were the same who were saying "I miss watching a team grow up over multiple seasons".

If you can tolerate "rebuilding seasons" of past regimes, where you were happy to make the sweet 16, then why isn't it better to have "rebuilding months" that you've seen resurrected many times into great March runs?

I think it just has to do with expectations. Rarely in history have we ever hit that many final fours in such a short span, and now anything else feels excruciating.

Thoughts on our discussion from this summer?

In 2011, we went 22-8 in the regular season..that's not terrible but it's not great either..Decent or barely good at best when you consider some of those wins were against cupcakes in November and December.

In 2013, we were 21-10 in the regular season with really barely any good wins throughout the season.

In 2014, we were 22-9 in the regular season..worse than in 2011 not just in the loss column but we didn't have very many good wins in the regular season in 2014 either.

In 2016, we went 23-8 in the regular season..a few good wins in the regular season.

In 2017, we went 26-5 in the regular season with not that many good wins..but still was by far our best regular season besides the 09-10 season, the 11-12 season, and the 14-15 season

In 2018, we went 21-10 in the regular season.

Those are some pretty ugly regular seasons overall. Thank goodness for unexpected and shocking (for most people) deep Tourney runs in 2011 and 2014.

Isn't the whole purpose of a season is to get better as the year goes on? Is a 10-8 record in the regular season last year "garbage" basketball, particularly with a team of basically Freshman? Really? In a season where the SEC was a really good league? I guess my definition of "garbage" is way different than yours.

no, each year the goal is the same - to win the national championship.

the problem here is under Cal we've started redefining what the purpose is - to watch players grow, to recruit one and dones, to get players drafted -

its a singular purpose that has been the goal every year UK basketball has played. To win the national championship. Some years you may not have a realistic shot, its understandable, but you plan on each season with that singular goal in mind.

In this case - bad losses translate to seeding challenges in March, seeding challenges in March means we've made it harder on us to reach our stated goal (or what should be our stated goal). Somewhere in this freshmen players first approach, many fans have decided that November and December are nothing more than glorified practice months. You can just disregard a loss like this or a loss to UCLA or to UNC as just part of the process.

It should never be accepted as part of the process.

Reactions: awf and KyFaninNC
Thoughts on our discussion from this summer?
Way too far back. I'm sure I said that UK would be a dominant 3 loss team or something like that. Still have no idea why they aren't. This is the most confusing roster disappointment since.. well, Duke or Michigan State two years ago.

no doubt that is part of it

but its also , for me anyways , the reality of the situation.

We have never...ever..won a national championship with a team that played poorly in December. Yes, we've had national championship teams lose in December, but that is different than playing poorly, and its waay different than having to teach a team to play fundamental basketball for 3 months in the hopes they are good enough to beat established teams.

There is just no history - at least since '78 that should make anyone believe this approach is capable of creating championship basketball.

And that's not to say we expect to win it, but as Cal said, we want to be in the conversation. We are not going to be in the conversation training up 5 to 7 freshmen each year to lead the team. Early on when Cal came in with gangbusters we got the benefit of the doubt,. Heck we got the benefit of the doubt this year by ranking us #2. I bet that doesn't happen again if he brings in a group of good but not outstanding talent.

Anyone paying attention should now realize there is a ceiling with a team of this kind of makeup - at least in a normal year of college basketball. Its not about Tyler Herro going 0'fer in a game. Its about the fact that Tyler Herro shouldn't be in a position where we have to count on him to hit big shots as a good but not elite basketball player in December.

It was before I was born but the 1958 team lost three games in December. So we have that going for us.

Reactions: ukgrad2004 and awf
lets break that concept down for a bit.

There is no shortage of fans on here that will tell you November and December we are still figuring it out. "Losses in December don't matter" right?

So when does the light bulb go off for players in "the process". My perspective of the process is when Cal supposedly has a very talented team but its not translating into dominant performances consistently or in the case of this team...not yet. Does the light bulb go off in January? Do we expect to see good offensive flow and strong defense by February?

so if you define today as garbage basketball, its December 8th.

We are 9 games into a what? a 31 game give or take season? 30% of the season? At what % do we get to say its not garbage basketball?

I've had fans on here tell me - and these are everything is fine crowd that its February or even Mid February before the players get it, but then look out because we'll be on a tear going into March.

So February? Now we're 20ish games in and we've got 75%ish of the season behind us?

I think its a discussion worth having.

Seeding in the tournament is key. Digging yourself a big hole with bad losses early is just asking for a screwing by Emmert &Co

Reactions: KyFaninNC
Way too far back. I'm sure I said that UK would be a dominant 3 loss team or something like that. Still have no idea why they aren't. This is the most confusing roster disappointment since.. well, Duke or Michigan State two years ago.

Wrote quite a bit about how Michigan would have no chance of beating Kentucky this year.

Dude, I wasn't addressing you. I was addressing the silly comment by the OP that we play 3-4 months of garbage basketball every year. You can do whatever you want.

Maybe was an over the top comment but should not be taken apart by some data.

How many "It's November, "It's December", "Cal plays for March" comments do we see on here. Too many to count.

It's a process, we're young, I have to teach them things they should already have learned.

These things describe something below average. And so it goes.

Cal HAS to play for March because his approach generally precludes anything else.

Reactions: StevieJFTW07
It is absurd. When Cal was at Memphis, every fan base, including ours, called Cal a sleazy salesman. Maybe he's not sleazy, but he's quite the salesman. He's got tons of pumpers believing there's some magic formula that will turn things around come March. There's not.
That "formula" is having seen him do it multiple times.

Reactions: Jkwo
Wrote quite a bit about how Michigan would have no chance of beating Kentucky this year.
Based on Cal's track record with teams that have this much returning talent, UK really should be better than UM (and everybody else) right now, even given UM's strong start. There is absolutely no reason why this squad, on paper, shouldn't be Cal's third best team.

They're obviously not, though. And if for some reason Cal can't turn this one around (which he still can), I'd rather have Michigan turn out to be the best team in the country than any other big-conference contender, so I'm certainly not booing you guys.

lets break that concept down for a bit.

There is no shortage of fans on here that will tell you November and December we are still figuring it out. "Losses in December don't matter" right?

So when does the light bulb go off for players in "the process". My perspective of the process is when Cal supposedly has a very talented team but its not translating into dominant performances consistently or in the case of this team...not yet. Does the light bulb go off in January? Do we expect to see good offensive flow and strong defense by February?

so if you define today as garbage basketball, its December 8th.

We are 9 games into a what? a 31 game give or take season? 30% of the season? At what % do we get to say its not garbage basketball?

I've had fans on here tell me - and these are everything is fine crowd that its February or even Mid February before the players get it, but then look out because we'll be on a tear going into March.

So February? Now we're 20ish games in and we've got 75%ish of the season behind us?

I think its a discussion worth having.

I don't think I've seen over 2 posts suggesting everything is alright. Even the biggest sunshine pumpers, which I guess I am because I support Cal 100%, no everything is not fine right now.

If everything is just about practicing for March, then I wish we'd quit scheduling power five teams early in the season. It does nothing for the fans when we lose to those teams, besides show we're a long ways away. I dont even look forward to them unless I feel like we are the favorites. And it does nothing for bragging rights over the other fan bases when we've been owned by Kansas, UCLA (except for the sweet 16 in '17) and other teams since 2015.
I feel like all the people who enjoy the process so much every year must be people who really enjoy character development on tv shows and think deaths are beautiful send offs for characters.

Last edited:
So, do you agree with the comment made by the OP that we play 3-4 months of garbage basketball? I think that is a silly comment not backed up by the data. That's what generated my smart ass remark. BTW, I agree completely with the rest of your comments above.
Where the hell have you been? Except for 3 seasons, our regular seasons under Cal have mostly been totally garbage.

Take away Cal’s luck runs in 2011 and 2014 and you see a more accurate picture of what Cal is.

Besides, it’s clear whatever magic he had in his first 5-6 years is long gone now. That magic being elite players.

We’ve lost 13 of our last 28 games against non mid major schools

Let that sink in. Everyone that acts like things are fine.... they are not fine. This is tubbys last two years bad. But cal is white so he gets better treatment from some people

Reactions: ukgrad2004
I don't think I've seen over 2 posts suggesting everything is alright. Even the biggest sunshine pumpers, which I guess I am because I support Cal 100%, no everything is not fine right now.

its not about everything is alright now, its the attitude of dismissing these losses and poor play under the idea that everything will be fine in March. Cal is even saying it - "we'll be fine".

Yea, Cal, you'll be fine....the kids that go to the NBA and get paid will be fine, but the program you're in charge of mails in another season so you can run your NBA farm team experiment.

Some people start loving the coach like he’s a family member so they have a hard time turning on him.... but that’s crazy. You can love someone and see they aren’t right for holding your child...

I love my mom but she’s not watching my 7 year old with autism ... he gets outside on her and she lets him roam the yard alone.... she’s been nuts in her old age on many things.... but I still love her and always will.

Love cal and always will but his way is no longer right for UK. Hopefully he sees that and changes everything ... but the older people get the more stuck in their ways they become

We’ve lost 13 of our last 28 games against non mid major schools

Let that sink in. Everyone that acts like things are fine.... they are not fine. This is tubbys last two years bad. But cal is white so he gets better treatment from some people
Because he’s white? Gtfo with that stupidity. A title with a runner up and two other FF’s Is why Cal has earned respect. If he continues to struggle and put together a string of Tubby like seasons then he probably won’t be here for very long. BCG was white and you saw what happened to him. Take your identity politics and stuff it up your ass.

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
Because he’s white? Gtfo with that stupidity. A title with a runner up and two other FF’s Is why Cal has earned respect. If he continues to struggle and put together a string of Tubby like seasons then he probably won’t be here for very long. BCG was white and you saw what happened to him. Take your identity politics and stuff it up your ass.

Tubby had a title , 4 elite 8’s. Bogans doesn’t get injured we make the title game at least... tubby never went to the NIT.....

I’m not defending tubby ... he should of gone. But defending cal when he is struggling is for a reason. And sadly one reason might be color with at least some people.

Maybe it’s not you but it is for some... and it might be for some without them even realizing it because as a white person we tend to gravitate to people like us... it happens with all races

Chinese people think Yao Ming hung the moon in basketball and would take him over Shaq a decade ago..... African Americans loved Obama.... need I go on?

x100

I don't want Cal to go. I want him to end the NBA farm team mentality and accept that in order to win at the highest levels here he is going to have to change - which in my mind is developing continuity year over year.

He may not want that , I have no idea why he doesn't because his approach is significantly harder than having returning veteran players who are ready to start the season knowing how to play. He may think he can get the next Anthony Davis in 2020. What once seemed like a lock for UK now seems like an uphill battle We've gone from being in the conversation for a national championship to being in the conversation for recruiting a one and done.

But I would hope the first thing he does is address this mentality you have to leave the program as soon as you can, and start preaching about how long term stays for in the margins guys will improve your financial situation down the road.

Personally I don't think he would even consider it. He wants to be known as the players first coach and I think he'll do that until he leaves. That is *his* priority

I don't want Cal to go. I want him to end the NBA farm team mentality and accept that in order to win at the highest levels here he is going to have to change - which in my mind is developing continuity year over year.

He may not want that , I have no idea why he doesn't because his approach is significantly harder than having returning veteran players who are ready to start the season knowing how to play. He may think he can get the next Anthony Davis in 2020. What once seemed like a lock for UK now seems like an uphill battle We've gone from being in the conversation for a national championship to being in the conversation for recruiting a one and done.

But I would hope the first thing he does is address this mentality you have to leave the program as soon as you can, and start preaching about how long term stays for in the margins guys will improve your financial situation down the road.

Personally I don't think he would even consider it. He wants to be known as the players first coach and I think he'll do that until he leaves. That is *his* priority

How many years do we throw away wishing Cal would change when he won’t? It’s gonna take the nba doing away with one and done before Cal changes and I don’t want to waste another 4-6 years

Tubby had a title , 4 elite 8’s. Bogans doesn’t get injured we make the title game at least... tubby never went to the NIT.....

I’m not defending tubby ... he should of gone. But defending cal when he is struggling is for a reason. And sadly one reason might be color with at least some people.

Maybe it’s not you but it is for some... and it might be for some without them even realizing it because as a white person we tend to gravitate to people like us... it happens with all races

Chinese people think Yao Ming hung the moon in basketball and would take him over Shaq a decade ago..... African Americans loved Obama.... need I go on?
I didn’t even mention the Elite 8’s Cal has on his resume. That’s because we don’t hang banners for those kind of seasons. Cal’s resume dwarfs anything that Tubby did here other than they both had a title.

Bringing the race of either coach into their treatment is about as absurd as it gets. You don’t have to look very hard to find plenty of criticism of Cal on this very board. I would assume the majority of posters here are white so your theory of him getting better treatment because he’s white is pure ignorance. As I pointed out BCG was white and only lasted two seasons. Where was his white privilege? Lol

Cals strung together 4 years equal to tubbys last 4 years (if this season is going the way it seems). And yet people still are still worshipping cal and hated tubby.

With some it’s the recruiting gives them misguided hope for the next year .... you want to bash that psychological aspect too?
A big part of the Tubby dislike was the over the top backlash someone received for speaking their mind about his coaching acumen.

People were banned from posting at whatever this variation of the site was, the mods locked down threads, etc for people who were fed up with what they were seeing on the court. There was little leash on it and that turned up the frustration on Tubby.

Everyone learned from that time and the board is more accepting of people framing their concerns.

Cal also rebuilt the program - rebuilt doesn't even accurately described what he did from Gillispie taking a down program from Tubby and driving it into the ground.

Cal came in and what people thought would be a 3 to 5 yea rebuilding did it overnight with recruiting, took down #1 seeds the following year and won a championship in 3.

You can't look at what Cal has done in complete isolation of just the last 4 years - primarily for 2 reasons - what he did works. Tubby inherited a team and a program on top. He then went about changing the program to fit him and his work ethic.

and that leads to the second reason - Cal's work ethic. He isn't dialing it down like it was so obvious about Tubby. He is still hitting it hard, maybe too hard.

So to me there is a big difference in comparing Cal having a run of frustrating seasons to Tubby's spiral down. But doesn't change that I believe Cal has to implement change in order to stop it.

Reactions: skcatfan
Dude he makes 8 million dollars a year!! Double digit loss seasons are not ok!

Reactions: Wildcat-in-STL
How many years do we throw away wishing Cal would change when he won’t? It’s gonna take the nba doing away with one and done before Cal changes and I don’t want to waste another 4-6 years

not sure but 1. he's earned the right to fix it and 2. No one is yet to provide a replacement name that can come in and pick up where Cal left off.

Not to mention Barnhart isn't about to start thinking of replacing Cal or even hinting Cal should change his approach. Barnhart is risk averse.

Reactions: awf
not sure but 1. he's earned the right to fix it and 2. No one is yet to provide a replacement name that can come in and pick up where Cal left off.

Not to mention Barnhart isn't about to start thinking of replacing Cal or even hinting Cal should change his approach. Barnhart is risk averse.

Barnhart is a problem. Basketball blue bloods need basketball first AD’s

I didn’t even mention the Elite 8’s Cal has on his resume. That’s because we don’t hang banners for those kind of seasons. Cal’s resume dwarfs anything that Tubby did here other than they both had a title.

Bringing the race of either coach into their treatment is about as absurd as it gets. You don’t have to look very hard to find plenty of criticism of Cal on this very board. I would assume the majority of posters here are white so your theory of him getting better treatment because he’s white is pure ignorance. As I pointed out BCG was white and only lasted two seasons. Where was his white privilege? Lol

Notice how you don’t address 13 losses to our last 28 power conf opponents. You focused on the white comment... focus on what really matters. How awful we are

So you are OK with Cal recruiting lower rated players, because that's the only way to ensure guys stick around and don't look at the professional ranks.

Reactions: awf
Notice how you don’t address 13 losses to our last 28 power conf opponents. You focused on the white comment... focus on what really matters. How awful we are
I guess you missed the part where I said Cal won’t be here very long if he doesn’t get things fixed. You’re basically trying to say Cal and Tubby had similar results and anyone without a brain dead agenda knows that’s a complete lie.

So you are OK with Cal recruiting lower rated players, because that's the only way to ensure guys stick around and don't look at the professional ranks.

Horse crap. Beyond horse crap. We have five stars that are not projected first rounders. Every other team gets those guys back except for us. You act like we’d have to recruit 40-100 ranked guys. No. We just have to get our 10-25 guys to stay until they are first rounders like other teams

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT